• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking and Suffering

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese from Lisbon Apr 29, 2023
WHY I WALK THROUGH CAMINO INDUSTRIAL AREAS
Three Quick Questions: have you ever suffered in your life? Did you get through the suffering? Did that suffering make you a stronger person?

I answer yes to all three questions. That is why I walk through huge cities, pound the pavement when it presents itself, industrial areas, BRING IT ON! And I love it because I know that suffering in life is inevitable.

Working through suffering makes us stronger. There is no new life without a bit of suffering.
When you are out there on the Camino trudging along, know that allowing yourself to suffer a bit will enhance and enrich your Camino experience.

Before you jump in that taxi to bypass that industrial zone, think about all you have sacrificed so far just to be able to walk this Pilgrimage to the burial site of Saint James. Really give it the old college try before you hang up the towel. Rest if you need to. Walk slower. Struggle a bit. You will be a much stronger and joyful person. There is always light at the end of the tunnel. Fr Scott

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you for this post.
I agree almost with everything you write , though I do not believe myself that suffering makes me stronger or more joyful. Then again for me life is not always about the pursuit of happiness but more the avoidance of unhappiness.
I describe it more as looking into things differently ( another view or perspective ).
There is nothing wrong having to deal with some small struggles ( or coping with some small ailments ) on a Camino but there is also great wisdom and selfknowledge to stop ( or take transport ) when needed.

And yes I love the industrial zones on a Camino. More often than not you will find the best bars and restaurants there ( always a good sign when they are full with local workers ).

Because they are there. I don't see it as embracing my suffering - largely because that sounds a bit overdramatic as a description for an hour or two of time spent walking in less attractive surroundings. Even in the industrial suburbs there is usually something that catches my eye and gives me material to reflect on. My only absolute rule for my pilgrimages is that I walk every step of the way from start to finish unless that is physically impossible or wildly impractical: eg on the Via Francigena I crossed from Dover to Calais by ferry rather than swimming or walking on water...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Three Quick Questions: have you ever suffered in your life? Did you get through the suffering? Did that suffering make you a stronger person?

I answer yes to all three questions. That is why I walk through huge cities, pound the pavement when it presents itself, industrial areas, BRING IT ON! And I love it because I know that suffering in life is inevitable.

Working through suffering makes us stronger. There is no new life without a bit of suffering.
When you are out there on the Camino trudging along, know that allowing yourself to suffer a bit will enhance and enrich your Camino experience.

Before you jump in that taxi to bypass that industrial zone, think about all you have sacrificed so far just to be able to walk this Pilgrimage to the burial site of Saint James. Really give it the old college try before you hang up the towel. Rest if you need to. Walk slower. Struggle a bit. You will be a much stronger and joyful person. There is always light at the end of the tunnel. Fr Scott
I thoroughly enjoy the industrial outskirts of big cities - not the big factories and offices per se; but the industrial estates with small engineering shops; car workshops and ‘stuff going on’. That’s more real life happening all around you than you’ll find in an ornate church or a pristine city centre.

My wife and I visited a local ‘church on the street’ on Sunday. There an unconventional pastor ministers to, and facilitates practical help for, a congregation largely afflicted with extreme poverty, mental and physical health issues and various forms of addiction. There were dogs-on-strings, a serious fight and personal testimony of resurrection following on-the-spot prayer, given personally by the temporarily deceased gentleman, together with a qualitative reccomendation for the narcotic which caused his thankfully reversed demise. One hell of a service. (No pun intended)

Whilst (see posts passim) I am no innocent abroad and my religious conviction might well be described as ‘indeterminate’; I had a real sense that if there were a God on earth he or she would be more likely to be found there than in a cathedral sporting a jewelled mitre.

And so it is with the industrial outskirts. Skip those, and you’re editing the experience in my opinion. Take all or nothing and enjoy what you find.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Before you jump in that taxi to bypass that industrial zone, think about all you have sacrificed so far just to be able to walk this Pilgrimage
In my life, I have been extremely fortunate to experience very little of what I would call "suffering." Certainly I made no significant sacrifices to be able to walk the Camino. Besides, I don't see as suffering, the challenge of walking through an industrial area, or being sore and cranky after a long walk.

I do believe that taking on challenges and working through them with some perseverance can bring joy and make people more resilient. I also believe that solving problems in different ways, and knowing when to change course, contribute to joy and resilience. Let's not attribute big importance to the role of an occasional bus or taxi in our lives.

