• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking at night... ??

caitlin_s

So I'm an enormous night-owl and I was thinking it could be lovely to walk a little of the camino overnight - perhaps some of the meseta?
Has anyone done this? Is it feasible? Is it safe? Can you see the stars beautifully or is Spain too built-up for that anyhow?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it would be sweet under a full moon!
I did get lost once walking in the dark.. it's DARK out there!
So... you'll just have to try it!

caitlin_s said:
So I'm an enormous night-owl and I was thinking it could be lovely to walk a little of the camino overnight - perhaps some of the meseta?
Has anyone done this? Is it feasible? Is it safe? Can you see the stars beautifully or is Spain too built-up for that anyhow?
Hi!

You could try it! The stars can be absolutely stunning, and the Meseta would be a good place. Just remember that albergues have quite strict closing times so if you find yourself where you don't want to be at 3am you could be a bit stuck. People on the forum talk about using bivouacs, but I've never tried it. Good luck!

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If this is what your Camino brings to you, do it! What an incredible experience this can be!

Keep a smile,
Simeon

A full moon on the Meseta would be perfect because there is no forest.
The arrows will be difficult to find and headlamps would ruin the experience.

I would only do it if I had a couple of other pilgrims that I trust walk with me.

I love walking at night and in the pre-dawn. It is quite magical. However please remember that in Spain nowadays all pedestrians walking in these hours are required to wear a reflective vest.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Too Many Choices said:
If one were to walk at night, what would be the best leg to walk? Safest, most easily navigated?
I was thinking of that while reading the earlier posts, and thinking where it might most easily and safely be attempted. There isn't anywhere where there wouldn't be some difficult points to navigate, but I think the Meseta and Tierra de Campos would be worth thinking about.

On the Meseta, the stretch from Rabe to Hontanas was pretty much on a well formed track. With a good moon and clear sky, it would be the best I could think of. After that, Itero de la Vaga to Fromista wouldn't be too bad, noting that you would need to take care getting through Boadilla.

I am not sure what your thinking is about when you might start and finish. Walking in good moonlight will be easier, and it is easy to calculate when that will be. More difficult is the weather, and an overcast sky is unlikely to help.

I think the difficult piece of the logistics puzzle is where you end up in the morning, and at what time. The normal cycle of the albergues, hostels, etc will be that they expect to be empty for cleaning etc until early afternoon. If you arrive too early, you may need to make some special arrangements for a place to stay.

Leaving seems less problematic, although you wouldn't want to make a mistake and leave anything behind only to find you couldn't get back into the albergue. I never found an albergue where one couldn't leave early, although there were places that clearly discouraged that. Others in the forum have spoken of places that lock the doors to both entry and egress, but I didn't stay at one where that was the practice.

Regards,

Hi there, i too love walking in the dark.
i found (sept and october) that i had a pattern of getting up at 6am and leaving the alburge by 6.30 am, that it was often quite dark until about quarter to eight. I always had my head torch around my neck and preferred to walk alone and in the complete dark. it was amazing how much your eyes could pick up and if i felt a bit confused ,direction wise, i could turn on the torch for a few minutes to decide which way to go. i recall i had a particularly magical morning leaving O'cebrerio in the dark, with the mist swirling.
I loved walking into the dawn and enjoying the light gently emerge... it was my favourite time of the day.
On several days i started walking again in the afternoon and ended up not arriving to my destination until evening Eg 9.30pm... it was a full moon and visibility was good. There was no one around and i had to work to slow myself down and not rush but it was so quiet and beautiful and i felt safe within myself. I found i was lucky to get a bed, on both occasions i got the last bed in the albergue... but that's not to say it was the last bed in town.
enjoy the Way, it really is a remarkable experience. juju

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
dougfitz said:
On the Meseta, the stretch from Rabe to Hontanas was pretty much on a well formed track. With a good moon and clear sky, it would be the best I could think of. After that, Itero de la Vaga to Fromista wouldn't be too bad, noting that you would need to take care getting through Boadilla.
Yes, dougfitz. That section sprang to mind for me as well, especially between Hornillos and Hontanas. If I remember correctly there aren't too many places to go wrong in terms of directions, and there's the albergue at San Bol about half way if an injury or similar happened. (OK it would be closed for the night, but I'm sure nobody would be so pedantic that they'd turned away a genuinely injured pilgrim!)

