• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking after hip replacement

jimb01930

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Pamplona (Sept - Oct 2012)
Caminho Portugal from Lisbon (Aug-Sept 2013)
European Peace Walk - Vienna, AU to Trieste, IT (2014)
Via Fracigena - Sienna to Rome (2015)
Howdy everyone!

My wife, Pat and I walked Camino from Pamplona in 2012 and from Lisbon in 2013. Last year we did the first European Peace Walk. Now I am having a hip replaced next Monday as I am bone on bone.

Has anyone walked Camino after having a hip replaced? How long did it take from your procedure before your were able to walk 20K ? Any tips on recovery would be appreciated.
Thanks !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Jim, not sure about hips but my husband, Mike, got a new knee last September. We head off next month to walk from Porto and then the Ingles and, hopefully Finisterre and Muxia. I'll let you know how he goes!
Jacki.

Hi jim
Took about 2 months from the actual op til I felt capable of commencing daily training with increasing distances and difficulties.
The problem of course is the lack if exercise before the op and for the two months after.
Whatever, I have now done the Camino Frances twice with no problems with two new hips.
Welcome to the tin hip club.
Gerard

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Howdy everyone!

My wife, Pat and I walked Camino from Pamplona in 2012 and from Lisbon in 2013. Last year we did the first European Peace Walk. Now I am having a hip replaced next Monday as I am bone on bone.

Has anyone walked Camino after having a hip replaced? How long did it take from your procedure before your were able to walk 20K ? Any tips on recovery would be appreciated.
Thanks !
Jim, I am hoping all goes well with the surgery because I want you to lead us on another Dogtown walk! Lots of healing energy coming your way.

I had a partial replacement of my left hip and I'd say at least six months. It was a year and a half after my surgery before I went, but that had to do with my situation--I could have gone earlier. It will take a couple of months to recover and then you should do some low impact exercises like swimming or biking at first to get in shape.

Thanks everyone! I would be grateful to get any tips and shared experience hiking after hip replacement.

There seems to be a lot of info out there aimed mainly at folks who are very old and/or not walking much. I did eight miles on Saturday (Yep, the Dogtown Walk) so I have been trying to walk through the pain. Doc said I could stay on the couch and be in pain or I could walk and be in pain, my choice.

We are hoping to walk a Camino in September or October. My hip gets replaced next Monday, April 27th.
Am I being unreasonable?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We are hoping to walk a Camino in September or October. My hip gets replaced next Monday, April 27th.
Am I being unreasonable?
Definitely Not.
A couple of months to get over surgery and get the muscles working. (You will be street walking during this time)
Then a couple of months to complete a Camino fitness plan.
You'll be bounding across Spain fuelled by great food and fine wine.
Good on ya cobber.

You have plenty of time to recover, restrengthen your muscles and get ready for your Camino in September/October, Jim! Enlist the services of a Physiotherapist post surgery. You will be ready by then. All the best.

Too late to turn back now. I had the total hip replacement of my right hip on Monday. You actually get to get up off of the operating room gurney and walk into your room! Doing my physical therapy and walking. Today , Friday, I did 2 walks of 1/4 mile each on crutches. Every step is an adventure. . . I may chronicle my progress in this space in the hopes that it will encourage those who may have to follow this path.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One week after surgery. The pain levels have finally started to back off a bit. I had thought after release from hospital that every day I would feel a little better. That is true for range of motion but not for pain. It seems my body took a few days to say "Hey, what have you done?" and reacted with increasing swelling and cramps. Ice is my best friend. I can now walk 1/4 mile uninterrupted with crutches. One step at a time .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In Ledigos (after Carrion de los Condes) I met a 70 year old British doctor walking with his long time buddies - said he was out testing his replacement hip and two new knees ...

He told that in order to not be a potential burden to his companions, he always made sure to carry the phone number for a local taxi company. At the time I met him, he had not used it as yet! - and had put quite a fair bit of kilometres under his belt by then ...