I am partial to the industrial zones. I loved the walk out of Leon. Walking through them never felt like suffering, personally. They always made me wonder, in fact, how life would be different if more people traversed (or were able to traverse) them on foot in everyday life.

They remind me of these Pyrenean horses. Signs cautioning avoidance of an industrial zone? Take caution and good care! But the horses left a lasting impression, as a notable sight after Roncesvalles, like somehow they’d seen it all before, encouraging pilgrims to be careful but to keep walking the path however it presents itself.

Santiago 068.JPG Santiago 069.JPG

WHY I DON'T (ALWAYS) WALK THROUGH CAMINO INDUSTRIAL AREAS
1. Walking on concrete for extended periods of time aggravates my pre-existing injuries, leading to (actual, physical) suffering and a risk that I might not finish my camino at all if I stupidly persevere with something my body is quite clearly telling me I should not be doing
2. (in absence of physical reasons as above) It is boring. It's not "suffering" by any definition of that word I'd use - it's just easy, and boring. If I wanted to walk through industrial areas, I have plenty of opportunity to do that at home (and no, I don't do it there either typically)
3. I don't feel the need to adhere to someone's else's criteria as to what a camino "should" be. You live by your rules, my friend, and I'll just make my own.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
WHY I DON'T (ALWAYS) WALK THROUGH CAMINO INDUSTRIAL AREAS
1. Walking on concrete for extended periods of time aggravates my pre-existing injuries, leading to (actual, physical) suffering and a risk that I might not finish my camino at all if I stupidly persevere with something my body is quite clearly telling me I should not be doing
2. (in absence of physical reasons as above) It is boring. It's not "suffering" by any definition of that word I'd use - it's just easy, and boring. If I wanted to walk through industrial areas, I have plenty of opportunity to do that at home (and no, I don't do it there either typically)
3. I don't feel the need to adhere to someone's else's criteria as to what a camino "should" be. You live by your rules, my friend, and I'll just make my own.
Duly noted my friend! ✌️

But the horses left a lasting impression, as a notable sight after Roncesvalles, like somehow they’d seen it all before, encouraging pilgrims to be careful but to keep walking the path however it presents itself.
:) On my first Camino I met no other humans at all on the Route Napoleon. When I got to the border there were a few old concrete posts and the remains of a single strand of wire. And a horse. I offered to show the horse my passport but he didn't seem very interested. So I just let myself into Spain unofficially :)

There was no suffering involved in walking through industrial areas for me, it was just another part of the Camino and I wanted to walk every step, the good, the bad and the ugly, it didn't make me feel stronger.
I don't subscribe to the idea that suffering makes anyone stronger, it just makes them suffer and I'm sure when it's over people are more relieved than stronger.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I honestly do not enjoy the industrial areas I walk through on the Camino, but never consider it suffering. I do not purposely avoid them, except recently on the Via F. leaving Lucca at the recommendations of forum members I bypassed an industrial zone due to time constraints for this walk. If I had to leave something out, I'd rather it be an unattractive industrial area.
I did walk past a small area in Lucca and popped into this place for a moment to watch this man toiling in his skilled trade. He obliged me when I asked for a photo.
Screenshot_20221011-224241~2.png

I see the Camino, as many others do, as a metaphor for life. There are ups and downs. Ugly areas and beautiful. Sickness and health. Kind people and unkind people. And so on….. As such I can’t imagine skipping a part of the Camino because it is ugly or concrete. It’s still part of the Camino. Say what you will about “it’s your Camino” because that is certainly true! As it is also “your life.” But, for me, just as I can’t avoid the uglier parts of life, I will not avoid the “uglier” parts of the Camino. It’s the journey. Not the destination. And, I might add, I find the industrial areas interesting.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

The car dealerships, heavy equipment sales and repair, the miscellaneous industries, the mega TV studio complex as you approach Santiago, reminds me that Spain and Spaniards are not that different then the rest of us. I was so tempted to enter the Mercedes car dealership and just browse. I kept thinking, I should buy a used one at the end of my Camino and tour the rest of Spain for an extended time. Perhaps next time, April 2023.

Suffering, will make you come through whatever pain a stronger person. Think of the elation you have when you arrive in Santiago. As a Christian, I reflect what Jesus and all the Saints and Martyrs had suffered and try to turn my pain into something positive. Inevitably, whatever pain you are suffering, there is someone with a lot worse pain. Although, I will not go out of my way to find pain, there is enough of that around just now.

