• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking 21 days from Pamplona to Santiago. Is it ok?

AndyTomas

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2019)
Hi guys,

I will walk from Pamplona to Santiago in only 21 days. Average 30 to 39 km at day.

Starting the 29 April 2019 and finish the 21 May 2019.

Anyone is doing same walking as me and. Same days?

Looking forward to hear from all of you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m training once a week walking long distances from 26 to 35 km.
I know, I should walk more than once a day but I work the others day, so I’m doing my best.
By the way I walk with my Osprey 38L on my back with all the stuff that I’ll bring with me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
just remember to take time out and enjoy the experience 30-39km day after day after day, will take it's toll in some form. I'm doing Logrono to Santiago in 24. I learned from two previous failed attempts that trying to stick to extreme deadlines can be demotivating if you have any kind of hiccup, injury, sickness, or romance.

Having said that, even if walking 25km per day you are usually well at your destination by 1pm depending upon how long you stop for breafast or lunch. so there is definitely ample time for another 10km as long as all is well physically

Last edited:
21 days for Pamplona-Santiago is a very tight scedule. Only few pilgrims walk These distances. But I am confident you will meet somebody on the way.

Most likely you will succeed ..... but - it may happen that due to fatigue and / or lack of time, you will not enjoy all that Camino also enable: rests with coffee wherever you like, exploring towns and churches and chapels, moments admiring many stuning views, chat with pilgrims or locals,...... On my first Camino, my average day was 30km. Physically, it was not a problem (at that time I was 56 years old). But - never again. Much more beauty, peace, joy ... I have if my average is 20-25km per day. Of course, this is true for me. Maybe your motivation is also a physical challenge

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
just remember to take time out and enjoy the experience 30-39km day after day after day, will take it's toll in some form. I'm doing Logrono to Santiago in 24. I learned from two previous failed attempts that trying to stick to extreme deadlines can be demotivating if you have any kind of hiccup, injury, sickness, or romance.

Having said that, even if walking 25km per day you are usually well at your destination by 1pm depending upon how long you stop for breafast or lunch. so there is definitely ample time for another 10km as long as all is well physically
It makes sense what you are saying.
What I wrote was incorrect because I won’t walk between 30 to 39 km at day. Thanks to the website godesco.com I checked all the distances between a place to another and I found out that I will walk from a short distance, which is 20km, to long distance, which will be 39km.
This is the itinerary that I have organised all in once after a few days I decided to do the walk.
It was incredible almost perfect! I tried after took a lot of information regarding the Camino for changing the itinerary all over the website but I found out that I will stay in places that are high recommend by people. The best of this itinerary is that I realised I will walk only 21km last day to Santiago. So, I will have almost all day to prepare myself for back at home the day after.
I am taking the time every time I go for a training walk and I’m pretty good and fit because I walk between 5 to 6 km/h. Very surprised of myself

I would like to share with you guys my itinerary.....

Can I write here or I need to open a new topic?

Most likely you will succeed ..... but - it may happen that due to fatigue and / or lack of time, you will not enjoy all that Camino also enable: rests with coffee wherever you like, exploring towns and churches and chapels, moments admiring many stuning views, chat with pilgrims or locals,...... On my first Camino, my average day was 30km. Physically, it was not a problem (at that time I was 56 years old). But - never again. Much more beauty, peace, joy ... I have if my average is 20-25km per day. Of course, this is true for me. Maybe your motivation is also a physical challenge
No it’s not a physical challenge.
I have something deeper than that😉
I understand that I won’t have enough time (maybe) to enjoy the Camino, but I only have 3 weeks and I want to do it in once as my dad did before he passed away a few years ago.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would like to share with you guys my itinerary.....

Can I write here or I need to open a new topic?

