• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Boots Vs. Trail Runners

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The trend these days seems to be towards trail runners, but there will be different opinions. As you got plenty of time before you go, find a shop that allows you to try footwear out for some time to get a feeling for what works for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The trend these days seems to be towards trail runners, but there will be different opinions. As you got plenty of time before you go, find a shop that allows you to try footwear out for some time to get a feeling for what works for you.
Hey, @stgcph, this is off topic, but I just noticed you are wearing RED socks in your avatar photo...awesome! :p

Trecile, @C clearly puts her whole backpack in a drysack every night, so I was asking her about what brand it was and how much it weighed.
EDIT: I think I put this post on the wrong thread! Lol.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Aah, poor @MMoore they asked an innocent's question and got the forum's replies...
Wear what feels good, fits your budget and that you have worn for a good few Kms before you set out on your Camino .
You will be walking asphalt, cobbles, mud, gravel and a few other textures too. Most forms of available footwear will cope. What you're feet are happy with is the crunch.

My strong vote is for the Sandals with socks. Currently, I am on the Camino and have been walking in them almost exclusively. I imagine I will need my hiking shoes if it rains but so far no rain. The Camino is littered with hightop hiking boots.

My strong vote is for the Sandals with socks. Currently, I am on the Camino and have been walking in them almost exclusively. I imagine I will need my hiking shoes if it rains but so far no rain. The Camino is littered with hightop hiking boots.
I found that sandals were great in rain and mud! They clean up and dry much faster than shoes.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@davebugg is not currently posting, but he has a wealth of information about boots vs. shoes vs. runners. If you search using “shoes” and put his name in the “BY:” box, you will find a lot of food for thought. This is one of my favorites: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-boots-for-cf-october-2018.56516/#post-636397

Full disclaimer— it was thanks to @davebugg that I finally made the move to trail runners, after 18 caminos in boots and hiking shoes. So I am one of those annoying converts, but my feet have never been so happy over a 1,000 km walk!

I wore solid hide Scarpa hiking boots for years and Vasque Sky walk boots for decades .
They are now retired , mementos of my youth and past exploits .
I still bushwalk as often as I can , the Merrell Moabs I wore to walk the last two Caminos are now my footwear of choice . My bushwalking mates are also converts now , after making me suffer ridicule for wearing '' runners '' for serious work , none of them will go back to boots let alone mid heights .
Old boots .JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I always wear sandals, but recently bought a pair of neoprene trail runners, on the basis that I would be walking a winter camino in. They are a brand known for having a very wide toe box, which I need, having feet like those of a duck. Felt good when I put them on and wore them for a few days. I then wore them bushwalking. That was the test. After a few hours one foot started to ache, and the more I walked, the more I ached. A weird pain along one side of the arch of that foot. So I switched back to the old sandals. Instant relief. I don't think there is anything wrong with the trail runners, and I will wear them as casual shoes, but obviously my feet are a particular shape and only like certain lasts. So for my winter camino it will be the good old sandals again, together with waterproof, breathable, socks (Sealskinz or Dexshell).

The lesson is that you just have to find the shoes that make your feet happy. And, I say to myself, don't try to re-invent the wheel!

on this subject - used to be big on hiking boots/shoes but since visiting the forum I have tried trail runners and I am converted, they are really comfortable and lightweight. Bought two pairs of Saucony, great fit and well made.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I find that with socks, they are perfectly fine for rain and puddles; after a while, socks dry quickly as you keep moving. Socks are a MUST, even if they may not look glamourous, they prevent a nasty film of dirt forming between the sole and your skin, and protect you against small sharp bits like loose gravel or the odd seed that gets stuck.