That really boring straight walk between Carrion dlC and Ledigos would probably best be experienced at night in my opinion, but there's nothing to fall back on there if anything went wrong.

From Boadilla to Fromista just be careful not to fall into the canal.

Buen Camino!

Hi Caitlin
I agree that the meseta is the best place to walk at night,2 years ago I walked the Camino real diversion on the Meseta at the full moon,it was magical and the clearest night ever,I will never forget the star show that night but what I forgot was the Meseta its quite high (read cold).
every time I walk the Camino's I always walk at least once through the night always with other people and sometimes fueled by drink,one night after a 24km walk 4 of us didn't like the look of the dirty albergue and walked 17km more ( stumbled) only to find ourself at 6-30 am with nothing to do but walk another 24km to our bed for the night-the next day (sunday)we walked 40km to the next large town,it was madness but a great memory -the 4 of us sat in the main square toasting our walk of just over 100k with just one nights sleep. It was foolish but the moment lives with me still.
the Camino Albergues can be a bit full of rules, book in now leave now everyone booked in by 2pm and all tucked up by 10pm,it is so good and so full of freedom to have the Camino all to yourself but do it with safety and try and find kindred spirits to do it with.
Ian

Wow, thank you all so much for your thoughts especially for the suggested legs and stories from those of you who have done this. Sagalout, I think I'm pretty sold based on your experience!

I think I'll just see how I go and if I *do* happen to find myself with a good companion (this is probably something I'd rather not do alone), a clear moonlit night, a plan as to where to sleep at the end of it, (and a little vino? hehehe), in one of the recommended spots I'll perhaps give it a shot.

:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you're walking in the summer, keep in mind that there's still light on the Camino until fairly late. I had nights where it wasn't fully dark yet at 9:30-10pm. The latest I personally walked was 6:30pm, and from a personal standpoint, I wouldn't recommend walking at night. Not sure if there's another reason beyond being a night owl, but also, you have to leave most albergues by 8am, so you can't really sleep in. My feeling is that it can mess up your rhythm (which I found to be very noticeable on the Camino) or not get the rest that your body (and mind) will need. I was in bed by 9:30pm (!) on most nights because my body just wanted the rest. Many pilgrims go to sleep even earlier....

Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

I also love to walk at night and have done it here at home often, always in a group always with a phone for emergencies (you will need Spanish for a midnight rescue) and always with a tent. The Meseta would be good for the stars and easily walked in parts, should you need a light to find your way or during a rest/food/drink break you will loose your night vision for at least 20 minutes and probably after shutting down and forget the stars, you will stumble about like a drunkard since you cannot really see. I prefer to walk the Camino in spring, sun is up late and down early so that one may leave the albergue and walk ten minutes from say Boadila (En El Camino my favorite of the entire way) and have stars plus dovecots, ten minutes from Castrojeriz down by the river, or even by the frog pond in El Burgo Ranero. The advantages? First of all a bench to sit on in total darkness instead of several hours stumbling about, secondly a place to share with a good companion(s) and a good conversation and a bottle of wine, thirdly true communion with man/woman and the universe of stars around you. True you won’t have many bragging rights, but that’s not why we walk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
AikidoSteve, it looks like you're having the same problem on the forum that I am having. When you try to post, you do not get a block to write your message in, right?

The trick is to go ahead and post, then go back and EDIT your post.
Somehow that works.
Annie

Hi Caitlin,

Yes it is feasible and I felt quite safe walking alone at night. However, I am a man and would never recommend this to a woman. Will leave it to your own sense of comfort and safety.

In June 2013 I decided to walk alone thru the night under a full moon on the Meseta and it was the highlight of my Camino. It does take a bit of logistical planning as it breaks the daily rhythm.

I walked a short day on the day before, checking into an albergue in Poblacion in the early afternoon and getting a few hours sleep. I had all my gear ready so I could get up and out without disturbing anyone. I began walking around 1am. I had to use my torch once or twice for route finding but otherwise walked in the moonlight. I had a few owls for companions. The stars were not too spectacular due to the bright moon. Outside of Calzadilla de la Cueza after the sun rose, I became tired and stopped for a short nap beside a canal. I walked on to Ledigos where I stopped for the day and checked in early to an albergue. After getting to bed early, I was up at my regular time before dawn and back onto my regular rhythm.