Why not post here, since you've already introduced yourself and given some background on your planning and walking abilities. Planning and tweaking is all part of the Camino. And everyone love to get into the act!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why not post here, since you've already introduced yourself and given some background on your planning and walking abilities. Planning and tweaking is all part of the Camino. And everyone love to get into the act!
Ok I will.....
I need a few minutes to digit all the name of the cities/villages.
Do you know a quick way? Ahahah

Pamplona to Lorca 37.9
Lorca to Los Arcos 30.5
Los arcos to Logrono 28.5
Logrono to Azofra 35.5
Azofra to Beldorado 39
Beldorado to Atapurca 30.7
Atapurca to Burgos 20.2
Burgos to Hontanas 32.1
Hontanas to Proclation de campos 38.8
Proclamation de campos to Caldizza de cuere 33.6
Caldizza to El Burgos ranero 41.1
El Burgos Ranero to Leon 38.5
Leon to Hospital de Obrigo 32.9
Hospital de Obrigo to Rabanal de Camino 38.2
Rabanal de Camino to Ponferrada 33.3
Ponferrada to Trabadelo 33.3
Trbadelo to Fonfria 31.1
Fronfia to Sarria 34.8
Sarria to Castromaior 32.6
Castromaior to Melide 31
Melide to A Rúa (Arco de Pino) 32.8
A Rùa (Arco de Pino) to Santiago 21.2

This is my itinerary 😉
I know someone will agree with it and someone else not, but the Camino is something very personal so no judgment 😜

Looking forward to hear from you guys

Itineraries are wonderful things to help with preparation. I often make them, usually to work out the date for my return ticket. I always throw in a couple of extra days for the unexpected. And strikes by train drivers.

And then I throw my itinerary away as soon as I start walking. Because I meet people who are interesting and want to stay with them, or it is raining and more fun to hole up early in a bar, or the day is glorious and cool and the far horizon calls me to walk further, or there is a pulpo fiesta in the next town I don't want to miss so I hurry ahead, or a new albergue has just opened and it looks good.

For me one of the essential joys of being on camino is the freedom.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Itineraries are wonderful things to help with preparation. I often make them, usually to work out the date for my return ticket. I always throw in a couple of extra days for the unexpected. And strikes by train drivers.

And then I throw my itinerary away as soon as I start walking. Because I meet people who are interesting and want to stay with them, or it is raining and more fun to hole up early in a bar, or the day is glorious and cool and the far horizon calls me to walk further, or there is a pulpo fiesta in the next town I don't want to miss so I hurry ahead, or a new albergue has just opened and it looks good.

For me one of the essential joys of being on camino is the freedom.
I agree with you, but this time it will be like this.
Next time, which will be next year I hope, but with my fiancé, I will take more time to enjoy the Camino.
Anyway you never know what the Camino has for you! 😉 Correct? 😁
Fingers crossed

It is not always a matter of slowing down - sometimes I actually walk further than expected. It's a mindset thing.

Andrea, I've looked at your proposed itinerary. It is ambitious. Go for it, but do not judge yourself if you finish up on a bus. Walking a long distance once a week is very different to walking that distance day after day after day. You really don't know how your body will react. You may be fine. Or not. It is sometimes like the weather - unpredictable.

May the flowers bloom for you, and your path be sweet!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is not always a matter of slowing down - sometimes I actually walk further than expected. It's a mindset thing.

Andrea, I've looked at your proposed itinerary. It is ambitious. Go for it, but do not judge yourself if you finish up on a bus. Walking a long distance once a week is very different to walking that distance day after day after day. You really don't know how your body will react. You may be fine. Or not. It is sometimes like the weather - unpredictable.

May the flowers bloom for you, and your path be sweet!
Will see!!! I hope my body will respond well.......
I know people of near 60 that walked like me day after day after day the Camino.
So again fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Andy, you look young. You are training. You have done research. your plan is made, for this time. So, begin. See how you go. adapt, but make sure you walk the required 100km before Santiago if you want a Compostela. Keep us posted on your progress. I wish you Buen Camino, and hopefully your next one with your fiancee will let you take more time to enjoy the camino together.

