• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino Frances in October-November

jstorybook

Time of past OR future Camino
October-November 2013
I am planning on walking the Camino Frances leaving St. Jean in October 8 2013 and arriving in Santiago around the middle of November. Has anyone walked during this time period? I wanted to walk during the season of Fall because I do not like really hot weather. What is the weather like in the Fall? Rain? Snow? Also if anyone is going to walk about the same time I am I would particularly like to hear from you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jstorybook: My brother and I will be one day ahead of you, starting our Camino in SJPP on Oct. 7.
The Camino France is on the same latitude as Chicago and we are planning to carry clothing and gear for cold, rainy and possibly snowy days. A gentleman named "Daperdave" walked the Camino last Sept. 27 to Nov. 5, 2012 and kept a journal for each day, with descriptions of the weather. You can read his accounts at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=393701

Since we are planning for colder and wetter conditions, we plan to carry packs weighing between 18 to 20 percent of our body weight with the increase in warm/dry gear. Remember, you'll be walking into winter and will pass through 3 mountain ranges on the Camino. If you don't plan to walk the entire Camino, you can always skip sections and travel by bus, car or train when the weather is bad or too cold/wet for your likes. Hope this helps and watch for "Team Bull" on the Camino.

Buen Camino!

I have walked several times in October and November, and did not need anything special. It can rain (a lot), but it also can be dry. Albergues begin closing at the end of October, so you may not be able to stay in some of the smaller places. Hospitaleros can be stingy with the heat, so a sleeping bag is useful. Higher elevations will be colder, and there has been light snow and ice at times. Gloves are necessary. I take lightweight neoprene, which is useful against rain and fog.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Its a good time to walk but as Falcoln says look out for the rain. Take note of the rest of his advice.

One thing I tried to do was to look out for albergues which were not only open but also do your laundry for you. It costs, but putting warm, dry clothing on from time to time will raise your morale no end.

Remember the old rule about layers. A woolen hat should be added to the gloves.

Jstorybook as mentioned above it's best to be prepared for rain, the cold and have layers!

I walked the Frances 5th October - 12th November 2010 and would recommend:

- A good Goretex jacket, brilliant for keeping the rain off (with waterproof pants & pack cover) and acts as a windbreaker when the winds whip up and they do get rather chilly!

- Gloves (somewhat waterproof if possible) and a beanie are essential for the early mornings especially as you get towards the end and the beanie is useful at night if the Albergue isn't heated

- If you tend to get cold at night a good sleeping bag is worth bringing, i used blankets over mine many times especially in the last 2 weeks

- Merino layers (such as Icebreaker) are fantastic for use day and night, don't weigh too much and don't require a lot of washing. I wore my longsleeve 24/7 for at least the last week and it held up fine.

Buen Camino!

Hi jstorybook!

I started my Camino walk last 9 October from SJPP and arrived in Santiago on 8 November. It was such an amazing journey that my Camino friends (family, actually) and I decided about a week before arriving in Santiago to continue our walk to include Finisterre and Muxia. I'm so glad we did--they were both highlights.

The weather was great--it was quite warm...though it did start to get chilly in the mornings by the time we got to Leon. I purchased a toque and gloves from one of the dollar store places in the city. I wore those pretty well every day until we were on the way to Finisterre. Seeing kiwi fruit, lemons and oranges hanging from trees convinced me that the winter gear was unnecessary!

I took a lightweight fleece jacket and had a really good raincoat. One of my shirts was a longsleeved wicking technical longjohn; when it was cool or cold, with the three layers, I was quite comfortable.

I had a pack cover for when it rained but also bought (several times) the cheap rain ponchos to go over everything during several days of relentless rain. Do yourself and your wallet a favour: don't buy those cheap ponchos! One lasted me about an hour after I put it on! If you want the extra rain/wind coverage, pick up an Altus (spelling?) poncho.

Sleeping bags? I took an ultralightweight one but found it far too hot in most cases. There can be so many people in a dorm room that it gets really hot. I only used blankets supplied at the alberques a few times. Next time I would take a sleeping sheet only.

I found that I took far too much stuff because I was concerned about the season and the possibility of weather changes. Next time I would take only half what I had. The items I mentioned above would still stay. I'd take a pair of tights and one pair of trousers that zip off to become shorts. You will find the weather can be hot--it was about 28°C and sunny on the day I started off!

Because there were fewer people on the Camino, it wasn't hard to find places to stay. However, several places were just about to shut down for the winter. One place, a bar with accommodation, was closing about two or three hours after we got to it! You might find this too, so be aware. The only time I had an issue was very close to the start, in Zubiri. It had been pouring rain and every pilgrim on the trail had gotten to the town before my friend and I, it seemed. There was no room at the inn so we made our way to Larrasoana. We got beds in the alberque there.

