• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Waiting for Spain Covid QR code.

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2021, 2023, 2024
I'm arriving in Madrid Wed morning but have not received my Spanish QR code for the SpTH app. I'm fully vaccinated and have my US vaccine card. Also took a PCR test last night and waiting on results Has anyone been in s similar situation ?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm arriving in Madrid Wed morning but have not received my Spanish QR code for the SpTH app. I'm fully vaccinated and have my US vaccine card. Also took a PCR test last night and waiting on results Has anyone been in s similar situation ?
Hi TonyMac did you put your airplane seat number in? I waited until i had an assigned seat and did this and got it back immediately

We are in the same situation - also arrive next Wednesday in Madrid. My understanding is that Spain is supposed to send the QR Code within 48 hours of departure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
FWIW, I have filled in the SpTH QR form a few times, and in my experience you receive the QR code immediately, as soon as you have completed the form (which you can do only within the last 48 hours before your flight) and you have pressed the final confirmation button.

A few people have reported problems with the SpTH QR app but none with the online application process. And just a general thought: Try to avoid the automatic translation option offered in your browser; this can cause issues with interactive forms and requests that you have to fill in. Always use or switch to the English language version of the website when it is available which is the case for the Spanish SpTH QR website.

Question. Can you create your account early then fill out the questionnaire within 48 hrs of our flight or do you create and complete questionnaire within 48 hrs?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Happy to share I landed in Madrid today without a QR code. Just before the passport station, people without QR codes were directed to tables to complete paper version of the SpTH app. Was asked if I was vaccinated, the agent initialed the form and I went through passport and Covid check points wo problems. Hope others have similar good luck !

Question. Can you create your account early then fill out the questionnaire within 48 hrs of our flight or do you create and complete questionnaire within 48 hrs?
You can start completing the questionnaire at any time. You can even start a second time if you made a mistake that you then cannot correct. And as you can see from the previous post, if all fails you can fill out a paper form. The system is fairly forgiving ...

The website says that you must have the QR code before you board your flight for Spain and that the air or sea transport companies must inform you of the obligation to present the QR code generated by Spain Travel Health before boarding and the consequences of non-compliance or falsification. But contrary to this, they apparently even let you fill in the paper form after arrival at Madrid but this is only possible as long as only a few passengers fall into this category. If everyone did it, it would take a lot longer for everyone to pass through the health check stations at Madrid airport.

You can start completing the questionnaire at any time. You can even start a second time if you made a mistake that you then cannot correct. And as you can see from the previous post, if all fails you can fill out a paper form. The system is fairly forgiving ...

The website says that you must have the QR code before you board your flight for Spain and that the air or sea transport companies must inform you of the obligation to present the QR code generated by Spain Travel Health before boarding and the consequences of non-compliance or falsification. But contrary to this, they apparently even let you fill in the paper form after arrival at Madrid but this is only possible as long as only a few passengers fall into this category. If everyone did it, it would take a lot longer for everyone to pass through the health check stations at Madrid airport.
Thank you! I have downloaded the app and the radar covid app as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi TonyMac did you put your airplane seat number in? I waited until i had an assigned seat and did this and got it back immediately
I do not have a seat number with American Airlines, I think because I purchased a basic economy flight. My status under “my trips” is listed as unfinished. Do I wait until I get a seat number 48 hours before my trip to get my QR code?

Exactly. Once I hit the 48 hour mark, I could complete and submit. Then got my code in email within minutes.
So you did not complete the questionnaire earlier than your 48 hrs? I thought I could create the account than go back in to fill information. Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So you did not complete the questionnaire earlier than your 48 hrs? I thought I could create the account than go back in to fill information. Thanks!
I was thinking that the system would send you an email to let you know it is time to complete your questionnaire. The Hawaii app does this.

I was thinking that the system would send you an email to let you know it is time to complete your questionnaire. The Hawaii app does this.

There are no reminder emails. If you start your application right now you will have a better idea of what you can fill in now and what has to wait until it's 48 hours before your flight.

If you are waiting for the QR code for more than a few minutes, you did not go through all the steps in the app or on the webpage.

In the last step of the app, you must click on Select to confirm and on Get QR at the very bottom. If you haven't filled in your seat number yet, the app will tell you that you have to do this first but you must then also do the last step and confirm.

(Click to enlarge)
Last step SpTh.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I arrived in Paris,France on Sun. They didn't ask to see any of the codes or declaration letters that are posted on the France National website. They never even sent me their QR code. They only wanted my passport and my vaccination card. Now that I'm here there's been no problem going to restaurants or the Louvre. They either ask for nothing or my vaccination card and a mask. I suspect Spain will be similar.

In the SpTH app, below is a screenshot of the last step. You need to click on the button before Select to confirm and then on the button at the very bottom that says Get QR. If you haven't filled in your seat number yet, the app will tell you that you have to do this first. From the description of those who have been waiting for a QR code it is not clear whether they ever reached this last stage of the application. IOW, it is not sufficient to just enter your seat number which has to be done in an earlier step, you actually then have to click/save and continue repeatedly until this last step.

View attachment 108191
About an hour ago, I purchased a seat on American for the first leg of my trip, which is Cincinnati to Chicago, however I could not purchase for my flight Chicago to Madrid because it was on Iberia. Would that first seat number get me a QR CODE now?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Would that first seat number get me a QR CODE now?
Erm ... the details that you have to enter into the SpTH application are the details for the last leg of the trip, ie the flight number and seat number of the flight to Spain.

The app doesn't check these numbers.

