• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk and knit - Camino Frances

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016, CP 2017, CF SJPP-Astorga 2021
Should I have room for 0.8 kg yarn and needles in my backpack to knit another sweater during the Camino Frances?
(I hope it will be able to start in SJPP early April 2021 - if possible and safe - or later.)

During Camino Frances in March a few years ago - I did knit this sweater for myself ( I always knit for other people) in lots of green shades in alpacca and silk - mostly while walking. (But during snow, wind and rain and some hilly or muddy parts, I enjoyed my trekking poles more.) It felt like a luxury to knit and walk while possible and it was so nice that locals (elder) and pilgrims made contact and talked about my knitting project - and shortly thereafter - everything else. Camino Frances is perfect for knitting (as I see it: mostly flat), bring your own yarn and needles (preferably wood to knit silently) - smaller or larger projects - and knit while you walk or during breaks. Anyone who has knitting experiences during any camino?
IMG_20200815_174219 (1).jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have thought about bringing a small project, socks maybe, but haven't yet. I walked briefly with a woman who was knitting and she also enjoyed the social aspect of it in the afternoons or evenings in a village and how it opened up conversation especially with local people curious about her project.

Your sweater is beautiful!

Should I have room for 0.8 kg yarn and needles in my backpack to knit another sweater during the Camino Frances?
(I hope it will be able to start in SJPP early April 2021 - if possible and safe - or later.)

During Camino Frances in March a few years ago - I did knit this sweater for myself ( I always knit for other people) in lots of green shades in alpacca and silk - mostly while walking. (But during snow, wind and rain and some hilly or muddy parts, I enjoyed my trekking poles more.) It felt like a luxury to knit and walk while possible and it was so nice that locals (elder) and pilgrims made contact and talked about my knitting project - and shortly thereafter - everything else. Camino Frances is perfect for knitting (as I see it: mostly flat), bring your own yarn and needles (preferably wood to knit silently) - smaller or larger projects - and knit while you walk or during breaks. Anyone who has knitting experiences during any camino?
View attachment 80910
The first time I took lace weight, and a small circular with wooden tips and made a shawl (simple pattern). I didnt knit while I walked, but we have a seriously long plane trip, and you can only watch so many movies. Whilst on Camino I knit after walking, often after dinner whilst chatting with people.
The next time I took lace weight and a crochet hook. Spanish ladies were really intrigued to see me crocheting.
So I didnt take enough yarn to knit a sweater.
Last time I took my crocheting, but due to taking other people, husband and grandson - didnt really get much done.
I did find wool shops in Burgos, close to each other and one in Leon that was never open, but didnt find any others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

View attachment 80910
As a Knitter and a Pilgrim I commend both your choice of hobby and the proposed timing of your Camino.

I walked part of my first Camino with a Swiss teacher and her Chilean teacher friend. The only time she didn't walk and knit (socks) was when it rained (the whole of the Mesata) and the hike up O Cebriero (it was a lot rougher back in 2001). She also taught me the rudiments of playing the recorder.

I still can't turn a heel but I can play "Tom Tom, the Piper's Son" and "Au Claire de la Lune".

I can hardly tell you not to carry so much yarn when I carry 100g sock yarn and far too many watercolours, fountain pens and a hard cover journal!
Should you be interested there’s a lovely yarn shop right on the way in to Santiago too - on Rua De San Pedro (just down the road from the best churrería!)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
During Camino Frances in March a few years ago - I did knit this sweater for myself
Wow.
It sure is and I can see quite a pattern involved. I’m amazed that anyone could walk while creating this and not trip over. However on second thoughts I often see people with heads in their smart phones walking and driving cars - so well done to you x

Yes - my thought! I trip over even when I'm concentrating on the trail. If I tried to knit it would be a very interesting pattern. But I can imagine the pleasure of knitting in the evenings, surrounded by other pilgrims chatting. If that still happens - with Covid distancing and smartphones.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have thought about bringing a small project, socks maybe, but haven't yet. I walked briefly with a woman who was knitting and she also enjoyed the social aspect of it in the afternoons or evenings in a village and how it opened up conversation especially with local people curious about her project.

Thanks @Theatregal, maybe you will bring a small project next time - i think it may open some 'new' doors.

As a Knitter and a Pilgrim I commend both your choice of hobby and the proposed timing of your Camino.
I walked part of my first Camino with a Swiss teacher and her Chilean teacher friend. The only time she didn't walk and knit (socks) was when it rained (the whole of the Mesata) and the hike up O Cebriero (it was a lot rougher back in 2001). She also taught me the rudiments of playing the recorder.
I still can't turn a heel but I can play "Tom Tom, the Piper's Son" and "Au Claire de la Lune".

