• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk or bus to Finisterre

angelab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances June (2017)
I arrived in Santiago yesterday after walking Frances from St Jean. I have been planning to walk to Finisterre then Muxia starting tomorrow. I woke up this morning and wondered why I feel I need to walk it after already walking 799+kms! My body feels good so that's not an issue. I'm very tired. Feeling very indecisive. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have always walked to the lighthouse. I find it a gentle wind-down after the hurly-burly of the Frances and Santiago. Though I believe the route is getting busier. Muxia is a truly lovely little town and Lires, halfway between Fisterra and Muxia is also a delight.

If you have the time have a day or two in Santiago and then see where your feet take you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Congrats @angelab! You made it!

I agree with Tincatinker - take a day or two in Santiago then see how you feel. The bus is always there to take you to at least see Finisterre and Muxia if you don't want to walk any more.

By the way, at Pilgrim House we have special credenciales for the Finisterre/ Muxia route if you do want to walk. They're issued by Solpor, the hospitality association for the Camino Finisterre and Muxia routes. We're closed today but tomorrow (Monday) you can pick one up for free.

ENJOY your time in Santiago and maybe we'll meet you soon!
Faith

When I walked the Camino Francis in 2015 I also stopped at Santiago. Now when I walk the Portuguese Route in August I feel I need to finish what I began back in 2015, and after Santiago I will go on to Finistere and Muxia. It's a dangling participle in my otherwise awesome adventure, one thing more to finish before climbing Jacob's Ladder (which I secretly pray is an escalator because of my bad knee).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I arrived in Santiago yesterday after walking Frances from St Jean. I have been planning to walk to Finisterre then Muxia starting tomorrow. I woke up this morning and wondered why I feel I need to walk it after already walking 799+kms! My body feels good so that's not an issue. I'm very tired. Feeling very indecisive. Any thoughts?
I was the same when I arrived in santiago. The bus was fine, I didn't feel like I 'cheated or anything. but it will give me an excuse to go back for a few days and complete the walk.

Wait a few days if you can, then decide. It is really a nice walk but not so calm as a few years ago. A lot more pilgrims now so I haven't had the feeling of unwinding. But the view of the ocean from above the hills is so beautiful. And Muxia, if you go there, is such a peaceful place.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have walked to Finister / Muxia several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, there is nothing wrong with hanging out in Santiago for a couple of days as a rewarding end of your camino. Only you know how you feel. Finister and Muxia will not disappear overnight, so instead of bussing there now, I would walk there some other time. (always good to keep something to look forward to).

For me, the walk to Finisterre and on to Muxia "completed" my pilgrimage. Plus, the first view of the ocean from the path was stunning, like seeing the spires of the cathedral for the first time.
Yes I felt that way too - I first spent two days in Santiago before and it was indeed a beautiful walk. If you do decide to walk you will always remember the walk to the "edge of the world"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Have walked to Finister / Muxia several times and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, there is nothing wrong with hanging out in Santiago for a couple of days as a rewarding end of your camino. Only you know how you feel. Finister and Muxia will not disappear overnight, so instead of bussing there now, I would walk there some other time. (always good to keep something to look forward to).
I second that.
Only when I first came to Santiago walking I realized it would be different if previously I'd be there by bus. I bused to SdC last year doing combination of different Caminos and I didn't feel anything special. Exactly the same with Fisterra/Muxia. I think that @angelab either leave it for next time or walk it now.

Anyway Buen Camino :)

Angela, if you wanted to save walking to Finisterre and Muxia for another time but still wanted to go to the ocean and sit for a while, you could take the train to La Coruña from Santiago (about 6 - 8€, 30 minutes). There is a beautiful ocean walk (paseo marítimo) all around the peninsula plus an 800-year-old lighthouse, the Torre de Hercules, to enjoy.

Enjoy whatever you decide!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Angela,

Congratulations, that is quite a feat walking from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela!

