• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking after a broken ankle

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk around 2022
So my Camino is still a long way off, but last August I badly dislocated and complex-fractured my ankle, which has turned out to be a bigger deal than I ever expected. I’m told it will take at least a year to recover completely, and that some people never fully recover from pain and swelling. I’ve had my first airplane flight and heavy walking trip since the break, with disastrous results - heavy swelling, neuropathy in the foot (numbness, tingling), and pain, to the point that I spent my trip using an electric scooter and needed a week of bed rest to recover.

I am hoping that a couple years in the future things will be better, but wondering if anyone else has walked the Way after an ankle fracture and what worked and didn’t work for you.

Thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I broke bones in my foot, not my ankle, and it was a long time ago. But I find that even now it doesn't take a lot to aggravate that area. I have to make sure that shoes never press on it, and it helps to have expert shoe buying advice, our local store is owned by a guy with good bio mechanics knowledge. Unfortunately the shoes that work the best for me are expensive and wear out quickly, but that is another story.
Walking poles have helped, and putting my feet up when I can. I built a high foot rest under my desk, which was awkward, but worked.
Talk to your doctor about whether compression socks will help. I find that if I have to fly any distance to get there I use good quality compression socks, so I don't have swollen feet to begin with. It really does make a difference for me.
I still have numbness after a days walking sometimes, especially on hard surfaces like concrete and tarmac.

Last edited:
So my Camino is still a long way off, but last August I badly dislocated and complex-fractured my ankle, which has turned out to be a bigger deal than I ever expected. I’m told it will take at least a year to recover completely, and that some people never fully recover from pain and swelling. I’ve had my first airplane flight and heavy walking trip since the break, with disastrous results - heavy swelling, neuropathy in the foot (numbness, tingling), and pain, to the point that I spent my trip using an electric scooter and needed a week of bed rest to recover.

I am hoping that a couple years in the future things will be better, but wondering if anyone else has walked the Way after an ankle fracture and what worked and didn’t work for you.

Thank you!

Ankle fractures and recovery are different for each individual; the complications and extent of the injury can be extremely varied.

As an example, my wife's best friend broke hers over 15 years ago, but developed RSD which has been a horrible complication that won't resolve.

Five years ago, while playing fetch with my 98 pound Giant Schnauzer/ Black Lab mix (OK, he's a mutt), he ran headlong into me at high speed which caused a compound fracture requiring open surgery for reduction and the installation of plates and screws, which still remain.

I recovered nicely, and was backpacking again within 4.5 months. I was scrupulous in following recovery guidelines, going to physical therapy, and keeping the ankle increasingly mobile as recovery protocol allowed. I have had no complications, although every once in a while, I feel soft tissue pressure (not pain) from the hardware that's still in there. If that ever becomes too bothersome, I can have it removed.

Since that injury, I have backpacked the entire PCT and Colorado Trail, and have done hundreds of other backpacking miles. No special braces or supports. I walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Burgos last September, and will go from SJPdP to Roncesvalles again, then on to Burgos and walk to Leon where I will meet my son. We will then walk together to SdC (God willing).

As I said, each recovery is different, and my story is just one possible outcome. But my prayers and encouragement are with you; be assertive with your provider to have your concerns answered, be consistent with your physical therapy, and make sure your surgeon lets you know what is normal discomfort as you are becoming more physically active, and when you need to back off from exercise and weight bearing and to contact him.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thank you!
oh my goodness! I have nothing to offer, save that I am six weeks into recovery from a similar fracture. Now 71, maybe I have to give up hopes of another Camino, but I'm still aiming to recover. Prayers for your future!

Ankle fractures and recovery are different for each individual; the complications and extent of the injury can be extremely varied.

As an example, my wife's best friend broke hers over 15 years ago, but developed RSD which has been a horrible complication that won't resolve.

Five years ago, while playing fetch with my 98 pound Giant Schnauzer/ Black Lab mix (OK, he's a mutt), he ran headlong into me at high speed which caused a compound fracture requiring open surgery for reduction and the installation of plates and screws, which still remain.

I recovered nicely, and was backpacking again within 4.5 months. I was scrupulous in following recovery guidelines, going to physical therapy, and keeping the ankle increasingly mobile as recovery protocol allowed. I have had no complications, although every once in a while, I feel soft tissue pressure (not pain) from the hardware that's still in there. If that ever becomes too bothersome, I can have it removed.

Since that injury, I have backpacked the entire PCT and Colorado Trail, and have done hundreds of other backpacking miles. No special braces or supports. I walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Burgos last September, and will go from SJPdP to Roncesvalles again, then on to Burgos and walk to Leon where I will meet my son. We will then walk together to SdC (God willing).

As I said, each recovery is different, and my story is just one possible outcome. But my prayers and encouragement are with you; be assertive with your provider to have your concerns answered, be consistent with your physical therapy, and make sure your surgeon lets you know what is normal discomfort as you are becoming more physically active, and when you need to back off from exercise and weight bearing and to contact him.
Good to hear this. I am beginning to recover from exactly the same (labrador/poodle cross - v heavy fast dog). I am six weeks in! really worrying about future walking. Thanks for posting.

