• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walker and Cyclist together

Time of past OR future Camino
Partial Frances (2018)
Full Frances 2022 (May-Jun)
My significant other had hip replacement surgery last year and unfortunately they damaged her sciatic nerve during the surgery. As a result her favorite activity, walking, is now difficult for her. Walking more than a mile is problematic for her. However, she can still ride her bike pretty proficiently. I would like to walk the Camino Frances and was wondering if there is a way she could accompany me on the bike.

The mileage I would be covering on foot, 15-20 miles per day would not be enough to keep her occupied. She would be much happier with 50-60 miles a day on the bike. We don't necessarily need to see each other during the day but would want to meet up at the end of the day and depart together in the morning. Has anyone done anything like this? How did you handle the logistics?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would be covering on foot, 15-20 miles per day would not be enough to keep her occupied. She would be much happier with 50-60 miles a day on the bike.
We don't necessarily need to see each other during the day but would want to meet up at the end of the day and depart together in the morning.
I feel like you answered yourself. Mind you, many sections of the French way is not easy cycling.

Would you consider doing something like this instead?
The difference would be that your partner could get up and walk until she feels the need to rest.

My significant other had hip replacement surgery last year and unfortunately they damaged her sciatic nerve during the surgery. As a result her favorite activity, walking, is now difficult for her. Walking more than a mile is problematic for her. However, she can still ride her bike pretty proficiently. I would like to walk the Camino Frances and was wondering if there is a way she could accompany me on the bike.

The mileage I would be covering on foot, 15-20 miles per day would not be enough to keep her occupied. She would be much happier with 50-60 miles a day on the bike. We don't necessarily need to see each other during the day but would want to meet up at the end of the day and depart together in the morning. Has anyone done anything like this? How did you handle the logistics?

This is something that my husband and I have been talking about as due to hip issues he is concerned that he will not be able to walk at this level for any length of time. The current train of the thought is that if he rides a bike he will only goes as far as I feel that I will get to walking. While waiting for me he will scout things out for me, relax and enjoy the area.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In June I met a New Zealand couple where she had developed plantar fasciitis, and couldn't walk; but because of circumstances they felt they had to continue. She hired a bike and he walked beside her. It was Burgos to Leon across the Meseta, so relatively flat.

Sounds like one of you would have to compromise, if you are going to sleep in the same town each night. She could cycle on and then loop back to where you will sleep, but the second half of each day might seem a bit pointless if she is just doubling up the cycling distance in order to not feel bored. Alternately you could walk your distance and then catch a bus to the two she has cycled to. Neither seem particularly ideal.

I feel like you answered yourself. Mind you, many sections of the French way is not easy cycling.

Would you consider doing something like this instead?
The difference would be that your partner could get up and walk until she feels the need to rest.

Thanks, but there's no way she would ever do that. She would want to do it under her own power.

The only issue I see is that has been pointed out, many sections of the Camino Frances route are not particularly bike friendly, especially if she wishes to stay on the trails versus road riding. I often see cyclists pushing their bikes for extended periods on the hilly or rough terrain areas. It becomes more of an issue if it rains as much of Spain is heavy clay soil that turns into tire clinging gumbo when wet. Since you have pointed out she has difficulties walking, this could be an issue in some areas.
I am an avid cyclist myself, but after walking the last four years and observing cyclists it is not something I would want to do myself as it often looks much tougher than walking. I think the fitness level to bike the (especially on the trails) Camino probably exceeds that of walking it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I agree with the comments above, unless you are a very experienced cyclist, expect to push the bike 50% of the way through varying terrain and slopes.

Hi,

I cycled the Frances a couple of years ago and would agree that there are places where she will be pushing her bike - not an easy thing to do uphill, with terrible surfaces and bags on the bike.

However, it is always possible to take the road. Sometimes this is parallel to the walker's path. Some decent research will isolate the particular tricky points so she can know when to take the road.

Some proper research in general, will allow her to pick put the places she'd like to visit between your starting point and ending point every day. It could be very enjoyable for her if she does her research - possibly rather boring otherwise.

A couple of observations -
Does she have experience of cycling with panniers? A loaded bike will handle differently. I'd definitely recommend cycling with loaded panniers for practise. She does not want to cycle with a backpack!
Own bike or a rental? A rental may take a bit of time to get a good fit - especially with the medical situation.
Have good communication! Especially if either of you are worried about the other.
Remember, some albergues will not take bikers early in the day, giving priority to walkers. It could happen that they won't accept her until you show up....and that may be too late! Good explanations will be necessary!
Of course, you could book in advance and use a baggage transfer service and that would reduce some of the worries.

I met a few people who walked seperately every day but met up every evening to share their stories. I thought it was a rather healthy way of doing things.

Finally, doing the Camino on a bike, is, I imagine, a very different process to walking - certainly from a social aspect, simply because we meet new people every day by virtue of our speed. Your wife gains the advantage of sharing a Camino family with you!

Buen Camino

Frank

I don’t mean to belittle your partner’s cycling proficiency, but, as others have observed, the Camino, even by road, is not a ride in the park. In addition to the warnings issued in previous posts, she would need to be prepared for a rough ride and some fairly strenuous climbs of 1500m. Cyclists who fall by the wayside would need a pre-arranged support van rather than a regular taxi service. Heavily laden cyclists, even without her disability, do not generally cover the daily distance that you envisage. The undertaking might work if you lower your expectations and make sensible provision. Best wishes to you both if you decide to go your joint and separate ways.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
She has plenty of cycling experience. She has ridden across the US, solo and unsupported, also around both islands of New Zealand, and Ireland. That being said, she is not comfortable with off road riding. I walked SJP to Logrono last year. There is no way she could ride the descent down into Roncevalles. So, if we could come up with some sort of road route that crisscrossed the Camino and gave her mileage that would be ideal.

Hi there,

Trans America? New Zealand? She'll have no problems she hasn't come across before.

You're right about the descent from Roncevalles! I took a figary to follow the walker's route from St. Jean, with the bike, 4 panniers & a tent strapped on the back. (My Camino began in Holland). It was certainly challenging! I was so looking forward to getting to the top so I could freewheel down...... then I saw the path! So I took the road :)

The only accident I had was on a flat section of the path, cycling slowly on gravel. So, if she's not a fan of off-roading, then the criss-cross plan would be a winner, in my opinion.

And if that is the case, maybe there's an argument to be made for choosing a different route altogether? For example, after Santiago and the west coast of Spain, I cycled back along the northern coast of Spain. Fantastic cycling, great, quiet roads and whatever traffic I met was very respectful. I encountered quite a few pilgrims walking against me. It might be better for her, but perhaps not the same for you?

Either way, you have a lot of planning ahead of you both!

Enjoy!

Frank

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back