@Jeff Crawley, I think you actually - with some guidance - would easily turn a heel - but can you play the recorder while walking? Sounds like you had the best of time with the teachers!

I can hardly tell you not to carry so much yarn when I carry 100g sock yarn and far too many watercolours, fountain pens and a hard cover journal! Should you be interested there’s a lovely yarn shop right on the way in to Santiago too - on Rua De San Pedro (just down the road from the best churrería!)

Thanks @Kiwi-family! I will check out that yarn shop next year (hopefully). I guess your journal must be a lovely memory - and well worth the extra weight.

I knitted during daily breaks while a Hospitalera at the Perocial Albergue in Viana, a few years ago...a 'skater's hat' which I gave to my fellow Hospitalera when we parted ways after our 2 weeks together. It gave me, and hopefully her, joy :)

@Shades of Narnia and @Barbara - so nice to give away knitted items to others. Gives an extra warmth.

I met a retired nun who was embroidering a counted cross stitch piece, loved the design so much I got the pattern from her and will bring needle and thread on my next camino. Here is one I did when I got home:

@Becky 59 - lovely pattern that could be used for knitting as well - the single pattern is what we call: 'eigth-petal rose' and you can actually find it all over the world. Beautiful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

View attachment 80910
Did you ever fall down because you were not looking where your feet were going? That would be my problem.

Did you ever fall down because you were not looking where your feet were going? That would be my problem.

@Vanozza - No, I have actually never fallen while knitting. I've knitted from the age of six and can knit without looking at the garment - I look at where I'm walking. I also knit in the dark in the cinema - only plain colors, of course. When I knit patterns - I need to have a glance every now and then, so walking projects need to be more plain...
Actually - knitting is a really good way to avoid checking your 'smartphone' all the time - so relaxing.

@Vanozza - No, I have actually never fallen while knitting. I've knitted from the age of six and can knit without looking at the garment - I look at where I'm walking. I also knit in the dark in the cinema - only plain colors, of course. When I knit patterns - I need to have a glance every now and then, so walking projects need to be more plain...
Actually - knitting is a really good way to avoid checking your 'smartphone' all the time - so relaxing.
I have a friend in Bergen, Norway and she does the same....muscle memory! She can knit anywhere, she even will make me drive just so she can knit. She taught me to knit and I tried when I went on the Frances, I would knit sometimes after walking or after finishing in Santiago waiting for my next flight. I could never knit while walking I have enough trouble walking without knitting 😃 I say take it if you will indeed use it but if you cannot comit to using your wool then it’s not worth the weight. also there are many knitting/fabric shops in the larger cities so you can also pick up some yarn as you go along.

can you show us some of your work?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met a lady from Sunderland back in 2016. We were all enjoying a snack in the bar in La Faba when she produced her knitting. She was doing a cushion cover and wanted as many pilgrims as possible to add a row. She was surprised when I offered to do one. Seems men from Sunderland dont knit lol.My Mum taught me when my sis and I were kids and laid up with the flu. A local lady was also impressed so after doing her row she rushed off and came back with her own knitting, handed it to me and through another pilgrim interpreting, she also wanted me to add an Irish row. So there you have it. Somewhere in Sunderland there is a cushion cover with my knitting in it and there is a cardigan in La Faba also with my row

I met a lady from Sunderland back in 2016. We were all enjoying a snack in the bar in La Faba when she produced her knitting. She was doing a cushion cover and wanted as many pilgrims as possible to add a row. She was surprised when I offered to do one. Seems men from Sunderland dont knit lol.My Mum taught me when my sis and I were kids and laid up with the flu. A local lady was also impressed so after doing her row she rushed off and came back with her own knitting, handed it to me and through another pilgrim interpreting, she also wanted me to add an Irish row. So there you have it. Somewhere in Sunderland there is a cushion cover with my knitting in it and there is a cardigan in La Faba also with my row
Wonderful story! Of course - men are clever knitters. Actually - on the island Amantani in the Titicaca lake between Peru and Bolivia - mostly men knit and they are the master knitters - women tend to spin the finest yarn - and weave (and of course a lot more). It is considered the highets quality knitting in South America. I bought a woolen hat with incredibly fine yarn and counted 350 stitches in a single row and packed with beautiful pattern.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a friend in Bergen, Norway and she does the same....muscle memory! She can knit anywhere, she even will make me drive just so she can knit. She taught me to knit and I tried when I went on the Frances, I would knit sometimes after walking or after finishing in Santiago waiting for my next flight. I could never knit while walking I have enough trouble walking without knitting 😃 I say take it if you will indeed use it but if you cannot comit to using your wool then it’s not worth the weight. also there are many knitting/fabric shops in the larger cities so you can also pick up some yarn as you go along.

