• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk for someone else

Josefine

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés Primitivo Aragonés/Francés, Portugues Fisterra/Muxia Norte San Salvador Via Gebennesis
Just posted this in the Camino Portugues section, but I guess it belongs here, in the Miscellaneous Topics, so I repeat it:

Hi everybody,
Happy to say that I will be on the Camino again this year. July 3 starting in Oporto, Portugal and perhaps, if all turns out as I hope, I will do the Inglés the last week in June:) as well.
I want to walk the Portugues in the name of someone else, an elderly lady who is very dear to me and who can not, because of old age and helath issues, walk it herself. I know this can be done but I don't know exactly how.... what are the "rules" so to say? Do I need to do something in advance or just give her name once I arrive in Santiago so they write her name on the compostela? Please advice so I don't make any mistakes as this is very important to me.

Josefine

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is not so uncommon.
You don´t have to do anything in particular to achieve it except walk the Way. When you get to the pilgrim´s office, tell them what you have done. They will put your name on the certificate, and your friend´s name at the bottom, as a "vicarie pro: Instead Of."

I did this last year for a friend who died suddenly, it was the most meaningful Camino I ever walked. Giving the Compostela to her family was moving, to say the least... very healing for all of us.

Bless you for your thoughtfulness. Your friend is a lucky woman!

Reb.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for your answer Rebekah, I'll follow your advice, just walk the Way and my elderly friend will be with me in my thoughts.
Josefine

Hi Josefine,
Rebekah is right - there are no rules!
Another thing that you could do though is; go into an open church, sit quietly (no need to 'pray'!) and focus on your friend. What might she be doing? Picture her face, share her thoughts, just 'be with her' and know that God is with you both. You can do this anywhere, but I find it does help to take time out to focus. That way, you are indeed 'taking her with you'.
Bless you for doing this.

Buen Camino
Terry

Hi Terry, thank you for your kind words, she will indeed be with me in everything I do. And to me, this will be a very special Camino.
Josefine

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Terry, thank you for your kind words, she will indeed be with me in everything I do. And to me, this will be a very special Camino.
Josefine

TerryB said:
Hi Josefine,
Another thing that you could do though is; go into an open church, sit quietly (no need to 'pray'!) and focus on your friend. What might she be doing? Picture her face, share her thoughts, just 'be with her' and know that God is with you both. You can do this anywhere, but I find it does help to take time out to focus. That way, you are indeed 'taking her with you'.
Bless you for doing this.
Terry

Agree, absolutely, no reserve - but I think you will find that this is exactly what 'praying' can be.

all is well :wink:

Terry , This sounds like something I did on my first walk. In the open air while walking on a Sunday, I specifically thought of an individual person and prayed for what their particular needs might be.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back