• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walk solo or with a tour group?

terillp

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015)
I am planning on walking the last 100 km of the Camino Frances in July. This is something I've wanted to do for quite some time and I'm committed to doing it this year. I initially didn't really have any fears about doing this journey alone. It's only the last section. But, after reading scary stories about bed bugs and listening to the concerns of my dear friends and family, I've looked into a few different tours that I could take vs. doing it all by myself. It wouldn't be the same experience I'm sure, but would ensure that I would be surrounded by others in the event of an unlikely emergency or difficult situation. I would also have the comfort of knowing that I'm going to sleep in a halfway decent place each night. Since this forum is a place to connect with new and experienced Camino hikers, what are your thoughts on traveling alone vs. with a tour group?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well i'm doing it alone from SJPdP. I haven't done it before but I haven't heard many scary stories, it seems like mainly nice people being introspective on the Camino.

You can do it alone and still stay in sleep in the halfway decent places as you walk and it will cost you a fraction of what a tour group will charge. The tour companies cannot guarantee a bed bug free Camino either and as rometimed said I havent heard any scary stories either.
Whatever you decide have a great Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can do it alone and still stay in sleep in the halfway decent places as you walk and it will cost you a fraction of what a tour group will charge. The tour companies cannot guarantee a bed bug free Camino either and as rometimed said I havent heard any scary stories either.
I absolutely agree with Wayfarer. I got bitten by bedbugs in a lovely Santiago hotel, not in municipal albergues. Not only that, but you will find that often the places the operators take you to are the same places you would go to on your own - but charge you a hefty premium for the privilege of having identified the only joint in town ;0) Lastly, if you are doing the last 100km, the last thing you will be is alone.

If you want to ensure you only end up in half-decent places, start looking at reviews of albergues on line, guidebooks or the flyer for the Red of albergues, a list of albergues that are supposed to meet a certain standard, and make reservations there. Shouldn't take you too long since you will only be walking for 4-6 days.

Thanks for the reply! One more question…could you potentially be in a situation where you pass up a place to stay because you want to walk more and then realize the next place is miles and miles away? Or, are there many albergues, making it easy to find a place to rest for the night?

Thanks for the reply! One more question…could you potentially be in a situation where you pass up a place to stay because you want to walk more and then realize the next place is miles and miles away? Or, are there many albergues, making it easy to find a place to rest for the night?
Not in the last 100km. Take a look at any online guide, you will see how many albergues there are and where they are. Try this one for example: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/frances/. The etapa between Saria and Portomarin lists 23 options. The next stage 18. Palas Rei to Arzua has 27 ... And that's not counting B&Bs, pensiones, casa rurales, etc.

And paper guidebook will give you the same information. All you need to do is decide what you want to do the following day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In July, the last 100 km, there will be hundreds of walkers. Actually, the really difficult thing will be having a moment of solitude.
It is not a dangerous or extreme walk. No cliffs, marshes or mountain crosses. And It is clearly signposted.
Spain is a modern country, with all the required services.
It is peak season, so you can weigh yourself your options: walking free, as far as you like, or having the peace of mind of a reserved lodging.
Buen camino!

Choose whatever you feel comfortable with but as all the others said, you can do it on your own, it isn't a wild trek in the middle of nowhere. As for bed bugs... I stay in a lovely hotel in Santiago when I arrive and yes, on Camino nb 2, there were bed bugs and I was badly bitten. It has nothing to do with the simplicity of the albergue or the price you pay for a 'deluxe' hotel... I just hope it wasn't me who brought them but who knows? Someone had!
Whatever you decide, buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Having booked accommodation is the only rationale for using a tour company for a walk from Sarria imo - and it is quite unnecessary when it is so easy to do it yourself. Albergues are not the only choices as pointed out above - casa rurals are my suggestion if you want something a bit special.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Terillp, may I add. You are not alone in feeling this anxiety. I prefer to call it trepidation ;0)

I find there is such a disconnect between what we imagine the Camino will be and what it is. And I am also guilty of this disconnect, Camino, after Camino, after Camino! ;0) Every time I think it will be harder, longer, dingier, you name it than it really is. Ok, perhaps except SJPP to Roncesvalles over the mountain. ;0)

Not too long ago I read or heard something along the lines that the pleasure things or experiences give us is truly in the planing, in the yerning, not in the having or doing. I wish I had heard this when I was a child, because I find it to be so true and it would have put many things in perspective in my life.

And even now, I think I would have to admit I get more pleasure from planning my Caminos and imagining how they will be (including anxiety) than putting my foot in front of the other for the umptienth time and with 20 pounds on back ;0) and yet I sign up every year for 3 weeks on the Camino. I cannot imagine not spending hours reading my different guides and sites at bed time, determining which albergues are really subpar and I would like to avoid and what that could mean in terms of my etapas, as well as which albergues I truly want to experience, and how that may affect my etapas. Did that last night in fact for my upcoming Primitivo ;0) Oh, and have I mentioned how I'm always on the look out for the next best pole, shirt, pant (skirt apparently this year!), socks, soap, even if what I had on my previous walk worked just fine ;0)

You will be just fine no mater what you opt to do, but do know that you can do it alone, you will not be alone or in harm's way, and enjoy the planing.