I do not mean to be rude or aggressive but the idea of "suffering" because we are forced to walk through an industrialized area shows how so many people who by the luck of who knows what, were born into a country that equates this with suffering. Yes, a camino can be difficult, and yes some may succumb to an blister, bone spur or for a few unfortunate souls something much more serious. But overall I believe that we are stretching (I am just as guilty as anyone on this front) of saying we are suffering on the camino. A shin splint or blister is really painful and you may have some real pain for a short period of time. In this you may be temporarily suffer for a few hours or days. Others may have chronic conditions that they do suffer with that are exacerbated by camino. But walking by the airport into Burgos or along the highway into Leon is far from suffering. At best it is a big Yeck!👅😝

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do not mean to be rude or aggressive but the idea of "suffering" because we are forced to walk through an industrialized area shows how so many people who by the luck of who knows what, were born into a country that equates this with suffering. Yes, a camino can be difficult, and yes some may succumb to an blister, bone spur or for a few unfortunate souls something much more serious. But overall I believe that we are stretching (I am just as guilty as anyone on this front) of saying we are suffering on the camino. A shin splint or blister is really painful and you may have some real pain for a short period of time. In this you may be temporarily suffer for a few hours or days. Others may have chronic conditions that they do suffer with that are exacerbated by camino. But walking by the airport into Burgos or along the highway into Leon is far from suffering. At best it is a big Yeck!👅😝
Duly noted my friend! Suffering may be stretching it a bit. ✌️

The suffering I do on a camino is the work I do to hold space for those who need to point out - yet again - how one needs to do a camino in order to achieve maximum benefit.

I am currently on Via de la Plata and left the hot hot plains about a week ago. I can honestly say I did not enjoy many elements of the first part of this Camino. I was resistant and grumpy - I just couldn’t find the joy. Then through various circumstances there were some days when I walked in the indescribably hot afternoon. The first time felt so hard; I couldn’t wait to get to our destination; it felt like it would never end. The next time I realised that this was just temporary, it would end, and most importantly that I was OK and could do this (I had plenty of water and my umbrella)
My experience is that overcoming or even just surviving difficulties can make me stronger; not so much the difficulty itself but meaning I make of it.
Interestingly after I left those scorching plains I missed them. I still do; I think because a lot of the time I was focused on my own feelings of misery rather than what was actually in front of me.
Metals are tempered with fire and for me so is the human spirit. I feel stronger and more free when I mine the juice of difficulty rather than avoid it.
PS. I also know when to walk slower, shorter, or take a bus or taxi. There are the challenges that grow your inner muscle and those that can cause permanent damage. The wisdom is to know the difference.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am currently on Via de la Plata and left the hot hot plains about a week ago. I can honestly say I did not enjoy many elements of the first part of this Camino. I was resistant and grumpy - I just couldn’t find the joy. Then through various circumstances there were some days when I walked in the indescribably hot afternoon. The first time felt so hard; I couldn’t wait to get to our destination; it felt like it would never end. The next time I realised that this was just temporary, it would end, and most importantly that I was OK and could do this (I had plenty of water and my umbrella)
My experience is that overcoming or even just surviving difficulties can make me stronger; not so much the difficulty itself but meaning I make of it.
Interestingly after I left those scorching plains I missed them. I still do; I think because a lot of the time I was focused on my own feelings of misery rather than what was actually in front of me.
Metals are tempered with fire and for me so is the human spirit. I feel stronger and more free when I mine the juice of difficulty rather than avoid it.
PS. I also know when to walk slower, shorter, or take a bus or taxi. There are the challenges that grow your inner muscle and those that can cause permanent damage. The wisdom is to know the difference.
Great response Rita!! Thanx. Have a fantastic Camino! Peace. ✌️

Yesterday I chose to take the scenic route over the “industrial” route and it was the right decision for me. I feel closer to nature when I am in it and in doing so I feel closer to God. I do not think it is necessary to suffer to reach the Devine. One can also reach this understanding through the beauty of His creation. Just like the Camino, there are many paths to insight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
By taking the more pleasant route I am missing the benefits of suffering through the less pleasant routes. That is a form of suffering so I regain the 3 benefits that you mentioned.

The suffering I do on a camino is the work I do to hold space for those who need to point out - yet again - how one needs to do a camino in order to achieve maximum benefit.
"one needs to do a camino in order to achieve maximum benefit." What does this mean--are there words left out?

