• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waking up in the night

Nathen

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (SJPDP to Finisterre), Sept-Oct 2019
Hi -

I'll be walking the Camino Francés (and going on to Finisterre after that) from Sept. 7th to Oct. 17th, and I have a concern... I haven't slept through the night in years. I'm hoping to always get a bottom bunk, and to sleep near a bathroom, so that I minimally disturb other sleepers in the night. Short of always getting to an albergue as early as possible, does anyone have any other insights/suggestions? Thanks.

- Nathen

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always wake up around 3.30-4 and stay awake for an hour before I go back to sleep. I just read on my phone, inside my sleeping bag so the light won't bother anyone.

No complaints so far, I think just having something that will keep you quiet is good enough.

Hi -

I'll be walking the Camino Francés (and going on to Finisterre after that) from Sept. 7th to Oct. 17th, and I have a concern... I haven't slept through the night in years. I'm hoping to always get a bottom bunk, and to sleep near a bathroom, so that I minimally disturb other sleepers in the night. Short of always getting to an albergue as early as possible, does anyone have any other insights/suggestions? Thanks.

- Nathen
Nathan, welcome, and join the human race - well part of it anyway! Depending on your budget, you can book private accommodation. Otherwise, just live in hope, and when you get to your albergue, have a quiet word with the hospitalero/a who is registering you. With luck, you will manage just fine. Could happen, with the fact of walking around 7 hours a day, that you will be so tired you sleep the sleep of the just.
Wishing you a wonderful camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I read recently that humans are actually designed for two night sleep periods. The article said the answer was to get up for an hour and then go back to bed - don't know if that helps.

Thing is, folk do get up to go for a pee in the night and barefoot or sock footed you should be able to do the same without disturbing ... if you won't be going back to bed maybe see if you can leave your pack stuff somewhere safe so you only have to slide your sleeping bag and safety stash out with you?
Defintely lower bunk though!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wake up every night at 4 am home or away, this is not a problem on the camino as I don't fall asleep in the afternoon whilst walking, at home I have a tendency to nod off at 2 o'clock. Not a good idea whilst driving.

My advice:

DONT get a place near the bathroom - NO WAY. Because everyone else will disturb you when they go. Best spot is furthest away from the bathroom ... that way nobody walks past you to go to the toilet.

You cant always be sure of a bottom bunk either.

If you are young(er) and strong(er), some places will allocate a top bunk to you, on the basis that someone older or infirm may have greater needs than you. I've had times when my feet have been painful and climbing up was hard .. so I also went bottom bunk, but when a much much older person came in, who clearly was in worse shape than I .. I swapped.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Nathen
If you're thinking albergue dormitories are silent places where a little activity can disturb, your preconceptions may be about to be adjusted. There's often quite a lot of snoring and rustling and people to-ing and fro-ing. Last October we had a guy who for about an hour from 2am repeated some kind of italian liturgy. Whether because it was mildly gothic-scary or in respect for his religious practice, or that it was freezing cold, none of us got up and confronted him about it.
I nearly always have to get up about 3-4am. But I feel, as an old camino lag, more comfortable taking a top bunk nowadays and just carefully climbing/sliding down to the floor. I think it's pretty likely you'll start out being concerned about this but after a week it won't seem like an issue. Buen camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Take ear phones, download and listen to an audio book on your phone.

I listen to a book on tape or my relax sleep music. Just do in a considerate way what you would do at home. I take this back who knows if you are step dancing or hous cleaning or like me walking the dogs. I meant see what helps you at home.
Bon na notte

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My advice:

DONT get a place near the bathroom - NO WAY. Because everyone else will disturb you when they go. Best spot is furthest away from the bathroom ... that way nobody walks past you to go to the toilet.

You cant always be sure of a bottom bunk either.

If you are young(er) and strong(er), some places will allocate a top bunk to you, on the basis that someone older or infirm may have greater needs than you. I've had times when my feet have been painful and climbing up was hard .. so I also went bottom bunk, but when a much much older person came in, who clearly was in worse shape than I .. I swapped.

I actually prefer a top bunk. Bedbugs always seem to get the folks in the lower bunks. Just my personal observation...

