• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking barefoot across Puente la Reina

Hey Jude

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April '23
Camino Portuguese Feb '24
Today as I left Puente la Reina I noticed Pilgrims on the other side of the bridge were putting their shoes and socks back on. I asked about this and some Italian pilgrims told me about the tradition of walking across the bridge barefoot, not on the smooth part but on the rough part. They couldn't tell me why, but I obliged and took my shoes and socks off and walked back towards the town and then back over the river and on my way.
Does anybody know the origin of this tradition or if in fact it is actually a tradition?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Interesting to read that the narrative of walking barefoot over the bridge of Puente la Reina is apparently alive in the blogosphere of the pelligrini on the Cammino di Santiago.

At the time, we stayed in a small hotel in Cizur Mayor, a bit away from the pilgrim bubble, and in the morning when asking for the best way to join the Camino again the local receptionist told us that pilgrims take off their boots and walk barefoot over the bridge.

As I said in the earlier thread I could not find much about any historical connection online. So the question remains: Is it a modern myth that has seeped into local awareness or is it the other way round? :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At least one Italian pilgrim documented the feat on his blog - note that he walks in the middle of the road, apparently another “must”. Another one calls it a medieval tradition. Unless proven otherwise, I suspect that is no more a medieval tradition than the bringing a stone from home or the prayer that is said in the movie at the Cruz de Ferro, namely no century old tradition at all. But why not do it now? There is nothing wrong with it … 😇

1681713353502.png

The Chilean Circle of Friends of the Camino de Santiago knows about walking barefoot over the bridge, too. So it is definitely “a thing”. Btw, it is not unusual that Camino pilgrims with a common linguistic background have a ritual that other pilgrims don’t know about or don’t practice. We know this as a fact from pilgrim reports from the Middle Ages. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
asked about this and some Italian pilgrims told me about the tradition of walking across the bridge barefoot
there was some tradition of walking barefoot over the bridge in a post a few years ago. Italians were mentioned at the time. Maybe it's an Italian thing?
Thank you! You two provided the missing clue for this puzzle ☺️.

The Italian Wikipedia article about the Romanesque bridge of Puente la Reina mentions a tradition of barefoot walking. The source is a guidebook, page 60: Guida al cammino di Santiago de Compostela. Oltre 800 chilometri dai Pirenei a Finisterre - 9 gennaio 2023 by Alfonso Curatolo and Miriam Giovanzana. The guidebook has already reached its 14th edition. For comparison, Brierley is in its 19th edition and Roth in its 16th edition.

So there we have it. Of course now someone can ask the authors what their source is 😇. My guess, or rather my hope, would be that it is a report by some medieval Italian pilgrim.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Today as I left Puente la Reina I noticed Pilgrims on the other side of the bridge were putting their shoes and socks back on. I asked about this and some Italian pilgrims told me about the tradition of walking across the bridge barefoot, not on the smooth part but on the rough part. They couldn't tell me why, but I obliged and took my shoes and socks off and walked back towards the town and then back over the river and on my way.
Does anybody know the origin of this tradition or if in fact it is actually a tradition?
There are lots of traditions some I have heard of others not. This falls into the 'not' category. Personally I have my own tradition. Never walk back unless you have left your water bottle under an overpass 😂😂. Enjoy whatever comes your way but I would not recommend going barefoot at any time. Just one mishap to your feet and your Camino could be over

Maybe in the old days, you wouldn't have to pay a toll if you crossed the bridge in bare feet. It's traditional now.

Maybe in the old days, you wouldn't have to pay a toll if you crossed the bridge in bare feet. It's traditional now.
The original bridge is just some ruins in the water.

The "old" bridge is a modern one, underwater when the reservoir is full. Never a toll bridge.

The new bridge was constructed at the same time as the dam, and the relocation of Portomarin uphill.

I've been lucky these past few times to walk across on the "old" one.

I guess there can be a "tradition", crossing the "old" bridge when it's only lightly covered by water, of shoes off to wade across on top of it without soaking them ?

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back