I think the ONLY time I would consider walking with a group would be in July. At least you would be guaranteed a bed, bug free or not!
You will see other people all day every day - and other peregrinos will be quick to help you and to check to see if you need help, whether you're with a group or not.
Pilgrims usually have a guide book. These books tell you how far to the next town and whether that town has a albuergues, hostels, hotels, bars, cafes, etc and how many of them it has. If you don't have a guide book the person walking near you does.

I have also done it both ways.

In 2013 I did the last 100k with a service that set up my itinerary and booked my rooms, as well as carried my bag from place to place.
It went so well that I ended up going on to Finisterre with the same company.

Last year I just happened to be in Europe with two free weeks and I did Ponferrado to Santiago on my own.
I booked some rooms in advance
And some were walk-ins.

Both adventures were amazing.
Both were different, but the tour company allowed me to finish the Camino when I thought I couldn't and gave me the confidence to try it on my own.

Edited to add: this was a tour company who arranged my trip, but I was not with a group, I walked and stayed alone. (Well, as alone as one can be on the Camino)

Good luck with your choice.
Buen Camino

Cheryl.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have also done it both ways.

In 2013 I did the last 100k with a service
add: this was a tour company who
Buen Camino

Cheryl.

good point Cheryl same for me got my training wheels with a tour company.
sienna to santiago

then all my walks since have been solo or with friends

Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to write such thoughtful and helpful replies! This information helps me out a lot. One thing I know for sure is that I'm doing it this July with or without a group. I'm just waiting for flights to come down a bit in price and then it's a go. I'll make a game time decision on whether or not to book the tour. If I can get airfare at a somewhat reasonable price I may just book the tour to get started with "training wheels" and then choose to do it fancy free in the future. Thanks again to you all!

Teri, I would be very cautious waiting for prices to drop. July is high season, and flights will get sold very quickly. Wouldn't want to see you price yourself out of a flight because you hoped for a bargain. The ticket I booked 5 weeks ago for 750$ is already 875$.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't know if I would go as part of a group tour, I've passed these groups or sat drinking wine and seen the nasty looks you get from pilgrims. :-/

The Camino is such a social experience that you should not feel any concern about being alone. Avoiding pre-booking allows you the freedom to adjust your schedule as you go in case your body needs a rest, or you feel like going farther than you thought, or you make friends you would like to hike with, etc. I just stayed in the albergues, but we met a couple friends who called ahead to hotels each morning once they knew where they wanted to be.

OMG. I just bought my plane ticket! Looks like I'm doing this thing solo. I'm excited but scared. I've never traveled by myself before but figured if there ever was a trip to experience alone this would be it. My family thinks I'm crazy. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I guess I should get a guide book now...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
OMG. I just bought my plane ticket! Looks like I'm doing this thing solo. I'm excited but scared. I've never traveled by myself before but figured if there ever was a trip to experience alone this would be it. My family thinks I'm crazy. Thanks again for all the help and advice. I guess I should get a guide book now...
Engage your family, so your dear ones will feel they are sharing your adventure. For instance, put your stages on a wall, with pretty pics for every stop, and a little cardboard pilgrim who moves along the way, as you report your progress in the walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi terillp -

If you go by yourself you can walk to your own pace - not the pace of others - this is SO important to avoid injury.

I walked with a small group from Leon to Santiago in 2012 and although the experience was a wonderful one and I had trained for many months, keeping up with the group and walking to their pace - not mine - meant that I injured myself. Walking the last few days of 30+kms into Santiago, I started to feel something was really wrong with my leg. I thought it was a muscular issue and walked into Santiago in quite a bit of pain, but a bone scan back in Sydney found that it was a Grade 4 stress fracture in the left femur. With the wisdom of hindsight, (and of so much research which has really opened up the world of the Camino since), I would have walked from Leon at my own pace, taken a lot more rest breaks and had a couple of rest days.

Have a wonderful Camino - make the most of every moment and take joy in every step -

Cheers - Jenny

I am planning on walking the last 100 km of the Camino Frances in July. This is something I've wanted to do for quite some time and I'm committed to doing it this year. I initially didn't really have any fears about doing this journey alone. It's only the last section. But, after reading scary stories about bed bugs and listening to the concerns of my dear friends and family, I've looked into a few different tours that I could take vs. doing it all by myself. It wouldn't be the same experience I'm sure, but would ensure that I would be surrounded by others in the event of an unlikely emergency or difficult situation. I would also have the comfort of knowing that I'm going to sleep in a halfway decent place each night. Since this forum is a place to connect with new and experienced Camino hikers, what are your thoughts on traveling alone vs. with a tour group?
Depends on how comfortable you are at finding and/or booking your own places. Tour groups also allow shuttling to nice places near (but off) the Camino. However, there are private rooms with private bathrooms across Galicia that you will literally walk by. Each Camino is a different experience, neither better nor worse, as there is no single or 'right' way to find and walk your Camino.
Buen Camino!

Do it yourself and as Kanga said, stay in Casa Rurals, They are a great experience plus they also serve the best food on the Camino Frances. If you are worried about finding somewhere to stay then pre book all the way to Santiago. You don't have to stay in an albergue to have a true Camino experience. You will only walk alone if you choose too, the Camino Frances was the most social holiday I have ever been on.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Let it be your Camino and not the tour groups.
You will save yourself money also by organising it yourself.
You won't regret it.

I did it alone, and it was fantastic. I was worried about how I would go meeting people and making friends, and from the very first day it wasn't a problem. I understand your fears - I had the same fears before I left - but don't be afraid. You'll be fine.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back