• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waiting is torturous!

RachelNZ

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April/May 2017
Portuguese Camino Apr/May 2019
I have 9 weeks to go until I can put my first foot on the path at SJPDP and time is dragging like a snail trail. I find life has become unbearable as all I want to do is start walking already!! Mundane chores and daily routines are driving me nuts as I tick off each day closer to my adventure.
Has anyone else had these feelings?? I just can't WAIT to get away on my own and away from all the responsibilities in my life.
Roll on April :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As Tom Petty sang in his song, 'The Waiting', "The Waiting is the hardest Part." Keep training while you are waiting. This includes walking and some core building exercises. Don't skimp on either. Your Camino will be so much more fun if you are in decent shape. Screen shot of my countdown timer.screenshot.jpg

I agree waiting can drive you nuts, especially when you don't know what wonderful things are waiting for you. That first step gives such a fantastic feeling, so all of you have a wonderful journey and don't forget to let us Guys & Girls that still have a while before we tread the road again, how you are getting on.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I feel the same way. I start my walk on April 11 from SJPP. Ben Franklin said:

those-have-a-short-lent-who-owe-money-to-be-paid-at-easter-

If this is correct then we all should be making plans to finish big chores before we leave.

Buen Camino

I have 9 weeks to go until I can put my first foot on the path at SJPDP and time is dragging like a snail trail. I find life has become unbearable as all I want to do is start walking already!! Mundane chores and daily routines are driving me nuts as I tick off each day closer to my adventure.
Has anyone else had these feelings?? I just can't WAIT to get away on my own and away from all the responsibilities in my life.

I am really anxious to get going as well, even more so after the nearly 80cm of snow we had in the last 24 hours here. I've been passing the time with trying to minimize the weight of my backpack, going for the occasional walk along the river to test out my poles, and browsing this forum from time to time. So, try and fit a little camino into your daily life if you can - it's working for me. But I can't wait to see the sun again in Spain along the camino - hopefully it will make an appearance.

Attachments

• IMG_6293.JPG
    IMG_6293.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 12
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You guys are all great. Hang in there - it will come before you know it! And once you're on the trail there will be moments you wish you could be sitting in your comfy home drinking tea and checking out the Camino Forum :D

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!

That's true... this reminds me of the time when I'm doing some strenuous training, in tough terrain, in sweltering heat or rough weather... and that song plays into my head... "we are, we are, we are the crazy kids, we are the crazy people" :D However I will exchange the Camino experience for nothing, and I'm very looking forward to continue this journey which I've started 3 years ago when I experienced the Camino for the first time :)

I've planned this year's Camino about a year ago. It seems a very long time time ago. I've started the countdown at that time... 12 months, 11 months... now it's 7 weeks... and it's getting nearer and nearer :)

I am starting my first walk at the end of March, as a compulsive planner is it so hard to step into the unknown but I am so eager to start, to turn the phone off, not checking work emails, social media etc, in ways being anonymous. Work influence the departure date and the route. In six weeks the "what ifs" will be no longer.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I start on April 6, and it is always on my mind! While I have planned 35 days overall and am meeting a gang of 10 in Sarria on May 6, the rest is just going to proceed as serendipity dictates. So looking forward to the adventure...

I feel the same but I've got about 18 months to wait! The trials tribulations of being a manic planner!! It sounds like a rare opportunity to get away from the hum drum of daily living!
not long for you, RachelNZ!

I'm with you there! Having to work around commitments is painful. I even have a countdown clock on my phone so I can torture myself further lol.

448days to go.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Rachel
When do you start again? I think it is just after me ... I start on 1 April. Trying to walk as much as possible in the meantime, but yes, if I could, I'd be doing it now!

Hi Rachel
When do you start again? I think it is just after me ... I start on 1 April. Trying to walk as much as possible in the meantime, but yes, if I could, I'd be doing it now!

Hi! I start at STJPDP on the 19th April. I'm
Also trying to fit in as much walking as I can but just want to get going! Good luck for your walk! :)

Hi! I start at STJPDP on the 19th April. I'm
Also trying to fit in as much walking as I can but just want to get going! Good luck for your walk! :)
Oh I remember now ... 19th. We may well miss each other.
Yeah, the waiting is torturous. Just hope I don't start walking and wish I was back at home with a flat white on the couch!!!! Ahem. I'm sure I won't!
Good luck with yours too!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Rachel, My friend and I leave in 13 weeks and one day (but who's counting?!!!). Like you, we cannot wait, but it's a matter of waiting it out and living one day at a time until then, just like you will on the Camino. Buen Camino!

I'll start on June 5 and will do SJPP - Pamplona this time (last year Pamplona - Logrono) and walked for 2 days on Canary Islands recently just to make sure i get the spirits ready for El Camino.
When i retire i will do the whole walk.

I am really anxious to get going as well, even more so after the nearly 80cm of snow we had in the last 24 hours here. I've been passing the time with trying to minimize the weight of my backpack, going for the occasional walk along the river to test out my poles, and browsing this forum from time to time. So, try and fit a little camino into your daily life if you can - it's working for me. But I can't wait to see the sun again in Spain along the camino - hopefully it will make an appearance.

I can relate...I am from Barrie, ON - cannot stay ahead of the snow this year... however, my wait is incredibly long - I start August 31st, 2017. 189 days to go!
Buen Camino to all and Carpe Diem!!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh I remember now ... 19th. We may well miss each other.
Yeah, the waiting is torturous. Just hope I don't start walking and wish I was back at home with a flat white on the couch!!!! Ahem. I'm sure I won't!
Good luck with yours too!

@JKF ah no... you will be enjoying a flat white at the end of everyday, cheers!

1st post on the forum and wish to thank everyone for all your ideas and input that have helped so much!! Invaluable information....stepping foot on 1st camino in SJPP this may 15 or 16th!!! Excited, nervous and full of Joy!!!

We're starting our second Camino in late August. And we're meeting friends from our last Camino in SJPDP to begin our walk together.
Memories float back to me from last year's Camino. The meseta in the sunshine. Walking 5-7 k in the cooler darkness of the early mornings before stopping for naranja and Spanish tortilla breakfast. Walking alone. Blackberries on the trail. Beautiful churches. Quiet places to stop for a rest. Meeting new friends who have become dear friends. A shower after a long dusty walk. Tinto. A good nights rest. Ahhh! What a wonderful journey.

We're starting our second Camino in late August. And we're meeting friends from our last Camino in SJPDP to begin our walk together.
Memories float back to me from last year's Camino. The meseta in the sunshine. Walking 5-7 k in the cooler darkness of the early mornings before stopping for naranja and Spanish tortilla breakfast. Walking alone. Blackberries on the trail. Beautiful churches. Quiet places to stop for a rest. Meeting new friends who have become dear friends. A shower after a long dusty walk. Tinto. A good nights rest. Ahhh! What a wonderful journey.

Hola @Karen Cap! A friend @Tina-Marie Brownie and I will be at Orisson the night of the 31st - it would be cool if you were there as well. It will be my 2nd Camino as well... Tina's first.
Buen Camino,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm not sure of our exact dates yet. But we will be there close to the 31st! But our detailed plans have not been made yet. I'll probably wear a macabe skirt again. Maybe you will recognize me

HI Duane, When do you head out? Am also from the Vancouver area .

Hi! I leave for Europe at the end of march, starting the Camino around April 4!

am doing the same difference being.. leaving end of April, starting mid May....Have a great Camino!!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back