• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking And Camping And Animals On The Del Norte

tjb660

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hello fellow pelligrinos,

My fiance and I are in Spain on an extended trip and have fallen in love with a dog while staying on a farm. We have a few questions about this Camino with a puppy.

She will certainly be carried often and not overworked, but how accomadating is the Norte? I have completed the Frances four years ago and do not know the challenges that the northern way will give us.

Another question we have is that we want to camp and have with us a tent to stay in while we travel in other places. We don't want to spend all of our money on albuergues and are also asking what the landscape is like and how intrusive do others find it when pilgrims camp off the path? Is there ample space to pitch tent and sleep without being right in the way of others pilgrimages?

So basically what is the forums opinions on taking a dog on the Norte compared to the Frances, and the same comparison of thoughts in regards to the tent and camping situation as well.

Any and all thoughts will help us. We begin in little more than a month.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As a general rule dogs are not allowed in the albergues. Wild camping is not allowed in many places and is illegal in Asturias. There are some camp sites, but I don't know if they take dogs. The land off of the path belongs to some-one so is not free for camping. Asking the owner may gain you permission, but again the dog might be a problem. Most of the farms have guard dogs which are chained up, but a passing dog is likely to disturb them and their barking might upset your own dog.

Sorry to sound so negative but dog and camping are both problems you will need to consider carefully.

Camping is of course legal on land where you have the owner's permission.

I don't think dogs should be allowed on any Camino. If you want to take your dog for a walk, then take it around your local park.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you all so far for the responses. All of it taken into account. I for one am not feeling very welcomed by the total prospect of camping every night because we love the wild and we also will be limited by having a new puppy with us. Having been along the way I know all is possible and the spiritual progress we make on this path should hopefully free us from limits but I just don't see it in the replies. I want it to be known to those who didn't fully comprehend my original post was that we planned a 6 month trip taking us to many places and many volunteering opportunities. At one opportunity we had the chance to save a puppy from a horrible life and we did. We paid to have her vaccinated and paid for a passport and chip. But we did not plan this Camino with a dog. I suppose to further refine my question... It is that I am looking for help here.

I am asking the community that so amazingly helped me prepare for my first Camino help me prepare for this one. I am asking for help while explaining what the situation IS. NOT what the situation was planned to be. I am coming to you for the love and wisdom and guidance that I know exists in this wonderful forum. So please save the dissuasion, save the negativaty, but please do be blunt if you must, blunt is fine and strips the foo-foo fluff from what I need need and that is help and information. Thanks guys and gals.

It sounds to me as though you want us to agree that you will be fine, and all will go well for you, camping plus dog. We are trying to help you by being realistic and the reality is that you are going to have problems with the camping and also, in most places, with the dog.
As the situation is that you now have the dog (and good that you rescued it) then maybe at this time it is not right to walk the Camino. The situation regarding camping in itself would remain the same with or without the dog.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a rule, dogs will not be allowed to sleep in albergues, but there are B&Bs that do allow dogs. What this means is a lot more preparation for you to find them ahead of time and book. I met a coup,e and theor two dogs on the Primitivo and they said it was a lot of planning.

Those who walk with dogs leave them outside, and have them trained very well to sleep by the front door.

I am currently walking VDLP with a man, his mule and his phenomenal, bright, sweet and obedient Cao de agua. She is a pleasure to watch run, and ride the mule. But she is very obedient, and comes the instant he calls her when a car is coming, and she sleeps on a blanket by the front door of the albergues. Mind you, he has walked thos route many times and knows where he can leave her outside, ie not in an albergue in the middle of town, in a busy street, etc.

Look for albergues that have a yard where you could leave the puppy tied outside.

You could delay a month or two, volunteer somewhere and concentrate on training the dog and getting her used to sleeping outside? Or find someone to care for the dog for a month, do your camino and come to collect her? You don't need to give up on either, but forcing the timing isn't really fair on you, other pilgrims, hospitaleros or the dog.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hotels and B&Bs that do allow dogs seem to charge between 5€ and 10€ per night for the dog, on top of the normal room rate. They may not be left alone in the room and are not allowed in restaurants etc. Another problem to overcome.

I walked for a while along the del Norte with a Slovenian pilgrim and her companion and their dog. They were allowed by most albergues to camp in their yard. There are few places for wild camping along the del Norte-- almost all land is agricultural or urban, and Spanish law does not permit wild camping within (I think- someone can confirm this) 3 kilometres of an existing campsite. I note that you state that you love the wild, but the Camino del Norte is not a wilderness hike, but an extended walk through a mix of forests, hills, farms, villages, cities, and beach-side resorts. As much of the spiritual benefit comes from comradeship with other pilgrims and encounters with the Spanish as it does from the (impressive and wonderful) landscape-- but as most of the spiritual experience is very subjective and individual, most comment will naturally focus on the practical aspects, as we all share in that. I wonder if other Camino routes, such as the Primitivo or the Vadiniense, would not suit a wilderness hiker better.

There are several threads on this site about the ups and downs of taking a dog on the Camino, and opinions are very strong on this, but if you read through these threads, you will find that there has much thought been given to this. I tend to fall on the negative side as, of the dogs I have met on the Camino, possibly two were having an enjoyable time, and others were definitely not having a good time. They were suffering, sometimes considerably (bleeding paws, exhaustion), but doing their best to loyally keep up with their masters. Most guard dogs are chained or behind fences, so your dog is less likely be be injured or killed than many think, but there remains a problem with shepherds' dogs, whose first instinct is to protect their sheep.

You are to be commended for rescuing the puppy from a difficult situation, but I am not sure if an extended walking trip is the best idea for the dog. I may be wrong. Perhaps, as suggested, a home for the dog while you walk is the way forward.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back