can you show us some of your work?
Thank you for asking - Iriebabel. These projects have been "walking" projects that I design myself. All sweaters and mostly given away. The secret to be able to walk and knit or do something else while knitting is to have a plain/simple design that looks a lot more advanced than it is (with only a small part with pattern - one chameleon or some birds on the arms - and the rest just knitting with one color at a time) - then it is "doable". Knitting with 2-3 colors in the same row with intricate pattern: not possible while walking (or chatting). Here are som details from a few of my walking projects.
IMG_20200817_154729.jpg IMG_20200817_153115.jpg
IMG_20200817_154944.jpg IMG_20200817_154806.jpg
IMG_20200817_155028_v 2.jpg IMG_20200817_155008_v2.jpg

@Jeff Crawley, I think you actually - with some guidance - would easily turn a heel - but can you play the recorder while walking? Sounds like you had the best of time with the teachers!

I always get a large hole here

1597673866811.png

(I did not knit these)
The ones I did for @Camino Chrissy's elephants were a doddle by comparison.

The recorder lessons were actually given while "on the hoof" except the initial one in the garden of the refugio in Viana - the recorder itself was a birthday present they bought for me in Navarette.

1597677621926.png

I have the "music" written down somewhere - it sounds dreadful. Easy as anything while walking the Mesata, did not try it while ascending the Alto do Poio!

Wonderful story! Of course - men are clever knitters. Actually - on the island Amantani in the Titicaca lake between Peru and Bolivia - mostly men knit and they are the master knitters - women tend to spin the finest yarn - and weave (and of course a lot more). It is considered the highets quality knitting in South America. I bought a woolen hat with incredibly fine yarn and counted 350 stitches in a single row and packed with beautiful pattern.
Of course Real Men knit while on stilts . . .

1597678741266.png

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for asking - Iriebabel. These projects have been "walking" projects that I design myself. All sweaters and mostly given away. The secret to be able to walk and knit or do something else while knitting is to have a plain/simple design that looks a lot more advanced than it is (with only a small part with pattern - one chameleon or some birds on the arms - and the rest just knitting with one color at a time) - then it is "doable". Knitting with 2-3 colors in the same row with intricate pattern: not possible while walking (or chatting). Here are som details from a few of my walking projects.
View attachment 81016 View attachment 81015
View attachment 81018 View attachment 81017
View attachment 81021 View attachment 81024
Really lovely...I am a novice compared to you I’ve been doing slippers and scarves. I really need to learn to do a sweater and socks. Here are some I’ve knitted not while walking 🤓

Attachments

• CAF6830D-B6EF-440C-9A36-87AD47683753.jpeg
    CAF6830D-B6EF-440C-9A36-87AD47683753.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • D38C47F5-FF05-40BA-AE42-3B30756F2932.jpeg
    D38C47F5-FF05-40BA-AE42-3B30756F2932.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 42318EC9-672B-41FE-87E1-3D130EFF3DDE.jpeg
    42318EC9-672B-41FE-87E1-3D130EFF3DDE.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 26
  • B425A9D5-A13D-48B9-986F-2D5574258605.jpeg
    B425A9D5-A13D-48B9-986F-2D5574258605.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 23
  • EF984F73-253F-4BE0-99D8-AC6FB1B4BF11.jpeg
    EF984F73-253F-4BE0-99D8-AC6FB1B4BF11.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DD232B83-B244-47C6-8F94-DF53DECBCD94.jpeg
    DD232B83-B244-47C6-8F94-DF53DECBCD94.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 19
Really lovely...I am a novice compared to you I’ve been doing slippers and scarves. I really need to learn to do a sweater and socks. Here are some I’ve knitted not while walking 🤓
@Iriebabel -
You knit so well with nice structure and even stitches - and I particularly love the Buddha-scarf - you could easily produce your first sweater. Easily. You could knit anything, honestly. An easy pattern - stripes in colors you like. I seriously recommend knitting with circular needles - with alpacca (needs handwashing or it will shrink) or maybe superwash merino wool. Maybe knit parts of the sweater on your next camino? Or start with a hat (circular needles!). That would be so nice. I think socks are actually more complicated than a sweater.
Maybe knit an icelandic type of sweater - here a version with a typical traditional Norwegian pattern I've made. But maybe skip the 2-color pattern - use stripes in colors you like - and not the thinnest yarn? Looking forward to seeing your future product(s).
IMG_20191224_015623.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

View attachment 81022

(I did not knit these)

The recorder lessons were actually given while "on the hoof" except the initial one in the garden of the refugio in Viana - the recorder itself was a birthday present they bought for me in Navarette.

