• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walk independently or with a group?

ilokanawalay

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello! My name is Maria from NJ, USA. I plan to walk sometime this year (God-willing). It will be my very first attempt and I plan to do the full 800 km. I will be travelling to Europe by myself. Is it safe to do it alone or do I have to do it with a group? Any advice would be sincerely appreciated. :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think you can do it alone. In many cases a walking partner becomes a millstone. It is safe. There is always company. Walking alone you will not be tempted to walk at someone else's pace, either faster or more slowly.

Welcome.
Falcon has given you very good advice.
There really is no need to be part of an organized group. The only part that will worry you will be getting to SJPdP...no real worries there, but it seems scary if you have not traveled much. Thousands travel from the U.S. to the Camino every year and most do it alone for the first time.

After arrival you will soon find many others who are also starting out alone and a "group" or family will form. It is something that happens everyday on the Camino.

Your adventure has begun!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi! It's probably the most posted question of all (is it safe?). Yes, probably as safe as anywhere you'll ever be :D , but take the usual precautions especially in cities. So don't leave your iphone sitting on a table while you go to the bathroom etc! Buen Camino!

Hi Maria,

The Camino is generally safe, but I wanted to chime in here with the woman's point of view. You don't HAVE to walk the Camino with a group to be safe, but you may still choose to do it that way. You have to do what's right for you.

Being a woman on the Camino is different than being a man on the Camino. I don't say that to be alarmist, but there are different considerations for women. You will no doubt make friends on the Camino, and you will have the choice to walk with them or on your own on any given day. But you still want to be alert and aware on the trail and in the albergues.

Nancy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
nreyn12 said:
Being a woman on the Camino is different than being a man on the Camino.
Hi Nancy. Apart from the obvious and usual differences could you please explain this in more detail? I've walked with both men and women and I didn't notice that much difference in the experience really. Buen Camino!

I can see how the Camino can be a little unnerving for women who haven't traveled much alone. You are walking in the countryside, and depending on time of year, you may have LOTS of fellow pilgrims walking, or there may be long stretches when you are completely alone.

Personally, I feel the Camino is much safer than any American city (I've been called on this before but I STILL believe it). There is no WAY I would do a walk like this alone in the United States, but I feel perfectly safe in Spain.

There was only one time I felt afraid on the Camino, and that was on the Aragones, high up on a mountain, where I saw giant cat tracks.

Yes, I know, there are no wild cats in Spain, but I know what I saw.
I have a Wildlife Management degree - and am pretty good at tracks.
The hair on the back of my neck stood up and I didn't feel comfortable until I was down in the village.
But as far as being afraid of humans, never.

I think once the initial fear of being in a foreign country where you don't speak the language wears off, and once you're in your albergue or hostal in SJPP, you begin to realize it's going to be fine... and you relax.

But then, the fear is part of the thrill of the adventure for me, just like riding a roller coaster at the country fair!

Tyrrek: being a woman is just generally a totally different experience than being a man

this statistics gives a pretty good picture of that

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155402/women-feel-less-safe-men-developed-countries.aspx

also, in every lonely planet guide there is a specific chapter on women traveling alone safety, mostly for a good reason

it can be very intimidating for women to be alone with unknown men/man, specially if their intentions are hard to figure or they send off uncomfortable vibes, or alone just period somewhere where there are no other people close by

I am by no means saying that a woman shouldn't take on a solo camino experience, just that being male and female in that regard is not the same...

I myself was mugged coming out of Leon very early in the morning, I still went back the next year (and in spite walked out of Leon alone very early in the morning). That is no reason to stay home, but we are just in general more vulnerable than men in many regards...

In another instance I was being followed by a man in a car on the very deserted (and then brand new) coastal highway in Oman after he had shown "himself" to me outside my hotel when I got in the car, scarry shit and probably not something that usually happen to men, and these are just a few of the more severe examples of female existence, there are hundreds of others for most of us to tell about...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The above is really not meant to put people off, I have traveled alone all over the world for the last 25 years, just really an attempt to explain how male and female experiences may differ...

