• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Frances in March 2018

trevorcc

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPD to Santiago 2013,2014, Camino de Levante Sept. 2016, Frances March 2018, planning 2020
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I am starting my fourth Camino around the15/16th of March leaving from St. Jean anyone leaving around that time? Is there anyone who walked that time of the year info would be appreciated as all my walks have been in Sept./Oct.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I am starting my fourth Camino around the15/16th of March leaving from St. Jean anyone leaving around that time? Is there anyone who walked that time of the year info would be appreciated as all my walks have been in Sept./Oct.
I'll be leaving on 11th March, but as I'm 70 don't expect to be very far ahead of you! this is my first Camino. Best wishes Susan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I will be starting from St Jean pied de port on March 18 or 19. First Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll be leaving on 11th March, but as I'm 70 don't expect to be very far ahead of you! this is my first Camino. Best wishes Susan
Hope to see you I am 68 started my first walk when I was 64.

My husband and I are doing our first Camino with the plan to leave SJPdP on March 15th with the plan of the first stop being at Valcarlos so we should bump into each other. :D
Always good to catchup with Canadians. Keep an eye out for me as I will be stopping at Valcarlos I have found that the first week should be slow to allow your body to adjust. I have seen a number race to Pamplona only to give it up hurt.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I will be walking with my husband and two boys (tweenagers). Arriving in Paris on the 16th March and traveling down to sjpdp some time between 17th-19th. Trevor, we are a couple of hours up the road from you in central Vic :) We are first timers.
where abouts any ifo find me on Facebook,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks, I hope so!!! There will be 2 of us. I'm 57, and my good friend Frank is 67, so we're not speed demons either. We plan to stop somewhere 1/2 way to Roncesvalles.

Thanks, I hope so!!! There will be 2 of us. I'm 57, and my good friend Frank is 67, so we're not speed demons either. We plan to stop somewhere 1/2 way to Roncesvalles.

I'm planning my first walk for a mid August to early September departure from SJPdP, 2018. If you've crossed the Pyrenees at that time, how cold does it get at that elevation? Thank you for any and all information you share.

I'm planning my first walk for a mid August to early September departure from SJPdP, 2018. If you've crossed the Pyrenees at that time, how cold does it get at that elevation? Thank you for any and all information you share.
It will be quiet warm, as I have walked in Sept. and found Pamplona 30c so August will still be warm.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How did you find the weather and was there snow about. Much Spring rain?
Hello Trevorcc, I asked a similar question on another thread.
Others suggested to me to check out: https://weatherspark.com/
I did and was impressed. They give great averages for typical temperatures and likelihood of precipitation, based on previous years of data.
Another good source for weather is https://www.wunderground.com/
Note: When I was using WeatherSpark, the city names are specific.... For example, I have noticed that several cities have two different names. For example, the city named: Luzaide/Valcarlos. To find typical weather in that city, I had to use the name: Luzaide. The name Valcarlos was not recognized.
Have fun with it!!! -kevin-

Last edited:
How did you find the weather and was there snow about. Much Spring rain?

fairly heavy snow the first day at the higher elevations and a few days of light snow. Only had light rain a couple of times. Had a few very cold nights in alberges with no heat. Fairly cool most of the time so hiked with a jacket on. No sweat and no bugs. Had a great time so I am going again in late winter/early spring.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My 18yr old daughter and I are starting in St Jean March 4th. Cannot wait.. Happy trails

Best day of the year to start a long walk! March forth on March fourth.

We'll be a day or two ahead of you... And undoubtedly slower, so you'll probably run into us. Buen Camino!

Thanks. Hope to catch up and say G'day. Path the way for us Buen Camino and safe travels.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Planning on a start at SJPP on 23 March with an overnight in Valcarlos.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back