• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk on by

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi all,

I'm curious to know, which towns/gites would you recommend walking on by?

Merci,
Sonn
:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Sonn,
This is such a beautiful walk that it's hard to come up with miss-able places. But I've got a few. I thought the town of Nogaro was kind of dismal, it was grey and kind of charmless. We were very glad we had planned to walk on for several more hours to Lanne Soubiran. We stayed at a farm gite in the middle of the country, very well appointed. It's small (I think there were six of us and it was full). Very nice place, great dinner. We walked a few hundred meters to the local 13th century church and got a personal tour from the people who live next door and have a key. This was 7 years ago, so the info may be out of date but here is the contact information I had:

Gite Monique de San Nicolas
phone: 05 62 08 83 81

(my journal goes on in rapture about the cheese course!)

The other place I just didn't like at all was the city of Cahors. The bridge is amazing, kind of a fortress bridge, and there are some old parts of town that could be wonderfully restored, but I just didn't have the feeling that this was a city with a lot of civic spirit. Everywhere else we were amazed by tons of colorful flowers, here not. It was jut not one of my favorites. Others will undoubtedly disagree, this is all so personal.

Anyway, I'll look through my journals some more to see if I have more places to put in this category, but as I said, the hard part of this camino is deciding which lovely town to stop in, not which ones to miss! Buen camino, Laurie

It is not shown in the latest Miam Miam Dodo, but there is a place in La Communal after Livinhac-le-Haut that had a lot of character and a lot of mold and moisture. It is a farm with several dorm rooms in farm sheds. The owner had to chase a giant frog/toad out of our room, saucer sized. It has lots of sinks, mostly outdoors, and a couple of indoor showers. The kitchen was well equipped, but there was no food to purchase except when passing through Livinhac. There were a few items like dried soup mix available for sale and use on an "honor bar" shelf.

The place had character with horses all around, and would be great for summer parties in the large patio area, but the dampness and mold left me with clogged sinuses!!

I don't know if I would say to avoid it, but know what you are getting. It is about 1 km off the route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Whatever you do, don't miss Decazeville! (I know, I know. I just wanted to be the first and only pilgrim ever to say that.)

Hey, Falcon, I stayed in Les Volets too, and loved it. In fact, I rather liked the town. It's like an Australian coal town that's seen better days. (In fact, it's a French coal town that's seen better days.) Seriously, after getting with the whole Conques thing for a couple of days, it was good to encounter a busy shopping strip, rugby stuff, mall rats and all that.

Next day, Fred and Vero's wonderful rural gite at Montredon. Another world again!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The only places I really ran into trouble, was because I was NOT staying at a demi-pension, and then had to deal with Sunday or Monday closing. A can of sardines and a carrot does not a dinner make, sorry. So do plan ahead.

Guys, thanks again for sharing your recommendations. Much appreciated as always.

:)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back