• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk to Lourdes then Santiago: Or?

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF: 2001, 02, 04, 14. Ourense to Santiago 2019.
Hello,

A few weeks ago I dreamt about Saint Bernadette twice. Never in my life have I dreamt about a Saint.

As an early Episcopalian I didn’t know who she was. Sorry, but never investigated Lourdes. After my research I felt quite a strong desire to make a pilgrimage there.

Next year I wish to either walk to Lourdes from somewhere, taking all suggestions, then on to Santiago.

Or, start in Lourdes and walk to Santiago.

I am in training. By leave date April/May 2020, I pray to manage at least 15-20 kilometers daily.

On CF, I know there’s sufficient infrastructure for those distances.

However, Lourdes to SJPP or Lourdes to Puente de la Reina will there there be enough lodging for those distances? Is the lodging albergues or gites. If gites what’s the outlay for a bed.

Because, this time I wish to enter Santiago on a route other CF after Ponferrada I wish to walk the Camino Invierno. I have same lodging distance questions as Lourdes to SJPP or PdlR.

All suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, sound like Lourdes and the Saint are calling, possibly Mary too ---

Really, I'd suggest starting in Lourdes, then go via SJPP onto the Francès.

The Aragonès is great, but Oloron up to the Somport can be a bit of a drag.

The lodgings between Lourdes and SJPP are fine, though IIRC some of them can be a little far from each other. Otherwise, that way is shorter than via the Somport and Jaca etc.

BTW the Santiago Pilgrim's Hostel in Lourdes is one of the very best on the Camino, plus because you're there doing two pilgrimages (Lourdes and Santiago) you get to stay there two nights not just one.

Hi NYC,

I don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but I do have some info for you.
From Lourdes there are 2 ways to get to the CF:
1: Lourdes - St. Jean: 7 days. Continue on the CF. St. Jean to Puente la Reina: 4 days. Total: 11 days.
2: Lourdes - Somport: 6 days. Continue on the Camino Aragones (joining the CF at Puente la Reina).

1:
From Lourdes you can walk along the Camino Piamonte to St. Jean in 7 days:
Stages 19 to 25.

Lourdes to Oloron Sainte Marie: albergues.
Oloron Sainte Marie to St. Jean: 3x gites, albergues in St. Jean.

Lourdes - St. Jean: 7 days / St. Jean to Puente la Reina: 4 days / Total: 11 days.

2:
Stages 19, 20 an 21 take you to Oloron Sainte Marie in 3 days.
From there: the Camino de Arles takes you to Somport in 3 days (stages 31, 32, 33): https://www.gronze.com/etapa/oloron-sainte-marie/sarrance
From Somport: follow the Camino Aragones for 6 days, before joining the CF at Puente la Reina: https://www.gronze.com/camino-aragones

There are albergues all the way from Lourdes - Oloron Sainte Marie - Somport - Puente la Reina.

Lourdes - Oloren Sainte Marie: 3 days / Oloron Sainte Marie - Somport: 3 days / Somport - Puente la Reina: 6 days / Total: 12 days.

Hope this helps. Do check out Gronze.com !! It's a very rich source of information.

And: enjoy your Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow, buen camino, @nycwalking ! It's high time, however you go.
Here are some threads to consider:
Lourdes to SJPP (if you want to continue on the Frances):
(there are other threads, as well...these are just a doorway in...)
Or to Irun for the Norte or Vasco/Via de Bayona (which sounds a bit more adventurous):
Oh, and there is this:

You could cobble together any number of camino mixtas:
Lourdes - SJPP - Frances
Lourdes - SJPP - Irun (via the Voie de Nive/Voie Littorale) - Vasco/Via de Bayona - Frances - Invierno
Lourdes - SJPP - Irun (via the Voie de Nive/Voie Littorale) - Norte - Olvidado - Invierno
Lourdes - SJPP - Irun (via the Voie de Nive/Voie Littorale) - Norte - Primativo

Well...for sure the Invierno is a winner. Now all you have to do is just work backwards!
Happy planning, peregrina!

If you have walked the CF before, consider walking from Biarritz to Lourdes instead. I found that ENDING in Lourdes really added to our pilgrimage - I think the walk there really puts you into the right state of mind to appreciate that place.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have walked the CF before, consider walking from Biarritz to Lourdes instead. I found that ENDING in Lourdes really added to our pilgrimage - I think the walk there really puts you into the right state of mind to appreciate that place.

Um!

What is the signage like?

About how many days walking?

Albergues or gites?

Good signage, but occasionally confusing because of multiple hiking routes along that same route. You won’t get lost, but you may end up walking a less-direct route (but you’ll end up in the same destination!). There are several free online guides and maps, too.

It’s all France, so technically they are all gîtes. They vary from a bed in a room of the village priest to monasteries to modern guest houses. 15€ a night is typical.

As previous posts note, you can stay two nights in the Lourdes pilgrim house - one of the most enjoyable places I have stayed while walking (because of the hosts and evening meal).

Depending on your speed, 10-14 days total. What’s really neat is that you can walk directly from the Biarritz airport into Biarritz city, Bayonne, or onto the river path leading toward SJPdP, depending upon time of day and how tired you are after the flight.

I can only agree in principle -- as my first time there in 2005, I walked from home to Lourdes then on from Lourdes to Compostela (via SJPP).

Having said that, any pilgrimage to Lourdes is fine by whatever means, and whilst walking there is meaningful to us Santiago Pilgrims, it's not a necessary at all for that particular Pilgrimage.

It's fine either way.