While the question has been answered by the commenters above - when I was in line boarding for my flight to Madrid on Monday there were a number of passengers who had still not applied for their QR code - they were moved to the side and were able to complete the steps in a matter of minutes even while people were boarding the buses to the plane. So as people have said - you can complete step one any time- but step two ( seat number and general health questions) can only be answered after 48 hours- but then the confirmation is immediate - technically you can do all the steps less than 48 hours in advance as my fellow passengers did!

Last edited:
Erm ... the details that you have to enter into the SpTH application are the details for the last leg of the trip, ie the flight number and seat number of the flight to Spain.

The app doesn't check these numbers.
So sorry for my lack of understanding but I think you’re saying that Iberia has to give me a seat number for my flight to Spain which I am told is not available right now before I can request a QR code onSpTH. Thanks for replying so promptly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So sorry for my lack of understanding but I think you’re saying that Iberia has to give me a seat number for my flight to Spain which I am told is not available right now before I can request a QR code onSpTH. Thanks for replying so promptly.
I apologise for my unclear answer. You are right: You enter your seat number for the Iberia flight and then you request the QR code by pressing the "Save and continue" button. And you will get the QR code immediately.

About an hour ago, I purchased a seat on American for the first leg of my trip, which is Cincinnati to Chicago, however I could not purchase for my flight Chicago to Madrid because it was on Iberia. Would that first seat number get me a QR CODE now?
I didn't purchase ahead, also basic economy.at some point in check in you are assigned a seat.then it goes quick.no, i didn't get in the app ahead. I had some trouble finding my qr code on my phone.although I knew I had it!

We are in the same situation - also arrive next Wednesday in Madrid. My understanding is that Spain is supposed to send the QR Code within 48 hours of departure.
You can only apply for the code 48 hours before departure. I was asked for the code multiple times before leaving the states. Then again upon entering Spain via Madrid.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We couldn’t board our plane without the QR code but as I mentioned this could even be done while in line to board. I was asked for it on arrival in Madrid along with either my PCR result or vaccine certificate ( I was arriving from the UAE) but either was fine - I showed my PCR result and went straight through- I had both

I was asked for it on arrival in Madrid along with either my PCR result or vaccine certificate ( I was arriving from the UAE) but either was fine - I showed my PCR result and went straight through- I had both
Just for general info: there is a difference between the QR codes for arrivals from the USA and from the UAE.

If you apply for a QR code for a flight from the USA or from Canada for example, you receive a Fast Control QR code.

If you apply for a flight from the UAE or from Mexico to Spain for example, you receive a Document Control QR code.

Happy to share I landed in Madrid today without a QR code. Just before the passport station, people without QR codes were directed to tables to complete paper version of the SpTH app. Was asked if I was vaccinated, the agent initialed the form and I went through passport and Covid check points wo problems. Hope others have similar good luck !
Hi TonyMac,
which country did you fly from? Were you asked to show a QR code at the departure point? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi TonyMac,
which country did you fly from? Were you asked to show a QR code at the departure point? Thanks.
I just flew into Barcelona from Toronto. I was asked for the QR Code at the Toronto airport at check in. In Barcelona there were also tables to fill out the forms.

Gosh ... I noticed this for the very first time today, and I have been dozens of times on the SpTH website. There is a tab that says "Passenger Guide". Click on it and you can download a detailed, 24-page well-made User Guide for the process of filling in your application to obtain the Spanish QR code.

If you don't receive this QR code within minutes of thinking that you have completed the application, you need to check your steps again. You left something out.

Last edited:
If you don't receive this QR code within minutes of thinking that you have completed the application, you need to check your steps again. You left something out.
@Kathar1na
I have found just now on a webpage of a certain travel portal that the EU official covid certificate issued by a EU country (one that granted me entry to France without any additional requirements in July) can be used to enter Spain as an alternative to this SpTH QR code - if you come from another EU country. I wonder if you have ever encountered this info coming from any official source? I am obviously going to fill the SpTH form on my phone anyways, but maybe it is unnecessary if you are a EU citizens coming from EU country? I will have both QR codes with me, but on arrival to Spain I will probably try to show the official EU covid pass first to see if it accepted.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Happy Penguin, the Spanish health/airport QR code and the EU Digital Covid Certificate code are two completely different animals.

We EU citizens have to request the Spanish QR code just like everybody else when we want to fly to Spain, and in order to do so we can, or even have to, upload our EU DCC certificate into the SpTH app/website. The Spanish system performs an automatic verification test on it (it is a question of seconds). It's all explained in the User Guide, and I've also tried it out. The advantage? You get a FAST CONTROL QR code in return, and not a DOCUMENTAL CONTROL QR code. This may speed up your passing through the airport of arrival but I don't know whether it makes much of a difference because apparently they control mainly that arriving passengers have their QR code and they don't actually check your documents that prove your vaccination or negative test result.

PS: I've never seen that Spain has developed a checking app for the EU DCC, unlike most other countries, so I can't say for certain that a French EU code created on the basis of the data of a non-EU vaccination card would actually pass a verification check in Spain. Try it! I know that the checking apps of some of the other EU countries will detect that a vital element is missing there. :cool:

I don't know why Spain developed their specific system.

Last edited:
I'm coming from the UK and today I got my QR code immediately after I confirmed all the details.

As mentioned above, there are several points where you must save or confirm your options to progress.

Less painful than I was expecting

To obtain a Spanish QR code I had to reveal my true purpose of coming to Spain :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20210909-072112_SpTH.jpg
From now on, you can call me Bond.
James Bond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back