• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking and Cycling Camino Frances

Lsk walker

Time of past OR future Camino
none
I have three weeks to complete the Camino Frances, and am looking at both walking and cycling, perhaps walking as far as Pamplona, picking up a bike and cycling to Leon and walking the remainder of the camino. Any advise, sharing of experiences, look forward to hearing from people. thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My plan is to take 19 days to bike from Pamplona to Santiago, with 6 flex/rest/weather/tourist days. Prior to my start I am going to give myself 3 days to get over jet-lag split between Madrid and Pamplona. The reason that I have 6 flex days in my schedule is because on average about 1/3 of the days in May have measurable precipitation. Some of those days could be horrible storms and others could be light rain for just a few minutes. In some of my training rides, I have trained in rain, just to be on the safe side as far as gear and conditioning. Spending time in churches, taking in museums will also be an important part of my Camino for me.

In the past in training for both long bike rides and half marathons, I find that my body responds best if I have at least one day off a week and one day of very light exercise. So if I add tourism, then 2 to 3 "rest/recovery" days per week are what allow me to keep going week after week after week without over-use injuries.

To do a combination bike and hike, I would think you would have some extra gear that you won't need for the other transportation mode. Things like bike helmet, bike shoes, padded bike pants, padded bike gloves, etc. Other things like hiking boots, treking poles, large backpack would just be extra baggage for the biking part. Also the muscle groups you will be using will be different for each mode of transportation. Then again, if you have trained for this, it shouldn't be a problem.

I am curious why you are not biking farther like Astorga or Ponferrada? Is it that you want to minimize your biking so you can maximize your hiking time into your schedule? Again, I would urge you to plan a few flex days into your schedule, if for nothing else some bad weather.

Good luck.

What a great idea! I think you will have the best forms of movement for the terrain you have chosen. Of course I personally think riding a bike is the easy way except for two locations a hint: Mountains.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thankyou for your feedback, the bike ride is purely to try cover some distance at a faster pace, I would like to ultimately walk into Santiago.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thankyou for your feedback, the bike ride is purely to try cover some distance at a faster pace, I would like to ultimately walk into Santiago.

I would like to caution you that if you have not "conditioned" your "bottom" through hours in the saddle, you stand a good chance of getting very saddle sore & numb from more than a few constant hours in the bike saddle each day. This is even more true without padded bike shorts. Hands also take a terrific beating, which is why padded bike gloves are so necessary. In long distance rides, I have seen lots of people stop after around 30 to 40 miles, simply because it hurts too much to continue. I know people who have been chaffed raw on their "bottom/thighs" after 200 miles of riding without proper training.

If you haven't trained for riding long distances on a bike, keep your stages short, especially at the beginning. Use padded bike shorts and butt butter. Also stop and/or walk your bike often if you haven't trained on a bike, as it will help you avoid hurting your "bottom." You are looking at about 249 miles of bike riding (if I did my math right). You are hoping to cover more distance on a bike than you could by walking. A trained bike rider can easily do 10 to 12 mph all day, while 3 to 4 mph is pretty top speed for a walker with a pack. Not sure how many miles a day you are looking at, but be careful and take it easy.

If you have been training on a bike you should have no problems.

Good luck on your Camino.

Then there is the mud, I didn't bike but some riding by me were well covered in mud.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back