BUT -- doing that **is** excellent from a Compostela pilgrimage point of view, as Lourdes has been part of the Piémont Way since long before the Apparitions, and in fact it was part of the Navarrese/Basque Way to Rome since before the tomb of St James was ever discovered -- Lourdes has a long and storied tradition of Pilgrimage dating back to the earliest centuries of Christianity.

It is a powerful crossroads of three Major Pilgrim Ways, including Lourdes itself, or four if you add Jerusalem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've walked from Lourdes to Jaca, then down the Aragones several years ago.
It's an incredibly beautiful walk.
However, I'd strongly suggest you make reservations for every stage in France possible.
Moissac is a good place to begin. Here is a link to my blog with lots of photos:

NYC, to make it a double pilgrimage I suggest that you walk at least a few days to Lourdes. I'm not familiar with the area though and so I have no suggestions for you on a good way to do that.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That’s the plan.

Trying to figure out logistics.
I am so happy for you, NYC! I know you have been patiently (or impatiently) waiting to go on a Camino again for a long time. These peeps are all so awesome with their great advise and helpful links. Just reading all of the replieis made my head spin...you have much to sort through. Happy planning my friend! 💕

That’s the plan.

Trying to figure out logistics.

I guess you could do Toulouse to Maubourguet on the Arles Way, then take a GR down south from there to Lourdes, whether via Tarbes or not (personally I rather like Tarbes, and the food there could alone be worth the detour).

The GR waymarking the Piémont into Lourdes is beautiful ; but it's more alpine hiker's trekking path than pilgrim's way, and when I went that way myself, I often just completely avoided it and chose easier and more sensible, and faster, tarmac routes on little country roads at lower altitudes.

Then again, if "alpine hiker's trekking path" is your cup of tea, you'd love it !!

Another alternative would be out from Toulouse up the Garonne valley route via Muret towards Saint-Gaudens (which is waymarked), then follow that through Labarthe-Rivière to reach the Piémont Way at Barbazan, etc.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I guess you could do Toulouse to Maubourguet on the Arles Way, then take a GR down south from there to Lourdes, whether via Tarbes or not (personally I rather like Tarbes, and the food there could alone be worth the detour).

The GR waymarking the Piémont into Lourdes is beautiful ; but it's more alpine hiker's trekking path than pilgrim's way, and when I went that way myself, I basically just completely avoided it and chose easier and more sensible, and faster, tarmac routes on little country roads at lower altitudes.

Then again, if "alpine hiker's trekking path" is your cup of tea, you'd love it !!

In the before time alpine would be okay. Now, not so much.

Is there sufficient waymarking for tarmac routes?

Hello,

A few weeks ago I dreamt about Saint Bernadette twice. Never in my life have I dreamt about a Saint.

As an early Episcopalian I didn’t know who she was. Sorry, but never investigated Lourdes. After my research I felt quite a strong desire to make a pilgrimage there.

Next year I wish to either walk to Lourdes from somewhere, taking all suggestions, then on to Santiago.

Or, start in Lourdes and walk to Santiago.

I am in training. By leave date April/May 2020, I pray to manage at least 15-20 kilometers daily.

On CF, I know there’s sufficient infrastructure for those distances.

However, Lourdes to SJPP or Lourdes to Puente de la Reina will there there be enough lodging for those distances? Is the lodging albergues or gites. If gites what’s the outlay for a bed.

Because, this time I wish to enter Santiago on a route other CF after Ponferrada I wish to walk the Camino Invierno. I have same lodging distance questions as Lourdes to SJPP or PdlR.

All suggestions and advice will be greatly appreciated.
So, is your head spinning enough? Looking at some of the suggestions, i decided to google this: walking from Lourdes to ST Jean Pied du Port, and see what I found! I attach a screenshot, but you ought to be able to find the thread very easily. Looking forward to your eventual choice and following you on route...1C483AB4-075E-4197-958A-DC3E34D42CAF.png

€83,-
Is there sufficient waymarking for tarmac routes?

No, but it really doesn't matter -- just keep the Pyrenees to your left, look at a map occasionally, and you basically can't get lost ; which is nearly always true BTW even when you're on a waymarked path and take a wrong turn (but you need to be a lot more careful if you're up a mountain, where a wrong turn could lead to a 10K detour). Just keep a good smartphone map handy ...

If you want to avoid mountains as much as possible though, then the first route I suggested out of Toulouse passing through or near Tarbes would be the way to do that.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
No, but it really doesn't matter -- just keep the Pyrenees to your left, look at a map occasionally, and you basically can't get lost ; which is nearly always true BTW even when you're on a waymarked path and take a wrong turn (but you need to be a lot more careful if you're up a mountain, where a wrong turn could lead to a 10K detour). Just keep a good smartphone map handy ...

If you want to avoid mountains as much as possible though, then the first route I suggested out of Toulouse passing through or near Tarbes would be the way to do that.

Thank you very much.

I’ll take the tarmac while looking up at the mountains.

Lourdes to Oloron was more tarmac than path, so it should suit you. Maps.me app provides great offline maps that can guide you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Two years ago, my wife and I flew to Toulouse via Frankfurt, went to the Cathedral in Toulouse where we received a stamp, a blessing and a personal inspirational talk by a priest in the sacristy, took the train to Lourdes and spent a day there. Don't miss the nightly procession. It's unforgettable. We then walked to Oleron where met some fellow pellerin who recommended walking to Somport. The next day we stopped at the monastery in Sarrance , one of our favorite stops of any Camino we have done. Somport is so impressive because of the high peaks, which SJPD does not have. We then continued on the Aragones, which we loved. At Logrono, we turned south to walk the Camino Ignaciano, which ends at Montserrat and Manresa. This was a long Camino Combo, but by far the most religious and most adventurous. Nothing we have done compared to spending the night in Montserrat.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back