• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk For Good 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obidad

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese (2019)
Kerry (2023)
A Virtual Camino with a $60 registration that will go to help Hostels financially hurt by pandemic.

Is this legit endeavor?

It starts next Friday, Jan. 15th.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Are you referring to this website?

Five hikers started Camino for Good to both share their experiences along the Camino de Santiago and to raise money for Camino hostels struggling due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. We commit that 75% of our net income goes towards aiding the albergues.

In accounting terms, net income is calculated as sales minus cost of goods sold, selling, general and administrative expenses, operating expenses, depreciation, interest, taxes, and other expenses.

I haven't found any information on the site about how they will distribute the funds and to which albergues they will donate. Perhaps the information is there. I haven't explored the whole site.

Are you referring to this website?

In accounting terms, net income is calculated as sales minus cost of goods sold, selling, general and administrative expenses, operating expenses, depreciation, interest, taxes, and other expenses.

I haven't found any information on the site about how they will distribute the funds and to which albergues they will donate. Perhaps the information is there. I haven't explored the whole site.
I have checked out the site and it does mention a few albergues and there is a short interview with Casa Suzi. She is someone I know has been interviewed on some podcasts and is really loved by many pilgrims. It is very professional and seems to be legit. The main concern that I have that it does not say (or at least I can not find where it says what the breakdown of how their money is spent. How much if any goes to salaries or "administrative" costs. Both my daughters are involved with NGO work and they say that there are some charitable organizations that have very questionable administrative costs. Even some very well know charities. There are other charities that do often do the same type of work and are well known that have extremely low administrative costs.
I think for some who are enamored with all things technological and want to count their steps every day and check how far they have gone every hour and log all their distances and on and on they would probably find this app really interesting.
I will not say I have a few apps on my phone. I check Gronze each day for distances as I am soon to be 67 and don't want to do more than 25K a day especially early on. Also I don't walk in peak seasons and especially going forward knowing what is available for the coming day in terms of albergues is very helpful and because I want to walk much quieter caminos from now on. VDLP next. For me who likes to walk my camino simply and knowing that I have learned we can live with less and probably be happier I am not one for this app.
I think if you like the features maybe you want this. I have a feeling just about everything this app provides you can get on other apps that are probably free.
Finally I think you could just bypass this or any middle man and just donate directly. For example I looked on the Casa Suzi Facebook page and she has a Go Fund Me drive to fix her roof.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This quote from their FAQ page may assist:

"How much of my sign up fee goes to the albergues?

Our goal is to be able to cover all the costs of developing, operating and supporting the virtual camino website as it evolves. Once costs are covered our primary aim is to support the Albergues through this time. It is important to us to remain transparent about how your registration fees are being used, and will publicize the allocation of our funds regularly."

Direct donation is a route that might avoid all the costs of developing, operating and supporting the virtual camino website as it evolves. Those interested might find this link useful: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-camino-business-in-these-covid-19-times.210/

In addition to previous posts (about the height of overhead costs), the website claims.

Camino for Good is pledging 75% of our net income to support albergues along the Camino who have been hit hard by COVID travel restrictions.

Their transparancy statement also provides the following information:
  • Camino for Good has an application process in place since July 2020 where albergues of Spain may apply for relief funds.
  • As of January 3, 2021, a total of 23 albergues have applied for relief funds and the application process remains open in 2021.
  • As of January 3, 2021 we’ve been able to provide relief funds to Susi and Fermin at Casa Susi, Ernesto at La Casa De Las Sonrisas , and Bruno at Albergue de Peregrinos Hospital San Bruno.
  • In the Camino for Good business plan, 25% of net income is held in capital reserve for future product development and return on investment for the founders.
  • An advantage of being a for profit company is that it allows Camino for Good to donate our proceeds to the for profit and private albergues in Spain. As a non profit we would not have the freedom to do this.
Hope this is helpfull.