Just like the Camino, there are many paths to insight
Yes, and challenge is the biggest doorway in to that. Maybe not 'suffering' - maybe just dissatisfaction or disappointment or stress. Whatever you call it, we create it in response to difficulty - and it is optional. Avoiding simple unpleasantness means we miss learning how to access the joy of contentment with whatever life brings.

It is boring
What's wrong with that? It's not life's job to entertain us.

don't subscribe to the idea that suffering makes anyone stronger, it just makes them suffer and I'm sure when it's over people are more relieved than stronger.
Maybe maybe not. There's suffering leading to more suffering and suffering leading to the end of suffering. We can cultivate the second kind. Or not.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I hear you and I also hold the opinion that every person decides what they want their Camino to be. So whether people walk every step or not, is not my Camino.

IMO there’s not a lot of suffering to be found on Camino. Cold rain; burning sun; shite food and uncomfortable beds aside there are only a few fools and I suffer them gladly. Sufferance, now that can be found in abundance. And I am grateful to every hospitalero/a; every farmer; every Farmacia; Camereno; Guardia Civil and every other citizen of Spain who forebore me

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I walk through them too, but not for any other reason other than they are there. I dont think of it as suffering but just as part of the Camino.

My feet dont really like that much concrete, so now that I know about an alternative into Burgos I will take that option next time. If there was an alternative into Leon I'd take that too.

Last edited:
I walk through them too, but not for any other reason than they are there. I dont think of it as suffering but just as part of the Camino.
I feel the same way.
Part of walking the Camino for me is to see the country of Spain, and that includes industrial areas where people work.

Hmmm... A wee bit over the top, in my humble opinion...

One cannot choose everything in life and we must accept that sometimes life will be uncomfortable.

Yes - take the bad with the good, and that includes industrial areas on a Camino.. But to deliberately embrace suffering is a bridge too far for me. Otherwise I might find myself breaking out the hammer and flattening my fingers, just because it will be 'suffering which wil l make me stronger...''

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, there are industrial areas I walked through on the Camino Frances. However, given the choice when walking into Burgos between walking around the airport and through the industrial area or finding and walking along the river, I'll chose the river route. Much more inspirational. So I miss some suffering...c'est la vie!

Suffering is overrated.

Said an Episcopal priest at my NYC parish.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have suffered enough in my life, I don't need "experiences on the Camino" to add to it. Walking through industrial areas is not suffering. They are just there.
Didn't Mother Teresa advocate this kind of philosophy while forcing her nuns to use dull needles for injections on the poor. That suffering brought them closer to Jesus? Just one of the reasons why she isn't on my admiration list.

Please stop judging those who may need a bus or taxi, you have no idea why they are riding for a while. Give them a break!

A reminder to members that this thread must not turn into a discussion about religion (see Forum Rules).

So far we seem to have avoided it, apart from a couple of posts that have been removed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The car dealerships, heavy equipment sales and repair, the miscellaneous industries, the mega TV studio complex as you approach Santiago, reminds me that Spain and Spaniards are not that different then the rest of us. I was so tempted to enter the Mercedes car dealership and just browse. I kept thinking, I should buy a used one at the end of my Camino and tour the rest of Spain for an extended time. Perhaps next time, April 2023.
What about a used Lamborghini .... (tractor)

Duly noted my friend! ✌️
OK .... let everyone have their own take on what the Camino is/is not. I for one couldn't disagree with you more....
I say ENJOY every second and every minute GOD brings you in whatever way brings you joy. I have suffered in my life and I have suffered through many horrible and absolutely catastrophic events.... I know them and God knows them.
I went out walking on the Camino Frances met a woman who "guided" me -- didn't end up walking with her much as she had a different idea of what she wanted. I took taxis when I wanted, took in the sites of the people and churches and fields around me... took it slow. Sat and drank coffee and orange juice with all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds. I'm old[er] they were young, middle aged, some older than me. .... I HAD A BALL... Jesus walked with me everyday. He got in the taxi with me, he found me when I got lost, took me to some really nice hotels and some bed bug ridden hostal... it was all great and grand AND NEVER EVER EVER did I hear suffer, push yourself, walk where you don't want to walk or sit in a crappy situation or suffer. ALL I HEARD EVERYDAY WAS be who you are, I am with you always and forever. Do whatever you want to do this is your CAMINO. I can't express my gratitude and my love for the peace and joy I have with me. And all I can say everyday is thank thank you thank you.... there's enough suffering in this world I don't need to seek it out....

I worry about the suggestion that walking through industrial areas can be equated to suffering. It might be unpleasant, even boring, but it's hardly suffering.

