• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk the Portuguese or Francés in terms of safety (solo female)?

walkingElli

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugese
I am a woman, mid-twenty and have walked the Camino Francése in December 2014. I walked with 3 friends and it was an amazing experience.
Now I have about 3.5 weeks of time starting mid- April and want to do my first solo hiking trip. Naturally, the Camino is calling me back and I am trying to figure out if I should walk parts of the Francése again or try the Portugése from Porto onwards to Finesterre. A big factor in this decision is personal safety.

I’ve never traveled by myself before and am excited, but also a bit nervous to do so. I have had experiences of harassment before and would really like to feel as safe as possible during this trip.

When researching for the Camino Portugése on this and other forums, I got the impression that female pilgrims did not always feel safe and that there have been a few reports of sexual harassment.

I have heard less about these kind of incidents on the Camino Francése, probably because it is also busier than the Portuguése and you rarely walk far away from others.

Is this just an impression that I got or can others share it? Any advice in my decision process?

I am curious to try the Portugése, because I haven’t walked it before, but also loved the Francése and would be happy to walk it again, particularly if it feels safer.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi
I did the CP from Lisbon in three sections solo in my mid30s, after doing the CF solo. There have been very serious issues at edge of Lisbon in a specific area, and fewer pilgrims do walk Lisbon to Porto However, north of Porto there are many more pilgrims on route. Apart from that section leaving Lisbon I felt reasonably safe walking the CP. And most fellow pilgrims will let someone tag along ( even if they don't want a chatting companion) if you are feeling a little nervy at some point.
No one can make any guarantees, as I had two incidents on CF but none on CP or Via Francigena. I really wish this wasn't an issue on the camino or life in general.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am a woman, mid-twenty and have walked the Camino Francése in December 2014. I walked with 3 friends and it was an amazing experience.
Now I have about 3.5 weeks of time starting mid- April and want to do my first solo hiking trip. Naturally, the Camino is calling me back and I am trying to figure out if I should walk parts of the Francése again or try the Portugése from Porto onwards to Finesterre. A big factor in this decision is personal safety.

I’ve never traveled by myself before and am excited, but also a bit nervous to do so. I have had experiences of harassment before and would really like to feel as safe as possible during this trip.

When researching for the Camino Portugése on this and other forums, I got the impression that female pilgrims did not always feel safe and that there have been a few reports of sexual harassment.

I have heard less about these kind of incidents on the Camino Francése, probably because it is also busier than the Portuguése and you rarely walk far away from others.

Is this just an impression that I got or can others share it? Any advice in my decision process?

I am curious to try the Portugése, because I haven’t walked it before, but also loved the Francése and would be happy to walk it again, particularly if it feels safer.
Probably best to just tune into the female responses as it’s pretty much impossible for the other 50% of us to put ourselves in your place.

There have been incidents reported over the years, some of them very distressing for those involved, and some tales of strong women who didn’t let the matter drop.

In terms of the numbers affected, I think it’s a very small proportion of peregrinas - but that’s not to trivialise the matter.

If you’re concerned, perhaps the busier route at a busier time of year?

Things can happen, in your own living environment, the Camino or anywhere. No one can guarantee you that nothing will happen. But if something happens, report it at all times.

You can use the AlertCops app,

AlertCops is a smartphone application that is available for Android and iPhone. It was created by the Spanish law enforcement authorities to provide an additional platform for Spanish citizens and for tourists in Spain to contact the emergencies services to ask for help or to report incidents such as physical aggression or theft and other concerns: https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/

or dial 112 the alarm number.