I had some upper bunks, but I msinly had lower bunks. Don't worry too much on that score. I am not a through the night sleeper at home, but on the camino I slept very well even with a bathroom visit. Being really tired helped I think. Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi -

- Nathen
Hi -

- Nathen
I left every morning about 5 AM in the dark before everyone woke up. I fell in love with the stars and the quiet, my time to feel the awesomeness of the spirit. I fell into it because I only sleep about 6 hrs and I really liked leaving at first verses laying their in the dark waiting and like I said I did miss some things but that alone time under the stars made my camino. I got so when I checked into I would get the bunk closest to the door. I would sometimes leave my backpack, minus my valuables and important paperwork which I slept with outside the room. I
always asked when I checked in if it was OK to leave that early. I slept in my clothes for the day and quietly slid out of my sleeping liner and gathered my stuff assembling my back pack outside the room. The only light I used was from my phone screen to inspect I had all of my stuff from my bunk when I left. The Stars, the moon of the dark, the quiet voice of God as I felt the energy of all of those pilgrims who walked before me was what made my experience so so special. Also I planned snacks, breakfast sort of things I could eat as I walked in the mornings before things opened.

Hi -

- Nathen
One word: hotel. (The snorers will/could/most definitely will drive you insane.) I did the albergue thing for awhile but had to make the switch. Bit more expensive but you still meet everyone on the road and in the town squares. (And the bottom bunk is usually reserved for the elderly, the injured, etc. If you're fit, they give you the top bunk, most of the time.)

I left every morning about 5 AM in the dark before everyone woke up. I fell in love with the stars and the quiet, my time to feel the awesomeness of the spirit. I fell into it because I only sleep about 6 hrs and I really liked leaving at first verses laying their in the dark waiting and like I said I did miss some things but that alone time under the stars made my camino. I got so when I checked into I would get the bunk closest to the door. I would sometimes leave my backpack, minus my valuables and important paperwork which I slept with outside the room. I
always asked when I checked in if it was OK to leave that early. I slept in my clothes for the day and quietly slid out of my sleeping liner and gathered my stuff assembling my back pack outside the room. The only light I used was from my phone screen to inspect I had all of my stuff from my bunk when I left. The Stars, the moon of the dark, the quiet voice of God as I felt the energy of all of those pilgrims who walked before me was what made my experience so so special. Also I planned snacks, breakfast sort of things I could eat as I walked in the mornings before things opened.
Thanks SO much for your reply "vwzoo" - it deeply resonated with me. May I be blessed to have an experience like yours. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One word: hotel. (The snorers will/could/most definitely will drive you insane.) I did the albergue thing for awhile but had to make the switch. Bit more expensive but you still meet everyone on the road and in the town squares. (And the bottom bunk is usually reserved for the elderly, the injured, etc. If you're fit, they give you the top bunk, most of the time.)
Thanks, John. I'm financially unable to choose the hotel option for all of my Camino, AND I may well treat myself to one from time to time to enjoy some privacy! :)

Just do what you gotta do. Gotta pee at four am? Go ahead. Just be as quiet as possible. Believe me, nobody in the albergue cares.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
this is the part of the camino i worry about (starting next wednesday i hope),not the walking but the shared accommodation ,still pondering if i should take a tent (1.5kg) ,got an emergency bivvy maybe i will stick with that

this is the part of the camino i worry about (starting next wednesday i hope),not the walking but the shared accommodation ,still pondering if i should take a tent (1.5kg) ,got an emergency bivvy maybe i will stick with that
It's the part that I worry about too, Bilbo - AND, I think it's an opportunity for us to trust that all will be well, as it has been for MANY hikers/pilgrims before us! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well started Thursday so we are in Pamplona, you do soon get used to the situation and having an amazing time, snoring going on but as said you are so tired you sleep through,
Also I didn't expect the pyranees to be so tough but also so breathtaking,
It’s virtually all easier now.

Just getting a cafene hit before setting off from pamplona, it was very noisy in the jesus Mary hostel last night, snoring and Saturday night revellers outside, but sort of enjoyed that, can understand why people have an extra night in Pamplona, beautiful architecture and vibrant atmospherie

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.