• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking and cycling

ScottC

As I have limited time to complete the Camino from SJPP and do not want to catch a bus to make up time - has anyone walked and cycled? I was thinking of purchasing a bike in Burgos and then cycling the Mesata to sell the bike prior to walking into Galacia. Any thoughts?

Scott

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing wrong with that idea.
You could probably hire a bike in Burgos and leave it at Ponferrada.
You will walk about 290kms to Burgos, cycle 280km to Ponferrada and then walk the last 200km to Santiago.

Sounds a really nice idea. We've done both, but not on the same journey.
How will you carry your backpack when on the bike? Personally I wouldn't want to have it on my back while cycling although I know plenty do. You could use stretchy straps (bungees) to tie it to the back carrier - better if it was a nice compact shape rather than long and thin on a rigid frame, maybe. Something to think about, anyway.
You may be able to fix a bum bag (fannypack?) to the handlebars.
And your boots? I couldn't ride in my walking boots.

Make sure you have a bell and use it. So many cyclists come up behind walkers silently - perhaps they think the walker will hear their wheels or has eyes in the back of the head - and look offended if the walker takes a few moments to move aside. We have bells, and although it feels a bit rude and imperious to ring them as one approaches walkers, actually if you do it in time no-one needs check their pace - they glance over their shoulder (sometimes it takes more than one 'ting' for people to notice) and move to one side, and we the cyclists can slow down a bit and pass with a pleasant thank you or gracias.
And if walkers are coming towards a cyclist on a narrow path, there is no rule which says the walker has to be the one who stops on one side, possibly in the nettles or brambles. It's quite a cool game to play to see who will be the most polite and stop first, rather than who will be the most assertive and NOT stop!
Just a thought!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
sillydoll said:
When you hire a bike, they usually come with panniers.

Try Tour 'n Ride http://www.tournride.com/
Bike Iberia http://www.Bikeiberia.com
Jacotrans - http://www.jacotrans.com
Mundicamino http://www.mundicamino.com/

That's good. So you'll still need to think about your pack and whether it will stuff inside the panniers empty. It is said that only Ortleib panniers are indisputably watertight. Obviously none of this is plan altering - just suggesting things to think about.
Anyway, the rule holds true for cycling as for walking - try to take as little as possible!!
The only time we hired bikes with panniers (in the uK some years ago) the panniers cost extra.

have fun planning!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have cycled the Camino more than once and other long routes with a back-pack and with a back-pack bungeed onto the rack and with both as well as with panniers alone. I find it no problem to carry a light pack when cycling in fact I prefer it to bungeeing it to a rack.

If you are walking and cycling either Brasher Superlites or a lightweight trainer type walking shoe would be best to cycle in.

I would recommend avoiding the paths in the mountains and if you can buy one very cheaply and have enough time leaving it at the church, refugio or Red Cross at Astorga (the countryside is so nice from there on) and walking from there although the cycle up to Rabanal is easy enough.

Buen Camino
William

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you so much for these ideas they are all helpful. I am wondering though if the thought of hiring a bike and then returning it in another town is possible? If I could buy one cheaply I would be happy to leave it a a church or refuge when I started walking. I have a "collapsible" pack which will mean that it will go into paniers.

So thanks again - 3 months to go and counting down! Can't wait

Me and my friends did the Camino this year and we decided to rent bikes. We're were a little bit afraid to go with rented bikes because not neing our own bikes we didn't know what to expect! However going with rented bikes from bikeiberia (http://www.bikeiberia.com) was definitely the best choice! It was very easy process, we just collected the bikes in Roncesvalles and then dropped them off in Santiago when we've finished the ride! So yes it is possible to collect the bike in a place and deliver it in another one.
As to carrying a back pack, I would advise to take panniers instead, this way you don't have to carry the weight on your shoulders and if you start sweating it can be unconfortable to have a back pack on your back! This company also have panniers available, Ortlieb ones (the waterproof panniers) which to us came in handy because it rained a couple of days, but our clothes managed to stay dry! I've stayed such a fan that I'm thinking about buying a pair for myself.
Anyway I have nothing bad to say about this company but to reccommend it to anyone who's interested in biking the Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back