View attachment 81028

I have the "music" written down somewhere - it sounds dreadful. Easy as anything while walking the Mesata, did not try it while ascending the Alto do Poio!

@Jeff Crawley - You have a great sense of humour, what a birthday gift! When is your next camino - do you think? By the way, I knit heal in a less fancy way; see the square version here:

I don't think its cheating to use a needle and thread to close the 'hole'. Elephants? Elephants on the camino?

@Iriebabel -
You knit so well with nice structure and even stitches - and I particularly love the Buddha-scarf - you could easily produce your first sweater. Easily. You could knit anything, honestly. An easy pattern - stripes in colors you like. I seriously recommend knitting with circular needles - with alpacca (needs handwashing or it will shrink) or maybe superwash merino wool. Maybe knit parts of the sweater on your next camino? Or start with a hat (circular needles!). That would be so nice. I think socks are actually more complicated than a sweater.
Maybe knit an icelandic type of sweater - here a version with a typical traditional Norwegian pattern I've made. But maybe skip the 2-color pattern - use stripes in colors you like - and not the thinnest yarn? Looking forward to seeing your future product(s).
View attachment 81068
Beautiful pattern..and nice work. Yes I do use a circular needles I bought in Bergen, I find that they work best for me I also use superwash wool then I wash in 50C allow it to felt After the first wash. Thank you for the confidence...I will definately try a hat next as i travel to cold places and I will get braver with a sweater 🙂
here is my friend Rita’s website If you wish to check out her Textile And paintings

Last edited:
@Jeff Crawley - You have a great sense of humour, what a birthday gift! When is your next camino - do you think? By the way, I knit heal in a less fancy way; see the square version here:

I don't think its cheating to use a needle and thread to close the 'hole'. Elephants? Elephants on the camino?
I'm 69 next month, I'd like to do one final Camino before I'm 70 - that'll be one for each decade - and then call it quits. Maybe another Portuguese or Ingles?

As for the "elephants" it started out as a very, very old joke "Why do elephants paint their toenails red? So they can hide in cherry trees" and went on from there to this piece of foolishness:

1597688897879.png

I warn you, there are dark recesses of this Forum where the sane and wise do not gather!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm 69 next month, I'd like to do one final Camino before I'm 70 - that'll be one for each decade - and then call it quits. Maybe another Portuguese or Ingles?

As for the "elephants" it started out as a very, very old joke "Why do elephants paint their toenails red? So they can hide in cherry trees" and went on from there to this piece of foolishness:

View attachment 81073

I warn you, there are dark recesses of this Forum where the sane and wise do not gather!
Portuguese, maybe?
You have a fantastic sense of humour that saved my day - lovely elephant socks!
Warning received!

View attachment 81016 View attachment 81015
View attachment 81018 View attachment 81017
View attachment 81021 View attachment 81024
Gorgeous!

View attachment 81073

Jeff, I'd thought about posting this picture myself. I'm glad you did it as you were the knitter...a nice memory I will not forget!
P.S. I am not the sane, nor the wise! 😅

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Excellent!!!😁😁

View attachment 81022

(I did not knit these)

View attachment 81028

Those socks have a standard short row heel and unless you are very careful they tend to get a gap where you show. I prefer to do a heel flap, then a short row turn, then when you pick back up along the edge of the flap you are much less likely to get gaps.

I play recorders in a Renaissance consort, I can play whilst wandering around a dance floor.

View attachment 81073

He says ‘hello’ 😉3275C9BD-6B00-4A99-A199-A77BEED0A07F.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used to both play the recorder and knit. Not of course at the same time. Now that life makes both either impractical or impossible, I most miss the knitting, and my basket of wool and needles. Someday I'll take it up again...

@Tingeling , color patterns always spooked me way more than cables, which I loved to do (simple ones). But you make it sound so easy - thanks for the inspiration! I've never tried socks...they're way too fiddly. But sweaters and hats are relatively easy, @Iriebabel - go for it!