That said The Camino is probably one of the safest places one can go...

tyrrek said:
Apart from the obvious and usual differences could you please explain this in more detail?
Probably most of what I am referring to is the obvious and usual, but on the Camino they play out in ways that a first-time pilgrim might not know to be on the look-out for. If one is with an organized group, or a group of new Camino friends, these things might not ever come up.

Again, not to be alarmist, but women have to think of things a bit differently. And I will add that I have never felt unsafe on the Camino, but as you will see, I have had to be vigilant a few times. I have traveled extensively, not just on the Camino, and I have learned how and when to have my 'game face' on.

Here are some Camino-specific examples for you:

In the albergues, sometimes the bunks are very close together, so close that it's more like a double bed than a single bunk. I've been assigned one of those bunks next to a man I didn't know, and the hospitalero challenged me when I asked to be moved. Women need to know that they can insist on another bed if they are uncomfortable with the man next to them.

If a man was the only pilgrim at a male-hosted albergue, he probably wouldn't think twice about staying there. A woman would.

If a man is assigned the last bed in a dorm room full of men, no problem. A woman might not feel comfortable.

There is another thread on this forum about the STATISTICALLY RARE occurrence of a local man exposing himself - it's always to a woman, and usually she's walking alone.

I suspect that men traveling alone on the Camino don't often have to make up a fake wife to fend off aggressive Spanish women. I have a fake husband and have had to use him three times on the Camino.

A man might feel comfortable starting out in the morning in the dark alone; I probably wouldn't.

A man who goes out in Leon (or anywhere) and drinks one too many would probably get helped back to the albergue by his new Spanish friends. A woman might have a different experience.

For the record, much of this is common sense for wherever you are in the world. Be smart and be safe. The Camino is probably one of the safest places in Europe. Regardless, women have to think about these things.

Nancy

Thanks Pieces. I'm not trying to be bolshy but it's very easy for people to make claims that the experience is very different for different sexes without qualifying it and obviously without experience of being both sexes (in 99.9% of cases). A guy I knew got mugged in Santiago and had to go to hospital as a result of his injuries. I would suspect this kind of violent attack on women would be relatively rare, so perhaps I'm proving Nancy's point about a gender difference after all! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
probably not that much difference on the violent attacks, men on the other hand seldom get raped. but I think both Nancy and me are referring to the endless uncomfortable encounters most women confront....

nreyn12 said:
tyrrek said:
Apart from the obvious and usual differences could you please explain this in more detail?
Probably most of what I am referring to is the obvious and usual, but on the Camino they play out in ways that a first-time pilgrim might not know to be on the look-out for. If one is with an organized group, or a group of new Camino friends, these things might not ever come up.
Yep, organised groups are obviously best....

Again, not to be alarmist, but women have to think of things a bit differently. And I will add that I have never felt unsafe on the Camino, but as you will see, I have had to be vigilant a few times. I have traveled extensively, not just on the Camino, and I have learned how and when to have my 'game face' on.
Men too.

Here are some Camino-specific examples for you:

In the albergues, sometimes the bunks are very close together, so close that it's more like a double bed than a single bunk. I've been assigned one of those bunks next to a man I didn't know, and the hospitalero challenged me when I asked to be moved. Women need to know that they can insist on another bed if they are uncomfortable with the man next to them.
OK, I'll give you that. After all, men just can't be trusted.

If a man was the only pilgrim at a male-hosted albergue, he probably wouldn't think twice about staying there. A woman would. Why exactly? I suppose see above.

If a man is assigned the last bed in a dorm room full of men, no problem. A woman might not feel comfortable. I accept that.

There is another thread on this forum about the STATISTICALLY RARE occurrence of a local man exposing himself - it's always to a woman, and usually she's walking alone. That's probably because it's a sexual thing and STATISTICALLY most men are straight.
I suspect that men traveling alone on the Camino don't often have to make up a fake wife to fend off aggressive Spanish women. I have a fake husband and have had to use him three times on the Camino. Again be specific about the aggression you encountered.

A man might feel comfortable starting out in the morning in the dark alone; I probably wouldn't. I wouldn't without a torch.
A man who goes out in Leon (or anywhere) and drinks one too many would probably get helped back to the albergue by his new Spanish friends. A woman might have a different experience.
A man would find himself stripped naked and tied to a lampost with someone's bootlaces. A woman would probably not.