Last edited:
I have checked out the site and it does mention a few albergues and there is a short interview with Casa Suzi. She is someone I know has been interviewed on some podcasts and is really loved by many pilgrims. It is very professional and seems to be legit. The main concern that I have that it does not say (or at least I can not find where it says what the breakdown of how their money is spent. How much if any goes to salaries or "administrative" costs. Both my daughters are involved with NGO work and they say that there are some charitable organizations that have very questionable administrative costs. Even some very well know charities. There are other charities that do often do the same type of work and are well known that have extremely low administrative costs.
I think for some who are enamored with all things technological and want to count their steps every day and check how far they have gone every hour and log all their distances and on and on they would probably find this app really interesting.
I will not say I have a few apps on my phone. I check Gronze each day for distances as I am soon to be 67 and don't want to do more than 25K a day especially early on. Also I don't walk in peak seasons and especially going forward knowing what is available for the coming day in terms of albergues is very helpful and because I want to walk much quieter caminos from now on. VDLP next. For me who likes to walk my camino simply and knowing that I have learned we can live with less and probably be happier I am not one for this app.
I think if you like the features maybe you want this. I have a feeling just about everything this app provides you can get on other apps that are probably free.
Finally I think you could just bypass this or any middle man and just donate directly. For example I looked on the Casa Suzi Facebook page and she has a Go Fund Me drive to fix her roof.
Thank you very much for your input.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In addition to previous posts (about the height of overhead costs), the website claims.

Camino for Good is pledging 75% of our net income to support albergues along the Camino who have been hit hard by COVID travel restrictions.

• Camino for Good has an application process in place since July 2020 where albergues of Spain may apply for relief funds.
  • As of January 3, 2021, a total of 23 albergues have applied for relief funds and the application process remains open in 2021.
  • As of January 3, 2021 we’ve been able to provide relief funds to Susi and Fermin at Casa Susi, Ernesto at La Casa De Las Sonrisas , and Bruno at Albergue de Peregrinos Hospital San Bruno.
  • In the Camino for Good business plan, 25% of net income is held in capital reserve for future product development and return on investment for the founders.
  • An advantage of being a for profit company is that it allows Camino for Good to donate our proceeds to the for profit and private albergues in Spain. As a non profit we would not have the freedom to do this.
Hope this is helpfull.
Thank you.

Thank you.
Thanks for posting that. Again if I chose to donate I would just do it directly. But that is a personal preference. My other personal preference is to donate locally. So so many need help now. The choice of who, where and how much each donated is personal and not up for debate. In my opinion at least.

Hope this is helpfull.
So basically they want to make a profit, and donate some of the proceeds to charity. And since it will be their money at that point they will receive any tax benefits. Since it's not a recognized charity if I give them money I won't receive any tax benefits associated with donating to a charity.

No thanks. As @lt56ny said I will donate directly, or to a registered charity.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A Virtual Camino with a $60 registration that will go to help Hostels financially hurt by pandemic.

Is this legit endeavor?

So basically they want to make a profit, and donate some of the proceeds to charity. And since it will be their money at that point they will receive any tax benefits. Since it's not a recognized charity if I give them money I won't receive any tax benefits associated with donating to a charity.

No thanks. As @lt56ny said I will donate directly, or to a registered charity.
I have been participating in a similar challenge here in WV since Sept 2020. A small business that used to help organize and time 5K and 10K races (which we have traditionally participated in), has had virtual walking challenges and races since last summer. They charge a registration fee and some of that fee goes to the charity whose race they are "timing". I know that the charity would get more if I donated directly, but the registration fee also helps a local small business stay open and employ people who would have otherwise been out of work during this pandemic. The races and challenges have helped to keep me motivated and walking when the lethargy from dealing with Covid sets in. I successfully finished the fall challenge and have started the winter challenge to keep me going during winter days with snow and ice on roads and trails. So I am helping a small business, as well as local charities and myself since my hiking pants have gone down two sizes. 😊

I am not sure if this is a correct interpretation. Their aim is not to donate to charity, but to donate (at least 75 & of their net income) to private albergues & for profit albergues. But please be aware that English is not my first language, the term charity may have a slightly different meaning in Dutch & and I am not sure if a private albergue can be a charity at the same time.

