• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walkers/Bikers

LVDWD

Time of past OR future Camino
Just finished the Camino after biking from Bayonne to SDC via SJPP and then on to Fistera and Muxia.

Had not intended to bike it but circumstances meant that is was do it that way or not do it at all.

Had been reading this forum for a while (thanks for all the great info) and as I came to the realization that I could not walk it and that biking was an option started perusing posts on biking it. Came to realize that there was mixed feelings from some quarters about having bikers on the Camino even from a friend who had walked it and got me into planning to do the same (and he was elsewhere a keen biker).

So biked it with some trepidation as to how I might be received by the dominant walking community.

Got to say as a whole the experience from that perspective was a good one.

Made sure that I gave plenty of warning to walkers when approaching especially on difficult sections (steep uphills and tricky downhills, not good to get off at these points especially going up hill grunting and groaning along the way since losing momentum just means more grunting and groaning (lol)). And also indicated which side I was going to pass on-"Con Permiso, a su direcha(or on your left as the case may be), Buen Camino; came home hoarse from saying it and was glad when the road ran alongside the trail so that I could have a rest from doing that. Had a bell and used it but often I noticed it was not often heard by walking peregrinos and my usual greeting was better.

Generally was well received and had no problems with the walkers except on the odd occassion, generally when I was riding the trail and the road was along side (only did this if there was a lot of traffic). This was the case on the early part of going up to O'Cebrerio where the trail was pavement and ran alongside a busy road with trucks/lorries roaring by. In one instance when giving a group lots of warning an indignant walker gave me a loud and strident telling off and said I should be on the road. Between you and me I felt safer on the walkers side of the barrier-apologies to Rupert Brooke but I did not want to die on "some foreign field" just so that my fellow peregrinos did not have to move out the way.

When I could loved to slow down and spent 5 or 10 mins riding along side a walker or group of walkers and chat. Made many acquaintances that way who I sometime met again along the way. It was rare that I had the same experience with fellow bikers.

On some of the climbs when I had to get off and push (which was more than I wanted) walkers took pity on me and helped push my bike up. Thanks for all that did that it was really appreciated-especially on the way up to La Faba where I foolishly ended up on the trail (there is more than one use for a hiking pole).

In closing at least from my perspective given the numbers of walkers and bikers out there think relations were pretty smooth and mirrored life in general, we get along with most people most of the time with the odd exception.

Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just finished the Camino after biking from Bayonne to SDC via SJPP and then on to Fistera and Muxia.

Had not intended to bike it but circumstances meant that is was do it that way or not do it at all.

Had been reading this forum for a while (thanks for all the great info) and as I came to the realization that I could not walk it and that biking was an option started perusing posts on biking it. Came to realize that there was mixed feelings from some quarters about having bikers on the Camino even from a friend who had walked it and got me into planning to do the same (and he was elsewhere a keen biker).

So biked it with some trepidation as to how I might be received by the dominant walking community.

Got to say as a whole the experience from that perspective was a good one.

Made sure that I gave plenty of warning to walkers when approaching especially on difficult sections (steep uphills and tricky downhills, not good to get off at these points especially going up hill grunting and groaning along the way since losing momentum just means more grunting and groaning (lol)). And also indicated which side I was going to pass on-"Con Permiso, a su direcha(or on your left as the case may be), Buen Camino; came home hoarse from saying it and was glad when the road ran alongside the trail so that I could have a rest from doing that. Had a bell and used it but often I noticed it was not often heard by walking peregrinos and my usual greeting was better.

Generally was well received and had no problems with the walkers except on the odd occassion, generally when I was riding the trail and the road was along side (only did this if there was a lot of traffic). This was the case on the early part of going up to O'Cebrerio where the trail was pavement and ran alongside a busy road with trucks/lorries roaring by. In one instance when giving a group lots of warning an indignant walker gave me a loud and strident telling off and said I should be on the road. Between you and me I felt safer on the walkers side of the barrier-apologies to Rupert Brooke but I did not want to die on "some foreign field" just so that my fellow peregrinos did not have to move out the way.

When I could loved to slow down and spent 5 or 10 mins riding along side a walker or group of walkers and chat. Made many acquaintances that way who I sometime met again along the way. It was rare that I had the same experience with fellow bikers.