I put some thought into this earlier this year when I started walking the Caminho do Tejo and then the CP. Circumstances limited the flexibility that I had, and if I was to spend a couple of days in Santiago, I had to walk the Central Route from Porto. I was aware that many here suggest taking the train for at least part of that day.

It seems to me that whether it is Porto, Leon, Burgos or anywhere else, the urban and industrial areas at the outskirts of these cities are the places where people live and work, raise their families, earn their income, play sport, attend their churches, and so many other things. It seemed to me that it would be disdainful not to walk through these areas. Concrete and asphalt are going to be harder on one's feet than other surfaces. The aesthetic appeal of historic city centres or the bucolic ambience of more rural settings isn't there to distract one from these less appealing places. But these are the places where the local people live out the bulk of their lives, and equally deserving of being part of my pilgrimage as any of the other places I walked.

As for suffering, I think there are many people who walk in physical, mental and emotional pain. I try not to recall too vividly walking the pilgrim shuffle each evening for the first week or so of my first pilgrimage, or later on the sight of a woman whose blisters covered large parts of both feet. These were just the obvious signs of physical suffering that pilgrims were coping with.

I remember losing my brother when I next walked the CF. Even though I knew that he was likely to die while I was away, I was in anguish for days afterwards whether to return home or not, even though I had told him before I left that I wouldn't. And the grief continued even when I knew that I wouldn't go back for his funeral. The company of other pilgrims was so important to me at that time, even if they might not have realised why.

I am sure that there are many similar or more traumatic stories along the Camino. After all, in any year we are the walking equivalent of a reasonably sized city in most countries, and could expect to have amongst us somewhat similar problems.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think there is also a different strength in knowing when one might not be gaining in physical, mental or emotional strength by struggling through, and having the courage to accept that.

If the worst suffering you experience is walking through an industrial area, consider yourself very lucky. And if perhaps you get a little better insight into the way that ordinary people are living day to day, that would add to the wealth of experiences that make up your pilgrimage. And that might make you a better, and stonger, person in a myriad of ways.

Last edited:
I worry about the suggestion that walking through industrial areas can be equated to suffering. It might be unpleasant, even boring, but it's hardly suffering.

I put some thought into this earlier this year when I started walking the Caminho do Tejo and then the CP. Circumstances limited the flexibility that I had, and if I was to spend a couple of days in Santiago, I had to walk the Central Route from Porto. I was aware that many here suggest taking the train for at least part of that day.

It seems to me that whether it is Porto, Leon, Burgos or anywhere else, the urban and industrial areas at the outskirts of these cities are the places where people live and work, raise their families, earn their income, play sport, attend their churches, and so many other things. It seemed to me that it would be disdainful not to walk through these areas. Concrete and asphalt are going to be harder on one's feet than other surfaces. The aesthetic appeal of historic city centres or the bucolic ambience of more rural settings isn't there to distract one from these less appealing places. But these are the places where the local people live out the bulk of their lives, and equally deserving of being part of my pilgrimage as any of the other places I walked.

As for suffering, I think there are many people who walk in physical, mental and emotional pain. I try not to recall too vividly walking the pilgrim shuffle each evening for the first week or so of my first pilgrimage, or later on the sight of a woman whose blisters covered large parts of both feet. These were just the obvious signs of physical suffering that pilgrims were coping with.

I remember losing my brother when I next walked the CF. Even though I knew that he was likely to die while I was away, I was in anguish for days afterwards whether to return home or not, even though I had told him before I left that I wouldn't. And the grief continued even when I knew that I wouldn't go back for his funeral. The company of other pilgrims was so important to me at that time, even if they might not have realised why.

I am sure that there are many similar or more traumatic stories along the Camino. After all, in any year we are the walking equivalent of a reasonably sized city in most countries, and could expect to have amongst us somewhat similar problems.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I think there is also a different strength in knowing when one might not be gaining in physical, mental or emotional strength by struggling through, and having the courage to accept that.

If the worst suffering you experience is walking through an industrial area, consider yourself very lucky. And if perhaps you get a little better insight into the way that ordinary people are living day to day, that would add to the wealth of experiences that make up your pilgrimage. And that might make you a better, and stonger, person in a myriad of ways.
Thank you for your heartfelt response. There are definitely many different levels of suffering. Peace!