Andy, you look young. You are training. You have done research. your plan is made, for this time. So, begin. See how you go. adapt, but make sure you walk the required 100km before Santiago if you want a Compostela. Keep us posted on your progress. I wish you Buen Camino, and hopefully your next one with your fiancee will let you take more time to enjoy the camino together.
Thanks!!!
Of course I will walk the last 100km. I planned to walk from Pamplona to Santiago!!! Why you said make sure to walk the last 100km?! Sound like you think I will use the bus to walk to Santiago. Am I wrong?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks!!!
Of course I will walk the last 100km. I planned to walk from Pamplona to Santiago!!! Why you said make sure to walk the last 100km?! Sound like you think I will use the bus to walk to Santiago. Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. Some people have indicated that on the way you might come across a hitch, meaning that you could find the schedule tight. In that case, if you had to take a bus, I was just suggesting to make sure to do it before the final 100km. Sorry if you thought I was inferring otherwise. I was not.

Yes, you are wrong. Some people have indicated that on the way you might come across a hitch, meaning that you could find the schedule tight. In that case, if you had to take a bus, I was just suggesting to make sure to do it before the final 100km. Sorry if you thought I was inferring otherwise. I was not.
Sorry to me for the misunderstanding!
My apologies and thanks for the tip.

I'm doing the same trip you are doing, but starting a bit earlier and using more days. I start walking from Pamplona and end on April 30 in SdC. I have no idea if I will be able to make it all the way and I am not going to beat myself up if I don't. I may take busses through suburbs. I tend to be a planner and I am trying to just let this be. I am sorry about your father. Mine died when I was 20, so I know a bit what that is like.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It's very do-able but you just often have to walk a stage in the morning and a stage in the afternoon - walking say 8-9 hours a day does mean that will have to take pot luck with accommodation as some albergues might be full when you arrive

All the more reason to travel light - aim for 30L pack and 5kg max

Out of curiosity, why did you choose Pamplona as your starting point? And why exactly 21 days? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ll walk starting everyday at 6 am.
My backpack is 38L but it’s not full..... and no more than 6 kg. No much to bring with me.

You'll be fine. Buen Camino Andy!

Will see!!! I hope my body will respond well.......
I know people of near 60 that walked like me day after day after day the Camino.
So again fingers crossed 🤞🏻
hi ! if you want, you can do, I am 63 years old and last year I did sjpp-santiago in 23 ... .... the daily distance varies depending on the terrain .... and the places you want to visit ! buen camino !!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you go your way for a very special reason, as you would like to do it, that can give you great power.

It will certainly be a big challenge, both physically and mentally.

You will walk a lot alone, because very few pilgrims walk so long stages. You will rarely meet anybody you already know. The path will bring you to your limits - that can be very nice too.

I like that you have set such a great goal in memory of your father. For sure you will meet him on the way, especially when you least expect it - probably more intense and emotional than you can meet him in Santiago Cathedral.

Start the way YOU think it is right for you now, be open to change and listen to your feeling, your body and your inner voice.

I wish you, that it will be a fulfilled way and you get answers to questions that you do not even know at the moment.😉

hi ! if you want, you can do, I am 63 years old and last year I did sjpp-santiago in 23 ... .... the daily distance varies depending on the terrain .... and the places you want to visit ! buen camino !!!
Hi Maurizio, Finally I found someone that did the walk in almost the same time as I will.
When you say, the daily distance varies depending on the terrain, I know what it mean but how did you find out to walk long or short distances?
Did you plan before you started the Camino or during each stop? Can you help me?

Are you italian? Because I’m sonwe can talk in Italian language

No it’s not a physical challenge.
I have something deeper than that😉
I understand that I won’t have enough time (maybe) to enjoy the Camino, but I only have 3 weeks and I want to do it in once as my dad did before he passed away a few years ago.