There were lots of folks walking so you will meet great people to walk with, to spend time with--if you want that. There are not as many as there would be in the summer months. It's easy to walk by yourself and not see anyone, if that is what you are looking for.

If I go again (and I'd love to--to go again this year--might see you there!), I would definitely walk again in October/November. The crowds are gone, the weather is great for hiking, and it's easy to find food and uncrowded accommodation. So it rains a bit. Pfffft. So what; you just walk on and through it.

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Heather
PEI, Canada

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Jstorybook! I will be leaving SJDPP on 4 (or 5) October. The only thing I am taking, apart from the standard gear, is a set of thermal underwear (top and bottom). I may not need it, but it's a case of better safe than sorry.

Hope to see you on the Camino!

I have often walked the CF in late October and November and hope to again this year. These are wonderful months to walk with generally clear days and chilly or cold nights. However you
must BE PREPARED for varied weather.

The welcome at those albergues which are open is sincere and the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. Most open albergues will either be heated or have blankets.

Weather is a continual camino preoccupation. Warm but lightweight layers are what to wear. Perhaps you would find my Kit list and blog Camino Gazetteer at http://mermore.blogspot.com/ useful. For me each camino day is a different blend of weather, topography, pack weight, personal strength and endurance; one never knows what each new day will bring.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

I walked from SJPdP to Fisterra (Finisterre) last fall. I started 25 October and finished 12 December.

The staff at the SJPdP office gave me a sheet showing all the 'official' Albergues on the camino. The list included dates that they were open. Quite a few of the public albergues were closed. The list became indispensable in daily trip planning in order to avoid overlong days and the risk of not finding a place when that overlong day was over. The list was not 100% correct. Many thanks to whomever put that list together.

Most of the private albergues (usually not on the list but shown in the guidebooks) were closed and so could not be relied on. (I didn't carry a cell phone to call ahead)

It was cool enough to require a jacket even when walking. It rained often, particularly in Galacia. A rain jacket was necessary.

About mid November it became necessary to wear light ragknit gloves and a scarf in addition to the jacket well into the morning. Frequently there was frost.

I encountered snow at O'Cebreiro (1300 meters) . The trail had several inches so I walked on the (plowed) road to Triacastela.

Once I got to Fisterra there were often short torrential storms and was glad I didnt get caught in any of those. Apparently the rains started late this year ... In minutes the streets are running with an inch or more of water.

Many of the albergues were almost too hot. A sheet liner was all that was necessary. But a lot of the private ones had heat on at low temperatures and for only the evening hours. There was a lot of rumour of bugs in the blankets so I was glad of the heavy sleeping bag I carried even if the -10 bag was overkill.

Oh yeah laundry. No way to dry clothes without the use of a dryer. The sun goes down early and doesn't give much heat. The radiators were usually occupied by wet towels and damp tshirts.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did it last year and I know I am going to get alot of slack for this but bring a hair dryer. It's worth it for drying your clothes. I am doing it again this year when I go in Oct.

lynettefoo said:
I did it last year and I know I am going to get alot of slack for this but bring a hair dryer. It's worth it for drying your clothes. I am doing it again this year when I go in Oct.

I agree. I got one which is 239 grams, it's wonderful. If I walk the camino again in the months when it's cold and rainy, I will definitely bring my hair dryer.

This is a great time of the year that you have chosen.It can be quite cold at night and early mornings - near perfect walking tempratures during the day. There will be a chance of snow in the high lying areas towards the end of your trip.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a question after reading whariwharangi's post. I know there is the Pilgrim office in SJPdP, where you can get all the latest news and 'alerts'.
Is there a similar facility in Roncesvalles? Due to schedule and travel constraints, we will start our second Camino next Oc. 2014 in Roncesvalles. Passports are not a problem, but news and notices would be nice.

Thanks. Buen Camino

Hi CaptBuddy,
There is no similar facility in Roncesvalles, but the volunteers who run the albergue can provide you with a weather forecast and news of what's next on the trail. Is there anything in particular that you want information about?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If one were to start walking from Pamplona in late Sept, does the pilgrim's office there have a list of the open alberques for the rest of the route? I understand that it is provided at St Jean but I am unable to determine if the same list is given to pilgrims who choose to start their camino farther along. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am planning on walking the Camino Frances leaving St. Jean in October 8 2013 and arriving in Santiago around the middle of November. Has anyone walked during this time period? I wanted to walk during the season of Fall because I do not like really hot weather. What is the weather like in the Fall? Rain? Snow? Also if anyone is going to walk about the same time I am I would particularly like to hear from you.
Hello! I'm starting from St. Jean around the 12th of October so I'll be a bit behind you but perhaps I'll see you at some point on the trail!!! My name is Elizabeth and I'm traveling from Portland, OR. Hope to meet you!! Happy trekking!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for those simple words of encouragement. I've been a bit concerned about walking in November/December, and am sure there will be 'cool' moments and all sorts of weather, but am hoping my experiences with eastern Canada winters will help. November is my only 'free month' to do this, so am adding a couple weeks to it in December, and give it a try. Thanks for the idea of the hair dryer. I'll see what i can find.
Shalom everyone.