When I walked the Francés I got to Santiago and mentally I was not done walking. I needed more contemplation and introspection time so I continued walking. Do what feels right for you. There are many wonderful options and I'm sure you will make the right choice.

Buen Camino.

My wife and I had intended to walk on to Muxia and Finistere after completing the Portuguese Camino. Both of us were both feeling a little beat up, so we did the bus trip with a private operator. Saw both Finistere and Muxia. Once back in Santiago, we still had a few days, so we walked from Santiago to Negreira and then back to Santiago the next day for something to do. Many people asked as we were returning from Negreira if we had walked to the coast and back. They seemed relieved when we advised no!

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hola @angelab, I understand your predicament, in fact it was the one real disappointment from my recent Camino Frances. I needed another two days to be able to walk to Muxia (no interest in seeing Finisterre) and still get to Madrid for my flight home. So (imho) if you can, go for it!!!:);)

When I walked the Camino Francis in 2015 I also stopped at Santiago. Now when I walk the Portuguese Route in August I feel I need to finish what I began back in 2015, and after Santiago I will go on to Finistere and Muxia. It's a dangling participle in my otherwise awesome adventure, one thing more to finish before climbing Jacob's Ladder (which I secretly pray is an escalator because of my bad knee).

Hola Coleen - you have effectively stolen my 2019 (70th anniversary) plans, although I was trying to find a short-cut (as about 15km south of SDC) to join the camino to Finisterre & on to Muxia. Cheers

Yes, definitely walk to Finisterre. I found the countryside is nothing different from what you will have experienced before Santiago.... but that first glimpse of the sea followed by a barefoot walk on the sand into the town is definitely worth the extra few days!

For me, finishing at the sea, at the waters edge, at the "end of the earth" was priceless. Unforgettable.

By the way, I didnt get my Compostella stamped at the lighthouse. That way it feels like the journey's never over. Next month I walk from Le Puy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Angelab, just saw your message for the first time and read all the responses to this point. I agree with all those who suggested walking to Finisterre for the many reasons given in the comments. I was going to mention the first sight of the water that you see which is the bay and then Cabo Finisterre with Monte Pindo directly east and across the bay from the Cabo. When I saw it, after about 900 km of land, I voiced the words aloud "Oh the Joy." Those were the words spoken by the explorers Lewis and Clark when they first sighted the water of the Pacific Ocean in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. back in the very early 1800s. Those words subsequently showed up on a 5 cent U.S. coin commemorating their expedition. It is a memorable experience.

Another reason that no one has yet mentioned specifically is if you walk to F., you can obtain a Fisterriana certificate with the necessary stamps in the credential that NateFaith mentioned. You will need one stamp for each day of your journey. The tourism office in the downtown part of the city of Finisterre issues the certificate. Similarly, if you then walk to Muxia, you can obtain a Muxiana certificate from the tourism office there with the same requirement. For the Muxiana, you will need to get one stamp in Lires. You can see copies of these certificates in the latest Brierley guide for Sarria - Santiago - Finisterre, including Muxia Circuit & Camino Ingles. If you go, you will find the narrative directions in the Brierley guide very helpful between Finisterre and Muxia with not enough yellow arrows or clearly labeled concrete markers on some sections.

Good luck on your decision. Buen Camino, CT

Last edited:
Hi Angelab,
I can highly recommend the additional walk to Finisterre. It gives you another amazing "arrival". This year I walked to Muxia first and then down to Fisterra before taking the bus back to SdC - another very memorable experience. Good luck with whatever you decide, and Buen Camino.

@CumbresTrekker said.
"Hi Angelab, just saw your message for the first time and read all the responses to this point. I agree with all those who suggested walking to Finisterre for the many reasons given in the comments. I was going to mention the first sight of the water that you see which is the bay and then Cabo Finisterre with Monte Pindo directly east and across the bay from the Cabo."

Monte Pindo is important in that area because it was in the past a sacred pagan mountain.

Hi Angelab, just saw your message for the first time and read all the responses to this point. I agree with all those who suggested walking to Finisterre for the many reasons given in the comments. I was going to mention the first sight of the water that you see which is the bay and then Cabo Finisterre with Monte Pindo directly east and across the bay from the Cabo. When I saw it, after about 900 km of land, I voiced the words aloud "Oh the Joy." Those were the words spoken by the explorers Lewis and Clark when they first sighted the water of the Pacific Ocean in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. back in the very early 1800s. Those words subsequently showed up on a 5 cent U.S. coin commemorating their expedition. It is a memorable experience.

Another reason that no one has yet mentioned specifically is if you walk to F., you can obtain a Fisterriana certificate with the necessary stamps in the credential that NateFaith mentioned. You will need one stamp for each day of your journey. The tourism office in the downtown part of the city of Finisterre issues the certificate. Similarly, if you then walk to Muxia, you can obtain a Muxiana certificate from the tourism office there with the same requirement. For the Muxiana, you will need to get one stamp in Lires. You can see copies of these certificates in the latest Brierley guide for Sarria - Santiago - Finisterre, including Muxia Circuit & Camino Ingles. If you go, you will find the narrative directions in the Brierley guide very helpful between Finisterre and Muxia with not enough yellow arrows or clearly labeled concrete markers on some sections.

Good luck on your decision. Buen Camino, CT
Thank you so much for your reply. Still undecided. I'm thinking it may he best to return and do it as a Camino on its own. Honour it the way I feel it needs to be honoured.

Thank you so much for your reply. Still undecided. I'm thinking it may he best to return and do it as a Camino on its own. Honour it the way I feel it needs to be honoured.
Another route is from malpica to finnestre. Coastal route of the lighthouse. 200k breath taking. IMHO

I took the bus to Finisterre and back in 2014, due to lack of time. Whatever other factors influence your decision, be aware that the bus tip is nauseating for those who are prone to motion sickness, in particular the section approaching and leaving Finisterre, which winds around coves in the bay. If you do it then the some motion sickness medication may save you some unpleasantness.

Love walking. Why would you sit on bhs for 3 hour when you can be on camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Yes, this is what I did this past March. On my first camino, I intended to continue on to Finisterre, but I'm a bit of a lingerer when I walk and didn't have enough time after arriving in Santiago. Also didn't have enough time with my following caminos. When I walked this past March, it was specifically for Finisterre. Loved it. Starting in Santiago I gave myself 2 full days in the city to just be there - wander and get over jet lag a bit. A slow 5 days to Finisterre (I like to stop and explore if a place interests me) 2 nights and one full day in Finisterre and a bus back to Santiago . I had intended to walk on to Muxia but ran out of time :) So at some point I will return to walk Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago...or the other way around.

...So at some point I will return to walk Finisterre to Muxia to Santiago...or the other way around.
I like Fisterra more than Muxia but if you go first to Muxia the stages can be more equal in length than SdC-Fisterra, all 4 at just a bit above 20km/day: SdC - Negreira - Santa Marina - Dumbria - Muxia. View over the sea isn't so spectacular but coming to Muxia is also on the beach although much smaller ;)
And then followed with two easy (17+14km) stages through Lires to Fisterra.

Also Fisterra has much better bus connections than Muxia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I plan to walk to Finsiterre in October/November of this year God willing but as they say the best laid plans of mice and men etc. etc. Some questions though. How does a person get from Finisterre to Madrid which will be my connection back to "The Big Sack." The Big Sack is what some Sacramentans call Sacramento. We are kind of locked into the return trip as we have already purchase our round trip airline tickets although we do have lots of wiggle room to see historical sites, churches and my hiking buddy's relatives in Spain.

I plan to walk to Finsiterre in October/November of this year God willing but as they say the best laid plans of mice and men etc. etc. Some questions though. How does a person get from Finisterre to Madrid which will be my connection back to "The Big Sack." The Big Sack is what some Sacramentans call Sacramento. We are kind of locked into the return trip as we have already purchase our round trip airline tickets although we do have lots of wiggle room to see historical sites, churches and my hiking buddy's relatives in Spain.