As stated above, and it bears repeating, all breaks and recoveries are different. But here's my story.

I basically shattered my right ankle about 8 years ago. Even my surgeon said it was much worse than expected once he began operating. I jokingly tell people now I'm a walking ACE hardware store. Any size screw or metal pin you need -- I got It! :)

It took me a good year-plus to feel fully recovered. Six months post surgery it was still difficult to wear regular shoes for any length of time.

But eventually, recover I did. One day I realized I hardly ever thought of my ankle at all. Now, occasionally when the humidity is high, I realize my one ankle is a bit swollen. And only then do I remember why. That's about it.

Two years ago I walked SJPP-Burgos with absolutely no ankle issues whatsoever (blisters and sore feet, on the other hand .... o_O). I leave this weekend for 5 weeks on the Camino, no ankle troubles at all in my training walks with full back pack, varied terrain, both shoes and boots, all kinds if weather. I am 66.

I wore low boots my first time out. Not because of the past injury, but because my ankles have always been wobbly. I will probably take them again, but have successfully walked 10-12 miles in trail runners. Ironically, the ankle with all the hardware is the stronger of the two.

So long story short -- give yourself time. Your body continues to heal for a good year after a break. Do everything you doctors and physical therapists tell you. Get professional advice on your footwear. Work up to things bit by bit.

And most of all, Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I broke my left ankle water skiing years ago. My rear foot slipped out of my high wrap bindings while laying into a turn. The left ankle spun like a top. I had to have an open reduction with pins. The pins were taken out about 6 months later. I exercised it as much as possible. I was water skiing the next year. The only residual effect that I have is that my left ankle is now physically bigger than the right, and I have lost about ~5-10° of flexion and extension. It's just the way the bone reformed around the break. It does not cause me any pain, swelling, etc. I think the key is to rehab according to instructions and DO NOT overdue. The bone will heal quicker than the surrounding soft tissue (tendons). Use your trekking poles every day on the way (rhyme intended).

I pray that you will be healthy and strong for your Camino.

¡Buena Suerte Peregrina!:D:cool:

I broke mine in my early 40's and walked the Pyrenees a few months after the plaster came of with the aid of a walking stick, foolish maybe but certainly painful. None the less 25 years later I have no problem walking with heavy loads over rough terrain without a stick. Maybe just lucky but certainly worth going for it. My tip take is to take it easy and make full use of the stick

Michelle, for what it's worth, I'm doing the math on healing. I had surgery in September, yours was in August, it's now April. I remember trying to put on a pair of 1-inch wedge heels for Easter Mass that April. I gingerly slipped my foot in, took one step, and almost yelled out in pain. So much for that. (Even though I'd been managing in flats. Now and then.) Don't be discouraged by your experiences so far. Give it time. Wishing you all the best.

And PS -- yes, definitely, use poles. :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was 71 years old and broke my right ankle in 2014 on day 3 of my VDLP Camino starting in Seville. I was taken by ambulance back to a hospital in Seville where they operated inserting a plate and 9 screws to fix it. A week later I returned to my home in USA. My orthopaedic doctor there told me the operation was perfect and the following year I walked the Camino Portuguese with my wife and a year later completed the VDLP.
Perhaps I was lucky and I still feel stiffness in my ankle which gets better after I walk on it so don't give up! Even after 70 life can go on almost as before.

I broke my ankle about five years ago. It seems to have healed perfectly, I'm not aware of it at all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for asking Michelle.. I also broke my ankle last August and am full of plates and pins and still stiff and swollen 9 months later. I don't know if I will ever be able to walk another camino but feel inspired and hopeful from the answers people have given

Just before Christmas 2016, I stepped in a hole in the grass while walking the dog and broke my ankle. Stable, simple break of the tibia, nothing like what you did, Michelle. I was given the choice of plaster or rest for 6 weeks. I chose the rest option because I was booked to walk the CF starting from SJPdP on 2 April 2017 and I know first hand what happens to your muscles when you have to wear a plaster for 6 weeks. All the time I was still caring for my 96 year old mother and my brother’s dog but I did rest as much as possible.

I got medical advice about the advisably of walking 800 km 3 months after breaking my ankle and was told it would strengthen it. It did. By Santiago my ankle was less painful and had regained some flexibility.

The best thing I did before the camino was start swimming again as soon as the 6 weeks were up. I also did ankle exercises. My favourite was writing ABC in the air with my toes. This exercise was recommended by my osteopath. Apparently this combination takes your ankle through its full range of motion. The other important exercise was standing on one leg. I did it multiple times a day whenever I thought of it. And when you get good at doing it, roll up a towel and stand on one leg on the towel. It makes balancing even more of a challenge. Needless to say do it near a wall so that you can put a hand out and stop falling if you lose your balance.