So take courage, Jim! I am sure you can do it too! - Buen camino,

annelise

Thanks for the encouragement all! Ten days out from surgery and I am a bit down today, Your support helps. I am still limited to about 1/4 of a mile per walk twice a day. The entire back of my leg has turned black/blue/purple with bruising but nurse says this is not unusual. I have come back from tougher situations but I was younger then. I once had my left leg ripped off and reattached in a motorcycle accident. That was before I walked three caminos.

There is a lot of info out there for folks coming back from hip replacement but a lot of it is for older and/or more sedentary folks. I am writing here that others can look in as they go through this process and get a different understanding of what is involved than they may get from a pre-screening class that is essentially a sales pitch for hip replacement.

My wife and I intend to walk a camino this fall. My nurses think the idea of doing 500 miles in 20 mile days six months after the operation is overly ambitious but they might say the same for healthy people.

At first I overdid my exercise and walking a bit too much. This resulted in a greater range of motion but brought a boatload of pain with it. I have now backed off and am doing a bit less than the physical therapist has prescribed. I have about 20 different exercises to do and I am supposed to do them 3x day but am only doing 2x. Walking is encouraged up to one half hour a day after one month. I am hoping that once the swelling and bruising go down I will be able to start lengthening my walks.

I am now allowed to hobble around in the house using one crutch but must use two outside. Falling and dislocating the hip now is frowned upon. My next goal is to be able to walk one half mile by the end of next week.

I know I should be right sized in my efforts and expectation but it is beautiful spring here in New England and I want to get moving.

At first I overdid my exercise and walking a bit too much.
My first hip replacement I did the same. With similar results. I learnt that the cut muscles need time to heal before subjecting them to sustained movement. In the two following hip replacements I took it really easy the first couple of weeks, then started the steadily increasing exercise programme.
I did also "Pop" my first one. Now that's not a lot of fun.
Glad all seems to be progressing well.
Regds
Gerard

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you have the same kind of post operative response with a knee replacement? I've heard that this is actually more of a problem in recovery.

Do you have the same kind of post operative response with a knee replacement? I've heard that this is actually more of a problem in recovery.
Hi Annie,
I have not experienced a knee replacement, but I have witnessed a few. The recovery does appear to be much more painful resulting in some patients not doing the recommended exercises. This results in an unsatisfactory recovery after which the patient complains that the operation was not successful.
I have heard surgeons complaining of being blamed for an unsatisfactory result when in fact the result was due to the patient not following instructions.
Regds
Gerard

Day 12 post op

Hi Annie,

A friend of mine had a knee replacement a few days after I did my hip and we have been comparing notes. From what I gathered the knee and the hip are two different animals post op. The hip pain is very "crampy" and stiff feeling. My natural response is to want to walk it off. My friend's knee pain makes him want to protect it and baby it. He really has to will himself through physical therapy where I am climbing the walls wanting to move. I have to restrain myself. He has to force himself. Now this is less than two weeks out from operation for both of us and I do not think things will remain the same forever but this is where we are now.

I got permission from PT to walk with a cane yahoo! What my life has come to. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/healthy-aging/multimedia/canes/sls-20077060 I actually have an old shillelagh that has been in the family for generations to use. Can my walking sticks be far behind.

Still limiting myself to 1/4 mile walks twice a day along with all the suggested PT exercises. Planning on going 1/2 mile on Monday to celebrate two weeks. Every step, every moment, an adventure.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My first hip replacement I did the same. With similar results. I learnt that the cut muscles need time to heal before subjecting them to sustained movement. In the two following hip replacements I took it really easy the first couple of weeks, then started the steadily increasing exercise programme.
I did also "Pop" my first one. Now that's not a lot of fun.
Glad all seems to be progressing well.
Regds
Gerard
OK, now, I have to ask . . . . How did you "pop" it?

OK, now, I have to ask . . . . How did you "pop" it?[/QUOTE
One week after the op I was invited to a 'Let's celebrate your new hip' party. I had been told not to sit on comfy type lounge chairs or sofas but that's difficult when there's nothing else. Wound up on the floor. Blimey did it hurt. Surgeon attended the house at midnight (he'd been baby-sitting his kids while his wife was out) ambulance to hospital, woke up feeling hunkydoory again.
Regds
Gerard

Ouch ! I can see how that could happen. I walked my physical therapist through my house asking "Can I sit here?" over and over. I thing I have four places I can sit in the whole house and nothing outside.

