• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking around Spain

Time of past OR future Camino
CP 2022
We’re just beginning to plan our 2022 walking adventure. We’d like to start with the Camino Frances and then do the Portuguese Camino in reverse. From Lisbon we’re thinking that we will walk around the coast of Spain to Barcelona. Eventually, we think that we’ll end up in Rome.

Any suggestions for the Lisbon to Barcelona route?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Any suggestions for the Lisbon to Barcelona route?
The Fishermen's Trail, the coastal route of the Rota Vicentina, starts at São Torpes, about 120km south of Lisbon (nearby Sines and Porto Covo are reachable by bus from Lisbon or if you'd rather take no transport, you could look into walking Lisbon-São Torpes). From São Torpes it's 13 listed stages on the Rota Vicentina along the coast via Sagres at the southwestern most point of Europe to Lagos. The Sagres-Lagos stretch overlaps with an ecovia that you can walk all along the Algarve (south) coast of Portugal to Vila Real de Santo António, across the river from Spain. I'm not sure what you'd do from there but that would get you started at least!

The Fishermen's Trail, the coastal route of the Rota Vicentina, starts at São Torpes, about 120km south of Lisbon (nearby Sines and Porto Covo are reachable by bus from Lisbon or if you'd rather take no transport, you could look into walking Lisbon-São Torpes). From São Torpes it's 13 listed stages on the Rota Vicentina along the coast via Sagres at the southwestern most point of Europe to Lagos. The Sagres-Lagos stretch overlaps with an ecovia that you can walk all along the Algarve (south) coast of Portugal to Vila Real de Santo António, across the river from Spain. I'm not sure what you'd do from there but that would get you started at least!
Thank you so much for sharing this information!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can't help directly with your question but I would like to suggest that after Santiago you could spend a week to walk SdC-Finisterra-Muxia-SdC (or the reverse way) before going to Portugal. It is a good walk but really I'm suggesting it because I would love to say "I started in France, walked completely across Spain to the ocean and then down to Portugal."

If at Barcelona you decide not to go to Rome you could walk the Camino Catalan de San Juan de la Peña to the Camino Aragonese to the Camino Francés. Then backwards a day to Pamplona and then the Camino Baztan in reverse back to France. That would have your track completing a circle around Iberia.

Have a nice walk (no matter how you do it).

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Sagres-Lagos stretch overlaps with an ecovia that you can walk all along the Algarve (south) coast of Portugal to Vila Real de Santo António, across the river from Spain. I'm not sure what you'd do from there but that would get you started at least!
To continue on from this point along the coast of Spain, here's a recent GPX track that will take you from Ayamonte (across the river from Vila Real de Santo António to Tarifa where the excellent GR7/E4 route begins. Along the way, you will cross the Parque Nacional de Doñana, 30 kilometers of untouched wild beach, best walked on the firm sand at low tide, with a boat ride on a ferry across the Rio Guadalquiver to Sanlúcar de Barrameda at the end of the day. It is a glorious walk!

Click on the author's name for the rest of the route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You’re correct. It’s been a while since I posted. We’re now in the Netherlands.
In isn’t of. So, are you subject to Schengen visa limits or free as the proverbial? Knowledge qualifies advice. As in I would never advise an innocent to test the echo in the Reading Room of the British Library but I would give that advice to one who should know better 😉

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
🤣 I'm only laughing 'cos, as an ex-public servant, I can recognize a slide when I see one. I spent my career trying to get a straight answer out of a safety-pin 😉

Thru 2022. You might make it all the way round. Buen Caminos

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
🤣 I'm only laughing 'cos, as an ex-public servant, I can recognize a slide when I see one. I spent my career trying to get a straight answer out of a safety-pin 😉

Thru 2022. You might make it all the way round. Buen Caminos
You’re very astute! The corona regulations have been areal impediment to our “Europe“ plans.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is so sad 😢. When things calm down a bit around the world I would love to get a visa to stay in Spain for at least a year.
It would require a multilateral agreement which I don't think would go over well in the US. We would have to allow Europeans the same luxury to visit here. There are alternatives but most of them require investments in real estate of a certain amount.

It would require a multilateral agreement which I don't think would go over well in the US. We would have to allow Europeans the same luxury to visit here.
It is possible to get an extended stay in the US. On the Appalachian Trail I've met an Mexican and an Austrian who got extended stays of six months to be able to hike the entire trail.

In case anyone is interested here is a nongovernmental webpage that you can use to get started with the project. It's not official but easier to read than the official stuff:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back