Over 12 months and I still do those exercises three times a week after swimming. My ankle is pretty much back to normal except that it is bigger than the other and probably always will be.

Best wishes for a healthy recovery.

Just an update to this post and a thanks again for your encouragement: it’s just about my one year anniversary of the accident, and I’m feeling much more confident about my future Camino. I was diligent about physiotherapy, and I still “draw the alphabet” with my toes every chance I get.

I’ve purchased a really good treadmill, since I’m a fat girl to start with and gained lots more since the accident. Now on a mission to reduce that weight over the next 18 months and build muscle strength. Walking 3-5 km feels good and the foot aches a little sometimes, but nothing major.

I can definitely see the Camino in my future!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Camino (SJPDP-Santiago) May9-June 10, 2018. Since I am of Medicare age, I had knee injections (synvisc) one month prior, so I was prepared to do the 790 KM. Unfortunately my last 6 days, descending from Triacastela too fast I sprained my right ankle. The next morning it was the size of a grapefruit. So the Pharmacy offered me "Heavy duty drugs" basically Tylenol/codiene
and I (determined) walked the 100km remaining to Santiago de Compostela, slowly.

Ps I did have several friendly Pilgrims slow down to walk the trail at my pace, bless them and the inflammation finally subsided after my return to Houston. Walking on a sprain ankle...1. Go slow, 2. Use Hiking Poles, 3 Listen to your body, a day or two of rest..perfectly okay. Ice at times during the day and eve (The tapas bars will give you ice because they feel sorry for your condition) and 4 Buen Camino!!!!!!!

Yes, I am doing it again next year.

Try local walking trekking for at least 1 year before even considering camino

Thank you!
Hi Michelle, I'm 65 and broke my ankle about 20 years ago - shattered I should say. I have a plate and 9 screws. My cartilage was severely shredded. I was living in Germany at the time and started volksmarching weekly 10K about a year after my surgery. Since then I have walked in the Austrian Alps, along the Rhine Valley, and closer to home in the hills of the Monadnock Region of Southern NH. My ankle has succumbed to arthritis and I am going for joint replacement in a couple of months. I felt the call to go on the Camino in April of 2013 but was hesitant. It kept calling. I did my research and obtained a credential - preparing. I finally made the decision to go April 2018, booking my flight for the last week of September to return after 2 weeks. I decided because I was solo and a little handicapped to just go from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. It was the best decision I have ever made. Not just for the walk but for the experience of meeting so many wonderful people. My surgery will take from 6 months to a year to recover. I am setting a goal to do another section of the Camino in 2021. God bless. you can do it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife broke bones in her foot soon after Roncevalles, as later verified by the orthopedic surgeon and an MRI back in that States. She taped her foot and walked the rest of the Camino to Santiago. My wife is my hero :D and one tough Lady ! The following year we walked the Frances once more and will do the Camino Frances and Via de la Plata in 2020 We took 2019 off so I could get multiple knee operation (3) and a shoulder operation to get ready for the new treks. You can do the most amazing things when you decide to.

Hi Wayfarer. I did see that but for some reason that thread came to me so I figured I would add my encouragement since she plans her Camino in 2022. It took me 5 yrs. To answer the call. I say we are on God's clock. So hopefully she will see that everything is possible with God. Blessings to you. Betta

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Reading this thread gives me the shivers!! You all have had some horrific accidents! GAAAHHHH!! o_Oo_Oo_O
Good for you for doing what you can to recover and heal, and getting out on the trail.

oh my goodness! I have nothing to offer, save that I am six weeks into recovery from a similar fracture. Now 71, maybe I have to give up hopes of another Camino, but I'm still aiming to recover. Prayers for your future!
But just to add, 18 months on, that the recovery from double displaced ankle fracture has been COMPLETE.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My mom and I were beginning our Camino in Pamplona this morning, 5.7 km in she broke her ankle. Glad we got the trip medical insurance as we now have to fly home so she can have surgery. She is already plotting when we’ll be coming back.

She finds all the successful ankle recovery stories really helpful right now.

Just an update to this post and a thanks again for your encouragement: it’s just about my one year anniversary of the accident, and I’m feeling much more confident about my future Camino. I was diligent about physiotherapy, and I still “draw the alphabet” with my toes every chance I get.

I’ve purchased a really good treadmill, since I’m a fat girl to start with and gained lots more since the accident. Now on a mission to reduce that weight over the next 18 months and build muscle strength. Walking 3-5 km feels good and the foot aches a little sometimes, but nothing major.

I can definitely see the Camino in my future!
Hello! I’m just wondering if any of you with similar injuries still have circulation problems. I earned an open, compound ankle fracture late June ‘23. Even doctors have gasped at the X-ray. I know I need at least a year, but my big concern at the moment is circulation. I can’t do much without swelling. Have you seen circulation improvement with time and increased activity? I’m trying not to be discouraged, so I’m heartened by everyone’s stories. Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back