How long before you no longer had be concerned about where you sat?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My husband just had his right hip replaced on 5 May, so I'm following this thread with interest.
Your mention of bad bruising & using ice, @jimb01930, is useful. We just started using ice yesterday.
Sadly, I can't get my husband interested in the Camino (although I'm still trying!!!) so I'm planning my first Camino in September on my own.
Keep up the good work (walk), @jimb01930
Suzanne :)

How long before you no longer had be concerned about where you sat?
My very experienced Phisiotherapist said I could consider using other furniture once I had gone one whole day without thinking about my new hip.
It turned out to be very good advice.
Regds
Gerard

Two Weeks Post Op

Sounds like a good gauge for when to sit low. Thanks Gerard !

Yesterday to celebrate two weeks I decided to force myself to walk to the local cafe, have a coffee, and walk back. It is 1/4 mile (.4K) each way. I really had to push to do it as I felt remarkably weak but I had just the normal amount of pain. What a difference it made! My muscles got warmed up for the first time since the operation and the ease of motion got much better. I was sky high emotionally the rest of the day.

A word of caution: Everyone's journey is different .What works or does not work for me may not be true for the next person. I am writing this account of my recovery so others might benefit from my experience and to encourage myself to keep at it. In recovering from major leg trauma in the past I have learned that where my head is at is as important as where my body is. At this point I do not know I will be able to walk a camino in the fall. But that is the goal.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Three weeks post op

I just got back from my attempt to walk one mile. I got strange pain after about twenty minutes walking and had to turn back .I figure I just did about one kilometer.My pace is very slow. I used to walk about 3 mph but I am nowhere near that now.

Part of the problem is I have been limping for about two years prior to the operation; yes, even on camino. I always used walking sticks. After my physical therapist said I could try walking with a cane instead of crutches, I tried the cane for about one day before moving on to my beloved sticks.

Using the sticks I found I was returned to my habitual pattern of walking. In other words I was just limping along at a slightly faster pace. In order to walk more mindfully I have ditched the sticks and I find myself paying more attention to posture and stride as I walk unaided. My gait is uneven and I am walking slightly pigeon-toed. I have to really concentrate to walk correctly. Doing so involves using leg muscles in a different way than they have been accustomed to, so muscles from my lower back all the way down to my feet sometimes protest.

For medication I am using ice and acetaminophen (Tylenol). I weaned myself off of the stronger narcotics (oxycodone) over the last week by gradually cutting back. Yes, everything still hurts a bit but I find I can meditate again now that the oxy is out of my system. Meditation is important to me. I know a lot of people struggle with taking pain medications and coming off of them. All I can offer on that front is, there is a difference between taking medication and doing drugs. If I am capable of being honest with myself, I know the difference.

I must admit I am very disappointed in falling short of the goal of walking one mile today and the way back was such a struggle that I was questioning the wisdom of having this operation in the first place. But there are little victories along the way as well. Today for the first time was able to sit on my meditation cushion on the floor and get back up. OK, not full lotus, nothing like that actually, but I got down and back up again. In the course of recovery there are dark times and light. I am where I am.

[...] My nurses think the idea of doing 500 miles in 20 mile days six months after the operation is overly ambitious but they might say the same for healthy people.[...]
I would agree with the nurse.;) Not only, but also advise to not do more than the last 100 kms to Santiago (from either Sarria, Lugo or Tui), in order to obtain your Compostela. It'll be hard enough on your body and the chances are that you would not manage 500 miles :mad: I've seen others try and do this and had to prematurely finish their adventure.:rolleyes: When the time comes, enjoy your Camino and listen to your body. :)

Hi Fraluchi!

Thanks for your opinion. I do not think we would fly from all the way from Boston simply to walk 100k for a third Compstela.