I was just passing on the information from their website. Personally I would also prefer to cut out the middleman and donate directly to an albergue (in case I wish to do so)

I’m not sure what is correct either. There is a clear definition of what constitutes net profit under UK tax and company law. I’m aware, as my profession requires me to be, that there are different interpretations available under different regimes. This is not the forum for discussion of those topics.
If you have cash to spare and want to offer support to a Camino related business please choose your own way and follow it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
They appear to be pilgrims trying to be helpful to albergues at this time, and seem to have their hearts in the right place. I registered for the free trial and this is the email I received from them:

Thank you for registering for the Camino for Good virtual walk!
We are so excited to have you walk alongside us as we work to support albergues (hostels) along the Camino de Santiago in Spain. If we can all have a lot of fun, grow a bit spiritually and conquer a fitness goal together, who knows what good can be done. Grab some friends and let’s get started!

Oh wait...there are a few things you need to know!
`
First: You can walk anywhere you choose. At the end of your walk each day, we ask you to sign in using our mobile website and log your miles. When you do, you will find photos and information about your “virtual” location. You can even see the names of other walkers close to you. There is no end date, so you can walk at your own pace within your own time frame. We know that long distance walking, especially the 500miles/800km (or so) of the Camino de Santiago, is an experience which can only be described as life changing.

Second: All of us can help and give back. We owe so much of our life changing experience to all those small, locally run hospitality businesses along the way - particularly the albergues. When it was announced that the Camino would be closed for the duration of the pandemic, our hearts went out to those businesses knowing they will inevitably struggle financially. They are not only having to cover their fixed costs with no income but new social distancing regulations meant refurbishing and has had the effect for many of reducing the number of beds they can provide when they do reopen. That’s why we are giving a portion of your registration fee to albergues in need.

Whether you have walked the Camino before and want to help, or this is something you have always wanted to do, or you just realize how much fun this will be, we believe you will be delighted with our interactive maps and pilgrim’s photos, videos and commentary. We are very excited that John Brierley has agreed to share excerpts from his popular Camino Guide Books to read as you arrive in virtual towns and places of interest. This will be an opportunity to train your body, wear your boots in and glimpse the stunning scenery and lovely villages along the way.

You can upgrade to the paid version at any time by visiting the settings button on the menu at http://app.caminoforgood.com/ and from there you click on upgrade. Your app fee will be processed using Stripe and Camino for Good Co will be what you see on your credit card statement.

Third: Please help us. Obviously, the more participants sign up, the more albergues we will be able to help, so please share our link with your family and friends, share your excitement for the hike on social media, and invite those close to you to come along. This is one of the most important ways you can help and our social media links are below for Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

http://app.caminoforgood.com/

Buen Camino (the pilgrim’s greeting meaning ‘Good Way’),

Kelly, Bill, Susan, Shaylyn and Lindsay.
I would prefer not to judge them too harshly. 😇

This entity is organized under the law of Tennessee as a “public benefit corporation.” This a relatively new, somewhat controversial, and still unproven corporate form. It straddles the fence between charitable organizations (like Peaceable Projects, whose profits all go to charity) and regular corporations, whose sole guiding criterion is to maximize profits. So these guys sit in the middle — they can earn and generate profits, but can decide to spend money on things that won’t maximize profits, like helping albergues. Also, as someone pointed out, they are able to give money to for-profit entities without running afoul of the law, as Peaceable Projects (a non-profit corporation) would.

They seem earnestly focused on helping albergues, but I don’t see any clear statement about how much of anyone’s donation will actually go to albergues. This is what they say:

Our goal is to be able to cover all the costs of developing, operating and supporting the virtual camino website as it evolves. Once costs are covered our primary aim is to support the Albergues through this time. It is important to us to remain transparent about how your registration fees are being used, and will publicize the allocation of our funds regularly.

The “costs of developing, operating and supporting” the website are not specified anywhere I have seen.

I have seen that a donation of 1000 € has gone to Bruno’s albergue in Moratinos. Two others have received $500.

Long way of saying that I think they are sincere, but I think the corporate form means that a lot of the money sent their way will not wind up in albergues, at least not now while they are in the initial stages when costs are presumably higher.

I have written to them to get some more information and will change whatever mistakes I’ve made here when they respond. But more importantly, I hope to find out where we can find any annual report to the State of Tennessee that details revenues/costs/donations, etc.

Perhaps it would be helpful if the albergue owners who have received funds from this group could tell us how/if the donation helped them!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am not sure if this is a correct interpretation. Their aim is not to donate to charity, but to donate (at least 75 & of their net income) to private albergues & for profit albergues. But please be aware that English is not my first language, the term charity may have a slightly different meaning in Dutch & and I am not sure if a private albergue can be a charity at the same time.

