• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Frances in February

Mark McGeachie

Time of past OR future Camino
Nil past. Plan Camino Frances February (2016).
I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in February 2016. There is not much I can do about the date. Is it practical to take the walk at this time of the year or is it foolish (weather etc)? Will there be accommodation at this time of year? Any advice on these aspects and on gear would be appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mark,

Winter is a wonderful time to walk but you must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms, ask locals for advice and take every precaution.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking by a Forum member Kialoa3 are his 2010 and later blogs

In bad weather many steep descents on the Camino Frances can be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. Winter 2012/13 the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate; read more here about this recent hazardous situation. Currently during summer 2015 local authorities have decided that the Napoleon route will be closed from November 1 to April 1. Read more about that decision here.

Other difficult stretches after storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, O Cebreiro.

Not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage. A new list of albergues Open in Winter should be available as a 2015/2016 Forum resource.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you might be the only pilgrim.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

In cold weather periodic bar stops throughout any walking day are necessary for a warm seat, coffee, hot chocolate or the loo. Futhermore I always carry basic rations since the only shop or bar in town may NOT be open during the off season! My basics include tea bags, packets which make a cup of soup (even including croutons), firm cheese, small sausage, simple cookies and some chocolate. Often these same ingredients serve as a predawn breakfast hours before any Spanish bar would dream of opening!

Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine

Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Mark, Margaret Meredith has done it a number of times (I've lost count - has MM?) and you can't go wrong with her advice. I did the Camino Frances in Feb and all I can say is that it is a different experience with different challenges - and totally worth it.

Ultreia

Rob

Hi Mark. I too am planning to walk the Camino Frances from February 2016, starting from St Jean Pied de Port mid-month and continuing through to Santiago and, probably, Finisterra and Muxia. I would be happy to communicate with you.

As others say, Margaret is a wonderful source of information on walking the Camino in winter. And, more generally, this forum carries a huge amount of useful data on all aspects of doing this great walk.

Cheers, Peter

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Mark. I too am planning to walk the Camino Frances from February 2016, starting from St Jean Pied de Port mid-month and continuing through to Santiago and, probably, Finisterra and Muxia. I would be happy to communicate with you.

As others say, Margaret is a wonderful source of information on walking the Camino in winter. And, more generally, this forum carries a huge amount of useful data on all aspects of doing this great walk.

Cheers, Peter
Hi Peter, I think you already have all the advice you want from Margaret.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Great information. I'm planning to walk too in mid to late February 2016. Doing regular training in SoCal and some cold weather training in Detroit over the holidays. :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Mark, Peter and Michael (and anyone else planning to do the Camino Frances starting in mid Feb)

I decided to do the Camino back in 2008 after I was going through a rough time in my life at that time. I promised myself I would do the Camino. I never "got round" to it because I was frighted, thought I would't have enough money, couldn't find anyone to do it with me.. etc. I joined this forum and participated in threads for years but again, never took the plunge and never did the Camino. A few days ago something devastating happened- a close friend of mine passed away. She was my age (30) and full of life. This was a huge wake up call for me and now I see life in a completely different view- all of my "priorities" were in the wrong order. I am re-organizing my life and number one on my list is the Camino. I decided to do it now. So I will also be doing it mid February this year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good on you @La_Hormiguita - as the saying goes "seize the day"! I truly do hope you have a wonderful, fulfilling Camino.

Hi Mark, Peter and Michael (and anyone else planning to do the Camino Frances starting in mid Feb)

I decided to do the Camino back in 2008 after I was going through a rough time in my life at that time. I promised myself I would do the Camino. I never "got round" to it because I was frighted, thought I would't have enough money, couldn't find anyone to do it with me.. etc. I joined this forum and participated in threads for years but again, never took the plunge and never did the Camino. A few days ago something devastating happened- a close friend of mine passed away. She was my age (30) and full of life. This was a huge wake up call for me and now I see life in a completely different view- all of my "priorities" were in the wrong order. I am re-organizing my life and number one on my list is the Camino. I decided to do it now. So I will also be doing it mid February this year.
Hi,
I start my Camino on 19th of Feb. Starting from St Jean. This is my first Camino too. Maybe our paths will cross :)
Mindas

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi La Hormiguita and others planning for a Feb start. I arrived in Paris today (Mon 8 Feb), leaving for Bayonne tonight and expect to head out from SJPdP on Wednesday. Look forward to catching up with any other forum members on the track around then. Cheers, Peter J

Hi La Hormiguita and others planning for a Feb start. I arrived in Paris today (Mon 8 Feb), leaving for Bayonne tonight and expect to head out from SJPdP on Wednesday. Look forward to catching up with any other forum members on the track around then. Cheers, Peter J
Hi, Peter,
All your information will be "hot" to me, coz I'll walk your footsteps one week later. Therefore, please share everything. :)
Buen Camino

Hi All

Starting from Pamplona on Tuesday (23rd) and walking into Puente la Reina that day with some friends, not first camino but first winter camino. Looking at Instagram lots of snow around right now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi All

Starting from Pamplona on Tuesday (23rd) and walking into Puente la Reina that day with some friends, not first camino but first winter camino. Looking at Instagram lots of snow around right now.
That was nice to meet you:) Are you going further?

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.