Could you be more specific as to why others had to prematurely finish their adventure? Dislocation? Fatigue? A specific injury? It would be helpful to know what has stopped folks who have had hip replacements in the past so I could pay attention to those areas in training. Thanks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... I do not think we would fly from all the way from Boston simply to walk 100k for a third Compstela.[...]
September/October as you no doubt know, are nice months in certain areas of Spain. In Galicia, however, the weather gets rainier as autumn proceeds, the narrow and slippery tracks over many steeper gradients, particular to this region, will have their toll:eek:. However, you appear to be an experienced walker and still have several months of training ahead. You are the best to decide for yourself whether a Camino of 500 miles is worth your while come September.;). Best wishes for a soon recovery.:)

One month post op

I am discouraged. I can walk one mile and every day I try to add 100 meters on but progress has slowed. My right foot turns inward (pigeon-toed) when I walk and mindful effort is required to walk with anything like proper posture. Walking and exercising cause a cascade of odd pains that clear as mysteriously as they begin.

I saw the doctor today for the first time since leaving the hospital. He thinks I am doing great and am ahead of the curve. It does not feel that way. I no longer require compression socks and am cleared to do yoga or any other position I care to try. NOTE: There are different approaches to this operation (anterior and posterior) so other's experience may be quite different. Please don't read this and think that because my doctor said this or that was OK now then your experience will be the same. Until this point I was forbidden to cross my legs or do exercise that pushed my foot backwards. I had the posterior operation and these restrictions go with that approach.

To keep my spirits up I have been web surfing various caminos and other hikes trying to decide which to aim for come October. My wife still walks to Rockport and back, 13 miles round trip, two or three times a week. I can't wait til I am able to do the same but I must . . .

Are you using walking poles?
I found they helped in maintaining the correct posture as I walked.
You will have good days and bad days. Comes with the territory.
Just keep at it without pushing too hard.
Regds
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One month post op

I am discouraged. I can walk one mile and every day I try to add 100 meters on but progress has slowed. My right foot turns inward (pigeon-toed) when I walk and mindful effort is required to walk with anything like proper posture. Walking and exercising cause a cascade of odd pains that clear as mysteriously as they begin.

I saw the doctor today for the first time since leaving the hospital. He thinks I am doing great and am ahead of the curve. It does not feel that way. I no longer require compression socks and am cleared to do yoga or any other position I care to try. NOTE: There are different approaches to this operation (anterior and posterior) so other's experience may be quite different. Please don't read this and think that because my doctor said this or that was OK now then your experience will be the same. Until this point I was forbidden to cross my legs or do exercise that pushed my foot backwards. I had the posterior operation and these restrictions go with that approach.

To keep my spirits up I have been web surfing various caminos and other hikes trying to decide which to aim for come October. My wife still walks to Rockport and back, 13 miles round trip, two or three times a week. I can't wait til I am able to do the same but I must . . .
I am just darn glad you are not letting it beat you down. Keep trying I think you will be glad to overcome the obstacle. All I can say is I respect your strength!
Keith

5 1/2 weeks out.

I was getting tired of myself sitting around the house whining. I felt I had a bit of a backslide this morning as I could not reach my foot to put my socks on. Maybe I woke up in pain because I slept on it wrong or perhaps it was from all the driving I did the last two days. I dunno. I cut the narcotic pain reliever out altogether and have been relying on acetaminophen (Tylenol) .

So I kinda got all wound up this morning feeling like I was not making progress. When I get like that I have to walk. I admit this does not make a whole lot of sense.

I grabbed my walking poles, put on my favorite sneakers and decided to walk to Rockport or bust. I made it, 3.5 miles (5.6k) which did my heart a world of good. Those woods may heal me. My hip, otoh, is now protesting and I am lying in bed with ice on it.

Interesting observation; while I was walking in the woods my groin would tighten up causing dramatic pain. I found if I sat on a rock for a minute or two the pain would subside completely and I would get another 15 minutes or so of easy walking in before pain returned. I could not sit much longer. I had not walked these woods since the week before my operation. I forgot the mossies are out in June . As always, your mileage may vary.

