• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino from Tui - Santiago with a pram?

chezpatrice

Time of past OR future Camino
Tui > Santiago de Compostela
Hi guys

We're walking in a group of 5 + our 11 month baby for 6 days from Tui - Santiago de Compostela in early April.

We have bought a new Osprey baby carrier, but are now thinking of doing this with a buggy so our baby can sleep more easily in the evenings, and it'll be easier for getting around. Can anyone advise on what the terrain is like on this route? We're staying in:
Tui
O'Porrino
Arcade
Pontevedra
Caldas de Reis
Padron
Santiago

Is this a particularly easy/smooth section of the Camino? Are there lots of cobbles/roads/woods/uneven paths?

Have any of you done this section with a buggy and can recommend hiking strollers? Or anywhere to rent them? We have an iCandy Strawberry (4 wheels) which is great in a city but we're not sure whether this will be ok on the Camino.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, and a warm welcome to the Forum :)

Here is a site that includes elevation profiles of each stage.

As to the condition of each walking surface, perhaps these YouTube videos might help:

I am sure that others who have experience on that part of the Camino will also give you some good input.

There is a set of youtube videos of a young couple walking the Portugues with a young child, and using a stroller/buggy for some of it. That may be of some help to watch.
Here is their blog:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi there!
I have not walked with a baby, but that part of the Camino is mostly flat and there is a fair amount of stone and paved roads, which in your case will be helpful for the baby. Remind the parents to wear comfortable shoes though ;)

You will probably be fine, and your stages are very achievable. Enjoy! :D

Have any of you done this section with a buggy and can recommend hiking strollers? Or anywhere to rent them? We have an iCandy Strawberry (4 wheels) which is great in a city but we're not sure whether this will be ok on the Camino.

I would focus on obtaining a stroller meant for hiking or jogging. The wheels will aid to the ride's comfort and the wheel base will make it more maneuverable, which will help conserve the pusher's energy.

Hi guys

We're walking in a group of 5 + our 11 month baby for 6 days from Tui - Santiago de Compostela in early April.

We have bought a new Osprey baby carrier, but are now thinking of doing this with a buggy so our baby can sleep more easily in the evenings, and it'll be easier for getting around. Can anyone advise on what the terrain is like on this route? We're staying in:
Tui
O'Porrino
Arcade
Pontevedra
Caldas de Reis
Padron
Santiago

Is this a particularly easy/smooth section of the Camino? Are there lots of cobbles/roads/woods/uneven paths?

terrain's a bit bumpy leaving Pontesampaio (after arcade), that's about it.
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi guys

Tui
O'Porrino
Arcade
Pontevedra
Caldas de Reis
Padron
Santiago

Is this a particularly easy/smooth section of th
Camino? Are there lots of cobbles/roads/woods/uneven paths?

Hello!

I wonder how you got on?!

I'm doing the same route very soon with a four year old. Wonder if a 3 wheel jogger/buggy is suitable? I'm fairly strong and stubburn, but don't want to be stuck between a rock and a very hard place for days!!

I hope you had a fantastic trip!

Hello!

I wonder how you got on?!

I'm doing the same route very soon with a four year old. Wonder if a 3 wheel jogger/buggy is suitable? I'm fairly strong and stubburn, but don't want to be stuck between a rock and a very hard place for days!!

I hope you had a fantastic trip!
The person you are responding to joined the Forum in March 2019, when she started this thread, and hasn't been back since April 2019, so I'm not sure if we will ever find out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I met a woman with a 9 month old in a pram walking the Portugues some years ago. From what I could tell, it was the most rewarding AND the most unwieldy, difficult undertaking one might have. It's hard enough dealing with a baby at HOME, much less on a walking trip. But I guess I admire her for not letting childrearing tie her down.

I saw her struggling with the carriage up a steep rocky section of the trail. I thought about helping her. I didn't, but I thought about it.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back