Wish you a Buen Camino. 🙏🏻

I've personally experienced some minor ( and not so minor ) uneasiness on all of the Caminos that I've walked. I acknowledge this can happen anywhere in the world. I feel the infrastructure on the CF is far more likely to give you that sense of security as there are far more pilgrims and places to stop and seek help. If you're questioning it now, you may be looking over your shoulder the entire trek...maybe best to go where you would be less isolated when walking alone?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the CF last year & will be walking the CP this September so I can't give you advice from experience.
I can, however, give you a few tips as a female travelling alone. Always be aware of your surroundings, keep alert, follow your instincts, walk away from trouble and a piece of advice I was given twenty years ago wear a wedding ring. I never take my wedding ring off so I don't know if it works but the thinking behind it is that your husband may be just out of sight or around the corner and by the time the person who intends you harm realises they are not you have moved a good distance away.
Whichever Camino you chose enjoy.

I do not say this to be harsh but to be realistic, and this applies to everyone, and may / may not apply to the Poster. I leave this for all to consider.

If personal confidence / comfort level is lacking, it is not wise to walk alone. Anguish for self safety should never be a part of walking the Camino. When one is approached, either a feeling of welcome is extended, or fear, even when there is no reason for fear to be present. Those who know how, can see which is present and some of those will take advantage.

This type of limitation will negatively effect the enjoyment of each day's walking. So, walking, in itself seems unadvised.

But take heart. One thing that is essential to remember is that, "The Camino provides." Remember, what is needed can be found. Meet others with a welcoming heart, keeping a clear eye open for the unexpected and you will never be taken by surprise. If this can be done, one day at a time, the Camino experience will become much more than had been anticipated. Mastery of anything is achieved by doing it 10,000 times. So, if never started, it can never be accomplished. Start today.

Hello,
I have just returned from walking Porto to Santiago, Coastal. I was the oldest Peregrina by many decades, but almost all the young women I met were walking alone or had started out alone. Not one of them expressed concern.
Personally my biggest hazards were falling or getting into and out of that 'taxi-boat'.
I always say that I could encounter an incident of concern hiking at home in Scotland just as easily as in Spain or Portugal.
Buen Camino whatever you decide.
Ena

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've personally experienced some minor ( and not so minor ) uneasiness on all of the Caminos that I've walked. I acknowledge this can happen anywhere in the world. I feel the infrastructure on the CF is far more likely to give you that sense of security as there are far more pilgrims and places to stop and seek help. If you're questioning it now, you may be looking over your shoulder the entire trek...maybe best to go where you would be less isolated when walking alone?
I like this advise. Personally, I have only walked on the Frances, so I can't comment on other Camino routes. While it is true that it is possible for men (or anyone) to make you feel uncomfortable anywhere you go, I found the Frances route to pretty safe and I am not aware of any women having any serious issues while I was there.

That isn't to say I didn't sit at a table with a couple older men relentlessly teasing a younger woman trying to set her up with one of many eligible bachelors on the trail. But, I as the older woman at the table, did make sure to monitor the situation and provided support to her as needed. And really - that is the vibe I got all along the Camino Frances - we were all looking out for each other, and there was always someone willing to step up to assist - whatever the situation was (all types of situations - not just women feeling uncomfortable).

And I agree with the suggestion that perhaps for your first SOLO hike - you may want to stick to a trail where you are sure to be less isolated. I would go one step further to say that perhaps, you may even want to stick to a route you are already familiar with. Or maybe you are ready to make that jump of independence to a new adventure - and if so - that is fine too! Whichever route you choose - do your best not to be "looking over your shoulder the entire trek". When I say this, I don't mean to give up being alert of your surroundings. We must ALWAYS be aware of our surroundings. Just be mindful of how you do it.

With this - I am reminded of the time I took my mom to Mexico. She was visiting me in Arizona, and I decided to walk across the border with her and my kids. For whatever reason - my mom was walking and clutching her purse to her chest and looking around in a way where it was obvious she was scared. Nothing subtle about her physical demeanor at all. I to this day have no idea what exactly was scaring her - other than it simply being the first time she crossed any border. But she was scared and it showed. If she had been alone, I think that if anyone WAS out to target a victim for robbery or other misdeeds - they would have immediately tuned in to her. She made herself an easy target. I say this simply to remind others - be aware of your surroundings, be alert and vigilant, but also do your best to be and appear confident. And if you need to, find groups that you can walk near or with as feel your way around a solo hike. You have got this!