Interesting thread...for me, it not about suffering when walking through less than ideal areas. Fear is a pretty significant reality at times. My husband and I had a bit of a disagreement about directions while coming into sketchy parts of Moissac on a Sunday evening at dusk. It was pretty uncomfortable to be a woman walking through groups of local men sitting out together in a pretty rundown area. Not another woman in sight. I was with my husband so pulled up my big girl pants, strode confidently and nothing happened. It was just really uncomfortable. Had I been alone, it wouldn't have been about suffering in the depressed part of town; it would have been straight up fear. Would it make me stronger? Heck, no. It would make me dig out a map next time and try to walk around it.

Have suffered enough in my life, I don't need "experiences on the Camino" to add to it. Walking through industrial areas is not suffering. They are just there.
Didn't Mother Teresa advocate this kind of philosophy while forcing her nuns to use dull needles for injections on the poor. That suffering brought them closer to Jesus? Just one of the reasons why she isn't on my admiration list.

Please stop judging those who may need a bus or taxi, you have no idea why they are riding for a while. Give them a break!
Duly noted. Maybe I explained myself better in this video. Peace.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, there are industrial areas I walked through on the Camino Frances. However, given the choice when walking into Burgos between walking around the airport and through the industrial area or finding and walking along the river, I'll chose the river route. Much more inspirational. So I miss some suffering...c'est la vie!
I missed the river route and "suffered" through the industrial one. I saw only one other pilgrim into Burgos and he and I walked together for safety in navigating. It ended up being one of the most serendipitous and uplifting conversations I had during my entire Camino. My lesson? Never discount where the Camino leads you...

Having been dragged up as a Catholic (with an Irish mother) and gone to a Jesuit grammar school (complete with regular beatings), I am thoroughly familiar with the 'offer your suffering up to Jesus' proposition. Walking the Camino just involves taking the rough with the smooth. This applies to life as a whole anyway, and I really don't see any value in pretending there is something sacred in it.

Because they are there. I don't see it as embracing my suffering - largely because that sounds a bit overdramatic as a description for an hour or two of time spent walking in less attractive surroundings. Even in the industrial suburbs there is usually something that catches my eye and gives me material to reflect on. My only absolute rule for my pilgrimages is that I walk every step of the way from start to finish unless that is physically impossible or wildly impractical: eg on the Via Francigena I crossed from Dover to Calais by ferry rather than swimming or walking on water...
I'll go with this one. Suffering is inevitable. No need to go hunting for it. But assuming that one route would be suffering and making an effort to find an alternate route might end up wasted effort and/or missing out on something you didn't know was on the route you shunned. So, for me, "go with the flow."

Thank you. Yes. I remember a lot of people recommended to skip the Meseta. “The Meseta is known as a boring, flat section that gets a really bad rap. The distances between villages are much longer, so the days tend to be harder in that sense. There are not many trees. But the Meseta was one of the most important parts of my 2012 camino. It was here that I let go of my old self and found the my inner self once more. My camino tribe and I definitely seemed a bit looney as we sang our way from town to town. Music is so sacred. For those of you going through tough moments on the camino I have a spotify playlist called "Camino de Santiago Walking Songs." to offer. The songs are all about the pilgrim, the journey, the wandering soul. Working through tough times. Healing. Living in joy.

I missed the river route and "suffered" through the industrial one. I saw only one other pilgrim into Burgos and he and I walked together for safety in navigating. It ended up being one of the most serendipitous and uplifting conversations I had during my entire Camino. My lesson? Never discount where the Camino leads you...
I've had similar experiences on the "boring industrial" stretches. It's not always about where you are walking - it's often about who you are walking with.

€46,-

Indeed, and suffering makes great art...in thought, in written word, via deeds and in visible expression.

Indeed, and suffering makes great art...in thought, in written word, via deeds and in visible expression.
While on the topic of suffering... My last two Caminos, Frances in April and The Primitivo in Sept 2022. I suffered shin splints on the last few days. Any and all advice welcome regarding stretching, resting while walking with shin splints. Walking The Norte Mar/April 2023.

While on the topic of suffering... My last two Caminos, Frances in April and The Primitivo in Sept 2022. I suffered shin splints on the last few days. Any and all advice welcome regarding stretching, resting while walking with shin splints. Walking The Norte Mar/April 2023.
I’m definitely no expert but use shoes with good tread ( as soon as the tread starts wearing out) you are more susceptible to injury). Also, replace factory inserts with good high arch inserts. I use Active Orthaheel (Amazon). Hope that helps some. Buen Camino.