Today 3.5 miles was pushing my limits. But it was a start. A big hike in October is still not out of the question but it is by no means a certainty. That's what makes all this an adventure!

6 weeks out

Major setback - I was walking up some stairs using both legs like one normally would and got sudden sharp pain all around my hip and groin. Been putting ice on it since and am back on narcotic pain reliever, dammit. I can walk around the house now but that is about it.

I may have torn my piriformis muscle or one of the other small rotator muscles near it. Some surgeons do not even bother to sew these back together as they may impinge on the sciatic nerve.

I feel as if I am back to about week 2 in recovery.Perhaps the hike and the exercises I have been doing was too much too soon. Still hopeful, but not happy.

10 weeks out

I am making progress but it a slow go. I have been totally off the pain relievers for three weeks now so that's the good news. I can walk about two miles uninterrupted. Physical therapists see me twice a week and I am faithful to the exercise program they give me. Pain is still greater than it was prior to the operation. Range of motion is good.

At this point camino in the fall seems doubtful . I don't think I will be able to train seriously until the end of July at the earliest (3 months out) . I know that when I was healthy training for my previous caminos I needed two to three months to prepare. So that would mean a October start at the earliest. We walked camino in October before and it was lovely but we started mid September. Perhaps we will walk Italy or someplace a little warmer in November. . .

Hi Jim,
Cliff fro Boston pilgrims, I met you , you were trying for your peace walk.
I had both hips fixed about five years ago, not replaced ( resurfaced) . Don't believe they are doing that very frequently anymore. Was very, successful for my situation. I walked the Camino France's (complete) 2013, Camino Portuguese Porto, Santiago, finnster to Musial last year. Walking Camino Baztan , to pomplona then to Santiago this September.
Just letting you know recovery is possible. What made the difference for me , ( dr. Very surprised at my recovery and success of operation). The secret ingredient.... Yoga! Find a good ( light or gentle ) yoga instructor. You will be amazed
How fast your body will respond, total body strength will improve immensely, balance ( necessary for walking ) , and reduce your intake. Prior to surgery I couldn't walk down the stairs in my house, hand over hand on the railing. I had to pick my leg up to place it in the car, could hardly press the accelerator. My leg muscle diminished from lack of exercise, I put on about 15 pounds, since I could hardly move. Believe me , yoga really make the difference. You have to commit to at least 10 secessions, because it is challenging. You,lol begin to see a difference in your, flexibility, overall strength, balance and especially in your mental attitude. Get a book, yoga for beginners, use that for reference , find a good instructor ( you don't want boot camp yoga instructor ). Vinyasa yoga, commit to 10 secession. You'll begin to see results. Ok amigo, hope this helped. Contact me through the Boston chapter, if you want my phone number, we can talk.
The turtle won,
Cliff

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3 months out.

Thanks Cliff! Great to hear from you! I have the great fortune to have a wife who is a wonderful yoga teacher. Between her and the physical therapists I have over an hour of exercises / asanas to do twice a day.

It seems to be helping but here, at 3 months, I still have a good deal of pain. My range of motion and strength are excellent, better than most according to PT and the surgeon but my pain level especially in the morning remains somewhat disabling. Bursitis may be the main problem now.

Doc says I still have lots of inflammation and doubled my anti-inflammation prescription. He gave me the go-ahead to start training! But, only on flat ground, ugh . . .

Pat and I are looking into walking the Via Francigena from around Florence to Rome in the fall. This gives me a solid goal so we shall see. I will see the surgeon again in six weeks so should know then if we can walk Italy.

So .... the surgeon cuts your hip open (muscles, tendons, various blood vessels), literally cuts your femur in 2, detaches your useless worn out femur head from all that holds it into the hip socket, literally hammers a brand new titanium (presumably) hip and femur extension into the old femur, glues it in place, uses multiple multiple sutures to put everything back together, blood vessels, tendons, muscles, skin and more skin ....... and 12 weeks out your are concerned about still having pain ( a sprained ankle can take 7 - 8 weeks to resolve pain from)!!! You are doing amazing ! Don't hesitate to take pain medications as prescribed because thats what they are there for and they do serve a valuable purpose. I do work in healthcare and people often stop taking analgesics far to early ... your body will let you know when you are done with them. just mho.

