• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking 1st week of Camino Frances 9-14 July from St Jean Pied de Port...advice welcome☺️

IrishMel2018

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino 2016
Camino 2018
Hi everyone, new to this...I’m Irish & arrive in Biarritz Monday 9th july to walk the first week of Camino, having already completed the final week of Camino a few years back, although I was with a group back then, this time I am travelling alone! So any advice would be great or get in touch if you’re on the same boat as me! Also how safe is it for ladies on the Camino alone? Excited but nervous!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Enjoy the walk! I walked last summer from SJPdP alone and I found it to be a beautiful section of the camino. I broke the first stage by staying in Orisson which was good for getting to know people. I'm rather introverted, but I found it easy to find company when I needed it and to enjoy the solitude at other times. One time when I needed company on a dark morning, I asked a couple if I could tag along with them for a bit which was fine - so don't be afraid to reach out if you need a bit of support. Basically, I think the CF is a great place for a woman to walk alone. Buen camino!

Hi everyone, new to this...I’m Irish & arrive in Biarritz Monday 9th july to walk the first week of Camino, having already completed the final week of Camino a few years back, although I was with a group back then, this time I am travelling alone! So any advice would be great or get in touch if you’re on the same boat as me! Also how safe is it for ladies on the Camino alone? Excited but nervous!
I will be in St Jean Pied de Port on Tuesday 10th July to start with my son the next day. There will be plenty of people around so you won't be walking on your own. You can walk and chat with people you are OK with, or just walk on your own with others in front and behind, so you will be safe indeed.

Buen Camino

Mike

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Irish Mel, I always walk alone! I pay attention to how I feel, perceive what's going on around me. If it doesn't feel good, stop for a coffee, or wait for a group of people, and tag along. Call in your "Divine Team" to keep you safe and aware!! Buen Camino!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@IrishMel2018 , sounds great

I'm a bloke, so can't respond to all of your questions.

On the other hand I have walked alone from south central France to north west Spain, in south east England and, with my adult son, on a more limited stroll in Scotland.

I like walking alone best. I'm in control of what I do, or don't do, each day. And of who I chat to at stops during the day. And where and when and what I eat. But it's only for a season (week, month, whatever). Then normal transmission resumes at home.

Your preparation, your stamina etc will guide you as to the distances you will do each day. Some people on trip like this like every day buttoned down. Others take each hour, each day, each encounter as they come. You will be able to find out which you are for yourself.

Five or six days walking would get you to, or approaching, Estella / Lizarra. There is a hop on bus service between Pamplona, Estella and Logrono. The timetable is here.

Being a bit of a rebel I often chose to walk on nearby roads, on the usually generous shoulder on the left, facing the on coming traffic. Most of my training is on roads, so I was comfortable with that.

So, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi buen Camino! It’s very safe. I’m young and female and walked alone. Just be smart. I’d suggest not starting out before dawn solo and I always tried to have someone in front and behind me (even if they were pretty far away) just in case. I loved walking alone. You meet so many more people than you would in a group.

You probably already know this since you’ve done it before, but TRAIN before you leave. Take hikes with the weight of your backpack on you. Also really wear in your shoes while doing this. I’m a runner and really I’m shape, but I didn’t train and completely hated my life the first week or so.

Have fun!!!

There are so many pilgrims now that you will rarely be alone. I am walking now and see many women who are alone.

As falcon269 said, beware San Fermin. Pamplona is not where I would choose to stop at that time. If you can gauge your days, and stop either in Zabaldika or Trinidad de Arre (you cannot book in either of those donativo albergues, although there is more than one albergue in Arre) that would let you go on through Pamplona to Cizur Menor, or even up to Zariquiegui or over to Uterga - which you might be able to book- that will take you out of the hullabaloo that is Pamplona those days. On the other hand... maybe hullabaloo is to your taste! Having said that, albergues are closed, to the best of my knowledge, during San Fermin. May the road rise before you, buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My camino friend was just showing me pictures of Pamplona during San Fermin which she walked through last year. There is a great shot of her being hugged by two carnival figures. She looked like she was having a lot of fun! She didn't stay in Pamplona though, but walked on through as has been suggested.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back