If you have company or if you are comfortable, I would say "go for it". For myself, the silence was a big part of the experience and I would only do the night walk with someone else if we had an agree my to walk in silence.

Steve

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Full moons during the summer of 2o14 are around the 12th of each month.
My favorite story about walking at night came from a young couple from Germany at dinner one night in Sahagun. They asked me if I knew there was a special Compostela for walking the Camino at night, I took the bait and said I'd never heard about it. The responded very straight faced it was a "black piece of paper" and then broke out in a very hearty laugh at my expense.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Rabé to Hornillos (but be careful, I believe you do have a bit of a road stretch as you come into Hornillos.
Hornillos to Hontanas must be beautiful too
Castrojeriz to Puente Fitero would be great

I love, as a personal choice, leaving the albergue long before dawn, particularly in the meseta; I love it when the sun rises and I have already been walking for one hour or so.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was staying at the municipal albergue in o'cebriero, and the huge dorm was pretty full. I chose a bunk near the exit, in anticipation of a rush for the washrooms in the morning. I was fast asleep, but awoke to someones cell phone going off. I figured that this was the start to a bunch of alarm clocks going off, so decided to roll up my sleep sac, brush my teeth, grab my pack, and head out. After tying up my hiking shoes at the building exit downstairs, I turned on my ipad to see how far it was to the next town. When the ipad booted up, it displayed the time. 3:20am!!! Being wide awake at this point, I decided to just go for it. Outside there was no moon whatsoever, and one could see the mikyway stretch across the sky. It was magnificent. Following the trail into the woods, it was so black that you could not see your hand in front of your face. I carefully backed out and thought about what to do. I noticed that the roadway was quiet, and it had a white line marking the road edge. It also had a wide shoulder to it. I followed this into town. The views of the sky against the background there was awesome.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Caitlin
I agree that the meseta is the best place to walk at night,2 years ago I walked the Camino real diversion on the Meseta at the full moon,it was magical and the clearest night ever,I will never forget the star show that night but what I forgot was the Meseta its quite high (read cold).
every time I walk the Camino's I always walk at least once through the night always with other people and sometimes fueled by drink,one night after a 24km walk 4 of us didn't like the look of the dirty albergue and walked 17km more ( stumbled) only to find ourself at 6-30 am with nothing to do but walk another 24km to our bed for the night-the next day (sunday)we walked 40km to the next large town,it was madness but a great memory -the 4 of us sat in the main square toasting our walk of just over 100k with just one nights sleep. It was foolish but the moment lives with me still.
the Camino Albergues can be a bit full of rules, book in now leave now everyone booked in by 2pm and all tucked up by 10pm,it is so good and so full of freedom to have the Camino all to yourself but do it with safety and try and find kindred spirits to do it with.
Ian

Might have known this was Ian who wrote this, haha! I was reading along, wrinkling my nose (I've walked at night under the full moon a few times, but never 100k at once (yet)) and then I looked to see who'd written it and... of course. :D

It will be an extra fun Camino for me this year, walking partly in Ian's memory. I plan to visit a couple of places he recommended to me over the last few years, and I'm sure I'll feel his spirit and protection.

Ultreia y Suseia!

Rachel :)

P.S. Further to what dougfitz wrote, it can be really easy to miss possessions in the dark when getting ready to leave early-early in the morning. I carried a woman's bra to her in 2015, almost all the way from Boadilla to Carrion de los Condes! She'd left it hanging on the end of the bed in our room, and the bra was black, and she got up at about 4am so it was still black in the room also. ;) I figured I'd see her again somewhere that day, but it's easier to get packed as much as possible the night before if you plan to get up and leave overnight.

Hi Caitlin
Ian
This is the answer I was looking for. I know this reply is 10 years later, but still applies. I was wondering if anyone has just powered through the last 100k. I know, everyone has to make the Camino their own experience. Not that I am going to do this, but it has been on my mind. My wife and I are planning to do the last 110k from Sarria to Santiago in September of 2022 and taking a week.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.