• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Walk into Leon

caminorobin

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (ongoing)
Hi, we're currently walking the Camino Frances and a bit concerned by our copy of John Brierley's guide advising pilgrims to skip the walk into Leon as it's unsafe. Really don't want to skip any part of the Camino, but can anyone advise if it's safe to do this section on foot? Thanks in advance for your help.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, we're currently walking the Camino Frances and a bit concerned by our copy of John Brierley's guide advising pilgrims to skip the walk into Leon as it's unsafe. Really don't want to skip any part of the Camino, but can anyone advise if it's safe to do this section on foot? Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi @caminorobin, welcome to the forum. Not sure which edition of St John’s book you have. Mine makes no reference to safety, just the tedium of a long stretch of commercial premises and offices. No hazards. A lot of people find the big city feel a bit of a shock after the Meseta. Just be aware of traffic!! You’ll be in a busy place full of busy people so stay alert, pay attention at road crossings, don’t rush. You’ll get to the cathedral and the pilgrim heart of the city soon enough.
Buen Camino

I have walked 6times into Leon,even when blue bridge over motorway was closed and never had an unsafe journey.Hope you have a good trip.Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is perfectly safe. Don’t skip it. It is just as much a part of your pilgrimage as any other part. Stay focused on the way markers, embrace it all, and stop at a few of the cafes as you enter the city, taking your time. It is all part of the experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is perfectly safe. Don’t skip it. It is just as much a part of your pilgrimage as any other part. Stay focused on the way markers, embrace it all, and stop at a few of the cafes as you enter the city, taking your time. It is all part of the experience.
I agree it is safe and many places to stay at and great place to eat.

I just got back from doing the Camino Frances and did the whole thing. Yes, you have to be very careful when walking on the stones and rocks, especially when they are wet, and always be alert to where you step and make sure you are balanced. Some parts were harder than others, but you don't want to skip it. Don't even skip the Meseta, as some people do. It has it's own beauty. I felt very safe the whole way, plus there's other Pilgrims you'll see.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, you have to be very careful when walking on the stones and rocks, especially when they are wet, and always be alert to where you step and make sure you are balanced
Agreed and welcome to the forum, @TAASHLEY but you are not talking about the walk into Leon here, are you?

Do you remember anything particular about this part of the Camino trail just before Leon?

It would be particularly interesting to hear from recent pilgrims like you. Because this section has changed significantly over recent years. When I walked several years ago into Leon, I followed the official detour trail because of major roadworks on the actual trail; the large blue metal pedestrian bridge was closed at the time. These works were finished last year or the year before (2020 or 2019) and I would suspect that this part is now particularly safe to walk for pilgrims.

I am assuming that any concerns about "safety" refer to road safety / safety of pedestrians in relation to car traffic.

Just to illustrate it, here are photos of the two pedestrian bridges just before Leon that form part of The Camino Frances trail.

You walk from right to left over these two bridges. I assume that crossing such wide dual carriageways was dangerous in the past but with all the improvements of path and road design this is no longer the case.

The descent into Leon mentioned in an earlier post in this thread - it was in fact iffy when it was raining or had rained; I remember it vividly - was part of the detour trail. It is of no importance anymore as it is no longer part of the Camino trail.

Leon bridges.jpg

Last edited:
It’s perfectly safe ….. I walked here this morning …… under the bluest of skies. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Cindi and I hiked into Leon this morning. Various parts including the pedestrian bridge, commercial areas, hiking through university areas then finally the old town. This is our 4th CF so know our way but found it easy to follow the flechas and would never skip this segment. Bob

We did it yesterday and it’s absolutely fine. I was dreading the long walk on hard pavements but it’s much easier than the walks into Logroño or Burgos. Hope that helps.

Completed the Frances in late October 2019. No problems walking into Leon. Just take care coming out of Leon if it is raining. I slipped on wet tiles and broke my wrist (as I could wiggle my fingers didn’t realise it was broken until two days later when I saw a GP in Astorga). Picture of me early the following morning getting ready to hop in a taxi to Ponferrada hospital.

Of course I wasn’t using my poles at the time as I was in a city.

We ended up getting a couple of taxis prior to Sarria as two sections were not doable for me with a sling and cast on in the pouring rain with backpack and one pole. Didn’t want to risk a broken leg or hip as well🤣

Cindi and I hiked into Leon this morning. Various parts including the pedestrian bridge, commercial areas, hiking through university areas then finally the old town. This is our 4th CF so know our way but found it easy to follow the flechas and would never skip this segment. Bob

Attachments

• 92D95CE2-5079-4C7D-9217-A657752854F5.jpeg
    92D95CE2-5079-4C7D-9217-A657752854F5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walk into Leon every time I walk the Camino. I have never had a problem. If you have walked the Camino before, then with a little map study you will find a way that cuts 2/3 of the in-town walk.

Thanks for all the encouraging replies, what a lovely community this is. Walked into Leon today and didn't find it dangerous at all. A nice day's walking and far less tiresome than the official route into Burgos. Possibly the situation was different in 2018 when our guidebook edition came out. Must get an up to date one!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back