• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Frances during Easter 2017

Santiago17

Time of past OR future Camino
April (2017)
My sister (67)and I (71) will be walking from SJPP to Santiago beginning April 12, 2017 and reaching Santiago on May 20, 2017. The first week includes Easter Sunday. We have made lodging plans for SJPP, Orisson 4/12 and Roncesvalles 4/13 but am wondering how Easter vacation might impact lodging after Roncesvalles. We were hoping to plan lodging on a day to day basis after Roncesvalles but unsure of length of the Easter holiday and wisdom of reserving spots for the next week or two. I have been following this forum for awhile and have found so many helpful threads. Thanks in advance for any feedback offered to this first-time pilgrim.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have been walking three times during Easter week. I never had a problem with pilgrim accommodations. There are a lot of ceremonies, but I don't think they generate a lot of out-of-town tourists. They mostly are local participants. Hotels may be fuller, but there are a lot of hotels in the cities. Booking two weeks in advance will have the drawback of setting your daily destination long before you will know if it is attainable! Booking a day in advance is about all you need to do. Let your phone do the bed finding instead of your feet. Hospitaleros can help with the calls. Buen camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Assuming things haven't changed in the intervening years since I was on the CF during Easter. . . accommodations tend to fill up in the early afternoon . . . plan to get where you're going no later than 3 PM. Spain will be in holiday for an entire week. Many Spaniards (sometimes whole families) do a piece of the CF every year at this time so for that one week there is a moderate swell of people. That said I enjoyed their company enormously, chatting during meals, exchanging stories, etc.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am leaving SJPP on April 11, just a day before you! I hope to see you along the way. I also had the same concerns about the Holy week (Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday-- April 9-16) (Semana Santa) so I decided to get a reservation for each night before April 16. For what it is worth, I had no problem getting reservations (SJPP was the hardest). The fact that I had no problem getting reservations could possibly be an indication that it in fact wasn't necessary to get them in the first place. Buen Camino!

It's exciting to see how many of us on this forum alone are leaving around Easter. My friends and I will be behind you just a few days. It sounds like it will be a busy time. My last CF was in the fall. Can't wait to see how spring looks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too will be on the Camino that week (the Primitivo), and I was wondering what it would be like for accommodations. Last time I did the Primitivo, it was October, and I would call ahead for hotels when I didn't want to stay in an albergue. It worked out well. But now I'm wondering how far in advance I should book. I think my primary concern is Lugo, when I'll be there the 13th and 14th, if I stick with my intinerary.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back