hi guys n gals,
last June myself my sister and dad walked from ponferrada to Santiago it was the best break I
ever had,i have a week or so off beginning of oct and would like to take advantage of cheap flights from cork to
Barcelona and get some walking in I would be very grateful for any info on walking from Barcelona (funds are low just been laid off this week ) need to walk it off,
hope ye can help ,info on hostels etc,
jennie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hi kinkyone,
thank u for that info i am going to check it out ,so exciting to have a trip to start planning,
am hoping to go beginning of oct,
will let u know if the plans gets off the ground !
jennie,

That's great @jennie, because there aren't many pilgrims on this forum walking Cami Catalan. I'll try to find our member's blog of walking this route. I'll post the link here. It's very good blog btw!

B.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have now encountered news from Orisson that they close the 18th of October. I would love to go over the Pyrenees but concerned that I can not do it all in one day. Does anyone know of any other place to stay besides Orisson?
I shall hope to begin the trek on Nov. 3. I can go around by the road, but was hoping not. Any thoughts?
Also...I fly into and out of Madrid....any good ideas of how to get to SJPP?

Marlene,

Another place to stay on the route Napoleon over the mountain is the ferme at Honto . See >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-ferme-ithurburia
I have never stayed there since I always take the Valcarlos alternative and walk through the mountain pass. Here is info for the albergue in Valcarlos >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-de-luzaide-valcarlos and further comments describing the Valcarlos alternate route. >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...svalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/

Perhaps our paths may cross for I hope to be in Valcarlos on the night of October 16.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

You've mentioned to begin your trek on 3rd Nov. From this I guess you'll come to Madrid on 2nd Nov so that's the date my search shows as followed:

For buses: from Madrid Barajas airport terminal T4 you have 8 buses daily from 01:15 - 19:45. Duration is 4:45 - 6:30hrs. Cost: 31 - 44€. More here: http://www.alsa.es/en

For trains: from Madrid Puerta de Atocha train station (there is public transport from Barajas to Atocha!) there are trains at 07:30, 09:40, 15:05 and 15:30. Duration: 03:12 - 03:50hrs. Cost: 24 - 59€. More here: http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Vueling doesn't show any flights from Madrid to Pamplona from end of October on.

From Pamplona to SJPdP there is daily bus at 14:00, but as I remember it runs only to the end of September (???). Taxi-share or hitch-hiking... For taxi-share try to look at Camino Calendar on this forum: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-de-santiago-calendar.htm

Ultreia!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Marlene,

Another place to stay on the route Napoleon over the mountain is the ferme at Honto . See >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-ferme-ithurburia
I have never stayed there since I always take the Valcarlos alternative and walk through the mountain pass. Here is info for the albergue in Valcarlos >> http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-de-luzaide-valcarlos and further comments describing the Valcarlos alternate route. >>http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/

Perhaps our paths may cross for I hope to be in Valcarlos on the night of October 16.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Hello margaret , I follow you and read your blog that I like very much. I am looking for new posts on your camino 2013, bonne route

Thank you both for your information re. places to stay en route, and transportation from Madrid.
Sometimes I wonder if doing this solo for the very first time is worth the stress. However, I am determined to continue and with help such as yours, am sure will make it.
I shall be checking the websites and making more detailed plans.
I also may have to compromise here and there.
Shalom to you both.

hi;
my dad and I will be leaving st jean on the 9th so you will I am sure be a good bit ahead of us;also we only have
a week and intend to take it easy as dad is 60 + (fitter than me ) and I have not done much walking since we
walked from ponferrada to Santiago last year, am dreading the first day,just to let you know u will have some
friendly irish faces at your back ; -)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hi;
my dad and I will be leaving st jean on the 9th so you will I am sure be a good bit ahead of us;also we only have
a week and intend to take it easy as dad is 60 + (fitter than me ) and I have not done much walking since we
walked from ponferrada to Santiago last year, am dreading the first day,just to let you know u will have some
friendly irish faces at your back ; -)
I am also leaving St. Jean on October 9th--I am 61 :) maybe we will see each other?