€83,-
I've had similar experiences on the "boring industrial" stretches. It's not always about where you are walking - it's often about who you are walking with.
Or the other way around !
I walked a gorgeous stretch in la Rioja ( but I could hardly take in the views ) with a fellow pilgrim who could not stop talking! So utterly tiring listening to his selfabsorbant stories. Luckily he found another victim.

My opinions about suffering are 3 fold:
  1. Suffering is in your mind.
  2. There is growth on the other side of suffering.
  3. If you don't want to tolerate it anymore, then don't and do something about it.
If you think an industrial area is suffering, then you will suffer. While I was on my camino (as a solo woman) I experienced: many blisters - some infected, a kidney stone that landed me in the hospital, a backpack that was thrown into the garbage, and 3 bouts of bed bugs. Did I suffer, oh yes I suffered! But it was also many lessons of my strength, resilience, perseverance, and being able to embrace the suffering. Feel all the suffering, feel the grief, the pain, the horror, the fear... And what is on the other side of that suffering? Growth, learning about yourself, what you can tolerate and what you can't. And if you can't tolerate it, then don't. For example, after my kidney stone, I suffered carrying my backpack. And then I realized I don't need to tolerate this anymore and sent my bag forward each day. I realized there are things that are put there for you to not have to suffer, especially if you think you have learned all the lessons you can and grown as much as you can. Asking for help is a form of ending suffering. Those Camino Angels are put there for a reason. 👼💓

My opinions about suffering are 3 fold:
  1. Suffering is in your mind.
  2. There is growth on the other side of suffering.
  3. If you don't want to tolerate it anymore, then don't and do something about it.
If you think an industrial area is suffering, then you will suffer. While I was on my camino (as a solo woman) I experienced: many blisters - some infected, a kidney stone that landed me in the hospital, a backpack that was thrown into the garbage, and 3 bouts of bed bugs. Did I suffer, oh yes I suffered! But it was also many lessons of my strength, resilience, perseverance, and being able to embrace the suffering. Feel all the suffering, feel the grief, the pain, the horror, the fear... And what is on the other side of that suffering? Growth, learning about yourself, what you can tolerate and what you can't. And if you can't tolerate it, then don't. For example, after my kidney stone, I suffered carrying my backpack. And then I realized I don't need to tolerate this anymore and sent my bag forward each day. I realized there are things that are put there for you to not have to suffer, especially if you think you have learned all the lessons you can and grown as much as you can. Asking for help is a form of ending suffering. Those Camino Angels are put there for a reason. 👼💓
Thank you for your excellent response.

I respectfully suggest a ‘bring it on’ embrace of suffering or that ‘suffering is in the mind’ is not helpful to anyone…not to the person with bad blisters, or in bad pain from too much pavement, or, moving away from the Camino to cancer patients or victims of drought and famine. Encouraging suffering is medieval in my view. The notion that one cannot grow and thrive spiritually without enduring suffering is potentially dangerous. I recall an incident from my earlier years where a neighbour consulted a priest about the fact her husband constantly beat her and her children. The priest told her to offer her suffering to god, and she would be rewarded in heaven. Suffering may be inevitable but it is not something I would encourage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Encouraging suffering is medieval in my view.
I don't sense that the OP's encouraging gratuitous suffering. That'd just be stupid - there's enough in life without adding to it.

But when the inevitable happens - be it blisters or personal tragedy - how we relate to it matters. Compassion embraces pain, knowing it can't be avoided in life. And wisdom understands how to find ease no matter what. Wisdom and compassion grow when we encounter pain ourselves and learn no-one gets out of here without it.

a neighbour consulted a priest about the fact her husband constantly beat her and her children. The priest told her to offer her suffering to god, and she would be rewarded in heaven. Suffering may be inevitable but it is not something I would encourage.
When they're genuine, neither compassion nor wisdom are passive - and neither condone abuse. That's a horriffic story, saying much more about the priest than about the suffering.

I’m definitely no expert but use shoes with good tread ( as soon as the tread starts wearing out) you are more susceptible to injury). Also, replace factory inserts with good high arch inserts. I use Active Orthaheel (Amazon). Hope that helps some. Buen Camino.
Fr Scott, Thank you for your advice.

I would certainly never seek out suffering deliberately, and I would also say that it is an unavoidable element of the human condition.

Relative to the Camino, my own fundamental encounter with it, in the physical sense, was my 1994 from Paris - - i.e. that entire Camino, wonderful as it was.

Because I averaged 42K / day, including rest days, which led to my whole body being in constant pain for 44 days pretty much non-stop.