Well good luck to you, that's quite a reason you have for wanting to do it :) I really wish you well and hope it's everything you wish for! Safe travels and buen camino to you! :) x

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I hope it works out for you. In the case though that you fall behind a bit and completing the camino all the way to SdC under your own power in the allotted time is more important just walking until you run out of time you could rent a bicycle. The below is a cut-and-paste from another post of mine.

-----

One thing to consider if you want to do the camino under your power but don't have enough time to walk the whole way is to rent a bicycle for the meseta section. (I am neither for nor against doing this; I'm just just presenting the idea.)

In Burgos (and maybe even earlier in Logrono) you can rent bikes to be returned in Leon or Astorga. Burgos and Astorga are end points of the meseta where the Camino Frances runs. Roughly, they are 240 kilometers apart (that's 150 miles) and that should be able to be biked in four days, maybe three. Brierley's guidebook suggests 10 days to walk this distance so this could shave a week off the time you need to do your camino.

There are a number of places where you can rent. Here are some links I've collected (but the list may not be complete):
Some other thoughts:

If you go your way for a very special reason, as you would like to do it, that can give you great power.

It will certainly be a big challenge, both physically and mentally.

You will walk a lot alone, because very few pilgrims walk so long stages. You will rarely meet anybody you already know. The path will bring you to your limits - that can be very nice too.

I like that you have set such a great goal in memory of your father. For sure you will meet him on the way, especially when you least expect it - probably more intense and emotional than you can meet him in Santiago Cathedral.

Start the way YOU think it is right for you now, be open to change and listen to your feeling, your body and your inner voice.

I wish you, that it will be a fulfilled way and you get answers to questions that you do not even know at the moment.😉
I decide to walk alone because I really looking forward to stay with only myself. I need it. Otherwise I have my fiancé that wishing to come with me but I stopped her because....... well I’ll say it another time.😉
I hope it works out for you. In the case though that you fall behind a bit and completing the camino all the way to SdC under your own power in the allotted time is more important just walking until you run out of time you could rent a bicycle. The below is a cut-and-paste from another post of mine.

-----

One thing to consider if you want to do the camino under your power but don't have enough time to walk the whole way is to rent a bicycle for the meseta section. (I am neither for nor against doing this; I'm just just presenting the idea.)

In Burgos (and maybe even earlier in Logrono) you can rent bikes to be returned in Leon or Astorga. Burgos and Astorga are end points of the meseta where the Camino Frances runs. Roughly, they are 240 kilometers apart (that's 150 miles) and that should be able to be biked in four days, maybe three. Brierley's guidebook suggests 10 days to walk this distance so this could shave a week off the time you need to do your camino.

There are a number of places where you can rent. Here are some links I've collected (but the list may not be complete):

Some other thoughts:
thanks for all these informations.
This is why I love this forum. There is always something that we can learn from veteran!😉
Thanks again

€149,-
I did SJPP to SdC in 24 days at the age of 50. My first day was to Orrison which was 7km and my last day was from Monte do Gozo which was 5km. I started slowly, doing only 20-30km per day the first week. I highly recommend limiting yourself to that as you acclimate to the daily rigors of walking. By the last week I was able to walk 30-40km days easily. I found it really wasn't hard to walk those distances, you just had to walk later in the day. My longest day was 58km on my second to last day and it was sublime. I haven't felt so strong before or since.

Good luck and I would like to follow your progress.

@AndyTomas , greetings and I have studied your daily trip intentions with great interest.

I also note you will also walk with your fiancee next year. And I note that you wish to do as your dad has done.

My purpose in writing is to support your courage.

And in doing that I know that things don't always go to plan.

In my view your plan is achievable under the best conditions. With 6 am starts and OK weather and good conditions underfoot and your strength holding up.

Some suggestions if you strike problems:
  1. before Sarria do not be afraid to hitch or take buses
  2. don't be afraid to stop where you are before your last day and return to that place next year, with your fiancee and complete. If you stop at or before Sarria you will both get a Compostela.😌😌

I would rather you could feel open to completing next year and that you avoid any sense of failure this year.