I'm from Carmichael/Fair Oaks though I moved to Utah 23 years ago. Never heard of "The Big Sack" must be relatively new or maybe I am just old . . . yeah, I'm sure that is it.

I would make my way back from Finisterre to Santiago (walk or bus) then take the train to Madrid. Check Renfe. It looks like it is about 64 euro and takes about 5 hours.

I'm sitting in a comfy chair in a beautiful old albergue called Albergue Lagroso feeling very happy that I decided to walk to Finisterre. My feet & body feel good. Dinner aroma is wafting past my nose as the hospitalero prepares vegetarian dinner with love. The landscape and scenery is stunning & worth every step :D

€149,-
Hi Angela...
Keep up with the posts! I'd love to know how you get on. I'm on the CF, at the moment about a day away from León, and hoping to do the same as you after reaching Santiago.
According to my info though, there is only a cafe at Hospital, no albergues. I was going to make that night's stop at Cee (making a 31.5km day). Not sure if anyone else has more recent information??

Hi Angela...
Keep up with the posts! I'd love to know how you get on. I'm on the CF, at the moment about a day away from León, and hoping to do the same as you after reaching Santiago.
According to my info though, there is only a cafe at Hospital, no albergues. I was going to make that night's stop at Cee (making a 31.5km day). Not sure if anyone else has more recent information??
There is an albergue in Hospital: https://www.gronze.com/galicia/coruna/hospital/albergue-castelino
The lady running the bar/restaurante is the owner so you should first climb up to the bar on the main road and make arrangements with her.

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Of course you need to walk because that's what pilgrims do. If you have the time take another day or 2 in Santiago and as you probably know already, see lots of old friends, then walk for sure.
It's a really great 3 day walk!

Hi Angela...
Hello, I walked from Santa Marina to Cee and
It was a good walk. The reviews of albergue in Hospital weren't good so chose to walk on. Stayed at Albergue Moreira - great place and lovely owners. Stayed in Finisterre last night and am now in Muxia. Buen Camino :)

Of course you need to walk because that's what pilgrims do. If you have the time take another day or 2 in Santiago and as you probably know already, see lots of old friends, then walk for sure.
It's a really great 3 day walk!
It's a beautiful walk. I took 4 days which was perfect for me.

Hot off the press...my feet say yes! I'm walking to Finisterre tomorrow and then to Muxia :) Thinking 4 days to Finisterre then 1 or 2 days to Muxia. These are my proposed overnight stops: Negreira, Santa Marina, Hospital, Finisterre. Any suggestions or changes? :rolleyes:

Plan or plan not. Nowhere do you go until you do. (she says in her best Yoda voice.) Skip the bus unless injured. When you return, it may be to walk a different way to Santiago.

I almost didn't walk to Finisterre...but then I did. The weather was warming and the coastal heath was flowering with yellow peas, looking a lot like coastal heath here in Oz when it's dry in late winter. Really, it turned out to be a highlight of the whole long trudge started in snow on the Aubrac. Some pics...
https://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/to-cape-finisterre/

If you're tempted, I'd say go!

Bon Camino

Rob

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I almost didn't walk to Finisterre...but then I did. The weather was warming and the coastal heath was flowering with yellow peas, looking a lot like coastal heath here in Oz when it's dry in late winter. Really, it turned out to be a highlight of the whole long trudge started in snow on the Aubrac. Some pics...
https://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/to-cape-finisterre/

If you're tempted, I'd say go!

Bon Camino

Rob
Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Hot off the press...my feet say yes! I'm walking to Finisterre tomorrow and then to Muxia :) Thinking 4 days to Finisterre then 1 or 2 days to Muxia. These are my proposed overnight stops: Negreira, Santa Marina, Hospital, Finisterre. Any suggestions or changes? :rolleyes:
I’m at decision point too and after reading all responses think I’ll march ahead! Do fellow pilgrims have recommendations for lodging along the way? No more albergues for me

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back