• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking backwards

knawn

In Summer 2007, I am planning on walking the Camino Frances from Pamplona to Santiago. I would then like to walk from Santiago to Porto, the Camino Portugues, except in the opposite direction. Does this sound feasible? Has anyone else done this? How difficult might I find the trail to follow?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
returning

Sorry this is not a reply but while on this subject does anyone know the “rules” regarding staying in refuges on the return journey?
If I go to Santiago say by Camino Frances then turn left and go home down Via de la Plata does that count or is that pushing the limits of what is intended?
Has anyone walked back and what is the attitude of people running the refuges?

regards
Michael

"...ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein".

Good afternoon

I am no authority on this. But when we were in Melide (camino frances), in October 24 , We met a Portugese gentelman, who walked all the way from Portugal to Santiago and was walking back and as I understood from him, there were no issues about staying on his back ward journey.

Regards
Bharat

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am told that theoretically if you have got to Santiago and collected your compostela this is accepted as proof that you are a pilgrim on your return journey. Whether you have to return the way you came I cannot tell you.

William

Ann (http://www.walk2rome.me.uk/) walked from Santiago to Rome this year.
She started in Santiago and don't think she had any problems staying in the albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
the main problem is that the arrows in Galicia only point in one direction, so may be ambiguous or not there if you're going the other way. In Portugal, the routes are supposed to be marked both ways: yellow to Santiago, blue to Fatima, but it's not too clear at the moment (at least, to me ;-) ) what the status is on this. The marking was supposed to have been finished in August, but there's still been no official announcement.

On albergues, the 'rule' is supposed to be that you need a credencial to stop in the albergues; end of rule. It shouldn't matter which direction you are going, or how many stamps if any you have in it. I seem to remember someone telling me they used a fresh credencial for the way back, but that's not compulsory. If you use a different route, you may want a fresh one to get more room for stamps. In Portugal, you can simply say you're going to Fatima.

You do mean a credential Peter, don't you? :?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Fatima

Am I correct in assuming from these posts that there is a marked route from Santiago to Fatima?

I just might have to explore that opportunity.

Walking backwards - Fisterra to Portugal

I have a similar query. I will finish the Camino Frances early in the 2nd week of July. After a few days relaxing, I then want to walk South along the Camino Portugues into Portugal, although i still haven't decided the finish point. There have been a few posts on this, ie the Portugese due to finish road markings etc - does anyone know if this has been completed? Do the refugios in Portugal operate more or less the same as in Spain?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's right, there are blue :arrow: on the Camino Portugues that show the way to Fatima. I've seen them as far as the Camino Frances, but more so on the C Portugues.

Buen Camino,

XM

knawn, all is feasible on the Caminos :!:

It is your Camino, a metaphor for life some may say.

I'd suggest that you plan and more so "live" it as such :) .

Going "backwards" Comp-Porto sounds great :lol: I've met peregrinos that have done it.

Do it :!: :!: :!:

Buen Camino,

XM

davo77

Hi davo77,

albergues in Portugal operate pretty much like the ones in Spain.

Have credencial, will travel.

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
TO MICHAEL

Hi Michael,

The “rules” regarding staying in albergues are pretty much the same on the return journey.

Don't understand your question: "If I go to Santiago say by Camino Frances then turn left and go home down Via de la Plata does that count or is that pushing the limits of what is intended?" Please clarify what you mean as "counts" (towards what?).

Has anyone walked back and what is the attitude of people running the refuges?

I've never done it but as shared previously have met peregrinos, no too many, that were doing it. The attitude I observed in hospitaleros was ditto to that of any other pilgrim.

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm

As of July 2006, there were fairly consistant blue arrow markers from Santiago to at least Tui.

I met at least one person making the fatima pilgrimage via a return route from Santiago - so it seems common enough!

Good luck,
Athena

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yo A DRIFT!! Loved your blog...your photos were wonderful...the sunrise (?) on the road was esp. beautiful! As well as the poetry! Thinking I might bring a book of poetry instead of a "regular" book, when we go in late may. Somehow it seems more appropriate! Wishing you all the best on your journey..both ways!! Go for it....I still have a teather and land line....can't quite drift ... yet! It will come!

Buen Camino,
Karin

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back