AlertCops is a smartphone application that is available for Android and iPhone. It was created by the Spanish law enforcement authorities to provide an additional platform for Spanish citizens and for tourists in Spain to contact the emergencies services to ask for help or to report incidents such as physical aggression or theft and other concerns: https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/
By all means, if you are walking or traveling in Spain, download "Alert Cops" to your smartphone. It will even give responders your location if you allow the app to have location data. Additionally, calling "112" for emergency help. They do have English speakers if necessary.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked both the Frances and Portuguese and from a personal perspective have never felt intimidated on either, I am a male aged 61.
When I walked the Portugues in 2018, I met up with many solo female hikers of your age and younger and not one of them had any stories of feeling intimidation. Perhaps they were lucky....!
On the whole, the Portugues is much quieter so perhaps the risk for you is greater.
I think as long as you are sensible, you should be fine.
It's been said earlier in this thread, look for advice from females who have undertaken what you intend doing.
Whatever, just enjoy it.

Idem for me.

A personal rule : always follow your gut feeling. If something does not feel right for you, try to get out of the situation/ place even if there is no direct danger/confrontation.

And yes install Alert Cops, get 112 on speed dial .

When I walked the Portugues I met a fellow pilgrim ( also female ) on the second day. We walked apart during the day but met in the evenings in the albergue/ pension and we made some arrangements to let each other know where we were etc.

I have walked several Caminos, and both the Portuguese and Frances. Just north of Porto on the central route, (a couple days out) is the only time someone has tried to make me the victim of an actual physical crime, assault mugging etc. Mind you, I am a male over 6' tall and weigh over 200 lbs. It was an unsuccessful attempt and didn't end well for him (he was much smaller and weaker). I was more surprised than anything when he came out of nowhere and tried it. Was surreal. No, I didn't report it.
Anyway, not saying that's typical on that route but it did happen to me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi Elli
I cannot comment on the sexual harassment aspect being a man but I walked Camino da Costa from Porto and met many women walking alone as well as in groups and the subject never came up in any conversations and I am sure if it had been a problem, it would have done. That said I have walked four times since 2013 and have only become aware of this problem in the last couple of years. Perhaps it has grown because less pilgrims are on the road and may recede as more people come as things open up. I have always been a lone walker but never spent that much time alone if you understand what I mean. I realise this is not much comfort but I hope it helps a little.
Buen Camino
Vince

Advice all good. Although I have generally walked with my husband, I have walked many days alone on the CF, CP and VDLP. Always followed my gut, did not take the less traveled routes but noted with both CP and VDLP, were very few walkers due to time of year (late Nov CP; early March VDLP). I walked a bit faster and always hyper aware of surroundings if I sensed something felt off. Keeping within calling/sight distance of other walkers even if you prefer to walk alone is not a bad idea in more remote areas.
Overall, I’d choose and feel comfortable solo on any Camino in Spain or Portugal over hiking 10 miles alone on many trails in US. The Camino is a completely different vibe—very special and incredibly safe. Over half the hikers on the Camino are women and many are alone.
Stay in the moment, be aware and enjoy the experience.
Buen Camino!

