• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk or bus to Matosinhos

Salpal

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Coastal Camino in May 2020
Hi all,

If timing is an issue - do you highly recommend walking to Matosinhos or is catching a bus an option?

I just feel like I'll be cheating if I don't walk it?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hear of many people starting from Matosinhos (bus or metro from Porto).

Last fall, I didn't want a very long day to begin the Camino from the cathedral to Vila do Conde, so the day I arrived I walked the 6-7 miles to Matosinhos, then took the metro back into town for the evening in Porto (appx 30 minutes). The next morning, I took metro back out to Matosinhos and began walking from the spot I left the day before. It worked out well.

Is this a possibility for you?

I would NEVER miss the walk down river Douro and then up the coast to Matosinhos, it is BEAUTIFUL, I would most definitely walk those few miles, particularly in the early evening it is just so nice!

1581086360565.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would NEVER miss the walk down river Douro and then up the coast to Matosinhos, it is BEAUTIFUL, I would most definitely walk those few miles, particularly in the early evening it is just so nice!

View attachment 69422
I agree with @amancio...it is sooo nice and then as a bonus you will really be starting your camino in Porto!

Last edited:
On my way back home I flew from Porto. I had a spare day and a half so I walked from the cathedral to the Parque da cidade with a stop at the beach. I walked 1,5h only and took a small detour across the Crystal Palace Gardens, which I recommend to visit.

If you are not in a hurry and you are open to the end of your walk I would like you to recommend to walk by the shore of the Dourro and the lovely beachside.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year our flight arrived at Porto at midday. We took the metro to Porto. At the cathedral we had our credencials stamped and then walked 12km following the river and sea front to Matosinhos to our first night stop. Fabulous fish restaurants there. Next day we walked on to Parvoa.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year our flight arrived at Porto at midday. We took the metro to Porto. At the cathedral we had our credencials stamped and then walked 12km following the river and sea front to Matosinhos to our first night stop. Fabulous fish restaurants there. Next day we walked on to Parvoa.

Exactly what we did. Started walking around 1-2 pm after having flown in from Canada and taking the metro to Cathedral. Walked to Matosinhos, 28 degrees in the blazing sun, backpacks on, and severely jet lagged, but thoroughly enjoying the sights and sounds of the city, it’s people, the river Douro and it’s beaches. Needless to say we slept like babies that night. Wouldnt have want to miss it.

Indeed, forgot to mention BBQ fish restaurants in Leixoes/Matosinhos, fresh fish on hot coals. Can you beat that? Even a modest sardine! Beautiful

Hola, some interesting suggestions on how to start this Camino. My brother and I have booked accommodation at Lavra/Angeiras so its about 15km or so. But we are still considering the metro out to Foz do Douro. But we do have a spare day before the walk so we might end up walking the whole way. Our second day will be either Vila de Conde or Povoa de Varzim. Taking our time to get our Camino legs. Cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
See how you feel. It’s a lovely walk along the river. For me it was right not to overdue it in the start. But I like rivers.

We are doing the coastal route starting in early June. We plan to walk the Matosinhos and then get the metro back to Porto. The following morning we will get the metro back out to Matosinhos and then walk to Villa de Conde

It is, of course, up to you. You won't be cheating by the rules of the people who give out the Compostelas. Their rules don't really concern anything beyond the last 100 km for those who walk. If you really feel like you would be cheating, then I would advise against it. My personal preference is to walk from where I get my first stamp. But my personal preference is also not to be tight for time. And it is not like I've never done things that would be considered "cheating" on the Camino. I remember one bit between Tosantos and Villafranca Montes de Oca on the Frances that I still don't regret.

But if you can make the time, I enjoyed the walk along the river and coast from Porto to Matosinhos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back