4 months out.

Well, now that you put it that way, ShellsG ! I guess I am disappointed with my progress based on the expectation level taught at New England Baptist Hospital Pre-Screening Class. They herd all the potential hip patients into a room and put on a show worthy of a real estate scheme . They emphasize things like "You will walk from your operating gurney to your bed immediately after your operation" (Of course you will. You will be so high from anesthesia you could easily jump out the window and not feel it) They really downplay the pain level and work required to come back from a hip replacement.

Part of the issue is patient expectations. Most patients who get this operation are not going to hike 8 miles (13km) the day before the operation and expect to be able to walk a Camino in six months. The average patient I've met is thrilled to be able to walk to his car. That said, if you are reading this and considering getting a hip replacement; if you can walk 8 miles (13km) then I would advise you to think long and hard before having it done.

My doctor has cleared me for walking but no uphill. Bending that rule a little (some hills) at this point I can walk the 8 miles with a light 5lbs ((2.3 Kg) pack or 4 miles (6km) with a 20 lb (9Kg) pack. At these distances I pay a price in hip and groin pain. The groin pain is the most common.

I have one month to get in shape now as we have booked a flight to Rome. We will start walking the Via Francigena on October 5th from Pisa to Rome. I will do as much of it as I can but will not be adverse to skipping a stage or two if I need a rest. More will be revealed . . .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
ShellsG gives a great description of what they have done to us!
Glad to hear you've booked the flights!
Hope it all comes together well for you.
I did the Frances September last year. I determined the fastest speed would be strolling. Had to train myself to slow down as I was full of enthusiasm. Had no trouble sending the pack ahead, taking a day or two's break, or even busing somedays.
Best of luck cobber
Buen Camino
Gerard

PS
I took anti inflammatory every morning with breakfast (50gram Voltarin) and often one again with dinner to ensure a good nights sleep and to enable some ongoing repair work.

Last edited:
Saw the surgeon and got a cortisol shot for bursitis in the hip and permission to train! Yippie! Italy here we come! (October 5 -28)

Started hot power yoga this week, (Thanks Cliff175) and it feels great.

I still have hip pain especially groin pain until I get warmed up and after between 8 to 10 miles.

5 months out

Well, the time to leave for the Via Fracigena is almost here. On my other walks I felt prepared. This time I am not so sure.
We land in Rome on Oct 5th and take a train to Florence where we spend a couple of days getting acclimated. On October 7th we go to Sienna where we will begin walking.
The first three days are long and hilly. after that it gets easier. I will not post updates here until I return.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
5 months out

Well, the time to leave for the Via Fracigena is almost here. On my other walks I felt prepared. This time I am not so sure.
We land in Rome on Oct 5th and take a train to Florence where we spend a couple of days getting acclimated. On October 7th we go to Sienna where we will begin walking.
The first three days are long and hilly. after that it gets easier. I will not post updates here until I return.
Best of luck Jim.
Hope all goes according to plan.
Buen Camino
Gerard

6 months out
jimVF.jpg

Well, we did it!
Pat and I walked the Via Francigena, aka The Camino to Rome, for about 300 km from Siena to Rome. Overall it was a splendid experience I recommend for any experienced pilgrim. Walking from Siena can easily be done in two weeks but we allowed three not knowing how my hip would limit me. In the end the hip was no problem at all and we ended up in Rome with a week to kill.

I did have some hip pain, mainly the groin pain when I started out each day but after a few kilometers my deep tissue got warmed up and I was able to walk pain pretty much pain free. I found going uphill easy and coming downhill difficult. My hip is actually causing me more pain now that I have been hanging around the house for a few days than it did when I was pushing it . . . Go figure.