I used to both play the recorder and knit. Not of course at the same time. Now that life makes both either impractical or impossible, I most miss the knitting, and my basket of wool and needles. Someday I'll take it up again...

@Tingeling , color patterns always spooked me way more than cables, which I loved to do (simple ones). But you make it sound so easy - thanks for the inspiration! I've never tried socks...they're way too fiddly. But sweaters and hats are relatively easy, @Iriebabel - go for it!
Working a slipper i promise to Nomad Pack .He chose the color .have one foot done need to finish the other then attach the sole , felt it Add buttons or poms and mail to him maybe by christmas 😂😂😂

Attachments

• 327997CA-03EF-4A52-ACD4-573B465B60E5.jpeg
    327997CA-03EF-4A52-ACD4-573B465B60E5.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 658855FE-0D3D-4A02-97FD-29A2DF92AA8B.jpeg
    658855FE-0D3D-4A02-97FD-29A2DF92AA8B.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 26
color patterns always spooked me way more than cables, which I loved to do (simple ones). But you make it sound so easy - thanks for the inspiration! I've never tried socks...they're way too fiddly. But sweaters and hats are relatively easy, @Iriebabel - go for it!

A few years ago I took a class with an amazing knitter at the yarn shop in my village. She both demystified the sock knitting process and introduced me to the joys of self striping wool. Now I feel like I'm a virtuoso with colour patterns...even though I'm not at all 😁 This wool makes beautiful scarves too.

My current project.
socks.jpg

I have just this minute finished turning the second heel/flap whilst doing a Pimsleur Spanish lesson and of course wearing knitted socks! Knitted, pilled and shonkily darned, no less: 59F1BB95-9D86-4398-80BB-FA359DFE094A.jpeg (Incidentally the only shop socks I own are injinji toe socks - the rest are homemade)
My favourite is to do two socks at a time, toe up so I can keep knitting until the wool has almost run out (saving just enough for some darning in ten years’ time!) I do NOT like self-striping yarns mixed with a lace pattern - no idea what came over me to do this!
7717C3C1-AF61-4977-82B6-183A68617BE2.jpeg
No-hole-heel:
D0A77C45-4889-4384-9CF1-B274F58F993A.jpeg

Attachments

• 5F62C6D1-16CF-410B-BA6E-DDB3A972E311.jpeg
    5F62C6D1-16CF-410B-BA6E-DDB3A972E311.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
I have just this minute finished turning the second heel/flap whilst doing a Pimsleur Spanish lesson and of course wearing knitted socks! Knitted, pilled and shonkily darned,

"Shonkily"My new favourite word! :) Knitting 2 at once - Amazing. I think the self stripping with your lace pattern looks quite pretty actually!

All I can say is you people are amazing! I know nothing of knitting, but did crochet afghans and scarves years ago. They were flat and easy peasy.

The first time I took lace weight, and a small circular with wooden tips and made a shawl (simple pattern). I didnt knit while I walked, but we have a seriously long plane trip, and you can only watch so many movies. Whilst on Camino I knit after walking, often after dinner whilst chatting with people.
The next time I took lace weight and a crochet hook. Spanish ladies were really intrigued to see me crocheting.
So I didnt take enough yarn to knit a sweater.
Last time I took my crocheting, but due to taking other people, husband and grandson - didnt really get much done.
I did find wool shops in Burgos, close to each other and one in Leon that was never open, but didnt find any others.

They let you carry knitting needles on the plane?

I love to knit, but I'm too busy looking at everything around me when I walk, and I can't knit without looking. Your sweater is beautiful!

They let you carry knitting needles on the plane?
Airport security isnt consistent. Thats why I take a circular with wooden tips. If they object I can take the tips off and my knitting is still intact on the cable. I did once have to prove I could knit before they let me keep them. It was really annoying as there were a lot of stitches and I then had to finish the rest of the row in pattern as it was complicated. These days I take something basic.. Or a crochet hook, which they never have an issue with.

A few years ago I went to a knitting conference in Napier (NZ), a local flight in one of those smallish planes. Pretty much half the plane on the way back were knitters from the conference. We were all knitting and chatting away. It was hilarious to see the other passenger reactions - they thought they'd walked into some alternative universe.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Airport security isnt consistent. Thats why I take a circular with wooden tips. If they object I can take the tips off and my knitting is still intact on the cable. I did once have to prove I could knit before they let me keep them. It was really annoying as there were a lot of stitches and I then had to finish the rest of the row in pattern as it was complicated. These days I take something basic.. Or a crochet hook, which they never have an issue with.