I've personally experienced some minor ( and not so minor ) uneasiness on all of the Caminos that I've walked. I acknowledge this can happen anywhere in the world. I feel the infrastructure on the CF is far more likely to give you that sense of security as there are far more pilgrims and places to stop and seek help.
I too would highly recommend the AlertCops app. I activate it before every camino. It only works in Spain. I do not know or have heard of a similar app in Portugal.
Maybe you would feel a little more secure on the CF but I can't say of course.
I have read on the forum about some pretty seedy characters on the CP. It is not alot but even once is way to much.
In 2017 I walked with a good friend. We met another Irish man and between us we were the fathers of 6 daughters. We met a young woman who was very nervous about this one man who we knew who seemed to possibly have an unhealthy interest in this woman. She walked with us for a couple of days. One night she told us she wanted to push ahead and could we please try to delay this guy from walking with her. She left very early from the albergue the next morning. We were able to get this guy to start walking with us about 4 hours later and to stop very early in the day. We walked only 10 or so kilometers and she walked over 30 that day. The next day we started late and finished early with him to give her plenty of distance.
Probably best to just tune into the female responses as it’s pretty much impossible for the other 50% of us to put ourselves in your place.
I would agree with this except for one caveat from a dad's point of view.
My advice would be that the Camino is safe. But as the father of the most wonderful , smartest and most beautiful women on earth if you are nervous there are lots of dads out there that are the father's of the most wonderful, smartest and most beautiful women on earth. If you are even slightly nervous I know each and every one of them would be there to walk with you. In our eyes we see our own children in you. If you are alone and you get that feeling stop and wait for others or even go back. Your instincts will help guide you. You are not alone, Pilgrims are there to help you, and for us dads we are dads of our beautiful girls before we are pilgrims. To all the women on Camino we are there for you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At age 27, I walked the CF solo and the CP from Lisbon in 2019. CF was walked at peak season, Aug-Sept. CP was walked at the tail end of the season, Oct- Nov. My guess is that in comparison, there will be fewer pilgrims on either path this April, given persistent low travel rates, and still fewer on the CP from Porto because it is less popular. I agree, there's safety in numbers.

From Porto onward, I remember the infrustructure being comparable to the CF. There were plently more albergues and towns to pass through along the way. And more walking pilgrims. I would not be any more concerned walking the CP from Porto than I would walking on the CF. But, if you want to err on the side of excessive caution for more peace of mind, the CF would be a better choice, as you're pretty much guaranteed to have more of a pilgrim safety net.

One other bit of advice/thing to consider: Yes, walking from Porto would give you a brand new walk, going through different towns and a different country. But also, walking the Frances again will be new. 2014 was a very long time ago, and I doubt you really memorized as much of that walk and its surroundings as you think you did. If you walk the CF again, the path will be probably less familiar than you think! You'll notice more & different things. And, you can make a point to stay in different cities and towns than you did in 2014 (dig out that old pilgrim passport and make sure not to repeat any town/albergue!). And you're much older now. And you're walking really, really alone, and won't have the insulation of 3 trustred friends at your side. You'll be forced to engage more with stranger pilgrims around you. YOU are different. You will feel different. Your purpose for walking will be different. So, all of these factors will make for a fresh walk, even if you're on the "same" literal dirt CF path you walked in 2014. I don't think you'll be lacking newness or the excitement of a great pilgrimage if you walk the CF again.

Walked the Frances some years ago with my daughter and was advised to wear a whistle around our neck. Blowing it alerts others to come running and scares off potential offenders. Never had to use it but just a thought for you.

Walked the Frances some years ago with my daughter and was advised to wear a whistle around our neck. Blowing it alerts others to come running and scares off potential offenders. Never had to use it but just a thought for you.
An alternate to this may already be built into some backpacks - mine has a whistle built into the chest strap. Of course - always good to test them out to be sure they actually work!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Several years ago there was a problem out of lisbon for female walkers but not recently. Like everywhere in the world i guess u just have to be prudent and alert.

Expect to see men expose themselves on the Portuguese, especially while you are in Portugal. Stay on the Frances.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Of course this is your personal opinion.
To the OP and future Portugues walkers : please rest assured.
Not everyone loved the crowded Frances.
This is not a personal experience but a real one when I walked the Port in '17. I've never experienced this on two walks on the Frances and one on the Ingles.

Of course this is your personal opinion.
To the OP and future Portugues walkers : please rest assured.
Not everyone loved the crowded Frances.
Not a personal opinion - I've seen multiple posts of experiences on this very forum.

Not a personal opinion - I've seen multiple posts of experiences on this very forum.

And I walked Portugues and Frances and much lesser crowded Caminos like Ingles, Vasco Interior and Ruta del Ebro. And I think differently.
Being vigilant is ok but fearmongering is not.