For your journey, @AndyTomas , I say kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

I did SJPP to SdC in 24 days at the age of 50. My first day was to Orrison which was 7km and my last day was from Monte do Gozo which was 5km. I started slowly, doing only 20-30km per day the first week. I highly recommend limiting yourself to that as you acclimate to the daily rigors of walking. By the last week I was able to walk 30-40km days easily. I found it really wasn't hard to walk those distances, you just had to walk later in the day. My longest day was 58km on my second to last day and it was sublime. I haven't felt so strong before or since.

Good luck and I would like to follow your progress.
Hi, your post is making and keeping myself more and more sure of what I’m going to do.😄
I was a bit unsure about my journey, when I plan it, if I could walk every day at least 30km. In addition, since I posted here, that I was planning to walk from Pamplona to SdC in 22/23 days, as you can imagine, veterans of the Camino as you or young started to say, logically, that it was a bit too much!😥😥😥😥
All of them kept me with the feet on the ground and I started thinking that it was almost impossible.
It’s true and I know that “you never know with what and how the Camino can surprise you” but you have to try to answer this question!!!! 😉

However, thank you so much for your support and now I’m more than sure what I’m going to do.

Definitely, I’ll keep all of you update of how my journey is going (April 29th).

Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@AndyTomas , greetings and I have studied your daily trip intentions with great interest.

I also note you will also walk with your fiancee next year. And I note that you wish to do as your dad has done.

My purpose in writing is to support your courage.

And in doing that I know that things don't always go to plan.

In my view your plan is achievable under the best conditions. With 6 am starts and OK weather and good conditions underfoot and your strength holding up.

Some suggestions if you strike problems:
  1. before Sarria do not be afraid to hitch or take buses
  2. don't be afraid to stop where you are before your last day and return to that place next year, with your fiancee and complete. If you stop at or before Sarria you will both get a Compostela.😌😌
I would rather you could feel open to completing next year and that you avoid any sense of failure this year.

For your journey, @AndyTomas , I say kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)
Thanks you so much!
I’ll keep you update

Hi guys,

I will walk from Pamplona to Santiago in only 21 days. Average 30 to 39 km at day.

I’ve seen it done. I’m a heavy set guy and I did St Jean to Santiago in 31 days and could have done better. Injuries and illnesses could hamper you but if you’re fit, organized and goal oriented, it’s definitely doable.

Sorry, I’m starting from St Jean May 1 or 2.

Good luck

If you think you can do it in 21 days then I say figure out how and DO IT! YOU CAN! You will need a plan. You will also need to understand that if something goes wrong your 21 day Camino may be in jeopardy... blisters, shin splints, plantar fasciitis... these things happen. But if you pack light, start out sensibly, and increase your mileage gradually, you should be able to do this. Also, after you've walked 19 days and are in great walking shape, I encourage you to take a "see how far you can walk in a day day". You won't have that opportunity very often.

€46,-
I'm also walking from Pamplona to Santiago but starting mid June for 42 days. I will be arriving and leaving from Madrid. Also, I plan to stay 2 days in one or two of the big cities. Twelve miles is probably my max and minimum is 9 for each day. Now, I feel like I have too many days. Let us know about your trip when you get back. Buen Camino!

Hi guys,

If you are fit and used to long distances and enjoy walking the whole day (like I do) I would say that it is no problem at all and you will have a lovely experience. I walked från SJpdP in 23 days and was in Pamplona my second day so I had 21 days from Pamplona. My stages are here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-stages-for-the-camino-frances-in-23-days.20768/

Pamplona to Lorca 37.9
Lorca to Los Arcos 30.5
Logrono to Azofra 35.5
Azofra to Beldorado 39
Atapurca to Burgos 20.2
Burgos to Hontanas 32.1
Trbadelo to Fonfria 31.1
Fronfia to Sarria 34.8
Castromaior to Melide 31

This is my itinerary 😉
I know someone will agree with it and someone else not, but the Camino is something very personal so no judgment 😜

Hi Andy.