I will see my surgeon in two weeks for x-rays and follow-up. He is particularly interested in how I make out as he has, until recently, been very conservative about bringing his patients along post -op. He used to have folks on crutches up to a month and have a generally passive rehab plan. If you followed this thread you can see I have been aggressive, a bit overly aggressive at times, in my recovery.

So, yes, it is possible to walk Camino six months out of hip replacement surgery for some people given their experience, condition, pain tolerance etc. As always your mileage may vary. There are more than one type of approach to hip replacement and I have no knowledge of whether the other approach would make this kind of recovery easier or more difficult. In the end I urge folks to work with their surgeons and physical therapists while holding lightly my ramblings here.

Buen Camino

6 months out
jimVF.jpg

Well, we did it!
Pat and I walked the Via Francigena, aka The Camino to Rome, for about 300 km from Siena to Rome. Overall it was a splendid experience I recommend for any experienced pilgrim. Walking from Siena can easily be done in two weeks but we allowed three not knowing how my hip would limit me. In the end the hip was no problem at all and we ended up in Rome with a week to kill.

I did have some hip pain, mainly the groin pain when I started out each day but after a few kilometers my deep tissue got warmed up and I was able to walk pain pretty much pain free. I found going uphill easy and coming downhill difficult. My hip is actually causing me more pain now that I have been hanging around the house for a few days than it did when I was pushing it . . . Go figure.

I will see my surgeon in two weeks for x-rays and follow-up. He is particularly interested in how I make out as he has, until recently, been very conservative about bringing his patients along post -op. He used to have folks on crutches up to a month and have a generally passive rehab plan. If you followed this thread you can see I have been aggressive, a bit overly aggressive at times, in my recovery.

So, yes, it is possible to walk Camino six months out of hip replacement surgery for some people given their experience, condition, pain tolerance etc. As always your mileage may vary. There are more than one type of approach to hip replacement and I have no knowledge of whether the other approach would make this kind of recovery easier or more difficult. In the end I urge folks to work with their surgeons and physical therapists while holding lightly my ramblings here.

Buen Camino

Congratulations @jimb01930 , a great achievement! Well done to both of you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well done jimb01930!
You are now a full member of the Pilgrim Tin Hip Club.
Regards and congratulations to you both,
Gerard

6 months out
jimVF.jpg

Well, we did it!

Buen Camino

Congratulations, Jim and Pat! Jim, you continue to amaze me. I did my second camino this spring - the entire Camino Frances, but You, Wanda, Lynette, and Nancy are pilgrims extraordinaire. I tip my pilgrim's hat to all of you. Hope to catch up to you on a future Boston Pilgrims' hike. Ultreia from Meg.

Congratulations Jim:) You've come a long way to show that careful will-power is key to success. :D Amazing indeed !

I guess the reason I had never looked at this thread was because I knew I wouldn't be able to answer any questions about hip replacements. I had no idea it was your chronicle of recovery after surgery, with its many ups and downs, doubts and setbacks -- this is quite a testament to your perseverance and determination, Jim. What a wonderful thread. It must be pat-on-the-back inducing for you to re-read this and see how you stuck with it when it was pretty grim. Many congratulations -- are you guys planning your next walk?;)

Thanks all! Yes. rereading this is quite a flashback. Something happens to memory and time when one struggles with pain and uncertainty. I wish I could everywhere and always be open to whatever presents itself without judgement but the truth is I fall short of that ideal and have times of frustration and let-down. Getting better at acceptance will be an ongoing process for me.

As to what's next, there is are two competing proposals right now. Pat is pushing for all of the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Siena and then train to Rome for the Holy Year in 2016. I think that is a bit much for us and next year Via Francigena may be crowded. I propose a more modest adventure, Le Puy or the Temple walk in Japan. We are blessed to even be in a position to consider any of these options!

Again thanks to all who participated in thread, prayed, or simply wished me well. It helps.

6 months out
jimVF.jpg

Well, we did it!

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congratulations ! I've been looking for information on the VF and your name came up. Im Cliff from Fall River, belong to the Boston Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino. Im thinking of walking the VF in 2017.
Just looking for some advice or recommendations you may have.
Buen Camino
Cliff

Hi Cliff, I PMed you on Facebook . VF is a great walk. You will love it.