For the record, much of this is common sense for wherever you are in the world. Be smart and be safe. The Camino is probably one of the safest places in Europe. Regardless, women have to think about these things. So do men.

Nancy
Sorry to be picky Nancy and I agree there are differences between gender, and that everyone has to be careful and sensible, especially in the cities. But in the context of the Camino I think women are pretty safe (as you have also said). I'm sorry I extended this discussion really. Buen Camino!

There is another thread on this forum about the STATISTICALLY RARE occurrence of a local man exposing himself - it's always to a woman, and usually she's walking alone.
The exception proving the rule, I, a male, was flashed after Puente la Reina. The man was standing in a drainage culvert a couple of hundred meters away, and dropped his pants around his ankles.

I walked last spring with a German/Costa Rican girl who was stalked for several days by a Spanish man she met in Burgos. He followed in a car, and found her evenings wherever she stopped. She told her story to everyone in the albergue, and virtually all the men agreed to accompany her walking and in the evenings. Eventually, the stalker stopped showing up. Naturally, it was quite unnerving for her, though she was never physically assaulted. It was just a guy that would not take "no" for an answer, which can become dangerous.

I have been alone in albergues with women, and I can tell that they are nervous. Being friendly and over-solicitous seems to be worse than being friendly, but distant. I do things like take the bunk the farthest from theirs, and leaving when they head for the showers. I suppose there is no universally proper technique for giving assurances, but men should be aware of their impact on single women.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nice post Falcon

I think very few men realize how ingrained caution is in the female behavior, I don't even think we realize ourselves...

I was just thinking in the kitchen of how often the first reaction to a woman being assaulted is "she probably asked for it" or "she shouldn't have worn that short dress, it was her own fault" etc or how many women actually argue that wife battering are their own fault. The scary part is that these are so universally accepted truths that even women think them instinctively, even if our next thought is how insane the previous thought was....

falcon269 said:
...men should be aware of their impact on single women.
Totally agree. Just as in every area of life. The Camino is no different. Buen Camino!

Pieces said:
the endless uncomfortable encounters most women confront....
Obviously you can't detail them all Pieces as the thread would be endless. But seriously, just give us a few examples of where you think female pilgrims should be aware. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pieces said:
I think there are plenty examples all ready in this thread...
Falcon has given a few specific examples. You mention women being raped on the Camino. When, and how often does this happen among the quarter of a million people walking the route each year? Every one is horrific, but do you know how often this happens? Is it in albergues?! Buen Camino!

Maria:

The post you have made here is a frequent one. That in itself says that there is a difference between men, women and their personal comfort walking the Camino.

The Camino Frances imo, is a very safe route for anyone to walk. You are not likely to be exposed to exhibitionist, stalkers or other types of characters identified in the post but it is a possibility. If it does occur, I suggest you mention it to others you have developed a relationship with along the way. Your fellow Pilgrims will be more than happy to keep an eye out for you.

I can only recall one incident during my walks. Another Pilgrim was paying a little to much unwanted attention to a young woman in our group. By group, I mean we had been introduced and shared several meals together. A companion of hers mentioned this to us. We saw this young man later in the day and my friend spoke to him about what we had been told, without accusing. He acknowledged what we said and we never saw him again.

As far as walking with a group, unless it is a wife, husband, family member, special friend or the only way you believe you will be comfortable, I would recommend against it. You are never really alone on the Camino during the busy season.

My point is you need not be afraid on your journey. You will be able to surround yourself with as many or as few Pilgrims as you choose. If by some chance you encounter an uncomfortable situation, reach out to your fellow Pilgrims for support.

Pieces said:
maybe read the post again ?
Which one? I can't find any actual incidences of rape on this thread, and don't remember seeing any on the forum. Please send a quote, I'll be happy to apologise if I've overlooked something. Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
I'm sorry I extended this discussion really.
I think it's a very valuable discussion, if only to illuminate that men and women have different safety concerns on the Camino. Aggression towards women often has a different motivation than that against men, and we feel vulnerable in a different way. Feeling safe on the Camino is less about if the Camino is safe than it is about how a woman feels about being safe anywhere.