Buen Camino to you. I am out of this discussion.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Expect to see men expose themselves on the Portuguese, especially while you are in Portugal. Stay on the Frances.
I had exactly the opposite, twice on the Frances, and none on the CP. There are no guarantees on any route or anywhere.

This is not a personal experience but a real one when I walked the Port in '17. I've never experienced this on two walks on the Frances and one on the Ingles.

I was going to delete these posts but then thought that a response would be better.

To my knowledge there is no statistical data available comparing camino incidents, but there are overall country crime comparisons. Look at the data and decide for yourself.

I have had 6-8 (I can’t remember the exact number) of incidents with men flashing, and every one of them was on the Francés. None on my several times on the Portugués. Those are my anecdotes, yours will likely be different.

I don’t think we do anyone a service by spreading fear about walking alone on any camino. It’s a matter of personal choice and personal comfort level. I am a committed solo walker and I know there are risks of all types when I walk alone on a camino. But for me the risk/reward ration comes out strongly in favor of walking alone. Everyone should do their own assessment and make their own decision.

I have walked both solo I never got scared once. French Camino you are hardly ever alone.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The only times I have ever been scared on a camino:

(1) when I got myself into a high speed railway corridor and (only because I refused to go back) had to walk a few kilometres right beside the tracks before I came to a platform where I could scramble up
(2) when I was caught in the mountains in freezing wind/sleet/snow wearing inadequate clothing
(3) when a person in the bunk above me in an Albergue had the night terrors and started screaming
(4) having to walk across high bridges (this always scares me, unless it is very wide and I can't see over the edge)
(5) jumping out of my skin when dogs suddenly and unexpectedly start barking as I go past (usually safely behind a fence, or tied up)
(6) scrambling down the rolling pebbles of the Alto de Perdon the first time (no longer, now I'm used to it)
(7) misplacing my passport.

I have had uncomfortable other moments, but none I would call scary.

On multiple Caminos, I don't think I have ever been confronted with someone exposing themselves. It has happened here, at home in Australia.

Thank you so much for all your advice and support!

I am overwhelmed by the kindness of this community, and can't believe I got 30 thoughtful answers within 48 hours. This has been extremely helpful in my decision making process, and has made me so excited to start my Camino soon.

I am not sure if I will be able to answer to all replies, but I am very thankful for all of them!

I like this advise. Personally, I have only walked on the Frances, so I can't comment on other Camino routes. While it is true that it is possible for men (or anyone) to make you feel uncomfortable anywhere you go, I found the Frances route to pretty safe and I am not aware of any women having any serious issues while I was there.

That isn't to say I didn't sit at a table with a couple older men relentlessly teasing a younger woman trying to set her up with one of many eligible bachelors on the trail. But, I as the older woman at the table, did make sure to monitor the situation and provided support to her as needed. And really - that is the vibe I got all along the Camino Frances - we were all looking out for each other, and there was always someone willing to step up to assist - whatever the situation was (all types of situations - not just women feeling uncomfortable).

And I agree with the suggestion that perhaps for your first SOLO hike - you may want to stick to a trail where you are sure to be less isolated. I would go one step further to say that perhaps, you may even want to stick to a route you are already familiar with. Or maybe you are ready to make that jump of independence to a new adventure - and if so - that is fine too! Whichever route you choose - do your best not to be "looking over your shoulder the entire trek". When I say this, I don't mean to give up being alert of your surroundings. We must ALWAYS be aware of our surroundings. Just be mindful of how you do it.

With this - I am reminded of the time I took my mom to Mexico. She was visiting me in Arizona, and I decided to walk across the border with her and my kids. For whatever reason - my mom was walking and clutching her purse to her chest and looking around in a way where it was obvious she was scared. Nothing subtle about her physical demeanor at all. I to this day have no idea what exactly was scaring her - other than it simply being the first time she crossed any border. But she was scared and it showed. If she had been alone, I think that if anyone WAS out to target a victim for robbery or other misdeeds - they would have immediately tuned in to her. She made herself an easy target. I say this simply to remind others - be aware of your surroundings, be alert and vigilant, but also do your best to be and appear confident. And if you need to, find groups that you can walk near or with as feel your way around a solo hike. You have got this!
At age 27, I walked the CF solo and the CP from Lisbon in 2019. CF was walked at peak season, Aug-Sept. CP was walked at the tail end of the season, Oct- Nov. My guess is that in comparison, there will be fewer pilgrims on either path this April, given persistent low travel rates, and still fewer on the CP from Porto because it is less popular. I agree, there's safety in numbers.

