• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walk to Rubiases (CP)

Gumba

Time of past OR future Camino
Winter CF2018 Winter CF2019-20
So forward planning here.. I have seen some pics of the stage to Rubiases and it looks like a bit of a killer. So, on a scale of '1'and 'the walk into Zibiri (CF)' where would you rate ths stage? Does the very rocky trail go up or down or both? I read there is an alternate way to the top via the road - has anyone walked to the top (and down again) via the road? Would love to hear the thoughts and opinions (and reasurance!!!) of those who have done it,

thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It was my hardest day on the Portuguese, but it was also a long day for me since I started that morning at Casa da Fernanda, and it was about 31 km to Rubiães. It wouldn't have been as difficult if I had started at Ponte de Lima that day and tackled that hill when I was fresher.
I actually stayed in São Roque, which is slightly before Rubiães.

You can compare the stage profile on Gronze vs the stage profile into Zubiri. Click on the "Ver perfil de la etapa/View stage profile" link under the map.

We walked from Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes this day, about 18kms. It was four years ago but don't remember the path being to bad, because of the shorter distance we just took our time. Pat had a bit of waiting for me to catch up!
Some photos from the ascent and at the Alto de Portela Grande. Great views from the top. Can't remember what the path was like on the way down and into Rubiaes and we don't have any photos. Don't remember it being anything like the descent down to Zubiri.
,P5194120.JPGP5194121.JPGP5194122.JPGP5194123.JPGP5194127.JPGP5194129.JPG

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The uphill is a killer, but there is no such horrible downhill after it, just a "normal" one.
It was an interesting day for us in 2017. We had a horrendous time going up. it wa slong, difficult, rocky. We got to the top of Alto da Portela feeling so depleted we layed on the ground for some minutes before being able to drink water or eat.
But then, I think the adrenaline was pumping so hard after that walk that we had some bread, salami and walked much further then we expected. I even cancelled my booking for that day (which I made thinking of the difficulty of this stage) and we kept walking.

Who knows how your body will react to that? You will have to go there and check :) I wouldn´t go via the road. The view from the top is amazing.

I am in my seventies and walked from Ponte de lima to Ribiaes 4 or so years ago on the Portugese. It was raining very heavily and a stream rushed down the hill among the large stones. I had a full pack and didn't consider it too challenging. Leaving the Albergue at Ribiaes you walk over a Roman bridge which shows you the age of the trail!

Quoting from my live thread:

We didn’t find the 400m ascent to Alto da Portelo to be very steep or difficult. The descent was trickier because logging was taking place on the path as we were walking, so we had to wait several minutes to pass the machine and then had to clamber over several tree trunks that were blocking the entire trail.

Rubiães seems like an unusual place to be so popular as an end-of-stage destination. The town is just strung along the through road and while there are quite a few albergues and other pilgrim accommodation options (more than listed in Gronze), there’s little else, so if you want to walk further, there’s nothing really keeping you here.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So forward planning here.. I have seen some pics of the stage to Rubiases and it looks like a bit of a killer. So, on a scale of '1'and 'the walk into Zibiri (CF)' where would you rate ths stage? Does the very rocky trail go up or down or both? I read there is an alternate way to the top via the road - has anyone walked to the top (and down again) via the road? Would love to hear the thoughts and opinions (and reasurance!!!) of those who have done it,

thanks
Walked the Portugues in 2017, and remember that hill distinctly, it is ALL rock. I found it to be a difficult climb (but, I think, not too long), I don't remember the descent being that difficult at all. I don't know about a road alternative, but parallel to the rock path (in the woods), there's a path used by the people collecting sap from the pine trees (you'll see the bags hanging off the trees). I didn't take it because there was no way of telling if it went all the way up, or how far off it veered from the Camino. Turns out, it goes all the way up, and spits you out on the top, right where the Camino is. I can't vouch for what it's like, but if I went again, I think I would try it. The top is awesome, by the way. Besides the view, it was like a little party up there, everyone so happy to have made it, and there's a big well with delicious, very cold water. Enjoy! Bob

Attachments

• extBiXe_TZGHCspdfg8u8g.jpg
    extBiXe_TZGHCspdfg8u8g.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 29

thanks

If you walked Camino Frances you do not have to wory at all. On a warm day it can be a bit of a struggle. But otherwise nothing to wory about.

Here it is, The Portuguese vs. The French.

IMG_2641.PNG

IMG_2640.PNG

A selection of Camino Jewellery

thanks
Much harder than to Zuberi.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked to Zubiri in 2016 and to Rubiães in 2018. The stage leading up to Rubiães is definitely the most vertically challenging on the CP between Porto and Santiago, but that isn't saying too much. There was nothing on that Camino to compare to the more challenging days on the CF. My recollection was that the downhill, while certainly there, wasn't as steep or challenging as it was to Zubiri. It certainly didn't do as much damage to my knees. But, to be fair, I was in better shape in 2018 than I was in 2016, and that may have affected my perception of things.

If you started in SJPdP the walk to Zubiri is hard because it follows the day(s) over the Pyrenees. I would definitely recommend staying in Ponte de Lima the night before Rubias. It is a delightful town and you won't be doing a long day along with the climb. I have walked it twice and my recollection is that will steep, it wasn't long compared to the harder climbs on the Frances. Just have plenty of water, stop when you want and rest at the top. I can't remember the details but there is a cross/monument; Cruz dos Franceses, well known as the spot where Napoleon’s troops were ambushed during the Peninsular War saving Portugal. The downhill is not memorable.

Thank you everyone, for your wonderful comments.

Does anyone have any experience with winter walking? Are we likely to see snow? Ice on the ground? Will we struggle to find accommodation? Our preference is private accommodation - all the way, if that is possible.

thanks again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you everyone, for your wonderful comments.

Does anyone have any experience with winter walking? Are we likely to see snow? Ice on the ground? Will we struggle to find accommodation? Our preference is private accommodation - all the way, if that is possible.

thanks again.
No experience in Winter walking, sorry.
When we walked in 2017, we stayed mostly in private accommodation, and there was plenty of options. Even on the areas where we stayed in albergues, there were small inns or hotels available.
We had no issue to find very nice places for affordable prices (for 2 people) all the way from Porto to Santiago. Not sure how it will be post-covid, but at the time it was very easy.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.