• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking alone?!

LucyL

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking in May "2017"
Hello!
I spontaneously decided a couple of days ago to start the Camino next week in SJPDP. I'm walking alone and am already feeling a mixture of apprehension and excitement.
But I keep seeing posts saying there's hardly any pilgrims walking at the moment/in August?!
The prospect of walking with a lot of people around me made me feel extremely safe.
But the thought of being alone is really worrying me a bit!
I guess I'm just curious to find out, from anyone in the know, is there really that few pilgrims heading out in August?
And if anyone women on here have walked alone, did you feel safe? I think I'm being a bit silly and just focusing on the negatives and all the worst outcomes, when I know in reality for nearly everyone it's a beautiful journey. I think just because I've decided to do it so off the cuff, and it's so soon, my brains going into overdrive!
SORRY FOR BABBLING.
Lucy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
August is HOT, so there are fewer pilgrims walking. But not zero. On the CF, I suspect you are in no danger of being actually alone, especially in the evenings. You may have a few minutes of walking alone in the course of the day, however, as the "pack" moves along with you at your pace. You will be amazed at how many people pass you when you stop for lunch, for example. The Camino has called you. Go, therefore, and walk. Just take your usual traveller's caution with you.

I don't know current stats, but I walked the SJPP stage the first days of October, two years ago, and always had groups of pilgrims in sight, sometimes even in a snaky row. In general terms, August is still peak season
upload_2017-8-2_18-13-3.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
During the Gold Rush in Australia in the 19th century it was claimed that gold was so ubiquitous that one could scarcely walk about the countryside without stubbing one's toe on a nugget.

I thus suggest to you that you will endure similar difficulties in avoiding fellow pilgrims as you walk the Camino Frances this August.

Have fun.

But I keep seeing posts saying there's hardly any pilgrims walking at the moment/in August?!
As @Anemone del Camino says, "few" is relative!

In September 2016, 4154 pilgrims received Compostelas in Santiago after walking from St Jean Pied de Port. Let's assume they started walking one month earlier, in August. That averages to 134 people/day starting in SJPP. Another 27/day started in Roncesvalles, and more people join all the way to Santiago. That counts only those people who picked up compostelas by the end of August. It will not be difficult to find company, especially if you start walking in the morning at the same time as everyone else!

Lucy,
I have walked alone all four times between 39-52, no problem. Felt very, very safe. The overall sense of community and safety are two reasons I returned thrice more. You will be okay. I walked in August, you will experience no dearth of fellow peregrinos.

The Pilgrim Conga Line! :cool:

AdC, you are incorrigible. Lucy, as you read posts note humor of pilgrims. These are the wonderful type of folks you'll meet along the way.
Buen camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lucy,
I have walked alone all four times between 39-52, no problem. Felt very, very safe. The overall sense of community and safety are two reasons I returned thrice more. You will be okay. I walked in August, you will experience no dearth of fellow peregrinos.
AdC, you are incorrigible. Lucy, as you read posts note humor of pilgrims. These are the wonderful type of folks you'll meet along the way.
Buen camino.
I'M afraid I have to admit it's not my line. :rolleyes: It's borrowed from @biarritzdon if I am not mistaken, who reported back when he walked/drove at the very start of the season last year or two years ago. He really should copyright it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of August 2017 i start walking VdLP.
Is there anybody who also start? I walk alone but hope there are other people in the neighbour.

Although this forum is wonderful, very few people that you will meet on the Camino are members, or even know about it. So, lack of posts about walking the Camino in August are no indication of how busy it will be.
I walked last year starting the last week of August, and found it busier than this year in July. Until I hit Sarria, that is. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Lucy,
I am a young female and I walked the CF alone in October last year. Like you, I was nervous before I started, but on the Camino I felt very safe and welcome. There were other pilgrims in sight most of the day, and I met many other solo female pilgrims and walked with them. In October, the early mornings were dark, so to be cautious I started a little later or walked behind a group when I was alone. The social aspect of the Camino turned out to be one of the things that I loved best from my trip. Buen Camino!

I'm currently on the del Norte route in soto de Luina. I started the day alone and was on my own for about 5 hours. I didn't see a soul. I stopped to drink for 10 minutes and I was passed by about 15 pilgrims! So in truth your never really alone. Buen Camino!

I'm currently on the del Norte route in soto de Luina. I started the day alone and was on my own for about 5 hours. I didn't see a soul. I stopped to drink for 10 minutes and I was passed by about 15 pilgrims! So in truth your never really alone. Buen Camino!

I miss it!!! K

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like someone above mentioned start early. I would guess 7:30 and you should see many more pilgrims than if you start later.
I started in Leon 11 days ago and now I'm in Samos.
I start around 9 but see many more pilgrims around 8 while I'm sitting having breakfast.

Hi Lucy,
I am a young female and I walked the CF alone in October last year. Like you, I was nervous before I started, but on the Camino I felt very safe and welcome. There were other pilgrims in sight most of the day, and I met many other solo female pilgrims and walked with them. In October, the early mornings were dark, so to be cautious I started a little later or walked behind a group when I was alone. The social aspect of the Camino turned out to be one of the things that I loved best from my trip. Buen Camino!
I will be walking alone in September, a gift to myself for making it all the way to 60. Like other women I've read on the forum, I'm a bit nervous and also excited. Now what I'm a bit more concerned about is that I really don't speak any Spanish beyond the most basic words. I only speak English and a bit of French. I'll bring a document with common phrases. I hope that will get me by. Did you speak Spanish?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll bring a document with common phrases. I hope that will get me by. Did you speak Spanish?