From Porto onward, I remember the infrustructure being comparable to the CF. There were plently more albergues and towns to pass through along the way. And more walking pilgrims. I would not be any more concerned walking the CP from Porto than I would walking on the CF. But, if you want to err on the side of excessive caution for more peace of mind, the CF would be a better choice, as you're pretty much guaranteed to have more of a pilgrim safety net.

One other bit of advice/thing to consider: Yes, walking from Porto would give you a brand new walk, going through different towns and a different country. But also, walking the Frances again will be new. 2014 was a very long time ago, and I doubt you really memorized as much of that walk and its surroundings as you think you did. If you walk the CF again, the path will be probably less familiar than you think! You'll notice more & different things. And, you can make a point to stay in different cities and towns than you did in 2014 (dig out that old pilgrim passport and make sure not to repeat any town/albergue!). And you're much older now. And you're walking really, really alone, and won't have the insulation of 3 trustred friends at your side. You'll be forced to engage more with stranger pilgrims around you. YOU are different. You will feel different. Your purpose for walking will be different. So, all of these factors will make for a fresh walk, even if you're on the "same" literal dirt CF path you walked in 2014. I don't think you'll be lacking newness or the excitement of a great pilgrimage if you walk the CF again.
Thank you very much for these 3 responses, which have been very helpful in my decision-process. What resonated strongly with me is that there might be a difference of how safe you actually are and the feeling of safety. While it sounds like I would probably be just as safe on the CF as on the CP from Porto onwards, I think the feeling of safety would probably be stronger for me personally on the CF. While I wish I was a fearless badass up for any adventure, no matter what, I know that I will enjoy myself a lot more if I feel as safe as possible and don't look over my shoulder all the time. My hope is that my first solo trip will also make me more confident, stronger and less worried about adventures to come.
I also really appreciate the thought, that even by doing the CF again, it won't feel like the "same" camino. I am sure the route and I have changed a lot. Also thinking about seeing the "same" landscapes that are engraved in my head as personal happy places from long ago, is making me feel pure bliss.

So all in all, I am strongly leaning towards doing the CF again as my first solo trip and tackling many more solo adventures like the CP in future.

Do check out the posts in this earlier thread
re: Walking Solo.

Stay aware wherever/however you walk.
Thank you very much, this has been really helpful.

I have summarized the advice I have gotten in this and the above mentioned thread. Hopefully it will also be helpful for others.

On my to-do list:

• Get the AlertCops App. (Thank you for the tip Peter Fransicus ,Phil W and It56ny)
  • Get myself a fake wedding ring. (Thank you muddy-mama for that tip- Extra bonus: Gives me a chance to freak out and prank my friends before I leave :-D)
  • Get a whistle and keep it around my neck, so I can alert others (Thank you, Nan)

General advice I want to remember
  • Trust your gut
  • Walking by yourself is awesome and can makes you feel stronger
  • Try not to be fearful and trust the camino
  • If you feel weird, take out your hiking sticks and in worst case walk back until you meet fellow pilgrims
  • Keep in calling/sight distance of other pilgrims on more secluded routes (Thank you, Crcwalks)
  • You can make arrangements with other pilgrims to check in on each other and meet in the evenings even if you walk alone during the day (Thank you, SabineP)
  • Last but not least, is referring to the post below:
I too would highly recommend the AlertCops app. I activate it before every camino. It only works in Spain. I do not know or have heard of a similar app in Portugal.
Maybe you would feel a little more secure on the CF but I can't say of course.
I have read on the forum about some pretty seedy characters on the CP. It is not alot but even once is way to much.
In 2017 I walked with a good friend. We met another Irish man and between us we were the fathers of 6 daughters. We met a young woman who was very nervous about this one man who we knew who seemed to possibly have an unhealthy interest in this woman. She walked with us for a couple of days. One night she told us she wanted to push ahead and could we please try to delay this guy from walking with her. She left very early from the albergue the next morning. We were able to get this guy to start walking with us about 4 hours later and to stop very early in the day. We walked only 10 or so kilometers and she walked over 30 that day. The next day we started late and finished early with him to give her plenty of distance.