Hello All,
I arrive to BArcelona on the 19th Oct evening and planning to go to Pamplona on the next day and to start from there. I always wanted to the camino and now having a month off I decided very quickly to go for it. I want to start from Pamplona as I am afraid to be slow and not to be able to do the entire camino in a month.
What do the experts think?
Anyone starting around the 21st Oct? I have also seen that many of you suggests to not to start Sunday or Monday.
I am a bit scared from the cold, so thank you very much for all the info above, I feel much better knowing that the weather will be managable :)

Petra

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
to all the brave peregrinos walking in the fall,

make sure you have a beanie and a waterproof gloves. keep warm.

buena suerte. que tengan un buen camino. que dios os bendiga y cuida.

I am beginning my 3rd day on the Camino. Weather is good though I had a rough crossing of the Pyrenees --definitely do not go down steep side through the woods.

€83,-
My sister and I will be on the Camino around Oct 4 so you may see us we are strollers- look for the 2 Kiwi sisters! probably stopping often to take photos and look around villages

I'm planning to leave from SJPDP on the 9th. Maybe I will see you on the trail. Buen Camino! Its right around the corner....

Thank you for those simple words of encouragement. I've been a bit concerned about walking in November/December, and am sure there will be 'cool' moments and all sorts of weather, but am hoping my experiences with eastern Canada winters will help. November is my only 'free month' to do this, so am adding a couple weeks to it in December, and give it a try. Thanks for the idea of the hair dryer. I'll see what i can find.
Shalom everyone.
Hi Marlene...did you end up walking in Nov/ Dec? I want to go this year...how did it turn out? Will I be frozen and wet?
Thanks ..Arlene

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Arlene,
I have the same questions and would love to hear how the hair dryer worked. We will join the Camino after Ponferrada end of November, and you?

I am thinking the beginning of November ...I am just worried about the cold...and places to sleep...
Not to worry. Bring layers, rain gear, hat and gloves. Some places will be closed but there will be many fewer pilgrims so there is plenty of accommodation. I walked in November 2012 from Astorga and am starting in mid-October this year from SJPP.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have now encountered news from Orisson that they close the 18th of October. I would love to go over the Pyrenees but concerned that I can not do it all in one day. Does anyone know of any other place to stay besides Orisson?
I shall hope to begin the trek on Nov. 3. I can go around by the road, but was hoping not. Any thoughts?

Someone told me / suggested that The Pyrenees should/ could be taken last on route from, say, Le Puy or from Biarritz instead of starting off with the toughest parts first.
Makes sense; after some days your feet and your legs and arms have gotten stronger and your resolve has been tested ...
I met countless people along the route as far as Burgos with totally ruined feet from crossing the Pyrenees as a start. They had either had the wrong footwear, i.e. trackshoes and found them unsupportive going downhill; or the wrong socks, i.e. with too much synthetic fibres and hence too much chafing; too little preparation - the reasons were legion.
I know I will take that advice and then do it when the weather is fair ...
Just saying....

Last edited:
That is brilliant advice. We have plans to walk the camino in 2017 (2016 is earmarked for riding through France), and the thought of starting off with an easier section makes sense. It is only the meseta that frightens me the most, as we rode the camino in 2013 and hated the long, flat route because it was essentially hot and treeless. although even on the meseta there were some engrossing moments.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sounds like a great time to go as there will be so many of us leaving St. Jean around the first week of October. I will be leaving St. Jean on October 5th and hope to see some of you. This is my third Camino, but first one in the fall. I am from Texas and love warm weather, but am always ready on the Camino for whatever. I am 71 and planning on going all the way to Muxia. Buen Camino to all

I have often walked the CF in late October and November and hope to again this year. These are wonderful months to walk with generally clear days and chilly or cold nights. However you
must BE PREPARED for varied weather.

The welcome at those albergues which are open is sincere and the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. Most open albergues will either be heated or have blankets.

Weather is a continual camino preoccupation. Warm but lightweight layers are what to wear. Perhaps you would find my Kit list and blog Camino Gazetteer at http://mermore.blogspot.com/ useful. For me each camino day is a different blend of weather, topography, pack weight, personal strength and endurance; one never knows what each new day will bring.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith
You are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your blog book and memories.

Hello All,
I arrive to BArcelona on the 19th Oct evening and planning to go to Pamplona on the next day and to start from there. I always wanted to the camino and now having a month off I decided very quickly to go for it. I want to start from Pamplona as I am afraid to be slow and not to be able to do the entire camino in a month.
What do the experts think?
Anyone starting around the 21st Oct? I have also seen that many of you suggests to not to start Sunday or Monday.
I am a bit scared from the cold, so thank you very much for all the info above, I feel much better knowing that the weather will be managable :)

Petra
I am starting 21 oct from Pamplona! My name is Barbara

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.