Three years ago I walked from Najera to Santiago in 17 days. It was easy, walking from 7 to 17 (depending on distance and including breaks to rest and eat and drink and chat).

I walked this:

Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada
Santo Domingo to Villafranca de Montesdeoca
Villafranca to Burgos
Burgos to Hontanas
Hontanas to Fromista
Fromista to Calzadilla de la Cueza
Calzadilla to El Burgo Ranero
El Burgo Ranero to Leon
Leon to Hospital de Orbigo
Hospital de Orbigo to Rabanal del Camino
Rabanal to Ponferrada
Ponferrada to Trabadelo
Trabadelo to Triacastela
Triacastela to Portomarin
Portomarin to Melide
Melide to Pedrouzo
Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela

I met a lot of people and visited a lot of places. I love to walk for hours and hours and this is the right place.

Enjoy it.

Buen camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That wouldn't be enough time for me to walk that distance. I average 4km/h and my longest days were about 26 or 27 km - my average was more like 22km. Farther than that in a day and my feet are not happy and I couldn't keep it up day after day. I'm fit and I walk and hike a lot, but it wasn't until walking the Camino that I realized my distance limitation.

People's bodies react differently to all-day, day-after-day distance walking, so you have to work within your limitations. You may be totally fine averaging 30-35 km/day though. Unfortunately, you probably won't know until you get there and start walking - so like others have said, make contingency plans in case you aren't covering the daily distance you planned. Contingencies can be biking the meseta, taking buses in and out of the bigger cities to skip the industrial parts, or just skipping ahead some sections to stay on track.

Your plan has you doing Sarria to Santiago in 4 days. Aim to get 3 stamps per day on those days so there's no problem getting your compostela.

The rule requires 2 stamps per stage/day for the last 100 km, but most people take 5 days. Since you are moving fast, you may cause some confusion about having less than 10 stamps, so aim for a few more to show your progression.

Stay hydrated!!!

Your plan has you doing Sarria to Santiago in 4 days. Aim to get 3 stamps per day on those days so there's no problem getting your compostela.

The rule requires 2 stamps per stage/day for the last 100 km, but most people take 5 days. Since you are moving fast, you may cause some confusion about having less than 10 stamps, so aim for a few more to show your progression.

Stay hydrated!!!
This is a golden information.
I didn’t know that you need 2 stamps per day in the last 100km. 😱
So what’s about people that have a plan to stop only 3 days from Sarria to Santiago? You suggest to collect al least 3 stamps for day.
How can I do it if I will sleep only in one albergue at night? Three different albergues means only 3 stamps! 😱😱😱
Any advice?
What about during the entire Camino! One stamp at day will be enough?

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Before Sarria, where you sleep is enough although some people get stamps everywhere for fun.

Bars, churches, shops, pretty much everywhere has a stamp. When you pause for coffee, lunch, get a stamp.

Before Sarria, where you sleep is enough although some people get stamps everywhere for fun.

Bars, churches, shops, pretty much everywhere has a stamp. When you pause for coffee, lunch, get a stamp.
Heck, there are even people sitting by the side of the road offering stamps, especially in this section.

My only advice would be to allow yourself a bit of leeway for synchronicity and to pay attention to opportunities to find it. If you are solely focused on your agenda, you might miss the quiet moments you could have with your father. They could be invitations to pause where he did.

€46,-
Yes, throughout the Camino, 1 stamp per day is enough until you reach Sarria, then you need 2 stamps per day. The reason is that the Pilgrims Office wants to try to ensure that those who get their compostela really did walk the last 100 km (no buses, taxis, etc). People seem to average about 5 days between Sarria and Santiago. With your daily distances, you'll only have 3 days between Sarria and Santiago, which is less than average, and might result in questions about whether or not you walked the whole way or took transportation to jump ahead. Having 3 stamps per day on that section should show that you are walking.

