• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking a small part of the camino

sweedy

Time of past OR future Camino
planning to walk the camino portugese (2016)
hello everyone!~
i intend on walking 4 to 5 days out of porto, just for the hike.
i have a few questions i havent managed to find answers to.
i was thinking of doing the coastal road from porto up to caminha, is that a good plan for this
time? or can someone recommend something else
should i start in the cathedral or take the bus out of town? if so, where to?
and lastly, as i travel with 2 bags, where can i deposit one of them?
i will be starting oct 25th if someone cares to join!

thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good idea to walk to Caminha. Depending on the weather.
Alternative is to walk from Porto along the coast to Vila do Conde and head for the Central route.
Other idea walk the Central route as far as casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães.
It is the best of the everything to stay there and easy to get back to Porto.
Ask of Jacinto , husband of Fernanda , gives you a lift back to Barroselos to the trainstation there in the morning when he goes back to work or take a taxi from Fernanda's .
Beautiful route.
If it is too windy at the coast take the metro direction Póvoa da Varzím till stop Vilar do Pinheiro and after a few hundreds of meters you can pick up the waymarkers direction Vairão, Vilarinho and if you like to São Pedro de Rates .From there to Barcelos (is not the same as Barroselos as mentioned here above) and from there to Fernanda. Eventually you could walk from there to Ponte de Lima and take the bus back to Porto .
Leave your bag in Porto in the hotel you stayed and pick it up when you come back .

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!
so just to understand, i was thinking of either
1) if wheather allows it - doing porto- p.de verzim- esposende-viana do castelo-caminha.
2=) if not - central way from porto up to ponte de lime or valenca (i might stop where you said).

either way « should i start from the cathedral or take a bus or the metro elsewhere? i prefer not walking the highway
as i have only few days

thanks you very much

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the quick reply!
so just to understand, i was thinking of either
1) if wheather allows it - doing porto- p.de verzim- esposende-viana do castelo-caminha.
2=) if not - central way from porto up to ponte de lime or valenca (i might stop where you said).

either way « should i start from the cathedral or take a bus or the metro elsewhere? i prefer not walking the highway
as i have only few days

thanks you very much
I do not know how many kms a day you like to walk .anyway out of Porto to Vila do Conde on the Coastal is 30 kms
If you like to walk the original Central route out of Porto I suggest to take the metro to Vilar do Pinheiro as mentioned in my first post.
From there to São Pedro de Rates is about the same distance

Hello Sweedy.
I walked from Porto to Caminha and then up to Valenca/Tui back in May/June.
It is a lovely walk and I would recommend walking from Porto - simply following the coast line around. It is a long walk but very pretty and interesting. It is quite well way-marked with plenty of stops for coffee etc.

Most of the walk is on footpaths etc but there are certain sections over timber boardwalks along the edge of the beach. Simply lovely views and very comfortable underfoot.
Enjoy
Mel

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back