My advice would be that the Camino is safe. But as the father of the most wonderful , smartest and most beautiful women on earth if you are nervous there are lots of dads out there that are the father's of the most wonderful, smartest and most beautiful women on earth. If you are even slightly nervous I know each and every one of them would be there to walk with you. In our eyes we see our own children in you. If you are alone and you get that feeling stop and wait for others or even go back. Your instincts will help guide you. You are not alone, Pilgrims are there to help you, and for us dads we are dads of our beautiful girls before we are pilgrims. To all the women on Camino we are there for you.
When you need help or feel uneasy, approach other pilgrims, especially if they are dads of the most wonderful, smartest and most beautiful women on earth. Thank you so much for this wonderful post, your amazing dad energy, and sharing that energy and protectiveness to help others along the way. This was truly uplifting and put a smile on my face.

@It56ny: I agree with you. Not only because I'm the dad of three wonderful grown daughters but also because I'm a fellow pilgrim and simply because I care.

Phil

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Being vigilant is ok but fearmongering is not.
I agree. Fear of crime and other bad things can keep people from enjoying life or even leaving their homes for anything other than necessities. Fear can affect where we choose to live and where we choose to travel. Vigilance is different from a fear that keeps people from enjoying an experience.

How do we get that fear? Good question. I believe that it can come from hearing about bad events, from others telling us that "it's too dangerous" to walk the Camino alone or "you're a woman" and shouldn't be traveling or walking alone. Personally, I have had family members tell me it was too dangerous to travel in Europe (this was in 2016 before my 1st Camino) because of the terrorist events occurring there. Do you need to argue or disagree with these folks, probably not worth it unless they are close family members. Then you might want to explain "Alert Cops" and "112" and the pilgrimage community on the Camino.

Be vigilant! and Buen Camino!

Phil

My hope is that my first solo trip will also make me more confident, stronger and less worried about adventures to come.
Glad we were able to help! And to the statement above: I am willing to bet that will be the case! Good luck, and enjoy!

Sorry you have experienced this! I have done 2 sections on the Portuguese and never had this or had even felt remotely afraid/harassed/threatened as a solo female.

I have just come back from walking the Portuguese Camino, as a sole female. I agree with some other people that things can happen to you, no matter where you are in the world, however in both the Camino Frances and a Camino Portugese I have never felt any concern as a single female. It is important to always stay alert and to be aware of your surroundings, like you would anywhere, but I would not say there is any greater risk on the Camino than anywhere else. I have to say, I walked in March and I was a little bit concerned about the fact that the road will be quiet, however it was fairly quiet but still I felt safe. Buen Camino!

How do you feel about walking alone in your own country?
The Camino won’t be any different, only probably safer. (Probably). 🙂

. I am a committed solo walker and I know there are risks of all types when I walk alone on a camino. But for me the risk/reward ration comes out strongly in favor of walking alone. Everyone should do their own assessment and make their own decision.
i agree and it applies everywhere, even at home, not just on a Camino. 🙂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dear @walkingElli, I love your to-do list! You’ve taken great advantage of all the experienced forum members here.
I’ve walked the Porto to Santiago (Coastal), the Le Puy, and the Frances/Baztan. I did not walk alone, but frequently was by myself. I did not find the area north of Porto dangerous. At all.
Please keep in mind that the alert cop app is only for Spain.
Enjoy and Bom caminho~!!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back