A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Wake up alarms?

Humbertico

Camino(s) past & future
Plan 2018
While staying in Albuerges how do people wake up early like 5:30 or 6 am. It would seem that if people are setting their phone alarms at different times people would hear it all over the rooms and wake up others. Recommendations? Thanks Peregrinos

Advertisment

Morgan Holmes

Every day is a path to walk.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances to Santiago from SJPDP (2014); Sahagún to Santiago (2018).
I have a "misfit" band that vibrates on my wrist. It actually makes no sound at all unless it is left on a hard surface. It is nonetheless very effective as an alarm. Many of the sport bands will do this, so if you have one, you can try it out. I'm not sure I'd recommend it unless you are a "quantified health" kind of person. That said, the misfit series is very inexpensive.

Ian L

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances summer 2017 (SJPP to Fromista)
Plan on returning in 2019 (Fromista to Santiago)
I got a cheap watch with a vibration alarm. It was the Timex Men's T49851 Expedition.

Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
While staying in Albuerges how do people wake up early like 5:30 or 6 am. It would seem that if people are setting their phone alarms at different times people would hear it all over the rooms and wake up others. Recommendations? Thanks Peregrinos
Unfortunately, too many pilgrims do set an audible alarm for 5:30, 6:00, etc. Please don't be one of them. Use the vibrate only alarm on your phone, or as suggested a vibrate alarm on a fitness tracker on your wrist.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
(2017)
Yes, or simply get up when the others do. Most of the places I've been the other peregrinos woke up early so I decided just to do the same and go with the flow. I didn't care if it was 5, 0530 or later. I just followed the flow. I mean, what's the hurry? The only one you have to catch up with is yourself...

Camino(s) past & future
(2017)
And one more thing if you want to start early: Arrange your stuff in the evening before you go to sleep, so you can find it quickly in the darkness, won't have to turn on the light and won't make noise. Especially the last thing! You will irritate everyone around you and for good reason. From I wake up till I'm out of the dorm it is maksimum five minutes. I grab my stuff and get out of the door. When I am outside I find a place to quietly arrange things, "arrange my self"(nature's call...). And I'm gone. 15 minutes to the max and I'm hopefully not bothering any one else who want to sleep in...

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Oporto (2018 - planned)
Yes, or simply get up when the others do. Most of the places I've been the other peregrinos woke up early so I decided just to do the same and go with the flow. I didn't care if it was 5, 0530 or later. I just followed the flow. I mean, what's the hurry? The only one you have to catch up with is yourself...
When we were walking in July and August we wanted to leave as early as we thought we were capable of to avoid as much as possible walking in the hottest part of the day. In other seasons that might not matter as much.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
It would seem that if people are setting their phone alarms at different times people would hear it all over the rooms and wake up others.
We do. Not to worry - you will have peregrino alarms. K1 said it best:
I don't need the alarm.
There is always someone with plastic bags ;)

Camino(s) past & future
2011-12-14-15-16-17-18CF
2013 Arles/Aragones
2015 & 2017 HærvejenDK
When I was a hospitalera once, I needed to get up very early, ~4:30a.m. because several guests wanted to get an early start to avoid the heat in June, and I wanted to make sure they had what they needed for breakfast and to say goodbye. After a few days, I finally realized that even though the earphones were plugged in, the alarm was not muted to the outside world. I was in the hospitalero room and no one complained, but I felt bad about that.

Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
When I was a hospitalera once, I needed to get up very early, ~4:30a.m. because several guests wanted to get an early start to avoid the heat in June, and I wanted to make sure they had what they needed for breakfast and to say goodbye. After a few days, I finally realized that even though the earphones were plugged in, the alarm was not muted to the outside world. I was in the hospitalero room and no one complained, but I felt bad about that.
I tested that out at home at realized it wouldn't work. I think that you might be able to download an app that will play the alarm through earbuds.
However if you have headphones plugged in when the phone rings, it will not be heard. I discovered this in an albergue one night when I fell asleep early. My phone is set for "do not disturb" between 10:00 and 7:00, so it won't have audible notifications or ring with an incoming call.
But I awoke just before 10:00 pm to my phone ringing. In my half asleep state I had no idea what time it was, and was horrified that I might be waking the others in the room. However, once I became fully awake I realized that I was the only one who could hear it. :)

Camino(s) past & future
Depart Los Angeles on September 19, 2016
I rose at 5 a.m. to get an early start on my day. I set the alarm on my iPhone to music and had no problem or backlash from fellow pilgrims.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
When I was on camino with my cousin a few years back she held/attached something to her hand which she had set to vibrate. It woke her up in the morning. I neither saw nor heard it and don’t know what it looked like.

AZgirl

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2012 , via de la Plata 2014
Madrid/frances Sept/Oct 2017
Next : Levante Sept 2019
Possibly but there's no perfection when you have with 20, 30 or pilgrims sleeping within feet of one another. You do the best you can to respect your fellow travelers.
Possibly but there's no perfection when you have with 20, 30 or pilgrims sleeping within feet of one another. You do the best you can to respect your fellow travelers.
Can you imagine if all thirty pilgrims had audible alarms going off at various times?

If you don't move around much, I've been able to learn to sleep with headphones in (also works as earplugs) then you can hear it if you can't wake up to vibrations.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Donna Sch Equipment Questions 5

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 102 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 165 25.4%