Tyrrek, here are my responses to your questions:

tyrrek said:
If a man was the only pilgrim at a male-hosted albergue, he probably wouldn't think twice about staying there. A woman would. Why exactly? I suppose see above.
I once encountered an overly affectionate male hospitalero. Had I been the only pilgrim in his albergue, I wouldn't have stayed.
tyrrek said:
I suspect that men traveling alone on the Camino don't often have to make up a fake wife to fend off aggressive Spanish women. I have a fake husband and have had to use him three times on the Camino. Again be specific about the aggression you encountered.
In one incident I had a man invite himself back to my hotel room when I indicated I was going to go rest. Another time a man I was talking to in a park asked me to come home with him for the evening. Both of their intents were obvious, and while I felt no physical threat, it was very difficult to fend them off in my second language of Spanish.

tyrrek said:
A man would find himself stripped naked and tied to a lampost with someone's bootlaces. A woman would probably not.
tyrrek said:
Regardless, women have to think about these things. So do men.
It's not a competition on who has to feel more cautious or who might face a greater threat. The OP is a woman, and she asked the question from a woman's perspective, not from a man's. EVERYONE should be vigilant about their safety when walking the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
falcon269 said:
I, a male, was flashed after Puente la Reina.
Falcon, I'm curious, how did you handle it?
falcon269 said:
I do things like take the bunk the farthest from theirs, and leaving when they head for the showers. I suppose there is no universally proper technique for giving assurances, but men should be aware of their impact on single women.
Thanks for this. This is a perfect approach and I am sure very much appreciated.

Thanks Nancy.

I was just concerned that this thead didn't lead to unnecessary concern. As I said earlier, one of the most commonly asked questions on the forum is 'Is it safe for a woman?' and I believe it's as safe as anywhere else, if not safer. I'm sorry if women have been subjected to aggression or rape, but if so it's not the typical experience. Women are probably more likely to find themselves in a Camino family where everyone looks out for each other, as has happened on both my Camino Franceses. On the last one myself and another guy walked most of the way with a woman who walked at a slower pace than us. If she ever dropped back out of sight we would stop, she would catch up, we'd have a cigarette and carry on. I was more concerned about being patronising than in her safety sometimes, but we wanted her to feel the support and safety of her 'family'! :D

As you say, much of it is about perceptions.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
falcon269 wrote: I, a male, was flashed after Puente la Reina.

Falcon, I'm curious, how did you handle it?
I would have reported it had the opportunity presented itself, but it was a Sunday, and I did not find an open bar for a couple of hours. Since I doubted that the fellow would stand in that pipe for hours, there would have been little chance of finding out who he was, so I ordered and drank a coffee, and moved on. It was in March, so foot traffic was light, and the albergues were closed except in the major destinations. I stayed in a hostal in Estella, so did not congregate with pilgrims until Los Arcos, by which time telling the story would have done little more than make the women nervous! Information is useful, but I am not sure scaring people with old news, or catering to their curiosity, is the best use of information.

Walking the reverse of the Fisterra route, I encountered an aggressive dog who had chewed through or slipped his collar, which I could see lying at the end of its chain. For the next half hour I warned all the forward direction pilgrims about the dog. In that case, the information had some probative value!

It's hard to think of what to say or do when flashed.
It's said that the people who do this are not dangerous.
They get their kicks from your horrified response, maybe translating into, "Oh LOOK@! My penis is so huge and impressive, she's running away!"

I have never had any problems on the Camino. I try not to walk alone on the long forested stretches.
But I did see a guy on a busy rush hour street in Portland, Oregon, facing the traffic and just going to it, masturbating. I was on my bicycle. People were passing in droves and he just kept it up. I guess it was like exposing yourself on steroids or something. :lol:

I have a girlfriend who has give me the BEST response I've ever heard. I'm saving it for that special occasion. She and her 5 year old daughter were walking to the car in the grocery store parking lot, when a guy drove up to them with an open window and exposed himself.

She laughed, pointed at him, and loudly said, "OH LOOK, MEGAN! LIKE A PENIS, ONLY SMALLER!" :p

The guy drove away quickly.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back