I was just passing on the information from their website. Personally I would also prefer to cut out the middleman and donate directly to an albergue (in case I wish to do so)
You're right. I shouldn't have said charity.

An aside here, and with no regard to caminoforgood. There are many local, national and international charities that seek our support. In the UK charities have to register and have to publish their annual accounts. I tend to search that sort of stuff - old auditors never die, they just smell that way - my personal inclination is to never donate to a charity where the chief executive is paid more than the UK Prime Minister. Sadly that inclination excludes a remarkable number of UK and international charities from my tithe.
We are all free to offer our charity.
That street beggar may or may not have a chief exec to support. I’d always like to think that my tithe has entered the hands it was intended for

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
An aside here, and with no regard to caminoforgood. There are many local, national and international charities that seek our support. In the UK charities have to register and have to publish their annual accounts. I tend to search that sort of stuff - old auditors never die, they just smell that way - my personal inclination is to never donate to a charity where the chief executive is paid more than the UK Prime Minister. Sadly that inclination excludes a remarkable number of UK and international charities from my tithe.
We are all free to offer our charity.
That street beggar may or may not have a chief exec to support. I’d always like to think that my tithe has entered the hands it was intended for
That was exactly part of what I was saying also TIncatinker. For an example to illustrate CEO compensation of some charitable organizations. I got this information from their websites:
American Red Cross $694,000 US 2019
Goodwill Industries $717,000 US

My daughter directed me to this excellent and highly respected website that tracks charities and their expenses and true amount of giving.

You're right. I shouldn't have said charity.
Agreed, they are not donating to charity, but to albergues. So, I could donate 10E to Albergue A, you 20E to Albergue B, someone else to Albergue C, etc, etc. Those small amounts could be helpful, but if someone was to use part of registration fees to "walk a camino", or here in WV as I mentioned earlier to participate in a walking challenge wouldn't bundling the money from some of those registration fees, help an albergue in need much quicker? The challenges that I am participating in here pick local groups to help and they are contributing much more than I could on my own. Why not an albergue along the way. It seems to me that a larger amount of money at one time from the registration fees would be more helpful than an occasional donation from one individual.

Ivar has set up a system for contributing directly to albergues in need. I have made direct contributions for a year now, all within my (limited) ability. I am not interested in covering adm.costs for a website (except this great Forum of course... :cool:) in dire times, but I'm sending support money directly to the albergue(s) in need. If I could, I would have done much more, but directly. No middle layer; every cent going directly to the albergue(s). Of course, my favorites are prioritized, but I try to be unbiased.

@ivar did a great job of setting up a page for direct help to those in need: Hope it has helped some. Please help them directly now; your future bed could depend on it... Most effective emergency assistance to our needy friends in Spain is here, IMHO:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Is this legit endeavor?

Is this legit endeavor? I suppose it depends upon the reason you would decide to pay to join the group. They are providing people with a platform to walk a virtual camino. That is what you are paying for when you register. Along the way you get to collect sellos, walk virtually with other people (or not), and keep track of your miles walked. If this helps to motivate you to walk daily (if that is what you wish to do) then it certainly appears to be "legit". You also get swag which is typical of races or challenge walks. You have to decide if this is something that would be worth it to you spending $60 dollars to participate in. They are providing a service that you must decide is beneficial to you. The fact that they then make donations to other groups should not be the deciding factor. I recently paid to participate in a 5K race that was raising money for an organization. My reason to participate was not that they were raising money, but to participate in a 5K for exercise and entertainment. I doubt I would have directly contributed to the group, but I paid my entrance fee and part of that money went to support the group. I don't think this conflicts at all with an individual deciding to make a direct donation to a group of their choosing so that the group receives the entire amount. You are paying for and receiving a service. The fact that a third party also benefits from you walking is just- gravy on the biscuits. (For those of you not dwelling in the southern US - that is the icing on the cake.) :) 🥾Keep walking and Ultreia if you decide to participate.

Last edited:
I am going to close the thread, because this is a commercial site and also because the forum has its own helping hands section for direct donations.

If you have questions about this organization, their website lists an email address, and you can contact them directly. They were quick to respond to my inquiry.

Buen camino, Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back