• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking all the "Caminos"

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Saying "I am going to walk the camino" is a bit of a misnomer. There are about 15 routes in Spain - with another dozen variants - 7 or 8 routes in France and another four in Portugal, all recognized 'camino' routes. So, if you are planning on walking a camino a year, it will take you about 35 years to walk them all!

In 2003 you could log on to http://www.caminoasantiago.com/ and follow Carlos as he walked all 8 camino routes in Galicia: Camino Frances, Camino Ingles, Camino Portugues, Ruta del Mar Arousa, Fisterra, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo.

Here is a list of routes in France, Spain and Portugal: (For information on other 'compostelean' routes go to Peter's website: http://www.peterrobins.co.uk/camino/routes/)

FRANCE:

Via Gebennensis (350km - Geneva to Le Puy)
Via Turonensis (+970km Paris and Tours)
Via Podiensis (736km from Le Puy to St Jean)
Via Tolosana (905km; 745 km in France, 160 km in Spain - Arles)
Via Lemovensis (900km - Vezelay)
Chemin du Piemont (525km - Narbonne via Lourdes to St Jean)
La Voie Littorale (140km - Pointe de Grave)
La Voie de Soulac/La Voie des Anglais

SPAIN:

Camino de Andorra (Abalate to Fuentes de Ebro)
Camino Aragones (245 km – Somport – Puente la Reina)
Variante de Huesca y San Juan de la Peña (238 kms)
Ruta Sur del Camino Aragonés (Jaca)
Camino Frances (750 Kms - Roncesvalles)
Camino de la Costa (765 km – Hendaya)
Camino Vasco del Interior (210 km – Irun to Santo Domingo)
Ruta Vadiniense Picos de Europa (134 km – Potes a Mansilla de las Mulas)
Camino Primitivo (369 Kms -Oviedo)
Camino del Salvador (120kms - León a Oviedo)
Via de la Plata (676 km - Sevilla)
El Camino del Sur (184 km - Huelva to Zafra)
Camino Inglés (108 km - Ferrol)
Camino Catalán (480km - Montserrat to Logrono)
Camino del Ebro (219km - Tortosa to Logrono)
Camino de Valencia (863 km – Valencia)
Camino de Alicante (735 km – Alicante)
Camino de Murcia "Ruta del Azahar" (153 km – Cartagena)
Camino de Levante (900km - Valencia to Zamora)
Cami de Sant Jaume (251 kms – Barcelona)
Camino Mozárabe (347 km - Granada to Medellin)
Camino Sanabres (400km - Zamora)
Ruta de la Lana (380 Kms -Valencia to Burgos)
Camino del Maestrazgo-Bajo Aragón (497 kms – Castellón)
De Granada a Mérida (613 km )
De Málaga a Córdoba (190 km.):
Camino de Madrid (321km – Madrid to Sahagún)
Camino de Fisterra (141km – Santiago)
Camino de Invierno (A variant from Quiroga - near Ponferrada - to Montefaro)

Portugal
Camino del Interior (230 Kms - Oporto to Santiago)
Camino del Norte (170 Kms - Barcelos a Redondela)
Camino de la Costa (140 km - Oporto a Vila do Conde, y de La Guardia a Vigo)
Caminho Portuguese (1050km - Lagos)
Camino Portugués de la Vía de la Plata (268 km – Zamora)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are about 15 routes in Spain - with another dozen variants - 7 or 8 routes in France and another four in Portugal, all recognized 'camino' routes.
Yes, but actually your Camino starts outside your door. The route is chosen for convenience, speed, scenery or whatever, but actually this whole "walking the Camino" is a modern invention. You can bet your best socks that if you said to a twelth century pilgrim "we've got this metal tube, you get in this morning, in the afternoon you are at the tomb of St James, quick prayer then a night on the town, and home in time for evensong tommorrow" he would be saying "where's the airstairs?" before you could lace up your boots. :roll: The whole point was not to go for a long walk, it was to worship at the tomb of the Apostle. You got there by a method commensurate with your ability to pay.
Having said this, I have cycled from home and twice walked to santiago, so you may care to take all I say with a tiny pinch of salt.....

