• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking boots or shoes?!

cailinnua

Hi everyone,

Maybe this is a silly question, but for someone travelling April, would a good pair of walking shoes be sufficient or are boots needed? I believe a lot of it is track/path/road, and not hilly, mountaineous conditions as such...

Any thoughts weclome!

Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
cailinnua said:
Maybe this is a silly question...
No, actually it is a very good question.
However, for will get various views given as the correct answer, and there is probably no correct answer, just peoples preferences based on their experience.
My preference was and remains, light weight mid ankle boots.
Buen Camino.
Col

Col is right, this question regularly gets a good discussion. You might try searching the site first and then coming back if you have a specific question that hasn't been answered.

Regards,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To quote my previous Authentic Pilgrim™ guide:

Footwear: Boots, Shoes or Sandals?
This is one topic on which the Authentic Pilgrim™ sees no bad choice. It comes down to personal preference. HOWEVER, the Authentic Pilgrim™ reminds you that whatever footwear you choose must not contain ANY for the following materials: Rubber, plastic, nylon, polyurethane, and most metal alloys. Basically, unless you made your footwear out of rawhide and the sinew from a deer that you poached from your Lord’s lands (or, of course, you are the Lord), you are dangerously close to becoming an effete poseur.

Seriously though.... I want to put in a good word for Salomon boots, especially the Quest 4D GTX (http://www.rei.com/product/780681/salomon-quest-4d-gtx-hiking-boots-mens. I like them because they are a boot (i.e. ankle support and goretex) but based on Solomon's train running shoes. For ME, they are the perfect balance, especially with the variable weather of spring. However, footwear is a VERY personal choice with an almost infinite number of variables, needs and preferences. The only universal is to make absolutely certain they fit well and have been well broken in before you start the Camino.

¡Buen Camino!

A very good question, I have seen people walking in boots, shoes, sandals, even Crocs HOWEVER, you will be carrying everything on your back so have mercy on your knees, on your back and above all on your future mobility - 3/4 height boots are just the thing and yes Salomon boots are expensive but mine finished two Camino walks from St Jean before they were retired!

I once saw a lady walk by (past Leon on a rocky bit) walk by in what looked like dancing shoes. They had no hard sole that I could see and looked to be all cloth with little sparkles on the toe. :shock: The surprise is that she and her partner walked very quickly by us and we were not walking slowly. She was carrying a full pack.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Go raibh míle maith agaibh go léir!

I bought a pair of hiking boots last weekend and gradually breaking them in-should be ready for when I make the journey in April...30 days-yes I am counting!! :D :D

Buen camino a todos

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.