Boots would be excessive in ALL the caminos I have done so far, there are no really wild descents or rocky nasty climbs in any camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In 2017 my wife and I started our Camino in Merrell trail shoes and Hi-tech hiking boots respectively. By Pamplona our feet were in serious trouble and we were on anti inflammatory and pain pills. My wife changed to her Keen CNX and I to thin sandels for the next 600+ km. This year we walked for 39 days covering just under 1000km in Keen CNX sandels wearing socks, with no foot issues at all. The choice is yours!!

Having had five and six days of snow on my last two spring Caminos, I am not really sure how sandals would go but snow should not be a problem for you. I agree with others that boots are totally excessive for Camino walking and I have seen many with terrible blisters from them. That said, walking on hard surfaces can be very hard on the feet and plantar fasciitis is a real risk if you do t have really good arch support. For me I prefer solid but well ventilated walking shoes. I hate those with so called breathable membranes as it is like walking with your feet in a plastic bag as they never breathe as well as shoes without a membrane. Anyways for me the key factors are super comfortable, lots of room around your toes, a really good arch support, and good underfoot cushioning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Simple running shoes that have more support and cushioning than trail runners with Scoll inner soles

Absolutely! Boots for alpine mountain treks, trail runners for rocks and boulders, Adidas padded running shoes with Scoll inners for Caminos - sorted

Thanks folks... First Camino and I have some many questions.. Forum like this is invaluable to someone doing this for first time...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear trail runners, my husband wears boots - we are both happy with our footwear choice. I guess it is an individual thing. Just make sure that you do a good few miles in them before you go. If you have an REI store close by - you have a year to return items if you are a member ($30 for membership, I believe but well worth it) In theory - you could do the Camino and return them when you got back - but that would really be cheating !!!!!

I wore Saucony Peregrine 6 Trail Runners. I broke them in for about 100 kilometers on the hills here on Fidalgo Island while wearing a pack. On the Camino, I had a twice per day ritual of rubbing Vaseline (vaselina in Spanish) into my feet in the morning and after showering at the end of the hiking day. I wore a silk liner sock under a medium weight Smart Wool sock while hiking. I did not have a single blister much less a hot spot. Shoes, like my trail runners, including regular running shoes, have about an 800 kilometer life span. Good for one Camino Frances. Because feet tend to swell from the constant day after day walking, I bought my Sauconys a full size larger than I normally wear. If you are fortunate enough to have an R.E.I. (Recreational Equipment Inc.) store near you, the shoe folks are familiar with Camino adventurers and can offer expert advice on what to wear. I took along an extra pair of liners, but did not need them as the Everun cushioned liner that comes with the trail runner was excellent. I took the liners out of the shoes to air them every night.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Never met a blister that wasn’t attached to a pair of boots.
I never had a blister that wasn't caused by sandals. I have worn boots on all my pilgrimages, and the only time I got a blister was the day that I wore sandals in Pamplona. Never when I have been wearing boots. I changed my evening footwear to a pair of closed toe shoes, and wear boots during the day, and have never had a problem since.

And I saw plenty of people with blisters who were wearing a variety of footwear, mainly those wearing shoes, but boots and sandals as well. I acknowledge that most of the time I wasn't out to systematically record what caused more blisters, and I am aware that I might have had some observational bias. That said, some time ago I was the blister fixer on a group walk on a shorter camino, and there were more blisters and more severe blisters affecting those wearing shoes that anyone wearing boots. No-one on that walk wore sandals during the walking day.

Like others have said go with what's comfortable for you. Needs to be a good fit for the weight you're carrying. Personally I walk in boots, always have done and I appreciate the ankle support. Mind you, boots today are SO much lighter and more comfortable than when I started out back in the 1970s!
Ultreïa

In 2017 my wife and I started our Camino in Merrell trail shoes and Hi-tech hiking boots respectively. By Pamplona our feet were in serious trouble and we were on anti inflammatory and pain pills. My wife changed to her Keen CNX and I to thin sandels for the next 600+ km. This year we walked for 39 days covering just under 1000km in Keen CNX sandels wearing socks, with no foot issues at all. The choice is yours!!
+1 My hubby & I had same experience in 2013. Tevas saved my behind! We both got LaSportiva trail runners in Pamplona saved us. No break-in period needed. Getting ready for another Camino in trail runners this summer.

Attachments

• 20181010_172603.jpg
    20181010_172603.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
After reading the praises for trail runners, etc. decided to buy a good pair and try them out for my next Camino. Have worn Meindl boots on 2 prior Caminos. Since I am a walking tour guide, they were going to get a good trial, tramping through the city.
Really liked them at first, but if I walked for over 10km, my feet just ached as the soles were not near as thick and cushy as my boots were. Tried all summer long to like them better, but by Sept. decided to go with my Meindl boots again. Was completely happy with this decision. Those boots feel so wonderful on my feet.

Never a blister either, but am unconventional and wear knee high compression hosiery (the cheap kind for 2€) and wool socks. A bit of body glide on my little toes though, but do this at home too.

Saw plenty of women getting blisters with their shoes, so this is not a specific shoe/boot problem in my opinion.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would vote for trail runners and specifically HOKAS!
Just finished the Frances and did it with HOKAs Bondi5 and loved them. No blisters, I was maybe lucky but my feet were happy in them. Thank you @davebugg .
But I agree try different things and use what makes YOUR feet happy. Buen Camino.

Planning Tui to Santiago next May.. Currently trying to decide on walking boots or trail runners.. For those of you that have walked this route what would you recommend.. Thanks..
I walked again in my Salomon goretex lightweight boots this year Porto to Santiago and loved them. Not a blister or sore muscle or anything. Around me others in lighter shoes were going down like flies. These I have also walked half of the French way 2 years ago. I swear by them. The heat...no problem. The cobblestones....good protection. I wear merino socks over cotton socks and also have merino wool to tuck around any possible hot spots.

Okay, I did Le Puy-Pamplona in Vasque boots. Poorly sized, but not too bad, especially with BOA closure. For continuation next year, Pamplona-Santiago-Valenca-Santiago-Fisterra, I ordered larger Asolo boots (already had two pair of a normal size for local use here on NSW midcoast). Those Asolo boots did not come in time and I was forced to make a last-minute purchase of oversize Columbia mid trail shoes in a Sydney shop.

Those cheapish Columbia mids (the waterproofing was good for about ten seconds) worn with Superfeet, liner socks and bulkier socks, were so comfortable I never took them off except to go to bed. Would you believe, they are still with me years later.

As a side-note, the midsoles of all three pairs of Asolos (the third came eventually) just disintegrated in storage over time. If you check the internet this has been a common problem, or was for a while. Hope it's been fixed. Such shoes are no longer made in quaint towns of the Veneto. Look and feel great, but...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I second the La Sportiva Trail Runners (mentioned above). I had very bad foot luck doing 3 caminos with Merrill walking shoes. (Not sure why I kept trying with the Merrills!) I wore waterproof La Sportiva trail running shoes the last two caminos and did very well with them and plan to wear them again in the spring (new pair). I can't imagine doing a camino without waterproof shoes. Even if there is no rain there are always puddles to get through, at least in the spring and fall (don't know about summer).

I’m walking with these - https://runrepeat.com/altra-lone-peak-35-mid-mesh
I really need the ankle support while leaving the achilles as free as possible. With a pair of insoles it’s like walking on clouds. The bottom of my feet hurt the first day on pavement, now, they’re fine. And with Injinji socks, not a blister yet!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For non-alpine walks I always use breathable running shoes! Can't beat them. Trail runners are totally unnecessary. Non-waterproof works best for me. Super comfortable across hundreds of miles of hard pavement, asphalt, concrete, cobblestones and hard packed dirt paths. Last year on the CF I lost count of the number of people sending their big leather boots home and buying Teva sandals or running shoes.
New Balance.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A good pair of Teva sandals, with socks. Unbeatable!
I agree on Teva sandals and socks. On word of caution, in wet weather I walked from Cruz Fer downhill for 20km and seriously damaged ligaments and tendons on front and side of leg /ankles.Still suffering 3 weeks on!

Planning Tui to Santiago next May.. Currently trying to decide on walking boots or trail runners.. For those of you that have walked this route what would you recommend.. Thanks..

Don't forget ribbon on shoes. I walked with a man that his shoes shrunk on him. At the end of the day he found out his shoes on a pilgrim that his shoes were too big. Funny for us but not for my friend. Other man's wife had ribbon and put it on his shoes. Same brand and same style.

Hi there,

I did the Camino last year and like you were concerned about footwear. I ended up taking a pair of New Balance cross country shoes and my favourite Crocs (Duet Sport Clog). We started at St. Jean Pied De Port and I decided to try the Crocs and walked over the Pyrennes to Pamplona (via Orisson) in absolutely appalling conditions and at no time did I have a slip or any incidents. I then decided to stick with the Crocs during our walk and had no blisters or any issues whatsoever. The great part was that at the end of the day when everyone was trying to dry out their boots or runners I would just rinse the Crocs under a tap , wipe them dry with a paper towel and then wear them to dinner - Crocs rule !!
Please note that I only did 250 k's because of time restrictions but next time I go I will be taking the Crocs for sure.

Buon Camino,

Peter

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just completed the CF from SJPdP to SdC - zero blisters. Wore Altra Lone Peak 3.5 trail runners - straight out of the box, though I did train in another pair of the same shoe. I liked the 'zero-drop' (ie no heel, your foot is flat) aspect of the shoes also - they are very comfortable and well cushioned with good rock plate protection. I wore Injinji inner toe-glove socks, pure wool, and thicker pure wool outer socks - even when the shoes and socks were fully wet my feet stayed warm and comfortable. Wore the matched Altra trail gaiters also - not waterproof, they don't claim to be, but just to keep loose stones etc out of the low-cut shoes - very good. The shoes are not waterproof, they are light mesh, but dry quickly. One other aspect is the very wide toe box - great if you have wide feet like me - and it also accommodates your feet spreading under the load of your pack and daily walking. Go for a size or a size and a half bigger than you normally wear to allow for spread and the downhill sections where your feet need some room in the front of the shoe - or your toes/toenails will suffer. Wear was acceptable over the 800km - probably not another CF left in them , but certainly good for 4-500 km more I think. Cooee

Just finished the CF in New Balance Gobi2 trail runners. Marvelous!
No blisters. BUT...I tested 10 other shoes before I decided.
Also, went one full size up. Your feet will spread out over the long distance.
Find what makes your feet happy.
If you get a hot spot testing, you'll blister on the Camino.

I find that with socks, they are perfectly fine for rain and puddles; after a while, socks dry quickly as you keep moving. Socks are a MUST, even if they may not look glamourous, they prevent a nasty film of dirt forming between the sole and your skin, and protect you against small sharp bits like loose gravel or the odd seed that gets stuck.

Boots would be excessive in ALL the caminos I have done so far, there are no really wild descents or rocky nasty climbs in any camino.
Whoa, really? I am a runner. I buy expensive running shoes. None would have stood up on the Camino Frances. When I came home I walked 10k in them and felt every ripple in the road. Fully agree with my choice of Salomon mid hikers with Wright double layer socks (various weights). Zero blisters. Weighed only a few ounces more than my runners and show virtually no wear over almost 1000k. Friends walking in runners had massive foot issues and left them behind at the end because they were trashed. No right answer here. The key is to walk in them for 500k before you go. If no rubs or hot spots that's your footwear. If anything at all shows up on your training, wrong shoes!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not the same Brand of shoe dose fit everyone. Believe it or not. Adidas are good for some , mérell are for others viceversa.
Find the appropriate shoe for yourself and forget recommendations.
Some recomend whisky as best drink, others water, vodka, wine or beer who is right?
Which is the best backpack? Anther dilema and a sleeping bag.... I can’t use mummies....

after reading so many rave reviews about trail runners I decided to give them a go, bought a pair and was in love. That was walking around town, up to 10km, mostly pavement, brilliant.

Then I hit the more challenging territory of rocky mountainous areas which involved some climbing, lots of uneven paths etc and my feet protested after a couple of hours. No blisters but they really hurt, the soles were too giving for this kind of territory. So I am not sure now if they will be suitable for me for the Camino, or if I should stick with my hiking shoes, which have a firmer sole.

I did the VdP South from Sevilla to Salamanca in Crocs Cross. My only pair of shoes on the VdP South! I walked about 100 km on the CF in Crocs, 100 on the CN, 100 on the CP. I really can recommend Crocs. As first or second pair. Depends on the weather, yes. Dry feet in airy shoes. Extremely good for people with blisters, too. Take a shower at night and get new shoes!

The other pair are Inov 8 trail runners. That setup works and is lightwight, fast drying and you have a second pair of useful shoes to walk.

So iI would recommend the trail runners!

Greetings
DonCamino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I gave up on heavy sweaty boots some years ago and walk in Keen Newport H4 trekking sandals, in all weathers (no, not snow!!) - wide, comfy, great supporting inner shape, with a thick sole --

but - Hey, Americans and others .. I am not absolutely certain but I think it is illegal in Britain to wear socks with sandals! ;).

Doing first aid on Camino the main blisters problems I meet are to do with the wrong footwear, not boots versus runners or sandals but the wrong size .. mainly too small and/or too narrow ... but have never met anyone wearing trekking sandals who had blister/foot problems and moved to wearing boots.
I meet many - Many! who had problems when wearing boots so tied the boots to the pack, and carried on wearing their 'evening' sandals and the problems disappeared, and I have met casualties who did that when I helped them and I met them days or a week later, in their sandals with no more problems.
(mind you, another excellent method of losing foot problems is to halve the backpack weight and post the rubbish on to Santiago!).

Dougfitz is a serious tour hiker with decades of practical experience and knowledge but he and I have different experiences (and possibly opinions on this) because we do slightly different things. I only ever work on those individuals who are hurt and never those who are ok, so my opinion on footwear generally is somewhat skewed towards what I meet, whereas Doug does his first aid on a whole group therefore his opinion is not 'random casualty' skewed as he sees all of his varied group each day, and has done for years - so any opinion from him should be valued.

In the end, it is comfortable, well fitting footwear that do the trick, and we are all unique in our foot shapes and needs - what works for one will not work for another - so be careful, try them all on, go to the stores (all of them!) in the afternoon when your feet are bigger, and so on - and only ever buy footwear that have soles thick enough to protect against rocky pebbly terrain.

Just my opinion.

David, were you doing first aid on feet around 22 Sept. in Cizor Menor right outside of Pamplona? I think the place was called Mirabels?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think I was one of the few without blisters. It was a pleasure meeting you. Thanks for donating so much of your time to fix people up.

Another option in terms of trail runners. Wear what makes your feet comfortable.
These are Lowa Aeox GTX mid trail runner, expensive but no wear in period needed and they are very light weight. I own 2 pairs of Lowa’s the other being Lowa renegades GTX however I felt they are heavy for the camino walking. I also used a really good set of inserts and carried an extra pair which I switched out mid way from St Jean to Santiago.
I used Wright socks lined blister resistant hiking socks. And proper techniques to tie the laces. No blisters, no issues.
My camino April-May walked in 2 weeks of nonstop rain, freezing temperatures, mud, more rain, flooded trails, snow. I have knee issues and I have to wear a heavy metal brace so proper support is essential for me. Update: I am ex military 21 years...and it took a toll on my feet/knees.. so I can say I know about boots for me... these are more of a supportive trainer. Just another option choose your own depending on your feet and the time of year you will walk, this option worked for me.

Attachments

• D628AB73-4430-482A-BBC9-97E83757027B.jpeg
    D628AB73-4430-482A-BBC9-97E83757027B.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 2ABEC54A-DD38-4A8C-8E3A-022CAA7ECB84.jpeg
    2ABEC54A-DD38-4A8C-8E3A-022CAA7ECB84.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
High boots are unnecessary on the Camino unless you have a fatal tendency to sprain your ankles. Higher boots mean to rise additional 300g with every step you take. I felt pretty comfortable in low hiking shoes both on the Portugues and on the Primitivo.

For the Camino Tui-Santiago which I have done twice, depending on the time of the year, sandals or running-shoes or trail-runners (if suitable for streets, not for forrest tracks) would equally do.

Goretex looses function if it is 30°c or above. Shoes without GTX may get wet, but they are drying quicker.

BC
Alexandra

yours might be a different style

Yes, mine are Crocs "Cross". And i had an additional thin sole on it to prevent sharp or sticky punctures. 44 grams. I can´t find the crocs Cross anywhere the last year. Phantastic shoes!

like these: https://eu-browse.startpage.com/do/show_picture.pl?l=deutsch&rais=1&oiu=https://rukminim1.flixcart.com/image/612/612/jm81zm80/sandal/j/5/y/202651-23b-48-5-crocs-brown-original-imaew6psn4qhz7wk.jpeg?q=70&sp=d91386a3387357f8e890db191477ec4a&prfe=67d6f7efcd45238dc5da976ba89cf2c14a8f5caf8db14135e802f1a4c3332bbc25d9a23f3f9e4c830fbadd75a82a8395&op=un&t=default

But I walked some hundred kms (almost 100 on every of my caminos) in normal crocs like shown above (black ones ;-). No problem, never. Dry airy feet, broad, no buckling, nothing.

Last edited:
Regarding the Camino trail and the "right shoes", there are a few spots where I wished I had some more ankle support, which is provided by hiking shoes/boots.
BUT...they were such a small part of the whole Camino.
The Camino is much more of a "walk" than a "hike".
Pavement and gravel roads abound. Going down a long, long hill on an easy trail will test your feet too!
Again, it's the walking day, after day, after day...14 miles a day, every day that gets your feet in trouble.
Test, test test different shoes before you go. Settle on the most comfortable shoe for YOU. Also test socks!

Ive done frances 4 times and Portuguese once. Trails runners are good but you could also do regular running shoes. Hiking boots or shoes are too much unless maybe you are in blizzard conditions.

I have flat feet and thus I'm extra cautious in choosing shoes, even slippers. I don't trust brands though I must admit a have a pair of NB shoes, those are quite old. Does anyone here have the same problem as me? I'm currently reading this review and still can't decide. Maybe I'll go with NB again.

Hi, FastDB. The article you referenced have shoes that are odd choices for long distance walking or hiking. You might take a look at this article from Runner's World.

If you have other questions that you think I might be able to help with, feel free to send me a PM.

I have flat feet and thus I'm extra cautious in choosing shoes, even slippers. I don't trust brands though I must admit a have a pair of NB shoes, those are quite old. Does anyone here have the same problem as me? I'm currently reading this review and still can't decide. Maybe I'll go with NB again.
I'd look for an insole with anti-probation support, and a shoe with a wide toe box, so toes can spread wide. Most shoes don't have an insole that works for me and I replace with one that does.

FastDB, since you already have NB shoes try their Gobi 2 trail shoe. I also have flat feet and did the Camino last year in these and had no problems. The only advise that makes sense is to try many shoes. Order, walk around your house a lot and reject any that don't feel comfortable. Shoes are all important on the Camino. Also, order one size up as your feet will flatten/lengthen over so many miles.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.