A few years ago I went to a knitting conference in Napier (NZ), a local flight in one of those smallish planes. Pretty much half the plane on the way back were knitters from the conference. We were all knitting and chatting away. It was hilarious to see the other passenger reactions - they thought they'd walked into some alternative universe.
They had;-)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A better one.

I can't imagine being able to knit and walk at the same time, but I am a knitter, and I've found that it does cross language barriers with regularity. Most of the needles that I buy are the bamboo kind in case I should feel that I need to take them on an airplane (but I haven't done that recently). What I like the best about the conversations that arise is that most people mention that they have a sister or someone who does the same thing, so it's a calling 😄 (now I'm wondering how and when to work this into a packing list).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can't imagine being able to knit and walk at the same time, but I am a knitter, and I've found that it does cross language barriers with regularity. Most of the needles that I buy are the bamboo kind in case I should feel that I need to take them on an airplane (but I haven't done that recently). What I like the best about the conversations that arise is that most people mention that they have a sister or someone who does the same thing, so it's a calling 😄 (now I'm wondering how and when to work this into a packing list).

You are so right - what a barrier breaker! I've never had problems with metal needles on plane internationally, but I prefer wood - bamboo or cherry wood or sth like that - as it allows one to knit silently. Good for those around. You could knit during breaks - evenings... Always a little room for some yarn and wooden needles.

A super easy travel knitting project - wrist warmers. Knit a rectangle in whatever stitch pattern (or combination of) you like, sew up the sides leaving a hole for the thumb.
I wish I wore gloves or wrist warmers becuase they are such nice little knitting projects, but i don't. My hands are never cold and gloves make me far too hot.

Hi, I somehow missed this post until today.
My first camino was planned for September 2020 but the plane tickets were postponed for a year. I plan to take my crochet with me (as discussed on another post).
It is good to see that there are wool shops on the Frances as I will only carry about 1 ounce with me. The plan is to crochet small teddybears (for charity) & post them home when I buy more wool.
The question has been asked about knitting needles on planes I have found over the years this depends on the airport & can change quickly. Crochet hooks seem ok so I don't take my knitting unless I have got hold luggage.
Knitting & crochet are defiantly an ice breaker I have had people talk to me every time I get my knitting out wherever I am. I hope to meet up with some of you on Camino I will be the mad lady doing her crochet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I somehow missed this post until today.
My first camino was planned for September 2020 but the plane tickets were postponed for a year. I plan to take my crochet with me (as discussed on another post).
It is good to see that there are wool shops on the Frances as I will only carry about 1 ounce with me. The plan is to crochet small teddybears (for charity) & post them home when I buy more wool.
The question has been asked about knitting needles on planes I have found over the years this depends on the airport & can change quickly. Crochet hooks seem ok so I don't take my knitting unless I have got hold luggage.
Knitting & crochet are defiantly an ice breaker I have had people talk to me every time I get my knitting out wherever I am. I hope to meet up with some of you on Camino I will be the mad lady doing her crochet.
Hello - I've travelled all over the world with knitting needles in metal and wood (circular and straight ones) and have never ever had a problem on airports. A few times security staff wanted to check the metal ones. But I prefer wooden needles as they are almost soundless.... I agree with you - knitting is an icebreaker. I planned to walk in March 2021 - but postponed it to autumn 2021 like you, or later. We can only wait and see. From where do you plan to walk?

Hello - I've travelled all over the world with knitting needles in metal and wood (circular and straight ones) and have never ever had a problem on airports. A few times security staff wanted to check the metal ones. But I prefer wooden needles as they are almost soundless.... I agree with you - knitting is an icebreaker. I planned to walk in March 2021 - but postponed it to autumn 2021 like you, or later. We can only wait and see. From where do you plan to walk?
I plan to walk from SJPP I have my flight booked but not risking anything else at the moment (I don't want to jinx it)

Hello - I've travelled all over the world with knitting needles in metal and wood (circular and straight ones) and have never ever had a problem on airports.
A dear friend of mine (and keen knitter!) had her knitting needles confiscated at the airport, just flying between England and Germany. I have no idea why on earth they found it threatening as this lady was in a wheelchair and suffering from terminal cancer! It caused her much unnecessary upset as you can imagine.
I later asked - months after she’d passed away - the staff at Gatwich airport if I could travel with knitting needles and (after much consulting as no-one seemed to have a clue), they replied they couldn’t see why not. Go figure! 🙄
Now I just travel with the wool and buy needles at the other end....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back