Thanks all! Yes. rereading this is quite a flashback. Something happens to memory and time when one struggles with pain and uncertainty. I wish I could everywhere and always be open to whatever presents itself without judgement but the truth is I fall short of that ideal and have times of frustration and let-down. Getting better at acceptance will be an ongoing process for me.

As to what's next, there is are two competing proposals right now. Pat is pushing for all of the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Siena and then train to Rome for the Holy Year in 2016. I think that is a bit much for us and next year Via Francigena may be crowded. I propose a more modest adventure, Le Puy or the Temple walk in Japan. We are blessed to even be in a position to consider any of these options!

Again thanks to all who participated in thread, prayed, or simply wished me well. It helps.

Thanks for a great thread. 3 months out from hip replacement., I have booked a week in June on the camino. Slow but sure .. must try the yoga.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Pat and I are getting ready to walk again. Via De La Plata this time. Rereading this thread has been something else. Since I have had a hip replaced we have walked Camino Frances, Via Francigena (Sienna to Rome), and the South West Coastal Path (Minehead to Plymouth).

Three years later, I still have pain around the area of the replaced hip. Arthritis has shown up in my ankles, lower back, and hands. The doctor said, "How long did you have your hip?" "And your back?"

We do what can to fix what we can and accept what we cannot change. All I can say is, Keep moving. I know that when I first wake up I must push through some pain before I can get this old body to start to function properly. But after a while and a couple of miles, I feel good.

Buen Camino !

Last edited:
In Ledigos (after Carrion de los Condes) I met a 70 year old British doctor walking with his long time buddies - said he was out testing his replacement hip and two new knees ...

He told that in order to not be a potential burden to his companions, he always made sure to carry the phone number for a local taxi company. At the time I met him, he had not used it as yet! - and had put quite a fair bit of kilometres under his belt by then ...

So take courage, Jim! I am sure you can do it too! - Buen camino,

annelise
Hi Jim, this is my first reply just joined the club. I have been reading your progress and have to congratulate you. I had a broken femur that ended up to be a total hip replacement. Being an avid walker all my life, I was afraid of what to expect. Your pain on off days are normal I think if I sit and paint too long and it’s a less active day I’m taking ibpropian Not the best but it works. Hope your exrays go well.

Hi Jim, this is my first reply just joined the club. I have been reading your progress and have to congratulate you. I had a broken femur that ended up to be a total hip replacement. Being an avid walker all my life, I was afraid of what to expect. Your pain on off days are normal I think if I sit and paint too long and it’s a less active day I’m taking ibpropian Not the best but it works. Hope your exrays go well.
@Morninglory, welcome to the forum, and it's great that you have chosen to contribute. As you become more familiar with how information is presented in the threads, you will learn how to figure out whether the thread you are reading is current, or a little dated.

In this case, the entry before yours was in Aug 2018, and the bulk of the discussion took place in 2015, so the individuals concerned have moved on to some extent. But you will also find that there still those who have similar concerns about walking after their recovery from major joint surgery, and they will benefit from your insights about your recovery.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This has been a very interesting read for me, as I am into a lengthy wait for knee replacement surgery. It is difficult to know how to prepare for a camino with an increasingly painful and low-functioning knee and no suggestion as to when I shall get the surgery. Here in Calgary, one goes on the end of a very long list, now made even longer by most orthopedic surgery being cancelled during the pandemic. I have decided that, if I am still able to walk when I have been vaccinated for this virus, I shall plan and book my next camino if I have not received a date for the surgery. In the meantime, I do yoga exercises for an hour each day, which help immensely; I try to get out for a walk each day, and I control the pain though medication. I plan on walking the Levante, beginning the walk at Valencia. If I make it to Zamora, I may take public transit as necessary along parts of the rest of the route; I have previously walked the VdlP and I don't really need another compostella. Whether or when this will happen is unknown at present, so it is a time to try to keep active and to live in faith.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back