Yes, but actually your Camino starts outside your door
You are quite right Barbara.
However, for a peregrina who starts out from an African town on the Indian Ocean Coast, 6000km from Santiago, the journey proper has to start somewhere on the continent of Europe. She will obviously choose a route that she has read about, followed by others, written about by others, with monuments and churches to marvel at and refuges to shelter in.
The point I was making in my post is that to say "I am walking ]the camino" is a misnomer, because there are so many caminos - not just the camino frances.
I first read about the 'camino' from Paris in James Michener's book "Iberia". He wrote a vivid account of medieval pilgrims gathering under the chestnut trees outside St. Jacques de la Boucherie in Paris before embarking on their long journey south to the many shrines along the way and on further to the Pyrenees and Spain. (I chose that route as my 2nd camino).
In Walter Starkie's book, he writes about the gypsies of 'Little Egypt' coming from the east, walking along the footlhills of the Pyrenees and crossing at the Somport Pass into Aragon. (I have chosen this route for my 4th camino).
For my 5th Camino, I hope to walk the Camino Primitivo or "Original Way" named so for Alfonso II who first walked to Compostela in the 9th C after Jacob's body was discovered on the hillside.
Chaucer wrote of many different kinds of pilgrims - those who went on long journeys for pious reasons and those who went on long journeys for fun and adventure. I don't think too much has changed since those times!
Hugs,

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I did say take a pinch of salt. I walked the camino primitivo in 2004. I think you will like it.
Yes, of course some people treated it as a holiday, and some were doing it as a penance or as a proxy for others. But still......It was primarily a spiritual journey for most. And the pilgrim from anywhere still starts outside their own door, even if they get a taxi to an airport in Australia and a taxi from the airport in Santiago to the cathedral. If they choose to walk a part of the journey that is fine too, but they are still starting from home on what is now a somewhat different journey. No longer journey's end, but the walk in itself for most.

The point I was making in my post is that to say "I am walking ]the camino" is a misnomer, because there are so many caminos - not just the camino frances.

And I think what I am trying to say is that there IS only one camino. The one that you are doing. :)

Yeah, I see what you mean. I've been on my 'camino' for over 60 years!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola Javier!
The webmaster of American Pilgrims asked this question and so far he has not had any reply.

Can anyone provide information about waymarking (yellow arrows or other) on the
Ruta de la Lana? Information on the entire distance from Alicante to Burgos would be most
useful.

Should he ask the AASC in Burgos?

¡Qué les vaya bien!
Abrazos,

I'm sorry, I have many messages not read yet and I haven't read the his.

In the AGACS webpage (http://www.amigosdelcamino.com) you can see the whole Ruta de la Lana, but I'm afraid in spanish.

My good friend Paco Serra was working a couple of years ago with the GPS to mark all the possible points from Alicante to Burgos.

Hope it's useful for you!!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

PD: If someone can translate it to english would be great, for Paco and for everybody!!

Gracias Javier.
I have sent your message to the American Pilgrims webmaster.
Perhaps translating is something the American Pilgrims could help with? They must have many members who are bilingual and would be prepared to volunteer help with translating camino related text from Spanish to English.

Unfortunately there are not many Spanish speaking people in South Africa. We have large Portuguese communities thanks to a 15th C Pope sent all the Spanish sea explorers one way and the Portuguese the other!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks, Sil.

Paco is doing a great work for all Caminos, you can´t imagine so much. He has work to created many associations along the Camino del Sureste, marking the Camino del Sureste and the Ruta de la Lana, he is Hospitalero as well, and last week he was marking the Camino Portuguese between Lisbon and Porto.

Buen Camino. ¿When will you return to walk a new Camino? Please tell me know, will be a pleasure to meet you again!!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back