• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk from Porto till Santiago

Dr Ana

Time of past OR future Camino
Future plan: easter week 2019 Santa Semana, Sevilla to Porto direction
Is it enough this walk 100 km for getting el camino stamp? Im new , and would ask which nearest airport after you reach Santiago. How many days we need from Porto to Santiago, please? Thanks in advance and good weather to all

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, fellow Ana!

There is an airport in Santiago de Compostela, so you can go back home from there.
I walked Porto-Santiago in 2017 and it took me 11 days. I highly recommend spending 2-3 days in Porto, it is an amazing city with great food and wineries. Some people do it as quick as 8-9 days, some take 15. It is a lovely walk anyway.

You need to walk at least 100km to get the Compostelana, a pilgrimage certificate (religious). Walking any other distance you can ask for the Certificate of Distance (non-religious), as pretty as the other one: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/certificate-of-distance/

"Stamp" is what you collect along the way when you stop at churches, bars and hotels. You ask them to stamp you credencial.

I hope that helps!

Hi, fellow Ana!

There is an airport in Santiago de Compostela, so you can go back home from there.
I walked Porto-Santiago in 2017 and it took me 11 days. I highly recommend spending 2-3 days in Porto, it is an amazing city with great food and wineries. Some people do it as quick as 8-9 days, some take 15. It is a lovely walk anyway.

You need to walk at least 100km to get the Compostelana, a pilgrimage certificate (religious). Walking any other distance you can ask for the Certificate of Distance (non-religious), as pretty as the other one: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/certificate-of-distance/

"Stamp" is what you collect along the way when you stop at churches, bars and hotels. You ask them to stamp you credencial.

I hope that helps!
Thks a lot! Is it flat like valley walk or high mountains. Could i pass May weather without boots? Can you recommand some accomodation on that walk? Nice to meet you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is it flat like valley walk or high mountains. Could i pass May weather without boots? Can you recommand some accomodation on that walk? Nice to meet you

Nice to meet you too!

The walk is mostly flat or gentle hills. The only real climb is Alto da Portela, between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes.
You can find info on the trail and list of accommodation options here: https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

A lovely place to stop is Casa da Fernanda, in Vitorino dos Piaes. She and her family welcome pilgrims every day, the house is cute and the food is great.

There is no real need for boots. May will start to get warm, so more ventilated shoes would work well. Actually, there are A LOT of cobblestone pavement, so I would highly recommend very comfortable, cushioned shoes. I walked late April with the Mizunos I usually go for walks around at home.

Nice to meet you too!

The walk is mostly flat or gentle hills. The only real climb is Alto da Portela, between Ponte de Lima and Rubiaes.
You can find info on the trail and list of accommodation options here: https://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues

A lovely place to stop is Casa da Fernanda, in Vitorino dos Piaes. She and her family welcome pilgrims every day, the house is cute and the food is great.

There is no real need for boots. May will start to get warm, so more ventilated shoes would work well. Actually, there are A LOT of cobblestone pavement, so I would highly recommend very comfortable, cushioned shoes. I walked late April with the Mizunos I usually go for walks around at home.
I thought to pass walk with some comfortable mocasinas, like i do in jungle. I hate sneakers.

I thought to pass walk with some comfortable mocasinas, like i do in jungle. I hate sneakers.

Wear what you are used to. There is nothing jungle about the Portuguese trail, though... Do you think the mocasins will work in a lot of road walk, like 20km/day for a few days? I never used those, so I can't help there. But focus on comfort and you should be fine.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is it enough this walk 100 km for getting el camino stamp? Im new , and would ask which nearest airport after you reach Santiago. How many days we need from Porto to Santiago, please? Thanks in advance and good weather to all
Porto is approximately 250 km from Santiago (This distance varies a few km depending on which route you walk, Coastal or Central). If you only wish to walk 100 km in order to obtain a Compostela, the most practical starting point is Tui, which is right on the Spanish/Portuguese border, and approximately 120 km from Santiago. Tui could be considered the Camino Portugués equivalent of Sarria on the Camino Francés.

Just be aware that there is a fair amount if cobblestone and road walking, so you want to wear shoes that are also suitable for hard surfaces. I expect the paths are somewhat softer in a jungle.

I would estimate anywhere from 10 to 13 days walking, depending on how far you like to walk in a day and how many towns you want to stop and see.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would estimate anywhere from 10 to 13 days walking, depending on how far you like to walk in a day and how many towns you want to stop and see.
It took my wife and I 14 days to walk from Porto to Santiago. We started by walking down the Rio Duoro to the coast, then up the coast to Vila do Conde before heading inland and Joining the central route at Arcos.

And here's a photo of the diabolical granite cobbles (click on the thumbnail below). The cobbles are about 100mm (4 inches) square, and have a very rough surface. Note the absence of a verge on either side of the road at this location, which means no choice but to walk in the roadway. This is quite common in and around the towns and villages. So wearing a bright safety vest is advised. The one redeeming factor of this cobble paving is that even the smallest car sounds like a freight train approaching, which allows you to step off the road or squeeze yourself against the stone or concrete wall which line the road.

IMG_0659.JPG

It took my wife and I 14 days to walk from Porto to Santiago. We started by walking down the Rio Duoro to the coast, then up the coast to Vila do Conde before heading inland and Joining the central route at Arcos.

And here's a photo of the diabolical granite cobbles (click on the thumbnail below). The cobbles are about 100mm (4 inches) square, and have a very rough surface. Note the absence of a verge on either side of the road at this location, which means no choice but to walk in the roadway. This is quite common in and around the towns and villages. So wearing a bright safety vest is advised. The one redeeming factor of this cobble paving is that even the smallest car sounds like a freight train approaching, which allows you to step off the road or squeeze yourself against the stone or concrete wall which line the road.

View attachment 50640
I am corrected. I took the same route and thought I was taking my time with 13 days. Did you take three days to get to Arcos? I think the first day to Vila Chã was the longest on that Camino for me.

I am corrected. I took the same route and thought I was taking my time with 13 days. Did you take three days to get to Arcos? I think the first day to Vila Chã was the longest on that Camino for me.
We took our time. First night in Matoshinos, second night in Vila Chã, third night in San Pedro de Rates after joining the central route. We shoot for 20km per day overall, which means some longer, some shorter--the latter was more common on this journey.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

View attachment 50640
Thks for photo! Seems like road in any old city here. Is it safe for solo woman?

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back