My only advice would be to allow yourself a bit of leeway for synchronicity and to pay attention to opportunities to find it. If you are solely focused on your agenda, you might miss the quiet moments you could have with your father. They could be invitations to pause where he did.
Doesn’t matter how fast I will walk....... my dad will walk with me all my journey and he will give the strength and the joy.
Looking forward to stay one more time with him again!😉

Yes, throughout the Camino, 1 stamp per day is enough until you reach Sarria, then you need 2 stamps per day. The reason is that the Pilgrims Office wants to try to ensure that those who get their compostela really did walk the last 100 km (no buses, taxis, etc). People seem to average about 5 days between Sarria and Santiago. With your daily distances, you'll only have 3 days between Sarria and Santiago, which is less than average, and might result in questions about whether or not you walked the whole way or took transportation to jump ahead. Having 3 stamps per day on that section should show that you are walking.
Thanks for this information!!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pamplona to Lorca 37.9
Lorca to Los Arcos 30.5
Logrono to Azofra 35.5
Azofra to Beldorado 39
Atapurca to Burgos 20.2
Burgos to Hontanas 32.1
Trbadelo to Fonfria 31.1
Fronfia to Sarria 34.8
Castromaior to Melide 31

This is my itinerary 😉

So I looked at your plan and have some questions. Your stages are a bit uneven, your stops are there places you want to visit? Do you want to stay in the bigger cities? I would actually recommend a shorter first day unless you have a day or so before. Time difference etc. and then walk a little bit longer day 2 instead. Then the length would match your training days a bit more and you don't shock your body the first day (but you know your body the best). Have you checked the elevation maps for those days you have longer stages? Long and hilly at the same time can be a really long day as well as a 20 km on flat surface is a short 3,5-4 h and then you are done. A rest day :) For me it looks like a"normal" plan but make sure to listen to the body especially in the beginning. Towards the end your body is more used to the walking and the longer distances comes more naturally and some lost time in the beginning can easily be compensated then. I haven't had time to check all your stops but a good thing to do is to make sure that if you have a day close to 40 km make sure that your planned stop isn't one with a long stretch to the next available albergue (maybe never the case on CF) if you come late and it is "completo". Have done some 50+ due to that during my own caminos.

I did the same walk in 21 days. Possible if your pack weight is under 4 kg. Keep your pack weight low and you'll have no problems.

Pamplona to Lorca 37.9
Lorca to Los Arcos 30.5
Logrono to Azofra 35.5
Azofra to Beldorado 39
Atapurca to Burgos 20.2
Burgos to Hontanas 32.1
Trbadelo to Fonfria 31.1
Fronfia to Sarria 34.8
Castromaior to Melide 31

This is my itinerary 😉

You’re likely a young fit lad so go for it Andy T. I hope you keep us posted on how you go.
Life often takes control of plans and has fun with them and you’ll be grand with it all. The best of luck. Slainte.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Omg guys, I’m so excited!!!! I’m 8 days I will be in Pamplona to start my Camino😍
I am looking the weather in the last couple of days and it doesn’t look like spring time.😔 A lot of rain and low temperatures........ I hope it will stop soon for everybody and me

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good LUCK Andy, you can do it:) On my first Camino, I walked SJPP to Santiago in 25 days and had not planned to do that, it just happened that way. Some nights I was in so much pain, I didn't know if I could continue the next day but somehow, when I woke up, I felt almost (almost! ) new. Incredible feeling. I advise you to research some yoga style stretches for your back and legs and do these for 15-20 minutes every day after a hot shower.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I just arrived at Pamplona.
Tomorrow will be my first day .......
Looking forward for it
Andy, congrats. You are about to start on the journey of a lifetime. Take care, and you will achieve what you have dreamed of. Buen camino. Keep us up to date with your travels.

Thanks!!!
No the last 100Km is the most important to get the certificate. :)

regarding the bus, the best spotI can find for the bus is the approach into Leon, keep that in your mind if, for whatever reason, you need to 'make up time'
For me it was the bus leaving Leon!😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back