As to that, trudging through suburbia and industrial areas, by comparison, is trivial.

But it does also mean that now, 18 years later, and now that my disability makes things painful non-stop, it won't stop me from walking my current Camino.

But there's another aspect. The more beautiful and tranquil parts of the Way are enhanced by one's experience of the uglier and more urban ones, and I would certainly not appreciate this current stretch of the Francès through cool wooded Galicia had I not spent some days trudging through the stifling hot suburbs of Porto. Though the anticipation of the nature ahead helps one appreciate the urban areas a lot more.

Each have their attractions, and it's probably not much of a surprise that whilst we spend most of our hiking time out in the country and wilderness, we tend to sleep in the towns and villages, not out in the woods and wilds.

€46,-
I had bad shin splints in an earlier Camino but since then I have used compression shin covers ( brand -Skins) .No more shin splints for me.

THE JOURNEY

The morning sea of silence broke into ripples of bird songs;
and the flowers were all merry by the roadside;
and the wealth of gold was scattered through the rift of the clouds
while we busily went on our way and paid no heed.

We sang no glad songs nor played;
we went not to the village for barter;
we spoke not a word nor smiled;
we lingered not on the way.
We quickened our pace more and more as the time sped by.

The sun rose to the mid sky and doves cooed in the shade.
Withered leaves danced and whirled in the hot air of noon.
The shepherd boy drowsed and dreamed in the shadow of the banyan tree,
and I laid myself down by the water
and stretched my tired limbs on the grass.

My companions laughed at me in scorn;
they held their heads high and hurried on;
they never looked back nor rested;
they vanished in the distant blue haze.

They crossed many meadows and hills,
and passed through strange, far-away countries.
All honor to you, heroic host of the interminable path!
Mockery and reproach pricked me to rise,
but found no response in me.

I gave myself up for lost
in the depth of a glad humiliation
—-in the shadow of a dim delight.

The repose of the sun-embroidered green gloom
slowly spread over my heart.
I forgot for what I had traveled,
and I surrendered my mind without struggle
to the maze of shadows and songs.

At last, when I woke from my slumber and opened my eyes,
I saw thee standing by me, flooding my sleep with thy smile.
How I had feared that the path was long and wearisome,
and the struggle to reach thee was hard!

Rabindranath Tagore

Original Bengali not found, and this translation may be by Tagore himself, in fact it has a rhythm and swing as if English were the language it was written in. A polymath and self-taught, Tagore was a near contemporary of Gandhi and like him, he opposed the Raj but was also opposed to chauvinistic nationalism. The message could be simplified as saying that it is not necessary to endure great hardship to attain enlightenment, and an attitude of struggle may even be an impediment, but you do need to be aware of the world around you and your place in it. Some pilgrims seem to approach the camino as if it were an endurance test, and Tagore is possibly saying that there is no merit in hardship for hardship’s sake. Being happy is not a sin.1665990713503.png

1. I have not led a life blessedly free of all suffering.
2. The fact that I am typing this is solid evidence that I made it through.
3. Sometimes suffering makes us stronger; sometimes it weakens us.

I generally walk through the big cities because I want the complete experience. But given a choice between walking the industrial entrance to Burgos, "pounding the pavement", or taking the river route into the city, I'll take the river route. I will try and wear shoes that fit and are suitable for the terrain, and adjust my backpack so that it fits properly and weight is distributed appropriately, although I am sure I could suffer more if I don't. Suffering isn't something I seek out for its own sake.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't even view walking through the Industrial segments as "suffering". They are certainly annoying areas - but interesting in their own right. A reminder that industry is needed to sustain the communities around the industrial areas. I love the bragging rights of being able to say I walked from SJPDP to Finisterre/Muxia or from Hendaye to Santiago. I walked across an entire freaking country - TWICE! Through the beautiful and through the monotonous and through the industrial segments too. Sure - the industrial areas are ugly - but that makes me appreciate the beauty of what is beyond them even more.

I got a shin splint after a week and feared I may have to end my Camino. I taped it using this technique and shortened my stride. The shin splint gradually improved and was pretty much gone by the time I finished.

€46,-
Thank you, Viva.
I think shortening my stride was key. With the shorter stride, the angle between the foot and the shin was smaller after the heel hit the ground, resulting on less strain to the shin. It resulted in a slower pace, but that was a small price to pay for continuing my Camino. The tape also helped quite a bit. Using Lukotape I could go days without re-taping which made life simple.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back