• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking After hip Replacement

Time of past OR future Camino
Levant from Avila 2013
Thanks to all and Buen Camino - I read of all the sucesses for TKN's, so I'm in mind of what's in my future. After fracturing my Pelvis badly in September, I am now informed that as it is not fully healed (at 31 weeks!), I have Traumatic Arthritis and I will need a full hip replacement later in the year. I am planning to walk the Primitivo in May should all go well. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had a new hip and walked successfully. Er - just found my earlier post on this exact same subject apologies for clogging things up with this - and thanks for all the earliercomments...... (just re-read)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Bob, I did Camino del Norte from Irún to Santiago de Compostela 10 months after my total right hip replacement without the pain or struggle of walking long distance. Like you, I wondered if I would be able to do it, thinking that if I couldn't I could simply bail out along the way. To my surprise the CDN became a dream come true:) Buen Camino, Bob!
Ultreïa!

Bob-- I had my right hip replaced a couple of years ago and my recovery was quick and the result is very good-- I'd say about 95% as good as my original hip. I think you'll be happy with your hip replacement and what you will be able to do. As for me, I'm preparing for my Camino by having bilateral knee replacement surgery in about a month. There will be a pretty demanding recovery and rehab period after the surgery, but my plan is to be ready to walk the Camino in spring 2019. Buen Camino and be well!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It is great to hear all the positive remarks. I have a hip replacement coming up in a few weeks. Perhaps my wishful thinking of walking next spring might happen - assuming a good recovery.
Thanks for the reassurance
Buen Camino
Dave

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.