• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking at Easter

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Is there a sense of how many people walk over the Easter period? In particular, is there likely to be an influx of Spanish pilgrims or Spanish groups who fill up the albergues? And when do they walk (ie. starting in Semana Santa and going on to Easter Monday?) I am planning to be on the VDLP then and want to be forewarned.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
During Holy Week the schools are out and you will find many Spanish walking sections of the Camino due the short time span. There was always room in Albergues and not reservations required. At Sarria there are many people beginning there Camino so it more crowded but that time of year there are still plenty of beds. As one shop owner told us this time a year we see pilgrims, after May we see processionals. We walked March and April 2016. We spent Easter in Logrono.

Attachments

• 12472739_10208708435287026_547703404031692757_n.jpg
    12472739_10208708435287026_547703404031692757_n.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 12512655_10208708435847040_3263964629133415195_n.jpg
    12512655_10208708435847040_3263964629133415195_n.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 12
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is there a sense of how many people walk over the Easter period? In particular, is there likely to be an influx of Spanish pilgrims or Spanish groups who fill up the albergues? And when do they walk (ie. starting in Semana Santa and going on to Easter Monday?) I am planning to be on the VDLP then and want to be forewarned.
We were on VDLP over Semana Sancta this year... biggest problem was finding shops and cafes open. Only had trouble with accommodation in one town. We didn’t ever book.

Have only walked the CF so can’t offer any real info. For me, Semana Santa was pretty mad but I loved every minute and would do it again in a heart beat. So many Spanish pilgrims walking and so many opportunities to torture them with my pigeon Spanish. I made friends who didn’t speak English and I walked with them on and off for the whole period. That was a first for me. And heaps of pilgrims in albergues when I was more used to having whole, sometimes a bit scary, albergues to myself. I always managed to get a bed but sometimes it did get a bit cosy and once I was lucky not to be the pilgrim sleeping in the kitchen.
PS been trying to post some pics to illustrate this post but for some reason its not working. Not sure why...maybe my internet connection but if it does fix itself I will post the pics. Just to raise a smile. :)

All is well. Here are the pics for previous post. My overflow mattress in the loft is the one with the green sheet. I did have a nice neighbour.
48FD76C3-3F25-4FEF-854A-DB9CCE3B74AF.jpeg DD741E49-75A1-4AEF-A16D-945BE5B0742D.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmm mods still not working properly. I successfully posted three pics and only two showing. Have tried posting the third again and it’s not happening. This hasn’t happened to me before. Maybe my internet or maybe not?

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.