• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking an ancient pilgrims' trail, scientist savors ...

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 10365/1079

Walking an ancient pilgrims' trail, scientist savors world's variety

By Chuck Martin
Enquirer staff writer

Norma Lewis of Pierce Township is feeling fresh and invigorated after a long summer walk. Lewis, 66, walked the Camino de Santiago in Northern Spain by herself, beginning June 6 and finishing her 539-mile journey July 16.

The Camino ("road") de Santiago is an ancient pilgrimage trail used for more than 1,000 years by those who believe the bones of St. James the disciple are interred in a cathedral in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Lewis' route took her from Roncesvalles, at the foot of the Pyrenees Mountains near the French border, to Santiago. She then walked another 54 miles to Finisterre, at the edge of the Atlantic.

Lewis, a research scientist for the Environmental Protection Agency in Clifton, decided to walk the Camino two years ago, when she read a book written by actress Shirley MacLaine ("The Camino: Journey of the Spirit," Atria, $11.80), who also walked the trail. Lewis began preparing for her trip in February, by buying her equipment, training and boning up on her Spanish.

Question: What did people think when you told them you wanted to walk the Camino de Santiago?

Answer: Basically, there were two different opinions: They either thought it was great or they thought I was crazy.

Q: Why did you decide to do this?

A: I have an adventure streak and I like challenges ... I love walking. I love hiking. I thought this sounds so much better than the Appalachian Trail. I don't have to carry cooking gear or a tent and there's a lot of camaraderie. I got to see different cultures.

Q: But you didn't make the walk for religious reasons?

A: No, but I was open to see what would happen ... I'm not hung up on institutional religions. I went into all these majestic cathedrals (on the trail). But I liked the simple churches better. One day I saw this wonderful tree. To me, that tree represented a more beautiful cathedral than any of the man-built structures I saw.

Q: You say every politician in the world should make this walk. Why?

A: Because it's a good experience to have a mix of different nationalities and cultures and a common bond ... For whatever reason, we were all striving to reach this (goal). It didn't matter what status you were in life. It didn't matter anything other than enjoying each other as human beings. You were eating together, sleeping together, meeting various people constantly. It was the first time in my life I was exposed to such a variety of the world in one place.

Q: Would you recommend making the walk to others?

A: You have to be somewhat of an outdoor type. There were people walking that were not. But they had a strong drive. To do it, you have to have tenacity, a drive.

Q: Will you walk it again?

A: Yes, but the next time I would enjoy doing it with someone else. I would also enjoy doing another trail. Part of the stimulation of keeping going is not knowing what's ahead. The unknown. So I'd like to venture into some other areas.

Q: What was your most memorable moment on the Camino?

A: I think it was finally seeing the ocean at Finisterre.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back