• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk for my birthday or go a month earlier

Sharon Kopil

Time of past OR future Camino
November 18 (2018)
Hi! I turn 50 on November 29th and was planning to be on the Camino to reflect on my life and enjoy the adventure! I usually like to celebrate my birthday the day of... but I’m now wondering if I should put that aside and go in October for better weather instead. I would be walking for only about two weeks and the plan was to start from Ponferadda to possibly Finistère. Does anyone have any opinions as to wether it would be that much better to go in October or wait for my actual birthday and go the last two weeks of November? Thank you so much for any insights!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi! I turn 50 on November 29th and was planning to be on the Camino to reflect on my life and enjoy the adventure! I usually like to celebrate my birthday the day of... but I’m now wondering if I should put that aside and go in October for better weather instead. I would be walking for only about two weeks and the plan was to start from Ponferadda to possibly Finistère. Does anyone have any opinions as to wether it would be that much better to go in October or wait for my actual birthday and go the last two weeks of November? Thank you so much for any insights!
@Sharon Kopil
I have walked in October/November for the last three years. I find it pleasant to walk in cooler weather and have had very little rain during my walks. However, you might consider the effects of shorter days and closing albergues. As the busy season ends, many of the pilgrim hostels and some restaurants will be closing and it may not be practical to go on walking in dark evenings. Even in Galicia, where the Xunta albergues are supposed to be open all year, I have experienced a closure which made it very difficult to find a bed for my last night short of Santiago. If you don't mind short days and can reserve your beds, you might find it the ideal time to walk, as I do.

@Sharon Kopil
I have walked in October/November for the last three years. I find it pleasant to walk in cooler weather and have had very little rain during my walks. However, you might consider the effects of shorter days and closing albergues. As the busy season ends, many of the pilgrim hostels and some restaurants will be closing and it may not be practical to go on walking in dark evenings. Even in Galicia, where the Xunta albergues are supposed to be open all year, I have experienced a closure which made it very difficult to find a bed for my last night short of Santiago. If you don't mind short days and can reserve your beds, you might find it the ideal time to walk, as I do.
Thankyou for that insight! I would like to know if October is much much more enjoyable to walk than the last two weeks of November. Did you see a big difference between the two months when you were there?
Thanks!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I usually like to celebrate my birthday the day of... I would like to know if October is much much more enjoyable to walk than the last two weeks of November.
I have walked several times in October-November. I would recommend late October rather than late November.

These "decade" birthdays become meaningless after 5 or 6 times. I'm coming up to my seventh and consider it to be just another date on the calendar - an opportunity for celebration but not an obligation that I need to plan my life around. Mark your birthday differently, if you want.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have walked several times in October-November. I would recommend late October rather than late November.

These "decade" birthdays become meaningless after 5 or 6 times. I'm coming up to my seventh and consider it to be just another date on the calendar - an opportunity for celebration but not an obligation that I need to plan my life around. Mark your birthday differently, if you want.
Thankyou, that helps!

Thankyou for that insight! I would like to know if October is much much more enjoyable to walk than the last two weeks of November. Did you see a big difference between the two months when you were there?
Thanks!!
@Sharon Kopil
I have walked into Santiago in late November on all three walks so far, mostly because I was walking a long ways and wished to avoid the heat and crowds in September. I enjoyed all of the walks, but if I were walking a shorter distance I might choose to arrive in Santiago before late November, because of the early sunsets and the closure of various facilities for the season. You may decide for yourself whether being in Santiago on the day is an important way for you to celebrate this special birthday. Maybe you could celebrate with friends and family, after returning home, your accomplishment in walking a pilgrimage route. Whatever you decide, buen camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

My Birthday is Oct 6, I walked the Camino from SJPD in 2014 for my 60th, arriving in Santiago on my Birthday. My children were there to meet me. What a wonderful experience.

I celebrated my birthday on the Camino this past March and the small group of pilgrims at the albergue (none of whom I had met before that night) and the hospitalero in Mansilla de Las Mulas serendipitously threw a party for me! It was my favorite birthday yet.

Whenever you go will be the “right” time to go. It just seems to work out that way.

PS: The candles say 27 (because those were the only candles they could find at such a late hour) but it was my 57th!

Attachments

• 83188E29-09CB-4D8A-86F8-22C96148CFBD.jpeg
    83188E29-09CB-4D8A-86F8-22C96148CFBD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I've had wonderful birthdays on the Camino, in fact my 54th, 55th, 56th, 57th, 58th, 59th and 60th! Last year I left earlier than usual (mid June) so for the first time in years I had it at home although I usually don't make a big deal, just dinner with family.

Two Caminos birthdays stick out. On my first Camino I was in Sahagún on my birthday and I invited a Catalán woman I had been walking with for a drink. When the bar owner heard that it was my birthday she came out with empindada for us and mine had two candles - a 5 and a 4! I still have them 8 years on.

The third one I will remember forever. It was when I was a hospitalera in Grañón. My fellow hospitaleras, Jesús the priest, Suzanna the baker and all the 70+ pilgrims staying the night made the day and evening so special. Can you imagine happy birthday being sung in about 6 different languages! There were ballons and decorations everywhere!

But putting this all aside, in your case I would say walk in October. The weather should be better (I've walked the Norte and Plata/Sanabrés in October and had lovely weather) and you don't have to worry about albergue closures. Xunta albergues in Galicia are known to be open year round but others may close by November.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, I turned 63 while I walked the Frances
Walk for your birthday. I celebrated my 63rd on the Frances late September. I had a wonderful rendition of happy birthday from my fellow Pilgrims at dinner.A wonderful way to celebrate any birthday.
The weather was perfect.

Walk for your birthday. I celebrated my 63rd on the Frances late September. I had a wonderful rendition of happy birthday from my fellow Pilgrims at dinner.A wonderful way to celebrate any birthday.
The weather was perfect.
I was in Santiago for my birthday in late September 2016, but I think that if my birthday was the end of November, like @Sharon Kopil , I would go earlier.

My son was in Carrion de los Condes for his sixteenth birthday. Unfortunately, he wouldn't let me tell anyone. Fortunately, it was July 25 so he still got a celebration.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back