• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk or cycle; changing horses (or bikes) mid-stream

MainePilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2018)
Maine Pilgrim here. We are two women, 70, scheduled to walk the Camino Portugues soon -- very soon! We walked the Via Francigena in Tuscany for two weeks last year and loved every minute of it. This year one of us has been afflicted with plantar fascitis for almost six months. One cortisone shot has provided some relief but not all. Walking 9 miles last week caused quite alot of pain. Another shot due in a week, then leaving a week later to start the walk from Porto to Santago. We worry that the next shot won't provide the relief needed to walk 15 to 20 miles each day that we have planned. What to do? Walk and deal with it? Walk and find transportation at times when it becomes uncomfortable (is that feasible?). Cycle? If cycle, how and where to coordinate? So many questions, so little time. Quitting is not an option. We would love input from those who have traveled this route. Gracias!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maine Pilgrim here. We are two women, 70, scheduled to walk the Camino Portugues soon -- very soon! We walked the Via Francigena in Tuscany for two weeks last year and loved every minute of it. This year one of us has been afflicted with plantar fascitis for almost six months. One cortisone shot has provided some relief but not all. Walking 9 miles last week caused quite alot of pain. Another shot due in a week, then leaving a week later to start the walk from Porto to Santago. We worry that the next shot won't provide the relief needed to walk 15 to 20 miles each day that we have planned. What to do? Walk and deal with it? Walk and find transportation at times when it becomes uncomfortable (is that feasible?). Cycle? If cycle, how and where to coordinate? So many questions, so little time. Quitting is not an option. We would love input from those who have traveled this route. Gracias!
Cycle, if it is anything like the Frances you won't be alone, and there's guides for avoiding the tricky bits, I think my next Camino will be with two wheels, choice of bike is the next question.

I've only cycled the CF last year, so not sure what the Portugues route is like, but please don't think cycling is an easier option. If you plan to cycle the same distance per day as you would walking, then maybe it will be ok. Note some albergues don't accept cycles. Check the Bike Iberia and Bicigrino websites for hire packages.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My experience of riding between Porto and Santiago is that it is more bone rattling than the Frances. The cobbles and cubed white stones that make up parts of the route... jarring to even walk a bike across. Having said that I would do it again... Do take care if you have an injury that could get aggravated!

My experience - PF was actually a 10cm tear in the fascia. That took months to heal. When it happened the decision not to walk was pretty easy - I simply could not.

If you do go ahead and run into problems - there are lots of wonderful alternatives. Walk short distances, discover local buses, take side trips, hire a car - or just sit around in Porto eating fabulous food and enjoying the local life! Portugal is a great place.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back