The list of common phrases was useful for me. Eventually, the list got longer and longer.

Hello!
I spontaneously decided a couple of days ago to start the Camino next week in SJPDP. I'm walking alone and am already feeling a mixture of apprehension and excitement.
The prospect of walking with a lot of people around me made me feel extremely safe.
I guess I'm just curious to find out, from anyone in the know, is there really that few pilgrims heading out in August?
And if anyone women on here have walked alone, did you feel safe? I think I'm being a bit silly and just focusing on the negatives and all the worst outcomes, when I know in reality for nearly everyone it's a beautiful journey. I think just because I've decided to do it so off the cuff, and it's so soon, my brains going into overdrive!
SORRY FOR BABBLING.
Lucy
Hi Lucy, I walked April and May this year on my own and I felt totally safe the whole way. You will meet lots of people and won't be totally alone in the fact that people are happy to walk with you or only 5 minutes away from you at any given time, there is another pilgrim around. Enjoy! I miss it so much, I really want to go back next year and do it all again but I'm from new Zealand's so it's a big trip. I'll have to convince my family first! Good luck :)) Rachel

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello!
SORRY FOR BABBLING.
Lucy

Hello Lucy: I too shall be venturing alone. Hope I shall navigate and make my way. I shall arrive in Pamplona on 16 August and, unless I connect with my Parisian friend for a short visit nearby, hope to begin my Camino on 17 August. Fingers crossed.

I start my first camino from SJPDP on August 16th and I am traveling on my own. As noted above, I'm fairly confident I will see lots of other pilgrims walking either before, beside or behind me... Hope to see you along the way!

I start my first camino from SJPDP on August 16th and I am traveling on my own. As noted above, I'm fairly confident I will see lots of other pilgrims walking either before, beside or behind me... Hope to see you along the way!

COOL :) I shall be dressed in black shorts and top with black pack and walking staff. Just loaded my image. Ciao, JMB

Attachments

• CaminoPrep.jpg
    CaminoPrep.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
COOL :) I shall be dressed in black shorts and top with black pack and walking staff. Just loaded my image. Ciao, JMB
Perfect! I will have a blue backpack with a Canadian Company of Pilgrims patch on it. Combined with my red hair and photo here I should be discernable... :)

Hello!
SORRY FOR BABBLING.
Lucy
I am starting my solo walk on 18th Aug. I did the last 100km as a warm up training last year in end of September 2016 from Sarria, which is about the same time i will be arriving to Santiago this year if I am on schedule. There were quite a number of solo women. So, I think you should be able to meet up with some people beginning their camino with you.

I will be walking alone in September, a gift to myself for making it all the way to 60. Like other women I've read on the forum, I'm a bit nervous and also excited. Now what I'm a bit more concerned about is that I really don't speak any Spanish beyond the most basic words. I only speak English and a bit of French. I'll bring a document with common phrases. I hope that will get me by. Did you speak Spanish?
I can only do English and Chinese. No Spanish. No French. I got by in 2016. You will get by. No worry. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As has been mentioned in the past on this forum, but worth repeating here, there is a wonderful FB Group called Camigas (Camino + Amigas) that is specifically for women walking alone...to help them connect with each other. You can find them here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CaminoBuddySystemForWomen/. The top post is a pinned link to their Excel doc, where you can get all sorts of info. Click on the "Camino Frances" tab at the bottom and you can see who is walking, where & when they are starting, other details about their walk, etc. Buen Camino!

Hello!
SORRY FOR BABBLING.
Lucy

Hi Lucy,
I'm coming from California and walking alone starting September 1st. So you won't be completely alone! I'm not feeling apprehensive at all. Although I will carry pepper spray...lol
Hope to meet you!
Buen Camino
Beth

€60,-

Yes, I do speak Spanish, but you can definitely get by with English. I think in some places I was received better because I could communicate in Spanish, so it's helpful to learn some polite phrases because locals do appreciate your efforts to try to speak some Spanish. Hospitaleros are used to having pilgrims from around the globe, though. In the countryside in Galicia I had trouble understanding people anyhow, so English was the way to go. You will be just fine!

Perfect! I will have a blue backpack with a Canadian Company of Pilgrims patch on it. Combined with my red hair and photo here I should be discernable... :)

Do you know how to do a private message so we can share emails and cells??

Do you know how to do a private messag

I just clicked on your screen name, and I think I sent you a private message with my name, email, and cell so that we can communicate en route. Ciao, JMB

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Lucy,
I'm coming from California and walking alone starting September 1st. So you won't be completely alone! I'm not feeling apprehensive at all. Although I will carry pepper spray...lol
Hope to meet you!
Buen Camino
Beth

Hope you enjoy and have a safe walk.
But be aware that in Spain is not legal to carry a pepper spray that is not certified by local authorities. The fine is 50 euros. Misuse may be charged with 300 euros. The legal product is sold in "armerías".
See this note (sorry, in Spanish)
Buen camino!

Hope you enjoy and have a safe walk.
But be aware that in Spain is not legal to carry a pepper spray that is not certified by local authorities. The fine is 50 euros. Misuse may be charged with 300 euros. The legal product is sold in "armerías".
See this note (sorry, in Spanish)
Buen camino!

Thank you Felipe,
For this helpful information. Are the armerias fairly easy to find.?
Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.