• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waking up in refugios

baron

Hello all,
May be a silly question, but: in the (municipal, not private) albergues/refugios, how do you know when to wake up?
I'm already anticipating the "the snorers will keep you up all night, you'll already be awake" and "the folks who start out at 5:30 AM with their torches and plastic bags make enough noise to wake the dead", but apart from that?
I know in some refugios, the hosts get everyone up at an appointed hour, but--if folks want to be sure to get an early (6-6:30 AM) start, should we take travel alarms or something? I'm personally worried about oversleeping and starting my walking days late.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you take an alarm, take a vibrating one that no one else would hear. But, I found myself waking up to the rustling of people from 5am onward. I would fall back asleep until the next sound gets me. On and off until I get up. So chances are you don't need an alarm, others will wake you.
By the way, I was one of those late starters which allowed me to walk between the crowds. That was nice, too.
Lillian

What I found, and what was one of the most deeply satisfying experiences on the Camino for me, is that your body's circadian rhythms will begin to coincide with those of the earth. After a few days of the Camino routine, it will become plain old "natural" to wake up before the dawn (with or without the bag rustlers), and get out on the road so you can make time and distance before the sun gets high and oppressive. Then you'll eat a small meal, find a place to take a siesta (what else are you going to do in the midday heat?), and then walk some more in the afternoon as the earth starts to cool. Farmers have been living this way for eons- modern day peregrinos are relearning the practice.

Out in the manmade world we constantly mask the earth's rhythms with lights, alarm clocks, air conditioning, etc. On the Camino, you'll find your personal rhythms will synch with those of the earth and nature- I found it was a profound feeling to experience.

So, I wouldn't even bring the alarm...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
..... and, if you are the last person sleeping, the hospitalero will soon wake you up and send you on your way!

sillydoll said:
..... and, if you are the last person sleeping, the hospitalero will soon wake you up and send you on your way!

I reckon you deserve a special certificate if you are the last person sleeping in some of the noisier albergues. I can't imagine ever managing to win such a thing though!!
Margaret

Margaret, in 2007 we met a delightful young man from Belguim. He was having a ball on the camino - partying and staying out as late as possible, the last to leave the albergue in the morning, spending restful hours at cafes and bars along the way, snoozing in the shade for a couple of hours at mid-day and always the last to arrive at the next albergue. Hospitaleros took pity on him because he always looked exhausted - as though he had walked much further than anyone else! We would leave the albergue before sun-up and arrive around 2pm. We never saw Tomas along the way but he regularly staggered into the same albergue after 7pm. He always got a bed, albeit a mattress on the floor.
Did anyone else meet Tomas - and his lovely girlfriend in September 2007? I 'adopted' him and he always greeted me enthusiastically as "Moeder' whenever we met!

Attachments

• Tomas at Boadilla.JPG
    Tomas at Boadilla.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,032
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I almost laughed out loud! There are many very thoughtful people on the camino who talk loudly,rustle their bloody plastic bags,make phone calls,turn on all the lights,have alarms going off,banging doors etc etc.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.