• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Alone

oomschluking

When I was 21 I took risks, because I didn't understand there WERE risks! Now I am 44, I wonder if I still can? Looking to hear from girl's who have done it alone! I'm now scared, where I use to be certain! Can a girl walk alone and be safe?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked parts of the Camino twice by myself 2 years ago (when I was 44) & I'm still around. :) There will be many others on the camino as you, especially if you are walking the Frances, so have no fear!

When do you start?

Kelly

I am 51 and walked from Le Puy to Santiago 'alone' last year, and never had any problems. You might find that 'alone' is not something that happens very often on the Camino Frances anyway. Partly that is because you might end up walking some of the time with others you meet, and partly that is because there are a lot of others walking, and someone is often within sight.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked it "alone" two years ago when I was 42 and I was never alone. You will meet people on the way and certainly every night. Do not have fear.

Austri

Be yourself.
Everything will be OK.
If you want to be alone while walking,it's possible. You can always catch up on others or drop back. Read lots of posts on this forum and I think you will get the true feeling that it's very safe for females venturing on this great adventure.
I had 2 short trips on the Camino and all solo pilgrim walkers felt safe and secure in their endeavours.
If at any stage you feel threatened, speak to other pilgrims.
Perhaps oomschluking will post back on Ivar's site?

Buen Camino

Edit. Forgot to alert you I'm male, hitting 50!!!

I woke this morning really excited! I am going to do a solo pilgrimage! May 2010! Thanks so much for all the encouraging responses. So looking forward to reading more on this forum!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked alone last year, turning 50 during the walk. I never felt scared, like the others said, there are many pilgrims along the path. Because I am a slow walker I often was the only one walking my bit of the path but never, ever did I feel scared. Don't worry, walking alone has lots of advantages and you will be just fine.

I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago the first time alone in 2007, the second time alone from Moratinos to Santiago and then on to Muxía and Fisterra in 2008, and am hoping to walk alone this summer (2009) as well. Now that I am here in Spain, I´ll decide which route although much depends on the health of my mother. I may have to go home. But either way it is quite safe. By the way, I´m 55.... :D
Buen Camino,

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Having now read a lot on this forum I must say, I am overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness expressed here - especially by the Veterans! Thank you!

You are not alone. You walk in the company of all those pilgrims who walked before you. Even on the Norte and primitivo, where you may well have an entire refuge to yourself. :)

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.