On some of the climbs when I had to get off and push (which was more than I wanted) walkers took pity on me and helped push my bike up. Thanks for all that did that it was really appreciated-especially on the way up to La Faba where I foolishly ended up on the trail (there is more than one use for a hiking pole).

In closing at least from my perspective given the numbers of walkers and bikers out there think relations were pretty smooth and mirrored life in general, we get along with most people most of the time with the odd exception.

Buen Camino.
Thank you so much for your perspective. It is so odd the two groups don't always interact.

Just some thoughts.

I don't mind the bikes, except for the odd one now and then that buzzes past without warning. But what I have always wondered is, are bikers able to interact with other people during the camino, either other bikers or with the hikers? It seems like a fairly solitary existence for the most part on the camino.

Also, do they develop a "camino family" along the way like most hikers do?

It always seemed to me like there are so many other options for bikers other than the camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Walk, bike, horse, donkey...each to their own mode of transport. My only complaint about bikes were many would ride five abreast, or be in poor control weaving all over, and several times I was struck from behind (as I hugged the edge of the road)--or barely escaped by jumping off the road into a canal, trench, etc. That said, they were generally nice and polite, and I saw instances where bikes had to run off the road avoiding walkers 6 abreast who refused to give way.

One of my favorite stories involves bicigrinos on my last day of walking. A group of a dozen or so bikes came up very quickly behind me with no warning, more than one bumping me as I jumped into roses... I'd had it! As the 12th rode past I yelled "hey, use your bell!" At this, he rang it twice and we both laughed and said "buen Camino"

Just some thoughts.

I don't mind the bikes, except for the odd one now and then that buzzes past without warning. But what I have always wondered is, are bikers able to interact with other people during the camino, either other bikers or with the hikers? It seems like a fairly solitary existence for the most part on the camino.

Also, do they develop a "camino family" along the way like most hikers do?

It always seemed to me like there are so many other options for bikers other than the camino.

Don't disagree with the notion that there are lots of other options for bikers than doing the Camino (one could argue the same for the walkers of course if you wanted to, I don't). In defense of myself and I felt at all times I needed to do that (defend the fact that I was biking) when I conversed with walkers, so I always opened the conversation or would quickly move to saying "I was going to walk it but have a back injury that prevents me doing so". Later I would think why am I apologising, you don't need to, but continued doing it anyway, so I guess all along "The Way" I did feel as though I was intruding, that I was an unvited guest at a private party, a gate crasher who had to explain his reasons for joining the party. But still got to admit that the walkers I talked to never gave me that impression, so perhaps the feeling was purely mine?

With regards to interaction, as I indicated earlier, I did not interact with many other bikers much and yes at times it was a lonely but satisfying ride along the Camino. However I did interact with quite a few walkers and a few I did meet again along the way by various coincidences. Especially at the beginning where I was not to far ahead and a 2 day stay in Pamploma made it easy for them to catch up. And actually by amazing coincidence after a trip to Fistera and Muxia on the return to SDC ended in up the same 4 bed room (in the Hotel Salle highly recommended) with two walkers that I had met fairly late on the trail, one of whom was from my birth county of Yorkshire. Coincidence again played its part when the third member of their Camino family who I also had previously met ended up on my Spanish language course in SDC.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
When I could loved to slow down and spent 5 or 10 mins riding along side a walker or group of walkers and chat. Made many acquaintances that way .

Wish more people would do that!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi LVDWD -

A great thread! Thank you for sharing your bike camino here on the Forum - you gave the walkers a lot of consideration and respect and, except for that one instance, your consideration and respect was returned.

One of the most fantastic memories of my recent first aid camino with fellow Forum member David, was with four Spanish biking pilgrims struggling up that steep hill before you get to Maneru. It was quite a warm day and even walking up the hill was a bit taxing at times. The lads were joking and encouraging each other up the steep hill - saying "Help me! Help me!" and a group of us who were walking all stopped and cheered them on - lots of applause, congratulations, lots of laughter and smiles all round. The already bright and sunny day was even more bright because of the biking pilgrims.

Cheers - Jenny

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back