Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Walking around Spain

Noel & Annie J

Year of past OR future Camino
We’re just beginning to plan our 2022 walking adventure. We’d like to start with the Camino Frances and then do the Portuguese Camino in reverse. From Lisbon we’re thinking that we will walk around the coast of Spain to Barcelona. Eventually, we think that we’ll end up in Rome.

Any suggestions for the Lisbon to Barcelona route?

John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
Any suggestions for the Lisbon to Barcelona route?
The Fishermen's Trail, the coastal route of the Rota Vicentina, starts at São Torpes, about 120km south of Lisbon (nearby Sines and Porto Covo are reachable by bus from Lisbon or if you'd rather take no transport, you could look into walking Lisbon-São Torpes). From São Torpes it's 13 listed stages on the Rota Vicentina along the coast via Sagres at the southwestern most point of Europe to Lagos. The Sagres-Lagos stretch overlaps with an ecovia that you can walk all along the Algarve (south) coast of Portugal to Vila Real de Santo António, across the river from Spain. I'm not sure what you'd do from there but that would get you started at least!

Noel & Annie J

The Fishermen's Trail, the coastal route of the Rota Vicentina, starts at São Torpes, about 120km south of Lisbon (nearby Sines and Porto Covo are reachable by bus from Lisbon or if you'd rather take no transport, you could look into walking Lisbon-São Torpes). From São Torpes it's 13 listed stages on the Rota Vicentina along the coast via Sagres at the southwestern most point of Europe to Lagos. The Sagres-Lagos stretch overlaps with an ecovia that you can walk all along the Algarve (south) coast of Portugal to Vila Real de Santo António, across the river from Spain. I'm not sure what you'd do from there but that would get you started at least!
Thank you so much for sharing this information!

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
I can't help directly with your question but I would like to suggest that after Santiago you could spend a week to walk SdC-Finisterra-Muxia-SdC (or the reverse way) before going to Portugal. It is a good walk but really I'm suggesting it because I would love to say "I started in France, walked completely across Spain to the ocean and then down to Portugal."

If at Barcelona you decide not to go to Rome you could walk the Camino Catalan de San Juan de la Peña to the Camino Aragonese to the Camino Francés. Then backwards a day to Pamplona and then the Camino Baztan in reverse back to France. That would have your track completing a circle around Iberia.

Have a nice walk (no matter how you do it).

Last edited:
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Camino Del Estrecho, Ruta Fray Leopoldo,
Vía Serrana, Camino Francés
The Sagres-Lagos stretch overlaps with an ecovia that you can walk all along the Algarve (south) coast of Portugal to Vila Real de Santo António, across the river from Spain. I'm not sure what you'd do from there but that would get you started at least!
To continue on from this point along the coast of Spain, here's a recent GPX track that will take you from Ayamonte (across the river from Vila Real de Santo António to Tarifa where the excellent GR7/E4 route begins. Along the way, you will cross the Parque Nacional de Doñana, 30 kilometers of untouched wild beach, best walked on the firm sand at low tide, with a boat ride on a ferry across the Rio Guadalquiver to Sanlúcar de Barrameda at the end of the day. It is a glorious walk!

Click on the author's name for the rest of the route.

Casa Ivar Pin
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
You’re correct. It’s been a while since I posted. We’re now in the Netherlands.
In isn’t of. So, are you subject to Schengen visa limits or free as the proverbial? Knowledge qualifies advice. As in I would never advise an innocent to test the echo in the Reading Room of the British Library but I would give that advice to one who should know better 😉

🤣 I'm only laughing 'cos, as an ex-public servant, I can recognize a slide when I see one. I spent my career trying to get a straight answer out of a safety-pin 😉

Thru 2022. You might make it all the way round. Buen Caminos

Casa Ivar Pin
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Noel & Annie J

🤣 I'm only laughing 'cos, as an ex-public servant, I can recognize a slide when I see one. I spent my career trying to get a straight answer out of a safety-pin 😉

Thru 2022. You might make it all the way round. Buen Caminos
You’re very astute! The corona regulations have been areal impediment to our “Europe“ plans.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads