• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino de Frances in November 2012

halerin

Time of past OR future Camino
future
i am trying to plan to do the Camino in end of October/November this year. but i do have some concerns regarding hostels being open and weather conditions. i would appreciate any feedback at all! im new to the Camino and am planning this a bit last minute, so all info. or advice is welcome!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
oh nice!! ... i have a friend that did it a couple years back in march, ive been 'quizzing' him constantly, but still trying to learn some 'details' about how it is in the fall/winter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
exactly, me too. im almost more concerned about that than the weather. im having a hard time finding 'clear-cut' information, atleast through the internet, about the hostels, which ones will still be open, and the mileage between, etc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Guys! I reckon you'll be fine. I've never walked early winter, but I walked this spring before some of the 'seasonal' albergues opened and finding accommodation wasn't a significant problem at all. If your budget stretches to staying in hostals every now and then that's great, and if you're happy to share a room with walking buddies it might not cost much more than an albergue anyway.

I was on the Camino last December doing some litter clearing and the weather varied from bright and crisp to rainy. Nothing to worry about if you are prepared for a bit of wet. That was just the Meseta, though, so the hills may be more extreme.

Buen Camino!

All of my caminos have been in late autumn/winter yet I have never had an unsolvable problem finding some pilgrim albergue open. However, not all albergues along the camino will be open; those that are usually know who is on the next etapa or halt. You can scan current opening information on line using the Eroski web site >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergues/. Most open albergues will either be heated or have blankets.

The municipal albergue in SJPdP stays open throughout the year. Similarly on the Valcarlos alternative route that municipal albergue is also always open as is Roncevalles. If you wish send me a PM and I will send you a list of where I stayed last October/November year and plan to stay later this year.

Whenever you walk you must be prepared for VARIED weather. Days can be sunny and glorious. However nights can be cold and freezing rain, dense fog or even snow might occur. Layers are the solution for warmth without weight.

Stay warm and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hello,
If you start in St. Jean Pied de Port, there is an albergue just at the bottom of the castle / fort that will give you a sheet of paper that has a list of albergues that are open along the way after 31 Oct along with a sheet of paper that has each daily stretch mapped out showing he change in altitudes and distance between main points (kind of an extremely basic guide). You will likely also notice that in the albergues, particularly the municipal albergues, there is message board that outlines the rules of the albergue (time for lights out at night, lights on in the morning etc.)...the message board might also have announcements like albergue closings if any in other towns along the way. If you are unsure and want to double check, if you have a guidebook with you, they often have the telephone numbers to the albergues; you can call ahead.
Cheers!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I'm excitedly planning a short notice Camino in November 2012, planning to start in Leon, though, as I can only take three weeks off of work, not five. I have done some research but never taken a trip like this and I'm just going to go with my heart... the camino is calling and I'm sure that there will be places to stay along the way. Hopefully I will see you out there!

-Elana :)

I am happy to see I am not the only one planning things at the last minute. :)
I too, just feel called to do this, and it feels like if I waited any longer the window for me to go would be past. Everything just came together... and so I said Yes, I will go.
I'll be starting out from SJPdP Oct. 18, on my own, with the Brierley guide for direction.
I'll be going slowly, especially at first, so can take my time.
I have found Margaret's blogs to be a wonderful source of information.
Even so... I am not the most organized person, not the most prepared pilgrim, and more than a little scared.
However, I'm used to camping and sleeping outdoors, and if I need to, I guess I'll sleep wherever I find myself.

Thanks JC for the suggestion about getting the list in St Jean. I hope to get one.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back